Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Thanks Dr. Honked, this looks pretty cool. This is a work in progress we are doing: http://api-statpedia.rhcloud.com/api/doc

:)

Beast of Bourbon posted:

ok, to be honest I was thinking bigger but something like this could be a good starter for me, can you go in to more detail on the growth plans?

In regards to growth plans for user base, we plan to target universities through grass root strategies such as speaking in lectures and passing out flyers on campuses, gain organic traction through SEO efforts (stats showing up in google search results), attracting organizations such as the American Statistics Association and finding out what their needs are within a product (potentially revenue sharing for content released), and have full time content creators to create initial content.

For revenue growth, we would like to bundle the same platform that would offer an intranet enterprise solution with the ability for administrators to release privately held data once it is no longer necessary to keep secret. We would also like to offer a GitHub style model allowing things to be publicly shared for free but privately held data will require a subscription depending on the size of content.

A major part of all this is the analytics aspect of what we can do with this data once collected. Not if, but once we accumulate a good amount of data the strategy is that it will create a really cool place where people can can mesh all types of data to draw really unique perspectives on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Have you considered building something people want to use instead?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I'm not kickstarting some project to preserve a suit that only got as far as a movie lot in California

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Have you considered building something people want to use instead?

:ironicat:

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
I want a moon rock.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
this is lorem ipsum filler for the last few pages of a prospectus when i'm not convinced you can condense it to a solid pitch deck

it'd be a slow pace for a hardware startup back in the pre-arduino days, but for a modern pure sw one where you're putting a layer onto a db and pretending there's any value in the db contents instead of the presentation layer and UX where you should spend massive cycles iterating?

isn't it kinda odd that all of your growth ideas depend on others magically deciding to give you data for no raisin? instead of providing a compelling enough platform that a graduate student with the data flies by the "can we use it" checkbox on their way to a better visualization?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ian McLean posted:

In regards to growth plans for user base, we plan to target universities

hi ian

universities have policies that research data must stay on university owned equipment and that language is worded into every grant

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Ian McLean posted:

I want a moon rock.

i want you to get a moon rock :)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

graph posted:

hi ian

universities have policies that research data must stay on university owned equipment and that language is worded into every grant

statppliance

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

graph posted:

hi ian

For the average person attending at the undergrad level, there isn't anything saying they can't upload. So this research data just magically reveals itself in materials for purchase such as Springer books?!? "Must stay on university owned equipment" doesn't say it can't also be on other equipment... statppliance what now!

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Ian McLean posted:

For the average person attending at the undergrad level, there isn't anything saying they can't upload. So this research data just magically reveals itself in materials for purchase such as Springer books?!? "Must stay on university owned equipment" doesn't say it can't also be on other equipment... statppliance what now!

actually as someone who works in this field. . . if it's ugrads working on something that actually matters, with a research adviser.

yeah, it sort of does require it stay on university equipment.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

this is lorem ipsum filler for the last few pages of a prospectus when i'm not convinced you can condense it to a solid pitch deck

it'd be a slow pace for a hardware startup back in the pre-arduino days, but for a modern pure sw one where you're putting a layer onto a db and pretending there's any value in the db contents instead of the presentation layer and UX where you should spend massive cycles iterating?

isn't it kinda odd that all of your growth ideas depend on others magically deciding to give you data for no raisin? instead of providing a compelling enough platform that a graduate student with the data flies by the "can we use it" checkbox on their way to a better visualization?

A big part of UX is having other cronies to bounce things off of for better iterations. People are busy with full time jobs, and would be willing to join, but want to get paid. Jawn, if I send you UX do you want to be my iteration adviser? I'll make iterations for you all day long.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

how did you manage to make that sound like a creepy sexual proposition?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
funy kickstrater

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

how did you manage to make that sound like a creepy sexual proposition?

lol. No! You are just a gutter mind! Looking back on it now, sorda is funny.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian McLean posted:

A big part of UX is having other cronies to bounce things off of for better iterations. People are busy with full time jobs, and would be willing to join, but want to get paid. Jawn, if I send you UX do you want to be my iteration adviser? I'll make iterations for you all day long.

don't ask people online to do real work for free just because.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

enotnert posted:

actually as someone who works in this field. . . if it's ugrads working on something that actually matters, with a research adviser.

yeah, it sort of does require it stay on university equipment.

"sort of" sounds like a grey area. Researchers license to publishers all the time.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

duTrieux. posted:

don't ask people online to do real work for free just because.

What are you talking about? What do you think every crowd sourced project is? If Money = Real Work, what is the point of Kickstarter? And this forum? People criticizing my project is real work in itself.

Take your meds.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ian McLean posted:

For the average person attending at the undergrad level, there isn't anything saying they can't upload.

if they're doing research under an advisor/faculty there sure as gently caress is

Ian McLean posted:

"sort of" sounds like a grey area.

it's not

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
ian can you send me a prospectus?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian McLean posted:

What are you talking about? What do you think every crowd sourced project is? If Money = Real Work, what is the point of Kickstarter? And this forum? People criticizing my project is real work in itself.

Take your meds.

what is work, really? we can never know.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

duTrieux. posted:

what is work, really? we can never know.

that_bird_video.mp4

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
e: im sorry that was mean

graph fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 21, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I wasn't imagining it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

just gonna post this again

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Yes. You can send me your contact info or email me. ian@statpedia.com

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Create Table

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Sweevo posted:

just gonna post this again

Okay, business page iteration: http://hj28ya.axshare.com/businesspage.html

Statpedia points inspired by the lemonade stand!

Everyone can be part of the iteration adviser team! :)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wow how did you make such a hideous block diagram

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Bloody posted:

wow how did you make such a hideous block diagram

Needs more iterations! :)

You are welcome to send me an iteration to help.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

here is an iteration: https://i.imgur.com/zlEmiED.png

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

thanks for the nws

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

You Am I posted:

thanks for the nws

does goatse even count anymore, i mean, seriously