Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Are we sure Golden and Muschamp aren't some terrible coach from years past split into two people like Piccolo/Kami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Steve Addazio And Dudes

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Raku posted:

Are we sure Golden and Muschamp aren't some terrible coach from years past split into two people like Piccolo/Kami

Naw, Muschamp for all his failing on offense still managed to recruit well and have really good defenses. Al Golden recruits well, but then drives half of each class away with stupid bullshit and can't find an identity on either side of the ball despite having a shot ton of NFL draft picks.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

David Cutcliffe is the only one in the front row who looks like he wants to be there.

He also looks to have lost a ton of weight

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Cut just had a stroke and thinks he's still coaching in the SEC.

Nobody in that pic is glad to be there. Beamer has actual real life poo poo to deal with, London can't wait to be fired, Petrino is daydreaming about random tail, Fisher realizes it's all downhill from 2013, Dabo's too stupid to know any better and Johnson is hoping if he gets mad enough everyone sitting there will spontaneously combust all at once and he can stop pretending that he likes doing anything.

The depression on Fedora alone just seals that picture's freshness.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 22, 2015

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

MourningView posted:

Hutson Mason had the weakest looking arm I have ever seen from a major conference starting QB and I root for loving Iowa.

How soon we forget The Nick Sheridan Experience.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dattserberg posted:

How soon we forget The Nick Sheridan Experience.

Or Skyler Mornhinweg

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I read UAB football gets to come back in 2017 as a full FBS program. No probation period, no FBS transition status, their head coach will remain, and CUSA will keep them in their conference. Now, to see how long it takes UAB to win a game after effectively a two year death penalty.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Korranus posted:

I read UAB football gets to come back in 2017 as a full FBS program. No probation period, no FBS transition status, their head coach will remain, and CUSA will keep them in their conference. Now, to see how long it takes UAB to win a game after effectively a two year death penalty.

How fast can they schedule UVA.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
People talking about bad qbs like they forgot Jonathon Crompton

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Reggie Ball... was QB before I became a GT fan so I have no uncomfortable memories associated with him, suckers. :smug:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to make a thread for worst all-time starters team for power conference teams.

I'm not actually going to do that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

He was somehow drafted

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

Reggie Ball... was QB before I became a GT fan so I have no uncomfortable memories associated with him, suckers. :smug:

Georgia Tech QB completion percentage by year:

2004: 48.8%
2005: 47.0%
2006: 47.2%
2007: 49.3%
----------------------- Paul Johnson era begins
2008: 44.8%
2009: 46.3%
2010: 38.1%
2011: 49.1%
2012: 52.6%
2013: 45.3%
2014: 52.2%

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Crompton plays for the Alouettes, and I'm bummed because I'm going to be in Montreal this weekend but they don't have a home game.

Crompton also did this.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
He has pretty hair now too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

JesustheDarkLord posted:

He has pretty hair now too.

Someone say bad qb with good hair?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Someone doing an unrelated research project found this document in the University of Houston archives. It's realignment 1950s style - in 1955 the SEC seriously discussed adding two small but promising programs - Miami, who had become a regular in the polls after the war, and Houston, which was at the time a whites-only private school in the Missouri Valley Conference. There was also a second proposal (in cursive at the bottom) to also add FSU and Louisville, and split the SEC into two eight-team conferences.

Why the vote never happened is lost to history -

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
FSU true freshman DB Derwin James benching 405lbs: https://instagram.com/p/5bYFu7JV7z/

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wandler20 posted:

FSU true freshman DB Derwin James benching 405lbs: https://instagram.com/p/5bYFu7JV7z/

Terrifying news for the women of Tallhassee.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Someone has to wingman the big ones

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

Someone has to wingman upper-cut the big ones

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm going to make a thread for worst all-time starters team for power conference teams.

I'm not actually going to do that.

I think this is a great thread idea, but the answer is Reggie Ball. Who knows what Nick Sheridan could have done if he had Calvin Johnson?

I was just about to say Ohio State's is Steve Bellasari but somehow I had completely blocked out Joe Bauserman from my memory.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I was just about to say Ohio State's is Steve Bellasari but somehow I had completely blocked out Joe Bauserman from my memory.

Outside of some occasional Braxton magic there really isn't anything worth remembering about the 2011 season. What a shitshow that was.

Bellasari could've redeemed himself somewhat with a strong finish to the 01 season. Instead he got a DUI two nights before the biggest game of the season.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 22, 2015

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

kittenmittons posted:

Outside of some occasional Braxton magic there really isn't anything worth remembering about the 2011 season. What a shitshow that was.

I remember Gene Smith deciding to give that poo poo team a chance at a crappy bowl game, when the next year they would have had a shot at a national championship.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I think this is a great thread idea, but the answer is Reggie Ball. Who knows what Nick Sheridan could have done if he had Calvin Johnson?

It's Bauserman then senior year Boeckman. Bauserman spent more time hitting the stands than his receivers, but Boeckman was bad enough that freshman Pryor took over despite having some of the worst mechanics known to man on a team that had the skill guys to beat Oregon in the rose bowl that year. Bauserman though had literally Philly Brown, Devin Smith, Devier Posey, and Evan Spencer to throw to all of whom are on NFL rosters. He's unquestionably the worst osu had but osu admittedly is very spoiled with qbs

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Korranus posted:

:confuoot:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There are lots of worse QBs overall that Mason he just had the worst arm that I can remember.

Reggie Ball managing to complete less that half his passes despite having Calvin Johnson going against college CBs is probably the all time undisputed champion of overall quarterback badness. And he somehow started for four years. At least Sheridan was a one year emergency thing when the only other option was an increasingly broken Steven Threet trying to run zone reads.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

There are lots of worse QBs overall that Mason he just had the worst arm that I can remember.

Reggie Ball managing to complete less that half his passes despite having Calvin Johnson going against college CBs is probably the all time undisputed champion of overall quarterback badness. And he somehow started for four years. At least Sheridan was a one year emergency thing when the only other option was an increasingly broken Steven Threet trying to run zone reads.

Even better is the man who coached him has been given TWO NFL head coaching jobs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Coaching QBs and hiding their weaknesses is actually probably the one thing he does well (he made Kordell Stewart seem kind of promising, got Ryan Fitzpatrick a comical contract, and briefly made Tyler Thigpen an almost passable NFL QB) so that actually makes Reggie Ball's badness even more awe inspiring.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 22, 2015

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I've never seen one individual max out on effort as much as Reginald Ball did to sink his team's chances against its biggest rival. Dude was serenaded with a "four more years!" chant for a reason back in '06.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

LeeMajors posted:

:vince:

Somewhere a lawyer defending a rapist is releasing your name on Twitter to the general public so FSU fans can hunt you down

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Scarf posted:

Someone say bad qb with good hair?

pshh. That's basically the only thing we have. From Big XII media days yesterday.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

pshh. That's basically the only thing we have. From Big XII media days yesterday.

This is me IRL.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I'm the tiny white skirt

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo I never knew this. I got reminded of Mike Singletary from 49ers fans complaining about him in the NFL thread and I wondered if he's coaching anywhere or not (he's not since '13). But Baylor...

quote:

In 2002, a group of alumni at Baylor University promoted Singletary for the school's open head coaching position, holding a conference call (which included Mike Ditka and Dave McGinnis) with the university administration. The position ultimately went to Guy Morriss. Singletary at the time had no head or assistant coaching experience and the university president later stated that they wanted to hire a coach with prior “head coaching experience.”

Eh, six of one, half dozen of the other. Singletary would possibly have been an upgrade over Morris. But there's more:

quote:

With Morriss leaving Baylor after the 2007 season, Singletary appeared to be the leading candidate for his replacement, and expressed interest in the job. On November 19, 2007, Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw flew to San Francisco to interview Singletary. However, Singletary decided against taking the position. Singletary's son Matt was a freshman on the Baylor team in 2007.

If that's true Baylor didn't hire Samurai Mike only because he wasn't interested in the job, so they had to settle for Art Briles instead. Talk about falling into success despite yourself :psyduck:

e: Guy Morris is now coaching O Line in high school by the way. He is 64 so this is probably his retirement and just doing something he loves doing, which is actually kind of cool even if he was a terrible coach.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 22, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Is somebody going to do a predictions thread this year? I'd start it, but it would be a very depressing OP.

I might start it. I feel good about Baylor this year, could use the opportunity to gush.

Grittybeard posted:

If that's true Baylor didn't hire Samurai Mike only because he wasn't interested in the job, so they had to settle for Art Briles instead. Talk about falling into success despite yourself :psyduck:

Kind of an interesting 'what-if' to think about, if Baylor had gotten Singletary. Wonder how he would have done - Wikipedia tells me his NFL coaching career wasn't very good, but that doesn't necessarily say anything about his aptitude in the college game. Would have been a very, very different sort of Baylor team than Briles has built, without question. Almost certainly better this way, though - even if Singletary had made Baylor as good as Briles has, it probably would have been a hard-nosed defensive-minded team and then we're basically just TCU in Green.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 22, 2015

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Korranus posted:

Someone doing an unrelated research project found this document in the University of Houston archives. It's realignment 1950s style - in 1955 the SEC seriously discussed adding two small but promising programs - Miami, who had become a regular in the polls after the war, and Houston, which was at the time a whites-only private school in the Missouri Valley Conference. There was also a second proposal (in cursive at the bottom) to also add FSU and Louisville, and split the SEC into two eight-team conferences.

Why the vote never happened is lost to history -

I think I've found the reason, digging through some news archives.

The SEC couldn't just expanded. Their constitution was set at 12 members and vote had to be held to change the constitution before they could vote on which teams to admit. Nine votes of approval were required to change the constitution. Miami and Houston were supposed to be put up to a vote at the SEC meeting, being held Dec. 9-10, but I found no reference to a vote ever being held.

Miami had been a constant SEC rumor, to the point in 1949 of:

INS wire, Oct. 11, 1949 posted:

The Kentuckians need six S.E.C. victories if they are to claim the conference title they seemed destined for this year and their schedule only lists five league opponents.

A special dispensation by the executive committee approved Miami as the sixth legitimate Southeastern foe, a ruling unusual enough to indicate the committee's willingness to admit the capable Hurricanes as the 13th team in the conference.

Later that year, with Miami still heavily rumored, the SEC didn't get the nine votes required to change the constitution.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/RonAiken/status/623934463374925825

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

He does this poo poo all the time

• Locked thread