Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Soylentbits posted:

The news is comedy that thinks it's news.

The news is a pill commercial that thinks it's news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MaskedTai posted:

Everyone always said there'd be a day you agree with Irish Joe.

Didn't think it'd be so soon.

Huh? The show is a thought provoking political commentary....

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Oliver's focus on the charitable credit's fate in the Senate was a little weird. I know exactly what he was talking about, but it's just because I have a weird thing for Congress and their strange rules.

The Constitution contains a provision that all revenue bills must be started in the House. If someone wants to pass a bill that involves increasing or reducing revenues received by the federal government, that bill's origin must come from the House. But sometimes, the Senate wants to pass the bill first. They can't originate a revenue bill, so they perform a trick. They take a revenue bill that has already passed the House but which has died in the Senate, hollow it out, and then put their new bill inside the old bill's shell. Voila, you have a revenue bill that originated from the House, so the bill won't ultimately be found to be unconstitutional due to originating from the wrong side of the legislature.

HR 644 was a bill that couldn't pass the Senate. It died there, and then its corpse was used for an unrelated parliamentary trick.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah, but that unrelated trick didn't pass the house. Which sounds really wrong.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, but that unrelated trick didn't pass the house. Which sounds really wrong.

It did pass the House. When one body modifies the text of a bill and then approves it, the bill travels to the other chamber for them to concur with the new version. The Senate hollowed out the bill in May, and the House voted for the new text of the bill in June.

No bill becomes law until both chambers have approved the exact same text.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Politics is weird.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Politics is weird.

And creepy.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

And now, I know, lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Technogeek posted:

And now, I know, lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality.

It's been like that ever since "politician" became something you do your entire life. Ancient Greek democracy was basically something you did as a side job before you went back to your normal life, kind of like jury duty. Somehow we took that idea and figured the best thing to do with it was create a class of people who spend their entire lives as politicians. Then those people have kids and those kids become politicians themselves.

Politics is out of touch with reality because the only people politicians ever meet are other politicians.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's been like that ever since "politician" became something you do your entire life. Ancient Greek democracy was basically something you did as a side job before you went back to your normal life, kind of like jury duty. Somehow we took that idea and figured the best thing to do with it was create a class of people who spend their entire lives as politicians. Then those people have kids and those kids become politicians themselves.

Politics is out of touch with reality because the only people politicians ever meet are other politicians.

I'm guessing you missed the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuF03PTNpp8

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Me and my GF are going to be in NYC during September. We're both huge fans of the show and figured it'd be fun to catch a filming.

The website only lets you book tickets as far as August. Does anyone know if it will still be filming during September?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How many politicians are first generation politicians and how many are part of political dynasties? I'm guessing that those who enter politics because it's the family business are actually few in number.

If on the other hand you want to complain about it being a rich person's game, that's a horse of a different color.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Me and my GF are going to be in NYC during September. We're both huge fans of the show and figured it'd be fun to catch a filming.

The website only lets you book tickets as far as August. Does anyone know if it will still be filming during September?

Yeah, they are doing 35 episodes this year which should take them to a similar endpoint as last year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Texas legislature acts exactly how the Greeks did it and they're sill a worthless sack of poo poo because it's a bunch of rich people who are usually tied into the industries they're legislating.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDVmldTurqk

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Maybe some of the truest words ever spoken.

I knew about mandatory minimums but good lord, life without parole for a first offense. :stare:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did you first learn about them from the season one West Wing episode? :v:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mo_Steel posted:

I knew about mandatory minimums but good lord, life without parole for a first offense. :stare:

In all fairness, he was a gun-toting drug lord. Not really the most sympathetic figure with which to decry mandatory minimums.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Any exposure is good exposure I suppose but who doesn't already know about this?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

Maybe some of the truest words ever spoken.

The 80s and 90s were a horrific time for non-violent drug offenders and wholly innocent suspects in general. You have the Satanic cult moral panics, the Child Abuse moral panics, and the Evil Drugs are taking over moral panics, all of which led to laws and exceptions made in the interest of protecting the "victims" at the expense of people being thrown in jail for years without trials.

One of my favorite/worst moral panic stories (besides the McKern school trial which was a massive joke to any outside observer) was one case where a sheriff's daughter told her father she was taken by a Satanic cult and molested, and so he drove her around with her in the back seat of his cop car, she pointed out the houses where she was "taken" and then the people living at those houses were arrested as child molesters en masse. It was literally a modern day Salem Witch Trials for close to a decade.

And this poo poo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_Three

Where the fact that they played Dungeons and Dragons made them prime suspects number one. Oh, and a mentally deficient teen was coerced into confessing the exact details the police needed to convict the other 2.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Any exposure is good exposure I suppose but who doesn't already know about this?

A fair number of people actually. Most Americans are pretty unfamiliar with their justice system and don't really know that this is a thing. Especially Americans that never experienced the 80's. Even the ones who know that this used to be a thing usually believe that people that were effected by it had their sentences retroactively changed.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 27, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's been like that ever since "politician" became something you do your entire life.

So, like, 99% of human history.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I swear to god, everything Reagan ever did was terrible.

computer parts posted:

The Texas legislature acts exactly how the Greeks did it and they're sill a worthless sack of poo poo because it's a bunch of rich people who are usually tied into the industries they're legislating.

Please. Texas only wishes that they could exile one person a year like Athens did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

In the interest of fairness, God Emperor Reagan did a lot of things the current crop of psychos would considering disgustingly liberal. But yeah good god did he have some disastrous policies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Let's not forget that through the power of Astrology, he and Nancy bent the stars and the Zodiac to their will to astrally force Gorbachev to dissolve the USSR.

"The Moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter's aligned with Mars...let's go to Reykjavik, Mommy."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 27, 2015

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Every new segment I watch I'm guaranteed to learn some way in which America is completely hosed up that I didn't know before.

Also I totally remember that goddam Muppet Babies clip. We go on weekly adventures fueled by the power of our imagination! Oh, and here's a vision of your drug-riddled carcass, kid.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 28, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SlothfulCobra posted:

Look, the man was a reprehensible human being who managed to drive the country into a pit of spite and despair, but there's nothing wrong with keeping a bowl of jelly beans around at all times.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

And yet we still had a much, much higher capital gains tax rate under him then we do now. Even with his moronic trickle down ideas the top 1% tax rates were still way loving higher then they are now.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Too loving many. Show this clip to everyone you know.

This is one of the greatest injustices we see from our "Justice System" today. A part of me insists it's due to our godawful for-profit, crammed and monetized prisons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pentyne posted:

And yet we still had a much, much higher capital gains tax rate under him then we do now. Even with his moronic trickle down ideas the top 1% tax rates were still way loving higher then they are now.

Reagan would catastrophically fail any kind of ideological purity test current republicans would give, that is both hilarious and terrifying. And people would do well to take notice of that fact.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gnome de plume posted:

Also I totally remember that goddam Muppet Babies clip. We go on weekly adventures fueled by the power of our imagination! Oh, and here's a vision of your drug-riddled carcass, kid.

Is that an actual Muppet Babies episode or is it a weird PSA/advertising campaign that the Muppet Babies appeared in?

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

xcore posted:

Is that an actual Muppet Babies episode or is it a weird PSA/advertising campaign that the Muppet Babies appeared in?

It was a special called Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue and it featured further intervention cameos by Alf and Papa Smurf and Winnie the Pooh.

It was a formative moment of my childhood. I think that's when I first understood what pandering was.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

xcore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzKx92QD8Hk

Here's the whole thing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

Please. Texas only wishes that they could exile one person a year like Athens did.

I remember reading articles about some parts of... Florida, I think? where registered sex offenders are basically legally required to live under a bridge because everywhere else is an exclusion zone for them.

There was also some other deep South state where the state constitution forbids exiling someone from the state, so they instead sentence some people to be banned from every county except for the poorest and least hospitable county in the state.

IRQ posted:

Reagan would catastrophically fail any kind of ideological purity test current republicans would give, that is both hilarious and terrifying. And people would do well to take notice of that fact.

Yeah, I think Reagan was once quoted as saying it's totally loving absurd to seek tax cuts for carried interest.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember reading articles about some parts of... Florida, I think? where registered sex offenders are basically legally required to live under a bridge because everywhere else is an exclusion zone for them.

There was also some other deep South state where the state constitution forbids exiling someone from the state, so they instead sentence some people to be banned from every county except for the poorest and least hospitable county in the state.

Yeah, I think Reagan was once quoted as saying it's totally loving absurd to seek tax cuts for carried interest.

It was an issue in Miami, where the only place a sex offender could legally be in Miami Dade county was under the Julia Tuttle causeway, but that problem was remedied years ago.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems like basically anything based on "tough on crime" rhetoric has been proven to just make things worse, yet if you even think about trying to fix some of it you get nutjobs accusing you of being soft on crime and crazy attack ads like the ones from the elected judges segment a while ago.

It does seem like there's been at least some turnaround on mandatory minimums, but the fact that the new laws haven't been applied retroactively is pretty lovely. Hell if anything that should be a universal aspect of the justice system; if the sentencing laws change, people sentenced under the old laws should at least be granted a hearing with a judge. It makes absolutely no sense that people continue to serve full sentences for crimes that don't carry those sentences anymore.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Personally experiencing what it's like to have so little food when I was growing up, the food waste segment had a great impact on me. I always feel guilty when I cannot finish my meal when eating at a restaurant because the serving size is more than I can handle. At home, I just use the expiry date as guide.

It's also kinda saddening that that segment did not generate a lot of discussion here unlike that gamergate thing or that lady who does not agree with parental benefits. I don't believe that food waste is less of an issue as any other topics the show has talked about.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It seems like basically anything based on "tough on crime" rhetoric has been proven to just make things worse, yet if you even think about trying to fix some of it you get nutjobs accusing you of being soft on crime and crazy attack ads like the ones from the elected judges segment a while ago.

For a while they went after children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidALyBwat0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It seems like basically anything based on "tough on crime" rhetoric has been proven to just make things worse,

Above: How mandatory minimums "just makes things worse."

• Locked thread