Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
redmond, start your photocopiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
this is so embarrasing

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

And you can download them all today if you just can't wait for release! Even download the source clipart to make your own!
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/21/a-fun-surprise-for-windows-insiders/

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
at a cartoon network writer's meeting:
"im sorry phil this idea is just too dumb to put in one of our children's cartoon shows. we're going to have to send it straight to ms marketing"

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i'm ready for this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Metrication posted:

i'm ready for this

personally I can't wait for mikkkroshaft's death because finally Amigas will return

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Audi, BMW, and Mercedes bought HERE maps for $2.72 billion.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

this is a badarse av

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
kinda wanna start using si prefixes for bubble sales

oh so they got here maps for 2.7 gigadollars? doesn't match the 19 gigadollars whatsapp got

sounds dumb as gently caress so it fits in perfectly with everything else on this bad earth

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Amethyst posted:

this is a badarse av
ty. i forget who made it but its from one of those tumblr gifs -> avs threads.

AtomD posted:

kinda wanna start using si prefixes for bubble sales

oh so they got here maps for 2.7 gigadollars? doesn't match the 19 gigadollars whatsapp got

sounds dumb as gently caress so it fits in perfectly with everything else on this bad earth

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/21/daimler-bmw-audi-nokia-maps-sale/

quote:

On paper, Here is only valued at around $785 million, but a sale in the billions now seems assured.
checks out

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 22, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

1 week away!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

error1 posted:

And you can download them all today if you just can't wait for release! Even download the source clipart to make your own!
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/21/a-fun-surprise-for-windows-insiders/

That's why Microsoft is cool again.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/21/dells-latitude-12-rugged-tablet/

epic

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
its bad enough being in a warzone without carrying a microsoft tablet

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

only works down to -20F because gently caress canadians, siberians and scandinavians

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Koj_xvdRA
I'm all the fake metro apps used by people who absolutely MUST use a computer while they're also handling an angle grinder

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

doing support for machine shops is usually "buy the cheapest piece of poo poo because no matter what you'll be replacing it in, like, 3 months or less"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

error1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Koj_xvdRA
I'm all the fake metro apps used by people who absolutely MUST use a computer while they're also handling an angle grinder

using the words "breaks away at a moments notice" is a pretty poor choice of words for a promo video, looks good thoug

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

sticking with my lets note until i see it can withstand the bum pressure of a petite japanese woman

orange sky
May 7, 2007

http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2015/07/21/every-developer-can-now-build-their-career-with-azure-vidyapeeth/

That's awesome, another knowledge base!

With a great, easy to remember name, too!

Guess they only want people in India to go there.

Also, this comment on that page is gold:

Stanislav Zhelyazkov • 17 hours ago
I've downloaded the app on Windows Phone.From the archived webianrs I choose one and than register. That leads me to a blank black page which only has sign "Get Flash" .Epic fail

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

only works down to -20F because gently caress canadians, siberians and scandinavians

that's pretty dang cold, tho. most scandinavians don't experience that except once every few years. it's probably a yearly thing way way up north, but almost nobody lives there.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

shadow puppet of a posted:

sticking with my lets note until i see it can withstand the bum pressure of a petite japanese woman

please don't sign your posts with my fetish

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wheany posted:

that's pretty dang cold, tho. most scandinavians don't experience that except once every few years. it's probably a yearly thing way way up north, but almost nobody lives there.

here in montreal temperatures get lower than that pretty consistently in the middle of winter

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

why is there a selfie camera in something like this purported for actual purposeful task use

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

univbee posted:

here in montreal temperatures get lower than that pretty consistently in the middle of winter

Also minnesota and the dakotas. This episode of north america is colder than europe has been brought to you by the letter M

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

univbee posted:

uh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol panasonic has had rugged tablets in multiple sizes and the option of windows or android for quite some time

http://business.panasonic.com/toughpad/us/windows-tablet-fz-g1.html

the -10C thing is a lithium ion batteries, they just do not work if they get cold. conveniently if you fire it up in your truck and then take it outside it'll keep itself warm. or so i've been told; i've only used rugged computers when pushing the other end of the temperature extremes

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

univbee posted:

blue bands are 90th percentile

-20F would be -29C

Daily High and Low Temperature, Montréal

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

-20F is almost -29C. It doesn't happen "often" but there are at least a few days in like February-ish where temperature gets down to there, especially if you factor in windchill and the like (I have no idea if this is important for electronic operating temperatures).

Here's "feels like -28" in March of this year.

Again, I don't know if this Dell tablet (or electronics in general) is going to care about feels or not

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 22, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

we had one (1) day this year where the temperature fell below -20F, and that was during the coldest february on record

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/montreal/h2k/february-weather/56186?monyr=2/1/2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

electronics do not care about windchill or heat index. well, condensing humidity is a problem and related to heat index but i digress

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

electronics do not care about windchill or heat index. well, condensing humidity is a problem and related to heat index but i digress

ok fair enough, this answers that. i know that equipment with mechanical parts was a challenge in montreal winters (like news cameras back when they used tape) but without moving parts i guess you'd have more leeway

edit i also guess it's less of a concern since you likely won't be using the equipment at like midnight outside

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rugged laptops with spinning disks needed hard drive heaters to get to even those "limited' low temperature ranges. they'd boot up to the bios and make you wait while the hard drive warmed up before booting to windows

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

rugged laptops with spinning disks needed hard drive heaters to get to even those "limited' low temperature ranges. they'd boot up to the bios and make you wait while the hard drive warmed up before booting to windows

thats actually pretty cool

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

quote:

You can use the multi-touch screen with work gloves and easily see the 11.6-inch HD screen (1366 x 768) in bright sunlight.

Ouch

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

since high dpi scaling doesn't work in windows thats actually a feature

direct sunlight displays can't have the pixel density of "normal" displays. the panasonics at least with the "HD" displays are around 1000 nits - thats twice the brightness of an iphone 5s

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Metrication posted:

i'm ready for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

hobbesmaster posted:

since high dpi scaling doesn't work in windows thats actually a feature

direct sunlight displays can't have the pixel density of "normal" displays. the panasonics at least with the "HD" displays are around 1000 nits - thats twice the brightness of an iphone 5s
also, if you're designing something to work in cold, you have to do some weird specialty bullshit because otherwise the screen becomes a blurry rainbow-colored mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i like to imagine ms marketing execs fighting over that ninja unicorn cat dinosaur thing

meeting after meeting being called for dozens of teams to each pitch ever-more-desperate marketing schemes based around them and then scream at each other for hours, each project manager and team lead desperate to tie as many things to it at possible and then claim credit for the success, with shadowy vps rooting them on from just outside the doors, each hoping to be the one to claim credit for the idea itself come next bonus time, already crafting their bonus criteria around how many monkey cheese bacon ninja things they can push onto people

microsoft is way more fun than other dysfunctional companies, because when other companies do a bunch of dumb things, the reason is "because a bunch of people, mostly upper management, were dumb". but when microsoft does dumb things, the answer is usually because all ideas, regardless of whether they come from a smart person or a dumb person, are immediately shredded into an unrecognizable hell-thought by multiple rounds of horrific internal corporate thunderdome like a game of satanic telephone, where every word gets transfigured by brutal executive infighting and team friction until it becomes an arcane marketing phrase barely comprehensible to mortal men

• Locked thread