Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CancerStick posted:

Re: Third Party keyboard apps

I have only tried SwiftKey, but before I purchase one I had a question. Is it just SwiftKey or how third-party keyboards are at the moment that cause these two things:

1.) Frequently the stock keyboard pops up. A lot of the time this is in iMessage.

2.) Again, a lot of the time with iMessage, where no keyboard even comes up and I have to restart the app to get it to pop up.

I would love to try Nintype but if that is a common thing with all third-party keyboards I don't know if I want to pay $5 for such a buggy experience. Would potentially wait to see if they get fixed.

It is a common thing with all third-party keyboards. When it occurs I open up notes and load the keyboard from there, but I can see it being not worth the hassle to many who frequently text short messages, especially if those messages are entirely acronyms, emoji, and short words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They supposedly fixed 3rd party keyboards in 8.3 but imo it's not worth the hassle

they didn't

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

robodex posted:

they didn't

It's better than before but it's still annoying in most places, and over the past few weeks it's gotten me to the point where I'm just using the default keyboard exclusively.

Sometimes I accidentally hit the globe and I'm reminded, Oh yeah, I do have Nintype, and I use it for a couple minutes and remember why I like it so much, but then the top bar keeps disappearing, it doesn't load into certain apps at all sometimes, and it becomes more a time drainer than saver. I think if Apple ever allows multifinger swiping on the default keyboard it'll be the final nail in this 3rd-party fiasco. For me at least.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah I was probably a little flippant but even after 8.3 and 8.4 I still had problems all the time where it'd either take forever for the keyboard to come up or fall back to the Apple keyboard (even if I had it disabled completely.) I tried a few with no luck. I didn't need swype that bad.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Are 3rd party keyboards any better in the 9 beta?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'm assuming the answer is no because all I can find is people complaining about it, but is there any way to tell siri to not use bluetooth?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm assuming the answer is no because all I can find is people complaining about it, but is there any way to tell siri to not use bluetooth?

:confused:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Maneki Neko posted:

I can't stop laughing at this.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Pull up Siri with your Bluetooth device connected and tap the Bluetooth icon in the lower-right corner. There you can select your Bluetooth device or your phone to be used for Siri, but you'll have to do this each time you reconnect to that device.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If I go to a Best Buy, will they sell me a Verizon iPhone at full price if I do not have Verizon service? If so, can I just pop my T-Mobile SIM card in and be good to go?

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

IuniusBrutus posted:

If I go to a Best Buy, will they sell me a Verizon iPhone at full price if I do not have Verizon service? If so, can I just pop my T-Mobile SIM card in and be good to go?

Buy a T-Mobile phone from Apple. Same model this time and if you don't have an Apple Store they'll just mail it to you. I might be wrong but I think Best Buy won't sell phones without activating them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Maneki Neko posted:

As an aside, I can sometimes/usually get Siri to take requests if I use the old school "voice tag" feature of my factory car audio bluetooth integration.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Past few days Mail has been going crazy and eating up 30-40% of my battery. I'm getting like 8 hours of life before low battery, with 5 hours listed as "usage". I already turned off push for it and set fetching to manual. This is on a 6 on 8.4

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Any chance you have an account on there that is no longer active? My buddy erased an old google apps account, forgot to remove it from mail.app, had notifications off (because he uses the gmail app), but it had no problem destroying his battery while trying to access that account.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

I can't stop laughing at this.

Whaat is this possible with airplane mode and other stuff too? Because bluetooth is working for me but not the rest, maybe I'm issuing the wrong command

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://m.fastcompany.com/3048445/a-sneaky-new-toyota-radio-ad-tells-siri-to-turn-your-phone-off-in-the-car

Apparently it works with airplane mode, as Toyota ran a publicity stunt radio ad in Sweden one day this month that put peoples phones in airplane mode :v:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
*advert stops internet connection to iPhone that was being used to listen to radio*

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Does anyone know the syntax that dates (with timestamps) can have in SMS's in order for them to be "clickable" so that a person can create an appointment in their calendar from it? I seem to recall from back when I had an iPhone, that if I got an SMS like this:

"We confirm your dentist appoint on 21/7/2015 8:00"

... it would have the date and time underlined and be able to create an appointment in my calendar when I tapped on it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I restore my 9.0 iPhone back to 8.4, will I have to redownload everything that I have downloaded off Apple Music since the backup?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes. Restoring to 8.4 will completely erase your phone, reinstall 8.4, then transfer your iTunes 8.4 backup. It won't restore to your 9.0 iCloud backup.

Incidentally, iOS 9 Public Beta 2 is available OTA.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Endless Mike posted:

Incidentally, iOS 9 Public Beta 2 is available OTA.
Rad. Here's the change log from MacRumors:

MacRumors posted:

• Home Sharing - Home Sharing for music was removed in iOS 8.4 with the launch of the new music app and the new Apple Music service, but iTunes chief Eddy Cue said Apple was working to re-add the feature in iOS 9 and it has, in iOS 9 beta 4.

• iPod touch Support - People who purchased one of the new A8-based iPod touch devices last week can now upgrade those devices to iOS 9 beta 4. With this beta, Apple added a new installation profile for the device.

• Volume Button Photos - In iOS 9 beta 3, there was a bug that prevented the volume button from working as a shutter button for the iOS camera. That's been fixed in beta 4 and it's once again possible to snap a photo using the volume buttons on your iOS device.

• Notifications icon - In the Settings app, the icon that represents the Notification setting has been updated with a new red color. The Battery icon has also been fixed and now has rounded edges instead of square edges.

• Picture in Picture for Podcasts - One of the iOS 9 features on the iPad is a multitasking Picture in Picture option that lets users watch a video while continuing to complete other tasks on their iPads. As of iOS 9 beta 4, this works with the Podcasts app.

• Handoff - The Handoff feature in the App Switcher has been moved to the bottom of the app-switching interface. Pull up on the new Handoff bar to open an app. Previously, Handoff was displayed in the app carousel.

• Apple Pay - There's a new option in the Settings app for Apple Pay that lets you turn off the feature that allows Apple Pay be accessed from the home screen with a double click.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
God drat glad they're putting home sharing back in. I used the remote app to control iTunes on my computer all the time

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

FishBulb posted:

God drat glad they're putting home sharing back in. I used the remote app to control iTunes on my computer all the time
Honestly I wish there was an option to make the lock screen and control center controls work for the Remote app if your iTunes is currently playing. I use it that often.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Honestly I wish there was an option to make the lock screen and control center controls work for the Remote app if your iTunes is currently playing. I use it that often.

That would be rad

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, you know what would be cool

If I could use the home button while locked to control songs the way I would with that button on headphones

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Hey for you people with Macs, is Handoff worth the cost in battery by having Bluetooth turned on? One of the things I love about my iPhone is the absurd amount of battery I get compared to my past several Android phones, and I'm sort of hesitating whether to add continuity features to my hackintosh if I lose a bunch of it to bluetooth.

Just thought I'd ask before I lay any more cash down on hardware. I've heard about "Bluetooth Low Energy" but don't know what the impact will be like.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 23, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
The amount of time it takes you to flip up command center and turn bluetooth off drains more battery than leaving bluetooth on for an entire day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Impact is negligible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I leave Bluetooth on at all times and battery is fine.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Battery on iOS 9 is pretty loving baller.

Also, does anyone know what case this is? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZKEYzie2M

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Endless Mike posted:

I leave Bluetooth on at all times and battery is fine.

Seconding this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah don't loving janitor the radios on your phone.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah don't loving janitor the radios on your phone.

seriously. it's not android.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember having Geofenced Bluetooth power back on my Sony 💀 such a relief to leave it on.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Sometimes the sound of my music is lower than normal (I have both volume limit and sound check off). It is almost like it is muffled. To fix this I have to send myself a text, and once the text tone plays all of sudden my music is loud again. Now the thing is it has done this on different iPhones over the years. So I don't think it is a phone issue, instead I've done something a couple of phones ago that is causing this and it keeps repeating due to restoring from back-up. Has anyone else experienced this or have a possible solution? Thanks.

Also this muffled sound is across the board for all apps not just music.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah don't wipe and don't restore from a backup.

edit: Dumb typo. You should wipe but DON'T restore from a backup.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 23, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah don't wipe and don't restore from a backup.

After doing some google-fu (it seems people have been having this problem since Siri came along) I just tried 'reset all settings', and I will see if that works.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm going to hold on to my backup from my 3G for as long as humanely possible and no goon will convince me otherwise.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

nate fisher posted:

After doing some google-fu (it seems people have been having this problem since Siri came along) I just tried 'reset all settings', and I will see if that works.

I just realized what I typed. What I meant is to wipe but don't restore from a backup. But try what you just said too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is Bluetooth kinda hosed for anyone else using the iOS9 public beta 2? I use Bluetooth headphones at work all day every workday and they always worked fine like 10 feet away up until yesterday when I updated to the new beta. Now it seems like even a foot or 2 away from my phone, audio starts cracking and going in and out, and if I go any further away, it'll barely be listenable at all.

I mean I signed up for poo poo like this by beta testing but it seems weird that it wasn't an issue in beta #1.