Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Baron posted:

I'm really new to this game, and having a great time! Just killed my first boss, King Slime, and now I have a sweet slime pet to ride on! Yay!
Not to be pedantic but that's actually a mount, you can also get pets to go with it! No slime pets on PC though.

quote:

The recent posts about corruption and crimson spread have me worried though, and I have a question. Since I'm pretty early on, should I be concerned with taking action against it spreading? It seems the only way is to dig a big chasm all the way down, which seems like a pretty daunting task at my current level of progress.

Nah unless you go really slow through the games progression, the spread of biomes isn't usually a problem unless you've got your home base really close to corruption or crimson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Baron posted:

I'm really new to this game, and having a great time! Just killed my first boss, King Slime, and now I have a sweet slime pet to ride on! Yay!

The recent posts about corruption and crimson spread have me worried though, and I have a question. Since I'm pretty early on, should I be concerned with taking action against it spreading? It seems the only way is to dig a big chasm all the way down, which seems like a pretty daunting task at my current level of progress.

It won't spread until you've killed the wall of flesh, and even then it's basically a nonissue unless A) your base is underground, B) you play extremely slowly and leave the game on while also not making any progress for literal IRL weeks, or C) you're a humongous sperg who doesn't want the world to change at all if it's not you doing the changing.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Word. I wasn't really sure if it spread before hardmode.

Another question: Would it be worthwhile to build a minecart track that goes a ways either direction? It would take a while, but being able to travel to far biomes quickly seems like it might be worth it.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Baron posted:

Another question: Would it be worthwhile to build a minecart track that goes a ways either direction? It would take a while, but being able to travel to far biomes quickly seems like it might be worth it.

It makes travel a lot faster, especially if you put it kinda high in the air so you don't have to worry about any mobs in the way.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Baron posted:

Word. I wasn't really sure if it spread before hardmode.

Yes. And it isn't actually that hard to do. Put a few pieces down and get on the tracks, then just start moving and laying down tracks as you go. Basically just have to hold down the mouse button.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flame112 posted:

It makes travel a lot faster, especially if you put it kinda high in the air so you don't have to worry about any mobs in the way.

Makes sense I suppose. Although I kinda wanted to connect it with some track that was in place already underground, although I guess that might be dangerous...

Senor Candle posted:

Yes. And it isn't actually that hard to do. Put a few pieces down and get on the tracks, then just start moving and laying down tracks as you go. Basically just have to hold down the mouse button.

.... Didn't even think of that! If anything else, making a straight line for a while should be pretty easy that way!

Thanks.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah my transcontinental railroad track saw constant use until I could set up teleporter networks. And even then it's been semi useful cheesing the lunar pillars with constant drive bys.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Also press control once to turn on smart place, which will make it so it tries to follow terrain and also only places it touching existing track.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

now make the lamp post guy

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

Also press control once to turn on smart place, which will make it so it tries to follow terrain and also only places it touching existing track.

Luckily by reading this thread I discovered the wonder of smart mode already. I can't imagine how infuriating some of this poo poo would be without knowing that. Also the Shift key. They really need some big popup the first time you play informing new people how invaluable these are. I probably would never had noticed. I know the shift key bit is in the OP, but I didn't see smart mode there.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I actually went out of my way to seed various parts of my world with corruption because I wanted a dumb super corrupt gimmick world, and I still barely had any noticable growth beyond what was already there. Unless you're running on a persistent world server or otherwise leave your game going for really long periods of time, you pretty much never have to actually worry about that poo poo.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Judgement posted:

I actually went out of my way to seed various parts of my world with corruption because I wanted a dumb super corrupt gimmick world, and I still barely had any noticable growth beyond what was already there. Unless you're running on a persistent world server or otherwise leave your game going for really long periods of time, you pretty much never have to actually worry about that poo poo.

I really don't get it either. It's one thing to worry about the jungle, but apparently people are worried about the rest of the world too. Which I don't get - I usually deliberately spread a bunch of hallow as soon as hardmode starts so that there's more places to get crystal shards and pixie dust.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well I guess I was worried for nothing! Started reading guides and watching youtubes on how to stop it from ruining my poo poo!

Also I was re-reading the OP and realized that you can give material to the guide and he shows you what you can make from it :aaaaa:

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Judgement posted:

The default server hibernates if there aren't any players on it. I'm not sure if tshock has an override for this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Senor Candle posted:

If not for enemies that phase or dig through walls, I'd be tempted (on a small world) to try something crazy like a walled up shallow depth cross map subway tunnel, with trap doors at various points.

After all, a subway tunnel would just be a giant rectangle, and I know I can do rectangle :downs:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Section Z posted:

If not for enemies that phase or dig through walls, I'd be tempted (on a small world) to try something crazy like a walled up shallow depth cross map subway tunnel, with trap doors at various points.

After all, a subway tunnel would just be a giant rectangle, and I know I can do rectangle :downs:

Counterpoint: Ramps.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

watho posted:

Counterpoint: Ramps.

Take a rectangle, add ramps, and you get a...

Well, you get a parallelogram instead of a rectangle.

But it's still better than a rectangle!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

I've done this and it works fine. There are very few burrowing enemies and basically none of them are dangerous, just irritating.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

So I'm kinda done with Terraria I beat everything I wanted to this is my first builder style game I enjoyed the freeness of building things mixed with actual bosses and goals does Minecraft have something similar or is there a different game in this genre that would work better everyone seems to hate Starbound no idea why.

Minecraft is a far more enjoyable building simulator, but the combat is extremely shallow relative to Terraria. Like, you poke some skeletons with swords sometimes, and not much more. If you want to build buildings, try Minecraft.

If you need a more robust combat system, Steam has several hundred thousand Minecraft derivatives that seem to alternate between dinosaur and alien gimmicks. I'm sure at least one of them is decent.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I, for one, encourage people to play this game whichever way they want without condemning their specific desires as autistic

loving crazy, right?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Excelzior posted:

I, for one, encourage people to play this game whichever way they want without condemning their specific desires as autistic

loving crazy, right?

How dare you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I've done this and it works fine. There are very few burrowing enemies and basically none of them are dangerous, just irritating.

Cool. My easily distrated self hasn't played this in like a week since I finally got around to mulching the eye and eater (still only 180 health though :downs:) but that's encouraging to hear.

Excelzior posted:

loving crazy, right?

I may stubbornly be deliberately avoiding fishing since I've never so much as seen hard mode personally before and want a semblance of "average" progression, but I'm glad workarounds are available for those who want them. So hearing those cut or dialed back, along with drops from the end boss are nerfed because they make fighting the end boss you got them from in the first place less balbusting is just :cripes:

Honestly, if I hit hard mode I expect a stubborn "Nope, not raiding a crimson world for Vamp knives" to be a bigger detriment than avoiding fishing the way those get talked about.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Section Z posted:

Cool. My easily distrated self hasn't played this in like a week since I finally got around to mulching the eye and eater (still only 180 health though :downs:) but that's encouraging to hear.

I may stubbornly be deliberately avoiding fishing since I've never so much as seen hard mode personally before and want a semblance of "average" progression, but I'm glad workarounds are available for those who want them. So hearing those cut or dialed back, along with drops from the end boss are nerfed because they make fighting the end boss you got them from in the first place less balbusting is just :cripes:

Honestly, if I hit hard mode I expect a stubborn "Nope, not raiding a crimson world for Vamp knives" to be a bigger detriment than avoiding fishing the way those get talked about.

Eh. Probably about even. Fishing is mostly a shortcut, but that's a "I just started, Oh, I can do stuff in hell immediately! Oh, I just started Hardmode, suddenly all of the hardmode ore I want!" level shortcut. Vampire Knives are a way of life, but they have kinda been hit with the nerf bat a few times.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Star cells.
Yes, I'm in no danger of dying if I keep moving and I can get away from the incessant regrowing by teleporting, but JESUS gently caress. I went after the star pillar first, and I now have NINETEEN star cell banners. You literally couldn't see the ground for all the mana stars and hearts blanketing everything.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Stardust pillar I beat by going to town with chlorophyte bullets and a tactical shotgun, Vortex pillar by camping behind walls with minions and traps, solar with a buffed mage loadout with specter healing and a dragon helping out, nebula by staying in the air and using top tier melee items. I had wanted to beat each pillar with a different class so I'm glad it worked.

Not only is vortex the easiest to cheese, but if you beat it first you can get the phantasm. Load up with holy arrows and now every other pillar goes down in seconds.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I wanna start a new char and world but wanna sneak my DCU over. I am horrible.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
You can sneak in the DCU, but you have to use the worst armor sets before hardmode

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Blind Duke posted:

You can sneak in the DCU, but you have to use the worst armor sets before hardmode

Or no armor at all. That's a brutal challenge.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Solar Pillar:
Hay gang, know all those neat movement items you've been picking up starting with ropes all the way up to that fancy new flying saucer? gently caress YOU DON'T USE THEM. Also since you're pinned to the ground, have a bunch of enemies that ignore terrain!

Next patch notes: Corites now split and regenerate like Star Cells

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Next Patch: When you die to the moon lord the game automatically formats your hard drive

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gobblecoque posted:

Next Patch: When you die to the moon lord the game automatically formats your hard drive

Summoning the Moon Lord just exits out the game to prevent any exploitation of the game.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
OK I have a really stupid question; Can you use an item while it's in your inventory, without putting it in your 0-9 items? It seems like you should be able too, but I can't figure out what button to press...

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Baron posted:

OK I have a really stupid question; Can you use an item while it's in your inventory, without putting it in your 0-9 items? It seems like you should be able too, but I can't figure out what button to press...

You can pick up the item while your inventory is open, then move the item outside of the inventory space and left-click.

socialsecurity posted:

So I'm kinda done with Terraria I beat everything I wanted to this is my first builder style game I enjoyed the freeness of building things mixed with actual bosses and goals does Minecraft have something similar or is there a different game in this genre that would work better everyone seems to hate Starbound no idea why.

Minecraft doesn't have the sense of progression by default, despite the addition of things like hunger and bosses it's still doesn't quite nail it, but I'm sure there's probably mods you can get to make that better.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 22, 2015

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geektox posted:

You can pick up the item while your inventory is open, then move the item outside of the inventory space and left-click.

Oh my god. Thank you!!! For some reason I assumed that would just drop the item...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, I always use building materials like that and it's also a good way to use your magic mirror without having it in your hotbar, avoiding accidental uses.

Another useful thing to remember is that you an take smaller portions of stacked stuff by leaving RMB pressed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Baron posted:

Oh my god. Thank you!!! For some reason I assumed that would just drop the item...

It's an understandable question. It's RIGHT clicking that will make you throw it like an idiot :downs: (Why yes I have thrown many stacks or doors while opening doors, why do you ask?)

Also, it only works if you do not have auto pause turned on. If autopause is in use, then you can't use anything but your hotbar stuff. Or at least it won't let me do things that way when autopause is on.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, I always use building materials like that and it's also a good way to use your magic mirror without having it in your hotbar, avoiding accidental uses.

Another useful thing to remember is that you an take smaller portions of stacked stuff by leaving RMB pressed.

I have used building materials like that. Not sure why I didn't assume that it would use any item...

I did find out about using RMB to separate stacks, and to craft a bunch of poo poo at once. I think I saw that on the wiki. Also I learned you can Alt-Click items to favorite them!

Since you can craft poo poo with a storage open near the station, is there a recommended way to lay out all your crafting supplies and tools? My storage is disorganized as gently caress, and I'd like to get a decent system going.

Section Z posted:

It's an understandable question. It's RIGHT clicking that will make you throw it like an idiot :downs: (Why yes I have thrown many stacks or doors while opening doors, why do you ask?)

This is why I remapped throw to P. Very far away from T, which is right next to R for mounts. Throwing my main weapon while trying to run away is not so good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Apparently the Jungle decided to eat my Corruption that spawned from the Wall of Flesh. I didn't know that was a thing that could happen. The area in the red circle is the only bit of Corruption that survived. At least the Hallow spawned normally.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
re: corruption spreading:
It's pretty slow but it isn't completely ineffectual. There's a lake in the caves right under my house and I have to re-clentaminate it every time I get a "caverns" fishing quest. Just barely enough grows back to make it count as a corruption biome again.

Baron posted:

Only if you have autopause turned off so that you can open the inventory without pausing the game.

Acne Rain posted:

Not only is vortex the easiest to cheese, but if you beat it first you can get the phantasm. Load up with holy arrows and now every other pillar goes down in seconds.

Yeah but killing the tower is easy (or at least it was for my yoyo man). The hard part of the pillars is living long enough to rack up 200 kills and bring down the shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah but killing the tower is easy (or at least it was for my yoyo man). The hard part of the pillars is living long enough to rack up 200 kills and bring down the shields.

It's cheesy and slow, but when I'm having trouble knocking down the shield on a pillar, I go back and forth over the border of where the background changes, so only a manageable number of pillar enemies spawn at once.