Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Abu Dave posted:

Cool will do. It seems like the difficulty right now is either extremely easy or extremely hard. It's weird. Who developed this game anyways

Hudson Soft, apparently. It's a neat little game that I'm a big fan of (and is mostly way more fun than playing the card game irl)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
If I bought a 2DS but also would like to continue using my 3DS would I have to create a new Nintendo ID or can I use the same for both? I know you can't have 2 of the same console registered but does the 2DS register the same as a 3DS?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

edit: Never mind, found it in the eshop thread.

Fix fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 21, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

majormonotone posted:

Hudson Soft, apparently. It's a neat little game that I'm a big fan of (and is mostly way more fun than playing the card game irl)

It also has some of the best GB chiptunes. It's a shame the sequel never got an official English release.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

For Xenoblade is there a basic guide of character builds anywhere?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

For Xenoblade is there a basic guide of character builds anywhere?

Basically this:

Shulk: You can't screw him up. Focus on Back Slash and Monado abilities. He is literally impossible to screw up and designed that way.

Reyn: Tank. Tanky tank tank. Build him tanky. Focus on his aggro-drawing skills. Give him aggro-drawing gems. Enemies should be beating on him instead of another else.

Dunban: Dodge-Tank. Focus on Peerless, Serene Grace, Gale Slash, mix from there. When you get his AoE attack make it a mainstay. Give him agility/aggro gems OR strip his armor and go Naked if you max his leftmost skill tree. The latter is fun in that you don't need armor but you're probably better off with armor + gems.

Melia: Focus on her DoT skills. Earth, Ice and FIre are all great. Earth is the hardest hitting but has the longest cooldown. Bolt is very good but will drag aggro like crazy. Use it sparingly or as part of chain attacks. (Save Earth for x4 or x5 on chain attacks. Your poison damage stacks absurdly.). Give her Ether Up and Arts Aggro Down gems. Do not use Melia unless you plan to control her. Her AI is incapable of using her skills properly.

Riki: Riki can be built a billion ways but generally it's fine to focus on his Ether Arts. Level up Porison, Freeze, Burn, Paralyze, his heal, Hero TIme and balance from there. I like going for the attack that does more damage the more debuffs the enemy has (You'll be Sorry) which is great for chain attacks. Focus on DoT-buffing gems and Ether up.

Sharla: Bench her. Or if you insist on using her, focus on her healing and buffing. The thing to keep in mind is that she exchanges damage for healing. This results in battles taking longer and thus requiring more healing. It's a viscous circle. You can kind of build her damage-y but she'll be less effective than anyone else. Only pull her out if you absolutely can't beat a boss and just want to slowly heal-tank your way through.

The last character: You can kind of build her as a support character but the wiser thing to do is to go all-in on her absurd autoattack DPS. Get her fourth skill tree (A few sidequests in the village right after she joins, one of the easiest to get) and focus primarily on her buffs: Lock-On, Speed Shift, Healing Field. Final Cross once you get it is great for toppling and her verison of Back Slash and her x3 damage to topple attacks are solid for Chain Attacks. Give her Double Attack and Haste gems.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What does DoT mean?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

What does DoT mean?

Damage over time, like a poison effect or similar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

What does DoT mean?

Sorry to be unclear.

DoT is "Damage Over Time." It's effects that do damage over a period of time instead of one large chunk (usually called burst.) In this case it refers to Ice (chill), Earth (Poison) and Fire (Blaze.)

Due to the way gems interact with DoT effects in Xenoblade they are absurdly powerful, especially if you link them to a chain attack. The way their damage scales means that a chain-attacked Poison is doing absurd amounts of damage per second.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ok, cool, I've been building my characters as recommended in that case. Another question: where do you get Advanced Art Manuals? I found Summon Bolt by accident in the High Entia Tomb but I haven't seen any of the other ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Ok, cool, I've been building my characters as recommended in that case. Another question: where do you get Advanced Art Manuals? I found Summon Bolt by accident in the High Entia Tomb but I haven't seen any of the other ones.

Advanced Art Manuals largely are dropped by late-game enemies. Late-game regular enemies will drop with a fairly low percentage chance while optional boss-type enemies have a much higher chance of dropping. Once you get around the point you get the last character you'll probably start encountering them dropping randomly just via regular fights but you may have to grind if you're looking for a specific one.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Basically this:

Shulk: You can't screw him up. Focus on Back Slash and Monado abilities. He is literally impossible to screw up and designed that way.

Reyn: Tank. Tanky tank tank. Build him tanky. Focus on his aggro-drawing skills. Give him aggro-drawing gems. Enemies should be beating on him instead of another else.

Dunban: Dodge-Tank. Focus on Peerless, Serene Grace, Gale Slash, mix from there. When you get his AoE attack make it a mainstay. Give him agility/aggro gems OR strip his armor and go Naked if you max his leftmost skill tree. The latter is fun in that you don't need armor but you're probably better off with armor + gems.

Melia: Focus on her DoT skills. Earth, Ice and FIre are all great. Earth is the hardest hitting but has the longest cooldown. Bolt is very good but will drag aggro like crazy. Use it sparingly or as part of chain attacks. (Save Earth for x4 or x5 on chain attacks. Your poison damage stacks absurdly.). Give her Ether Up and Arts Aggro Down gems. Do not use Melia unless you plan to control her. Her AI is incapable of using her skills properly.

Riki: Riki can be built a billion ways but generally it's fine to focus on his Ether Arts. Level up Porison, Freeze, Burn, Paralyze, his heal, Hero TIme and balance from there. I like going for the attack that does more damage the more debuffs the enemy has (You'll be Sorry) which is great for chain attacks. Focus on DoT-buffing gems and Ether up.

Sharla: Bench her. Or if you insist on using her, focus on her healing and buffing. The thing to keep in mind is that she exchanges damage for healing. This results in battles taking longer and thus requiring more healing. It's a viscous circle. You can kind of build her damage-y but she'll be less effective than anyone else. Only pull her out if you absolutely can't beat a boss and just want to slowly heal-tank your way through.

The last character: You can kind of build her as a support character but the wiser thing to do is to go all-in on her absurd autoattack DPS. Get her fourth skill tree (A few sidequests in the village right after she joins, one of the easiest to get) and focus primarily on her buffs: Lock-On, Speed Shift, Healing Field. Final Cross once you get it is great for toppling and her verison of Back Slash and her x3 damage to topple attacks are solid for Chain Attacks. Give her Double Attack and Haste gems.

You're a good person.

EDIT: If I'm early on in the game (just started rebuilding colony 6), is it worthwhile to just use Shulk Reyn and Dunbar?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

You're a good person.

EDIT: If I'm early on in the game (just started rebuilding colony 6), is it worthwhile to just use Shulk Reyn and Dunbar?

Shulk/Reyn/Dunban is completely valid but perhaps a bit slow. Dunban and Reyn kind of share an overlapping tank role so you end up with a team that can draw aggro like woah but is largely depending on Shulk for its big ticket damage. It's totally something you can use if you like the characters but I'd swap out either Reyn or Dunban for another character once you get more. (I tend to favor Dunban but both have their strengths.)

One thing I'll mention is that it is completely viable to remove Shulk from your party. You'll have to figure out other ways to deal with Talent Arts (usually by aggroing them onto Reyn/Dunban) but Shulk isn't mandatory even if the Monodo is a very strong tool. You'll get access to weapons that can hurt the Mechon without Enchantment right before the next major Mechon area IIRC. There's nothing wrong with keeping Shulk in the party, he's very strong, just don't feel like you have to have him if you'd rather switch things up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 22, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

You're a good person.

Shulk, Reyn and Dunban is a good party I used until I got the party member after Dunban because of how fast they can end battles. The two tanks in the party mean that Shulk doesn't really have to worry too much about aggro for the most part and can just sneak around and get critical hits on enemies.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

When I was playing Xenoblade, I got some build ideas from the GameFAQs forum for the game just by searching [character name] and build. What ImpAtom laid out already is all good advice, but you also have more freedom of choice if you intend to control the character. For instance, in the late game, Sharla goes from being kinda boring to control to non-stop firing off Thunder Bullet with the right combination of arts and skills. Reyn is another character where your options open up quite a bit more if you decide to use him.

One other thing: the AI is terrible at using certain arts (this is the main reason Melia is the worst AI choice), so it can help to pay attention when using them or looking up builds for those situations of bad synergy between AI and arts.

Edit: If you're going to use both Reyn and Dunban, you might consider controlling one of them and making the AI be the aggro tank with the other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Edit: If you're going to use both Reyn and Dunban, you might consider controlling one of them and making the AI be the aggro tank with the other.

If you do this I honestly recommend doing Dunban. Reyn's AI is probably one of the most directly effective at doing what the character needs to do while with Dunban you instead get more manual control over how he chains his Gale Strike attacks and what buffs he uses.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

If you do this I honestly recommend doing Dunban. Reyn's AI is probably one of the most directly effective at doing what the character needs to do while with Dunban you instead get more manual control over how he chains his Gale Strike attacks and what buffs he uses.

I agree with this, but I also would recommend using all the characters as your controlled character at least a couple times. It's the best way of finding out just how effective new arts they learn can be and can help you see synergies you might not have realized before. For instance, Dunban gets a move that hits enemies behind him, and I had the hardest time figuring out how to make use of it until I messed around with him and remembered that one of his moves makes him do like a spin kick thing and end up facing backwards for a bit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Playing around with other characters is cool, fun and helps you realize that Shulk is kinda boring to play as compared to, say, Dunban or Melia.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I had no idea you could A) remove shulk or B) control someone besides from shulk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

I had no idea you could A) remove shulk or B) control someone besides from shulk.

Yep. Whoever is in your first slot can be controlled. There is no point (aside from a few mandatory plot segments where no fighting occurs IIRC) where Shulk is mandatory after you get 4 party members. It's really worth trying other characters because Shulk honestly has one of the most boring kits.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. Whoever is in your first slot can be controlled. There is no point (aside from a few mandatory plot segments where no fighting occurs IIRC) where Shulk is mandatory after you get 4 party members. It's really worth trying other characters because Shulk honestly has one of the most boring kits.

This is so important because one of the reasons the game doesn't get tiresome over it's very long play time is because there's a ton of variety in the way the different characters play.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Something I never quite understood but on the skill tree in xenoblade are all skills activated no matter what or only the branch you highlight? I went ahead and maxed all of them for shits and giggles but had no clue if it was actually doing anything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

All skills are activated at once when they're learned. The branch you have equipped gives you a different effect and skill links give other characters access to skills they wouldn't get otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Something I never quite understood but on the skill tree in xenoblade are all skills activated no matter what or only the branch you highlight? I went ahead and maxed all of them for shits and giggles but had no clue if it was actually doing anything.

Each branch has an equipped skill (what you have when it is equipped) and then sub-skills. All sub skills are active no matter what.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

What's this I hear about megaheat for gems?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When you're crafting gems, if you get 100% of an attribute, you get a gem, and the higher the percentage the stronger the Gem. At 200% you get 'Heat' and your gem goes up a rank. At 300% you get Mega-Heat, so now you get two gems at the highest quality possible, still at the higher rank. It's not worth aiming for until late in the game, but there are a few ways to pull it off and you can get some crazy poo poo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Reyn can actually be pretty effective, and I'd say he's better later in the game, if you shift focus from him absorbing as much damage possible, to do as much damage as possible. He's capable of some crazy burst damage with the right setup, and since cooldowns are reset when battles end, his long downtime gets better, and really he'll always be able to take a hit. And really Dunban is the better tank of the two.

I don't think I've ever done, or for that matter seen, a setup that has Melia focus entirely on damage over time. I've only ever seen the Bolt setup with crazy Ether Up and Lightning+ stacking. I suppose it would work well on bosses, especially together with Riki filling the Chain Gauge, but most normal battles are over so quickly it seems better to focus on burst for those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Reyn can actually be pretty effective, and I'd say he's better later in the game, if you shift focus from him absorbing as much damage possible, to do as much damage as possible. He's capable of some crazy burst damage with the right setup, and since cooldowns are reset when battles end, his long downtime gets better, and really he'll always be able to take a hit. And really Dunban is the better tank of the two.

I don't think I've ever done, or for that matter seen, a setup that has Melia focus entirely on damage over time. I've only ever seen the Bolt setup with crazy Ether Up and Lightning+ stacking. I suppose it would work well on bosses, especially together with Riki filling the Chain Gauge, but most normal battles are over so quickly it seems better to focus on burst for those.

Melia DoT damage is absurd and it has the advantage of drawing less aggro which is basically essential for her not to die instantly in later fight. You really have to take advantage of chain attacks for maximum effectiveness but considering that Melia has almost nothing but Talent Arts for her attacks that means it is trivial to set up absurd chain combos with her. I mean at minimum she gets three Whites in a single chain, it's crazy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YggiDee posted:

When you're crafting gems, if you get 100% of an attribute, you get a gem, and the higher the percentage the stronger the Gem. At 200% you get 'Heat' and your gem goes up a rank. At 300% you get Mega-Heat, so now you get two gems at the highest quality possible, still at the higher rank. It's not worth aiming for until late in the game, but there are a few ways to pull it off and you can get some crazy poo poo.

It's worth keeping Shulk and Reyn together in the party until they're at max affinity before you start swapping people around, as they're a pretty decent gemcrafting pair. Cylinders are what you use to help get/boost those high percentages, if you aren't already aware.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well at minimum she gets one, actually. :v:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Thanks for this. I'm starting Xenoblade today after finishing the Mario side of PaD. I only am controlling shulk right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll appreciate this when I get further.

How long till I get Riki? He seems cool and I love his theme song.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

All this Xenoblade chat is making me wish I could beat the fat robot at the bottom of some mine. Xord? I don't know - I gave up a month or so ago. I'm appropriately leveled, but even still I can barely get the team gauge filled up to pull off the special attack.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Seven has a skill that raises their tension by one stage every time their Talent Art activates, and it is absurd if you link it to Melia.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

the truth posted:

All this Xenoblade chat is making me wish I could beat the fat robot at the bottom of some mine. Xord? I don't know - I gave up a month or so ago. I'm appropriately leveled, but even still I can barely get the team gauge filled up to pull off the special attack.

The big thing you can do is attacks that have special effects, like Back Slash or Slit Edge, aimed at the correct spots. That should fill up the gauge fairly well. You can also fight the little Mechon all around him.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

the truth posted:

Important thing to know about that fight is you only need to take away like a quarter of his life bar before the fight auto ends.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

the truth posted:

I gave up right around the end when you fight the robot who keeps summoning the two shield robots and firing off that huge cannon. I get him to second form fast but then he wears me down. I'd say the name but it's a big spoiler. I know I'm right at the end but I would need to grind more to get past him and nah

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Is it the Visions that kill you? Because he is probably the toughest story boss in the game, but I got him down once I remembered, oh right, I can Daze him to remove his attack.

There's also a hella good new art for Shulk you can get from a sidequest down in the village that helps a lot.

e: If you're on a somewhat even level to a boss (-3 to +3) but still die, then if you have a problem it has something to do with how you approach the fight, not your stats.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Terper posted:

Is it the Visions that kill you? Because he is probably the toughest story boss in the game, but I got him down once I remembered, oh right, I can Daze him to remove his attack.

There's also a hella good new art for Shulk you can get from a sidequest down in the village that helps a lot.

e: If you're on a somewhat even level to a boss (-3 to +3) but still die, then if you have a problem it has something to do with how you approach the fight, not your stats.

I'm under leveled. Had been for a while at that point. I also missed one of the manado skills that's supposed to help on that fight. I can daze him to cancel the cannon most times but eventually someone will gently caress up and die and I'll fall behind on chain gauge as I attempt to recover. At this point it's been a couple months since I last played and I'd rather just watch a video of the rest of the game.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's worth keeping Shulk and Reyn together in the party until they're at max affinity before you start swapping people around, as they're a pretty decent gemcrafting pair. Cylinders are what you use to help get/boost those high percentages, if you aren't already aware.

What is max affinity? They look like they're in love or something.

Also holy poo poo thanks for the tip to play as Dunban. Dude is way more fun to control than Shulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

Melia DoT damage is absurd and it has the advantage of drawing less aggro which is basically essential for her not to die instantly in later fight. You really have to take advantage of chain attacks for maximum effectiveness but considering that Melia has almost nothing but Talent Arts for her attacks that means it is trivial to set up absurd chain combos with her. I mean at minimum she gets three Whites in a single chain, it's crazy.

You can do a lot for Melia's survivability later on by linking her the ability to equip heavy armor later on in the game. She actually gets pretty absurd stats in both defense when you do that, although her HP is always gonna be pretty poo poo.

Edit: There's nothing more amusing to me than piling super heavy armor on the small girl and then making her dropkick dinosaurs. I did that a ton when I decided I wanted everyone to max out all their arts and skill trees.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 22, 2015