Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It begins... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Finally :unsmigghh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fantastic, fine the poo poo out of them. With any luck it'll lead to a court battle that the state can win, and open the way to finally dismantling senior water rights. The whole system is completely unsustainable in general, it's just a shame it took the literal drought of the century for the state to notice.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

As someone who comes from a state who's problem is getting rid of an over abundance of water, is there a specific reason why there are so many Californians trying to farm in extremely arid or desert like areas other than because they have "water rights"?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Back Hack posted:

As someone who comes from a state who's problem is getting rid of an over abundance of water, is there a specific reason why there are so many Californians trying to farm in extremely arid or desert like areas other than because they have "water rights"?

The central valley isn't a desert (in fact a significant amount would be wetlands some parts of the year). It is also one of the most fertile lands on earth if you can actually get water to it and has no non growing season. There's a reason like half your produce (wherever you live) comes from California. Yes, ag needs to conserve, but with the exception of the imperial valley (which doesn't have as much of a water crisis at the moment), the "stupid californians growing poo poo in the desert" narrative is bullshit. Further, if you like eating things that aren't grain or meat, you kinda need us.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nm posted:

The central valley isn't a desert (in fact a significant amount would be wetlands some parts of the year). It is also one of the most fertile lands on earth if you can actually get water to it and has no non growing season. There's a reason like half your produce (wherever you live) comes from California. Yes, ag needs to conserve, but with the exception of the imperial valley (which doesn't have as much of a water crisis at the moment), the "stupid californians growing poo poo in the desert" narrative is bullshit. Further, if you like eating things that aren't grain or meat, you kinda need us.

Yeah it's not a desert places like Los Banos are a Mediterranean climate.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Back Hack posted:

As mentioned above, it's only a desert in the sense that it receives low rainfall. Before westerners arrived, there was a giant lake in the Central valley that deposited tons of topsoil over thousands of years, and it only disappeared when the rivers that fed it were dammed. Much like Lake Chad or the Aral Sea, river diversion dramatically changed the climate, though unlike those states most of the water was still available for use in the region.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!

Rah! posted:

It's not really CA's second largest city unless you're measuring things by city-limits, which are pretty arbitrary. The second largest city (metropolitan area) in CA is SF/the Bay Area. :smugbert:

Or, as they call it in the Bay Area, "measuring from the taint"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Back Hack posted:

Even places where it is a genuine desert, irrigating in places like the Coachella valley creates by far the most productive ($/acre) farmland in the US. It's not sustainable for a number of reasons but no the productivity is absolutely unmatched.

Edit:

California cropland value 2014 was 10140 $/acre. National average was 4100 $/acre. The $10140 is aggregate over the state, with by far the highest values coming from irrigated desert in the south.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 21, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Following up on that as another foreigner who only sporadically reads this thread, if the Central Valley's all hunky-dory in terms of climate and all that, then why's agricultural water consumption such an issue in the first place?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Following up on that as another foreigner who only sporadically reads this thread, if the Central Valley's all hunky-dory in terms of climate and all that, then why's agricultural water consumption such an issue in the first place?

The water comes from the snow pack in the surrounding mountains. We haven't had a good snow is several years.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

nm posted:

the "stupid californians growing poo poo in the desert" narrative is bullshit.

Yeah I see this everywhere as comments to news articles or posts on reddit and it's obnoxious, along with "maybe you guys shouldn't have built your major cities in the desert :smug:." A passing glance at any map of climate regions or precipitation in the state make it obvious how wrong this is.

Ron Jeremy posted:

The water comes from the snow pack in the surrounding mountains. We haven't had a good snow is several years.

This is why a strong El Nino might not be as great as some are making it out to be (that and landslides and flooding). El Nino means it's warmer, so a lot of the precipitation the Sierras will get might fall as rain instead of snow. It will still help with reservoirs, though. And of course, we'd need more rain than one big El Nino can afford us to get rid of the drought, but at this point, just a return to normal yearly precipitation would be a godsend.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bizarro Watt posted:

This is why a strong El Nino might not be as great as some are making it out to be (that and landslides and flooding). El Nino means it's warmer, so a lot of the precipitation the Sierras will get might fall as rain instead of snow. It will still help with reservoirs, though. And of course, we'd need more rain than one big El Nino can afford us to get rid of the drought, but at this point, just a return to normal yearly precipitation would be a godsend.
Yeah, an El Nino wouldn't do much for the snowpack. It would water crops and lawns, fill the reservoirs, recharge the Sacremento River, and start refilling the aquifers. Much better than the last four years of nothing, but we need several years of 'normal' rain before the all the drought effects are reversed.

I also read that because of last moth's giant storms in the Rockies (remember when Denver almost floated away?), the Colorado River is running way above normal, which means all the allocated water and more for areas that get supplied by the Colorado (mostly SoCal). So that's nice.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

FMguru posted:

Yeah, an El Nino wouldn't do much for the snowpack. It would water crops and lawns, fill the reservoirs, recharge the Sacremento River, and start refilling the aquifers. Much better than the last four years of nothing, but we need several years of 'normal' rain before the all the drought effects are reversed.

I also read that because of last moth's giant storms in the Rockies (remember when Denver almost floated away?), the Colorado River is running way above normal, which means all the allocated water and more for areas that get supplied by the Colorado (mostly SoCal). So that's nice.

That 2nd part is good to hear. That's also where the Imperial Valley gets water from, so at least one area of the state should have decent agricultural output (I assume).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FMguru posted:

Pretty sure that's not true. As of last month, Lake Mead recorded its lowest level (1075.08 feet) since it was being filled in 1937 (April 1937: 1044.6 feet)

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

People from other states are really ignorant of California's ecology in general. It's a dry state, but only the far southeastern part of it is actually a desert. The rest of it basically has a Mediterranean climate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

People from other states are really ignorant of California's ecology in general. It's a dry state, but only the far southeastern part of it is actually a desert. The rest of it basically has a Mediterranean climate.

Oh sounds like this thread could use a map!

Also why does that map think there is a huge lake near Bakersfield.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 21, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trabisnikof posted:

It's presumably showing pre-contact vegetation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thanks! I was little confused about my pre-contact geography.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Pretty sure that's not true. As of last month, Lake Mead recorded its lowest level (1075.08 feet) since it was being filled in 1937 (April 1937: 1044.6 feet)

Lake Powell got a huge boost in water level but you're right, Lake Mead is still sinking.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
El Nino giveth, and En Nino taketh away: Hawaii is suffering under a severe drought, and the projected El Nino shift looks to make things worse for them

http://thevane.gawker.com/hawaii-is-slipping-back-into-drought-and-el-nino-could-1719369216

The sooner cheap solar-powered de-sal gets here, the better off we'll all be.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Trabisnikof posted:

This is definitely a pre-white people map, as there are no wetlands in the central/southern central valley outside of the Delta system just west of the Stockton/Sacramento area, and even that is now heavily canal covered.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Ya, no. A lot of it is now desert because the once massive central valley delta system has been almost entirely diverted into canals and aquaducts for ag usage. Everything south of Bakersfield is arid land that gets water piped into it.

Bip Roberts posted:

Even places where it is a genuine desert, irrigating in places like the Coachella valley creates by far the most productive ($/acre) farmland in the US. It's not sustainable for a number of reasons but no the productivity is absolutely unmatched.

Edit:

California cropland value 2014 was 10140 $/acre. National average was 4100 $/acre. The $10140 is aggregate over the state, with by far the highest values coming from irrigated desert in the south.
A not insignificant part of this is that CA cropland is right next door to LA and the SF bay areas, 2 of the 6 largest metropolitan areas in the country. It also makes shipping products to Asia faster and more viable (cough almonds).

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 22, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

cheese posted:

This is definitely a pre-white people map, as there are no wetlands in the central/southern central valley outside of the Delta system just west of the Stockton/Sacramento area, and even that is now heavily canal covered.

On closer inspection the map also has the Salton Sea, so it looks more anachronistic than anything.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

California has a special weather cycle, you only get rain during a normal year in the cool winter months.

For the rest of the year the state depends on snow melt for water supply from the Sierra Nevada mountains.

The drought has been so devastating since there hasn't been much rain or snow during this decade.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

cheese posted:

Mostly true, but a bit of the original wetland system is still around in the Kern National Wildlife Refuge. Nothing compared to what it once was (apparently the largest in the western US), but it's there.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The West Valley is definitely a desert. Have you driven through there lately? It looks like Mordor.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
There's a contest to win a house in Jackson by paying 100$ and submitting a dessert to be taste tested.

I have a dessert that would win for sure, so I was thinking let's do this.

Then I remembered where Jackson is.

No thank you.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Just saw this post on a FB friend's wall:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/174/979/908/the-east-bay-forests-around-your-home-are-slated-for-destruction/

A bunch of ecologically-ignorant pseudo-hippies trying to save the invasive, water-sucking, wildfire-kindling eucalyptus trees because they look nice. Add in a lot of scare tactics about herbicides and toxins for good measure, too.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hahaha "some of the herbicides have been shown to cause damage to DNA." You know what else damages DNA? The sun, apples, looking at them funny. That's why you have trillions of strands.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

e_angst posted:

Just saw this post on a FB friend's wall:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/174/979/908/the-east-bay-forests-around-your-home-are-slated-for-destruction/

A bunch of ecologically-ignorant pseudo-hippies trying to save the invasive, water-sucking, wildfire-kindling eucalyptus trees because they look nice. Add in a lot of scare tactics about herbicides and toxins for good measure, too.

I went to a talk on this, and there seemed to be pretty compelling arguments on both sides for eucalyptus, from arborists and botanists, not just hippies and NIMBYists. There is an entire contingent of pseudo-hippies who want to turn the entire Bay Area back to sand dunes and native plants as well... Which are perfect for wild fires and not really conducive for human cities.

Basically I have no idea where to fall on this issue, but it seems stuff like the sutro forest reserve makes for a good fog wall and retains moisture and coolness...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Space-Bird posted:

I went to a talk on this, and there seemed to be pretty compelling arguments on both sides for eucalyptus, from arborists and botanists, not just hippies and NIMBYists. There is an entire contingent of pseudo-hippies who want to turn the entire Bay Area back to sand dunes and native plants as well... Which are perfect for wild fires and not really conducive for human cities.

Basically I have no idea where to fall on this issue, but it seems stuff like the sutro forest reserve makes for a good fog wall and retains moisture and coolness...

Yeah, my gut is that we probably do need to remove a bunch of eucalyptus, but I think there's probably something better than just ripping them out and leaving huge construction site style scars in the wake, which I think is the fear of most people.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, my gut is that we probably do need to remove a bunch of eucalyptus, but I think there's probably something better than just ripping them out and leaving huge construction site style scars in the wake, which I think is the fear of most people.

Yeah. I'm sort of inclined to leave them unless there are extremely compelling arguments for them being a fire hazard, which they might be, on the Oakland side? There seems to be no real proposals for what they could be replaced with. It's hard to get actual helpful facts because everyone has these weird half-informed environmentalist angles or flat out NIMBYist angles. Like is it really a hazard, or is it just a plan to open up more land for development? I know the bay area needs more development, and razing a bunch of trees seem to be an easier target than say..tackling something stupid like San Francisco's Sunlight Ordinance. That being said, green negative spaces are pretty important too...

The talk I went to was about the UCSF Sutro Reserve specifically, and I was convinced that it probably should be left there, after everything was said... but holy crap, it was one of those 'town hall' style meetings...and for every well informed opinion there were 10 people with the most banal insane pseudo-science opinions on the subject.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Eucalyptus is tough. The trees are obviously non-native and have a disastrous effect on the biodiversity of everything under their crowns, but some stuff has figured out how to use the trees as its habitat. (Migrating Monarchs, especially.) That stuff would be displaced during a clear-cut operation. They definitely leave highly flammable poo poo all over the place and explode when burned, flinging flaming oil all over.

I'd be more in favor of a controlled removal process that replaced them with native trees, assuming native trees could even grow naturally in the places that supported the euks. (Ever seen an old picture of basically any Californian town?)

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

CPColin posted:

I'd be more in favor of a controlled removal process that replaced them with native trees, assuming native trees could even grow naturally in the places that supported the euks. (Ever seen an old picture of basically any Californian town?)

Sycamores are native and grow well here in the same areas as Eucalyptus.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

CPColin posted:

Eucalyptus is tough. The trees are obviously non-native and have a disastrous effect on the biodiversity of everything under their crowns, but some stuff has figured out how to use the trees as its habitat. (Migrating Monarchs, especially.) That stuff would be displaced during a clear-cut operation. They definitely leave highly flammable poo poo all over the place and explode when burned, flinging flaming oil all over.

I've heard it argued that they only become a fire hazard if thinned enough to not retain moisture. I think the phrase 'native plants' sounds good on paper, but most native plants out here have basically evolved to burn up. I'm not sure re-introducing them would be a safer solution. Cities, humans, etc..are all non-native too, if there is a better option than eucalyptis I'm all for it though. It feels like the conversation never gets this far though, because people are talking about free-radicals and mind altering DNA or like, return-to-nature fantasies.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

California's native plants are kind of suicidal when it comes to wild fires. Many of them intentionally douse themselves in the plant equivalent of jet fuel so that fires burn hotter and faster.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Baby Babbeh posted:

California's native plants are kind of suicidal when it comes to wild fires. Many of them intentionally douse themselves in the plant equivalent of jet fuel so that fires burn hotter and faster.

Plant jet fuel can't melt wooden trunks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Space-Bird posted:

I've heard it argued that they only become a fire hazard if thinned enough to not retain moisture. I think the phrase 'native plants' sounds good on paper, but most native plants out here have basically evolved to burn up. I'm not sure re-introducing them would be a safer solution. Cities, humans, etc..are all non-native too, if there is a better option than eucalyptis I'm all for it though. It feels like the conversation never gets this far though, because people are talking about free-radicals and mind altering DNA or like, return-to-nature fantasies.
The thing is, it's not just the trees themselves. Eucalyptus trees drop a lot of litter in any heavy wind, including not only leaves but large branches. That litter is a great spot for a fire to grow, and in a forest it's not going to be cleared regularly. I agree that some sort of slow transition from eucalyptuses to native trees (if possible) would be a much better solution than clear-cutting.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chop down all the eucalyptus and let acacia grow in to replace them :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
For some reason a lot of Eucalyptus and Jacarandas in my area got planted right where people are gonna park their cars. Yeah, lets have two horribly messy species right where people are going to leave their expensive vehicles :thumbsup:

Boy I love having heavy branches fall on my car during the Santa Anas and purple flowers staining the poo poo out of everything during spring, it's really great :smithicide: