Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

CrushedWill posted:

As bad as the game is, I might fire it up when I'm done studying in November. Assuming the game lasts that long.

Well they have plans up until next June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

You'd be surprised

This game runs lovely no matter what your using.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Tuskin38 posted:

Well they have plans up until next June.

Having plans really doesn't amount to much with the dynamic duo of pwe/cryptic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

Seriously, the summer event was a slideshow.

That's due to bort's lovely anti-covershield code, though.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

CrushedWill posted:

Having plans really doesn't amount to much with the dynamic duo of pwe/cryptic.

Don't kid yourselves. With an IP like Star Trek you could make the gameplay literally crawling across a turd and people would still play it. Heck, they'd crowd to the zen store to buy various insects to fly around their very own turd.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I stopped playing a year ago but I visit this thread daily just for the Xean poo poo. I also miss Lake, he was another basket full of sperg.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

That's due to bort's lovely anti-covershield code, though.
STFs become a slideshow too if more than one player actually uses all their abilities. I've got an overclocked 980 and an overclocked 2500k, the game just runs like poo poo.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Don't kid yourselves. With an IP like Star Trek you could make the gameplay literally crawling across a turd and people would still play it. Heck, they'd crowd to the zen store to buy various insects to fly around their very own turd.

Not sure if it exactly the same sitch, but I was a very active SWG player (got my pre publish 10 Jedi after grinding 26 master professions). SOE rode that IP into the ground at least until EA started riding it into the ground.

The game could be Turdquest but I would think that low numbers and potential fear about brand damage would have IP holders looking carefully.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

STFs become a slideshow too if more than one player actually uses all their abilities. I've got an overclocked 980 and an overclocked 2500k, the game just runs like poo poo.
The amazing thing is that it's gotten worse over time too rather than better. It's pretty obvious that the server code behind the scene is well past its limits, and worse, that the remaining dev team is too incompetent to solve it. :psyduck:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also tried doing Broken Circle on my romtac just to make sure I get the title and other timed reward crap since I didn't feel like bothering missed doing so with the past few FEs. First time through I got to the final fight only to have NPCs fall through the floor and render it unwinnable. Second time through I manage to successfully complete everything... only to get no credit for doing so and it dropping me back at the first space combat map again, with no hint of whether it would ever actually work in the future.

The development team for this game is literally useless and I am seriously tempted to just up and quit. I've had more fun loving around with 12x XP leveling in Old Republic the past week or two than I've managed in STO since Delta Rising. If there was some promise and actual slow improvement then that would be one thing, but... :geno:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, yeah, first time I played broken circle an enemy I had to kill got stuck in the walk and I couldn't target it, and I eventually managed to kill it with ten minutes straight of manual AOE nearby. And then I got the 'no credit, back to start of space fight' bug. Huzzah! Someone said it was a known race condition bug.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
If you're doing that Broken Circle mission, bring a few engineers with quantum mortar. It's a poo poo slow ability most of the time and I don't usually have it active on my own boffs. But if an npc enemy is stuck in a wall or console, like what's happened every time I've ran that broken crap, the quantum mortars can still kill it so you can complete the mission.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

CappyBottoms posted:

I stopped playing a year ago but I visit this thread daily just for the Xean poo poo. I also miss Lake, he was another basket full of sperg.

Lake has gone into full hiding mode, going anon, putting as many Dentals on ignore as possible. I still see his name pop up from time to time when he gets a lockbox ship, but I think he's sufficiently paranoid for the time being, especially after his gofundme scam was exposed.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

the STO team is having another Panel at ST:LV this year

Hopefully they don't wait a month to officially announce what ever they show there like they did last year with DR.

They're probably going to show what they have planned for Season 11

quote:

It’s almost time for the Star Trek Las Vegas convention, Captains!

The Star Trek Online team will be hosting a very special panel where we take you on a journey through the ideation, creation, and implementation of the Star Trek universe from a classic series to a masterful, digital experience. You’ll find this panel at 6:15pm PDT on Friday, August 7th at the Leonard Nimoy Theater.

Join executive producer Stephen Ricossa, lead designer Al Rivera, and lead artist Samuel Wall as they showcase the development of Star Trek Online and beyond. Holly Amos, professional trekspert from CBS and journalist for Nerd Reactor will lead the panel as the team discusses how far Star Trek Online has come. Learn more about the finale of the Iconian War with our team of developers as well as what’s to come. We will even have celebrity appearances from Aron Eisenberg who played Nog in Deep Space 9!

After the panel, you’ll have a chance to join our developers at the iBar down the hall from the convention in the Rio Hotel for a special Meet the Devs. Come and chat with not only our developers, but Star Trek Online podcasters and other Captains like yourself!

Stay tuned to our news page for all the exciting information coming your way! We’ll see you at Vegas, Captains!

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 22, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Someone needs to go, then ask Al Rivera what his take is on the uptick of logins following Gozer's departure, and the downtick of logins that preceded it. Feel free to ask a supplementary about the present weekly concurrent login numbers.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
IMO it's too soon for this trash to present in the Leonard Nimoy theater. He was a great actor and a good guy. He deserves better.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

IMO it's too soon for this trash to present in the Leonard Nimoy theater. He was a great actor and a good guy. He deserves better.

We could go there and celebrate his life...

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Anyone have an unbound one of these guys:

Sell it to me and I'll make you space rich (middle class)

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

DonDoodles posted:

Lake has gone into full hiding mode, going anon, putting as many Dentals on ignore as possible. I still see his name pop up from time to time when he gets a lockbox ship, but I think he's sufficiently paranoid for the time being, especially after his gofundme scam was exposed.

You are doing the Lord's work. Never stop.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

DonDoodles posted:

How have I never heard of this? drat, I really need to pay attention to STO politics.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
So a couple of my friends have convinced me to play this, I haven't played it since it become free to play. Is there anything I should do at the start to get a leg up?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Uninstall it

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

The only way to win is not to play.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

BombermanX posted:

How have I never heard of this? drat, I really need to pay attention to STO politics.

He was caught trying to sell lockbox ships for real money and went full sperg after being called out for it. Just standing near him or mentioning real money transactions will enrage him. He'll then spam zone chat with insults and insane ramblings for hours. He also had a gofundme started trying to convince people to give him thousands of dollars so he could go to truck driving school. After being called out yet again, he brought in one of his friends who more or less admitted it was just a way for him to make some extra money and accused us of tampering with his means of income (RMT and gofundme scams).

Friend's name is Tamujiin, I believe.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Always keep http://i.imgur.com/obtu8uo.png handy, too.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Horsebanger posted:

So a couple of my friends have convinced me to play this,

Stop hanging out with those people, they aren't your friends

Edit: I came back to help fill the new projects and see what's new, the 6 left playing are taking care of the projects fine and since I didn't complete the tutorial or some bullshit the alt I made during delta recruits didn't count so gently caress you sto, reclaiming that 40gb on my ssd.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 23, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Horsebanger posted:

So a couple of my friends have convinced me to play this, I haven't played it since it become free to play. Is there anything I should do at the start to get a leg up?

They aren't your friends.

They are leading you down a long slow KMMO-like grind of disappointment along a pisswater yellow road that doesn't lead to the Emerald City because its a mobius loop of bitterness and failure.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah you should go play Archeage with your friends, I hear there's a fishing pact you can get in on. Downside is it wasn't even in America.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hey who was that guy who died in the goating accident from way back

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
That same player, Rahmi, that asked for a screenshot selfie awhile back sent me this yesterday.

And the original screenshot, which was posted on Rahmi's facebook, attracted a familiar face:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

That same player, Rahmi, that asked for a screenshot selfie awhile back sent me this yesterday.

And the original screenshot, which was posted on Rahmi's facebook, attracted a familiar face:

What a nice person.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Calling it now: Complete cultural victory a week before the closing date for the server is announced.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

DonDoodles posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I need to follow Treavor on facebook.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJOahtNKJU

Jeeze, the Neverwinter "Guild Strongholds" seem better then what we got in STO for fleets.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

IPCRESS posted:

Calling it now: Complete cultural victory a week before the closing date for the server is announced.

We're going to have to rearrange our artifacts and great works a bit to maximize tourism if we're going for that. We went Order. Everyone else went Freedom.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tuskin38 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJOahtNKJU

Jeeze, the Neverwinter "Guild Strongholds" seem better then what we got in STO for fleets.

Neverwinter's always gotten the polished programming while STO gets the dregs. It's the Cryptic golden child project, despite STO being the moneymaker.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Obviously you've never played Neverwinter. It's exactly as poo poo and probably even worse since they keep getting the same unfixed poo poo STO has had for years and some more on top of it. Like that one dungeon that would literally melt your GPU if you went in there with shadows on.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Neverwinter's always gotten the polished programming while STO gets the dregs. It's the Cryptic golden child project, despite STO being the moneymaker.

LOL LOL LOL "polished programming" LOL

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

I want STO to get Neverwinter's foundry.

Also new reward for this week's run of Broken Circle

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9459193-star-trek-online%3A-broken-circle-now-live

quote:

The Reactive Armor Catalysts Pack contains 5 Reactive Armor Catalysts, which are a new consumable ship device. On use, the catalysts provide an emergency boost to your hull integrity, repairing hull damage while providing a layer of temporary hit points to absorb damage. Reactive Armor Catalysts share a recharge time with starship batteries, and benefit from the starship batteries and starship hull repair skills. Opening the pack for the first time will unlock the ability to craft additional catalysts via an Engineering R&D task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I never use the consumable items for my starships as it is. Does anyone actually use things like Engine Batteries or am I just missing out?

• Locked thread