Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Look at this poo poo.

what processor is on that emachines?

E: nevermind saw it was on your previous post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

what processor is on that emachines?

That's an ivy i5 in a three year old computer. The e-machines doesn't quite work yet, but its only upgradeable to 512mb of ram. xp sp3 would run like crap on that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

my stepdads beer posted:

what's cherry trail

14nm atom, some parts of it made by kwinkles

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i will fight you

pram
Jun 10, 2001
atom is a shameful pos

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

kwinkles posted:

14nm atom, some parts of it made by kwinkles

Also celeron Ns probably.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

atom is a shameful pos

They shouldn't call bay trail and later atom. It's not fair to the engineers that turned that steaming pile of poo poo into something good.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pram posted:

atom is a shameful pos

meet me at 6th and congress in 1 hr and be prepared to defend ur balls

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:dukedog:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
atoms sold as pentiums: yes
Arms or amds or powerpcs or sparcs or mips or z80s or 6502s sold as pentiums: no
i rest my case

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

kwinkles posted:

atoms sold as pentiums: yes
Arms or amds or powerpcs or sparcs or mips or z80s or 6502s sold as pentiums: no
i rest my case

I've got your back bro. Pram won;t know how good atom is now until apple ships a product with one.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I've got your back bro. Pram won;t know how good atom is now until apple ships a product with one.

its ok, save yourself, i will die on this hill. mt bonnell microarchitecture hill.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

kwinkles posted:

its ok, save yourself, i will die on this hill. mt bonnell microarchitecture hill.

Seriously though, my friend bought one of those x205tas when they were on sale for $150. It ran Civ V, Assasins Creed, and fallout NV no problems. I mean not the latest and greatest but compared to atoms of yesteryear it blew me away.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
get a room you two

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

also known as "normal humans"

autism affects 1 in 68 children

hardly normal, child.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
i had an nforce board. had some sort of built in firewall on the nic. would let text through fine but would corrupt binary data every so often. so it was impossible to download anything, web browsing was fine except the corruption would cause glitches on all the images. of course the option to turn the pos firewall off did nothing. fortunatly the board had another separate nic with a working controller so i just used that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

stinch posted:

i had an nforce board. had some sort of built in firewall on the nic. would let text through fine but would corrupt binary data every so often. so it was impossible to download anything, web browsing was fine except the corruption would cause glitches on all the images. of course the option to turn the pos firewall off did nothing. fortunatly the board had another separate nic with a working controller so i just used that.

You can just uninstall the nvidia firewall software. Its a 100% optional install.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Doc Block posted:

microsoft bought the company that made rosetta and refused to renew apple's contract, which forced apple to drop it for OS X 10.6, which lead to a ton of morons posting about how APPLE IS loving US AGAIN, etc.

rofl that owns

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Doc Block posted:

microsoft bought the company that made rosetta and refused to renew apple's contract, which forced apple to drop it for OS X 10.6, which lead to a ton of morons posting about how APPLE IS loving US AGAIN, etc.

so microsoft is the reason i can't play diablo ii ??

welcome to a new level of contempt

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
someone explain what zen is and why my amd retard fanboy friend keeps bringing it up tia

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I thought this thread was for talking about oven heating elements, aka amd processors

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm making lasagna tonight

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mishaq posted:

autism affects 1 in 68 children

hardly normal, child.

hmm autism effects the same percentage as there are computer users running macs. makes you think.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

hmm autism effects the same percentage as there are computer users running macs. makes you think.

:captainpop:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

but we all know you dont use macs

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

someone explain what zen is and why my amd retard fanboy friend keeps bringing it up tia

new processor architecture that amd is claiming will be good on PowerPoint slides

people are hoping for it to maybe be good or close to as good as Intel pro a a few generations old

planned for 2016, if the company survives long enough to release it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
zen is planned to be only 10% behind in speed compared to like 2 year old intel chips iirc. no word on the power usage.

and this is the best case scenario

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

SYSV Fanfic posted:

lol

i think you missed out on the part where apple's answer to the atom based devices was the Macbook Air which outright defined the playing field and rules for the Ultrabook class of computers, thus demolishing the atom netbook market in one single product announcement swoop.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

lol

i think you missed out on the part where apple's answer to the atom based devices was the Macbook Air which outright defined the playing field and rules for the Ultrabook class of computers, thus demolishing the atom netbook market in one single product announcement swoop.

no, the original macbook air sold horribly and sucked poo poo

slow rear end hard drive and super underclocked core 2 duo lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

zen is planned to be only 10% behind in speed compared to like 2 year old intel chips iirc. no word on the power usage.

and this is the best case scenario

they will have to restructure somehow before they can release it anyway

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

no, the original macbook air sold horribly and sucked poo poo

slow rear end hard drive and super underclocked core 2 duo lol

so you're saying the macbook air in fact did not kill atom netbooks, this truly is your stance and you stand by it, yes?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

zen death robot posted:

I thought the iPad killed netbooks

to be fair the ipad killed laptops in general and probably cannibalized a ton of macbook/macbook air sales as well, but specifically comparing built-in keyboard type devices...

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sniep posted:

lol

Good thing the atom cores make up the bulk of celeron and pentium shipments now. It'd be a terrible, terrible blow to intel if the micro architecture just depended on the sales of lovely 9" netbooks no one really wanted in the first place.

Doesn't AMD have some kind of atom competitor and sony and MS said good enough for gamers. Then AMD sold them the part at a price that doesn't result in much profit?

Edit:
Gartner said 83% of pentium and celeron shipments in q4 2014. What a loving failure and disgrace

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 23, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

so you're saying the macbook air in fact did not kill atom netbooks, this truly is your stance and you stand by it, yes?

of course

zen death robot posted:

I thought the iPad killed netbooks

yeah this

also the fact that regular laptops just got cheaper so there was no need to cramp yourself to some tiny rear end screen and no processing power if you only want to pay like $400 for a laptop

Sniep posted:

to be fair the ipad killed laptops in general

sniep i am afraid you may be insane and/or posting from an alternate universe

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Good thing the atom cores make up the bulk of celeron and pentium shipments now. It'd be a terrible, terrible blow to intel if the micro architecture just depended on the sales of lovely 9" netbooks no one really wanted in the first place.

Doesn't AMD have some kind of atom competitor and sony and MS said good enough for gamers. Then AMD sold them the part at a price that doesn't result in much profit?

Edit:
Gartner said 83% of pentium and celeron shipments in q4 2014. What a loving failure and disgrace

yeah but modern atom basically just works like a slightly shittier i3 core, instead of old atom which was basically "a pentium ii but in 2008" or w/e

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i thought atoms were literally p3s

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

what

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jaguar or something...

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

i thought atoms were literally p3s

no, ure thinking core architecture. P3ms because the p4 was such poo poo.

I remember my frich kid friends frantically upgrading to p4s. Then when all the benchmarks came out they were worse off than with a p3. Was a lot of lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A rich kid (well, actually I suspected he was up to his eyeballs in debt) got an alienware laptop

with a p4 prescott desktop cpu

his battery life was like 20m

• Locked thread