Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Crackbone posted:

Waiting for the Math Trade to close tonight at 11pm. After that I'll probably have an updated list of stuff.

Thanks. Keep me posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nesbit37 posted:

The more the better, and by the way, 8one6, I have to say I was a little embarrassed to share that with my Gen Con group this year. I am bringing 3 Gen Con newbies this year, my girlfriend and another couple, and boy oh boy does that podcast make it seem like everyone there reaks like an open sewer.

It's a running joke from our first Gen con tips episode in 2011. I make no apologies in the war against unwashed nerds.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

rjderouin posted:

Reminding people because this thread has a lot more traffic since last time I posted. If you come to the Japanime Games booth I will give you cool stuff as long as you identify as a goon. My name is Robert and I will be wearing an actual Japanime collared/bowling style shirt rather than a black Japanime T-Shirt. Just let me know you are a goon. These are the games we carry (https://www.japanimegames.com), if any of them are even passingly interesting to you come on by.

I will for sure be stopping by to take a long, hard :flaccid: look at your wares. Also, you don't have PMs which sucks, so would you be up for talking about a sponsorship for some events at GenCon? What's the best contact for that?

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Sales@japanimegames.com is the best way to reach me for stuff like that.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ok, final list of stuff I'm open to selling/trading:

Cyclades + Hades Expansion
Lewis and Clark
Nations
Power Grid Deluxe
City of Horror
Steam Noir
Ladies and Gentlemen
Sherriff of Nottingham
Baseball Highlights 2045 Deluxe
Custom printed copy of San Juan

hit me up if you're interested in any and will be at Gencon.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

Lewis and Clark
Nations
Power Grid Deluxe
City of Horror
Steam Noir
Ladies and Gentlemen
Sherriff of Nottingham

PMed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Lewis and Clark
Nations
Power Grid Deluxe
City of Horror
Steam Noir
Ladies and Gentlemen
Sherriff of Nottingham

PMed as well

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Crackbone posted:

Lewis and Clark
Nations
Power Grid Deluxe
City of Horror
Steam Noir
Ladies and Gentlemen
Sherriff of Nottingham

Also PMed.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

8one6 posted:

It's a running joke from our first Gen con tips episode in 2011. I make no apologies in the war against unwashed nerds.

Isn't it called the 3-2-1 rule? Sleep for at least 3 hours, eat at least 2 full meals in a day, and shower at least once a day?

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

rjderouin posted:

Sales@japanimegames.com is the best way to reach me for stuff like that.

Thanks man! I emailed you a novel it feels like. Sorry.

I'll buy you a beer either way, exhibitor bro! :tinsley:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

LuiCypher posted:

Isn't it called the 36-2-1 rule? Sleep for at least 3 hours, eat at least 2 full meals in a day, and shower at least once a day?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I might be stupid but is there any way to see the events you've already registered for - specifically their locations?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Peas and Rice posted:

I might be stupid but is there any way to see the events you've already registered for - specifically their locations?

https://www.gencon.com/my_packets - click through for the event listing, which will have the location.

Seldon
Dec 21, 2008
This will be my second year pretend-attending. Prettending? I'm running 31 hours of PFS so it doesn't really count as actually going to the convention, I guess.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Deathlove posted:

https://www.gencon.com/my_packets - click through for the event listing, which will have the location.

Packets, makes perfect sense. Thx!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

fordan posted:

Is there a point to purchasing games at GenCon vs at home, other than GenCon launches? Awesome deals, great promos, etc?

There's often an opportunity to get stuff signed, if that matters to you.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Deathlove posted:

Also if you just click on your name (might need to click twice, once opens the drop down) on the GenCon homepage you will get your events in chronological order.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Your actual event tickets include the location as well. Though if you're not familiar with which building is which and where the rooms are, it might be helpful to print out a map. I think there's one in the program book but last year the books were disappearing faster than they could restock them. There's also map kiosks and helpful staff around most of the time.

As for buying stuff there, Pelgrane Press has done 4 for 3 deals in the past. I don't know if they'll be doing it this year. Otherwise, yeah, most things are MSRP. The dealer room is more a chance to grab the new hotness or grab a copy of a game that you just enjoyed than the most cost-effective way to get things - unless, as mentioned, you'd like to get something signed.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Yeah, I was just being a total OCD freak and filling out my Google Calendar with locations.

Kinda related: are there open painting areas where you can just go and learn how to paint minis? All the events for that are full and I'd love some expert help.

Edit: I think I'm looking for Paint + Take!

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 22, 2015

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Trynant posted:

I posted this more or less on the google doc, but if any of the board gaming goons want to play any of the longer games, I have a few in mind that I could bring. My packing space is limited so knowing if people want to try something before the Monday/Tuesday of would save me some grief. My collection is here.

Stuff I have in mind is some Splotter games (Roads & Boats, Antiquity, Indonesia), High Frontier, DIe Macher, or whatever people want to try.

Count me in. I plan on meeting up with you for a game or two, nice collection! Indonesia is the main Splotter I have yet to play so I'd love to try that one. I'm happy to join in for R&B or Antiquity as well. Napoleons Triumph is another I've never had the opportunity to try, if you have any interest.

Although your rating of Romolo y Remo at an 8 has me a bit worried. After 2 games I'm done with that one and will likely never play it again.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

On that note, I'd really like to get in a game of Archipelago and Argent this gencon.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Crackbone posted:

On that note, I'd really like to get in a game of Archipelago and Argent this gencon.

I'd be up for that, especially Argent.

Btw, what is the point of GroupMe? Seems like Hangouts would work just as well. Unless you can use it to join whole groups without adding all of the contacts. Just don't want to get another battery draining app if I can avoid it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

QnoisX posted:

I'd be up for that, especially Argent.

Btw, what is the point of GroupMe? Seems like Hangouts would work just as well. Unless you can use it to join whole groups without adding all of the contacts. Just don't want to get another battery draining app if I can avoid it.

It's not battery draining if you turn off notifications. Just check it every now and then or when you have downtime.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I can bring up Argent, I've gotten to play it a fair bit now. It's pretty swell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd definitely play Archipelago and probably Argent too if there was time. I'd have to learn the latter though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

OtspIII posted:

Due to some money issues I'm running a bit late on all of this, but I just bought all my plane/hotel/con tickets and am officially coming! I can't wait to bankrupt myself at the auction! Also, to see all the goonfriends I made at the con last time I came (2 years ago).
YES

ALL MONEY AT AUCTION SPEND

ALL

GOOD

Indolent Bastard posted:

How does the Gencon store and auction each work? (Never been to Gencon before).
I answered this in our awesome GROUPME CHAT
But in case anyone else was curious, the Exhibition Hall is basically the single most obnoxiously awesome thing at the convention, as it gets bigger on a regular basis and already is like the size of A MILLION FOOTBALL FIELDS. O.K. I really do remember someone saying it was now officially bigger than 2 football fields but that could have been mild hyperbole.

The Auction was already sort of explained and Alien Rope Burn linked the Auction page. Usually the weekend before is the last weekend to pre-register your items, saving both money and time, so that is a good idea. You have to sell stuff for at least $2? I believe these days to make any money, which is a little sad given how often things used to go on sale for $1 (though that still happens, extra-funny when someone actually buys it for $1--that means the seller brought an item to Gen-Con in order to give the Auction 75 cents to take it off their hands).

If anyone wants a better write-up of the Auction...actually I probably already gave one somewhere else in the thread.

Bottom Liner posted:

Haha, no way this would ever enter my home if I want to stay married

rjderouin posted:

The best part about this one is the girl who modeled for it will be there she is a good friend of mine who is an actual beer maid I will introduce you!

...???

Gen-Con was already the only time of the year when I allowed myself to actually spend money on gaming stuff, it might as well continue to be the only time of the year I openly acknowledge an attraction to "women"

nesbit37 posted:

Quarex, when do convention programs (not just Gen Con but other conventions as well) usually come up in the auction. TOVA I imagine unless its really old Gen Con stuff? Any chance you could keep an eye out for pre-1992 Gen Con materials? Have a lot of gaps I need to fill there.
Ayep, those end up in T.O.V.A. indeed other than of course that you never know what might end up in the Charity Auction and sometimes for nostalgia reasons Frank Mentzer might put something in one of the special Thursday/Friday night "Collectible" sections. Though the most recent old convention thing I remember selling for anything was when the KEEPER bid $100 right out of the gate for a Gen-Con IX poster. Usually stuff like programs, even for "important" conventions, would go for less than $20.

Peas and Rice posted:

Similar question: I'm looking for some very specific older, OOP modules. Is there a list of what's in the auction and when it goes on sale, or is it more of a "come and see what you get" scenario?
As M'Nesbit mentioned, yeah, you are just out of luck in general. I am going to post a generic category listing from a previous Gen-Con to give you an idea of what it might look like (and write THIS IS NOT THE 2015 SCHEDULE on it just because otherwise we all know what will happen)

wait hold on

There we go. And well, I will be damned. They really DID used to do stuff on Sunday. Our memories we assumed were created by an inability to pay attention were driven by truth!!!

The schedule is largely the same in the mornings and evenings, at least Thursday-Saturday, other than that Charity is now always the last thing Saturday. And T.O.V.A. has not been earlier than dinnertime for years.

LuiCypher posted:

Isn't it called the 3-2-1 rule? Sleep for at least 3 hours, eat at least 2 full meals in a day, and shower at least once a day?
Yeah I feel like whoever invented the 3-2-1 rule was either at a 2-day convention or is, like, an unmedicated ADHD 15-year-old, or something. I started going to Gen-Con in my teens when I was as wired as wired can be, and after 2 days of ~4 hours of sleep I was SO READY TO SURRENDER AT LIFE and had to go to bed early on Friday night just to even be able to stay useful. Now, "early" was still "~6 hours of sleep," but yeah, you are going to be fine with 6. I often only sleep 5 on work nights and while that sucks it is also sustainable...but 3? WHO SLEEPS 3 HOURS AND EXPECTS TO HAVE FUN AGHGH

A healthy Gen-Con experience would probably be more like the 8-3-2 rule, teehee ;)

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
What's the best way to sell games at the Con? I'll be there on Saturday and I'm hoping to get rid of Small World (+Cursed, Be Not Afraid, and Grand Dames expacs), Ticket to Ride and Tichu for some cash to spend on new releases. If anyone wants dibs shoot me a PM.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You can register with the auction online until the 26th. Fees are steeper if you register on-site. Otherwise, if you can arrange for a goon to buy your stuff, that's another possibility. If you're not making it Sunday, I believe you can have the check from the auction mailed to you.

Edit: Come to think, an issue with the auction is that if you're only on Saturday, I don't know if you could put it on the block. It could go in the store, but bear in mind Saturday is the "cheap day" and you'd have buyers not expecting to pay a lot. YMMV.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 23, 2015

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Speaking of games to trade. I'd be willing to trade X Com or King of Tokyo + Powerup expansion. Turns out I really don't like press your luck dice games. I've only played X Com once. Should probably give it another chance, but I'd be willing to just trade it off if anyone wanted it.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I'm also willing to sell Dungeon Lords for pennies! Thousands of pennies. Please don't pay in pennies...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rusty Kettle posted:

I'm also willing to sell Dungeon Lords for pennies! Thousands of pennies. Please don't pay in pennies...

How many thousands?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

We should have a goon sell/trade list going, but I am an idea man, not a doer for something like this. Jumping aboard, I have a new, unplayed version of Doomtown: Reloaded Premium Edition I will sell/trade. PM if interested.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Len posted:

How many thousands?

I'm thinking three thousand pennies. PM me.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

QnoisX posted:

Speaking of games to trade. I'd be willing to trade X Com or King of Tokyo + Powerup expansion. Turns out I really don't like press your luck dice games. I've only played X Com once. Should probably give it another chance, but I'd be willing to just trade it off if anyone wanted it.

I've been wanting to try X-Com. Anything in particular you might want to trade? I have $$$ too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You can register with the auction online until the 26th. Fees are steeper if you register on-site. Otherwise, if you can arrange for a goon to buy your stuff, that's another possibility. If you're not making it Sunday, I believe you can have the check from the auction mailed to you.

Edit: Come to think, an issue with the auction is that if you're only on Saturday, I don't know if you could put it on the block. It could go in the store, but bear in mind Saturday is the "cheap day" and you'd have buyers not expecting to pay a lot. YMMV.

I placed two items in the store and have the print out, but there is no confirmation or payment required, is that how it should be?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, you bring the item and attach the printed tag and then pay for it on-site when you check your items in. Oh, and make sure you have your badge before you check your items in.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, you bring the item and attach the printed tag and then pay for it on-site when you check your items in. Oh, and make sure you have your badge before you check your items in.

Thanks!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I plan to buy Argent, but would love to play a full game before pulling the trigger. If there is an Argent game let me know! It seems right up my alley.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I too would like to play Argent although at this point it seems like I'm signing up for the Argent waiting list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I finally found the link to all of the convention maps (here), so it's as good a time as any to remind people attending events that

:siren:The Marriott and the JW Marriott are two completely different buildings:siren:

JW Marriott = Big Blue Curved Glass Brick
Marriott = Generic Looking Hotel

Don't be a chump like Two Years Ago Haystack and get lost in the wrong building.

• Locked thread