Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Black Wombat posted:

The Leeches ability also has a 50% chance to remove a disease, so you could reasonably expect to cure the whole rest of the party! I don't know if Leeches does all diseases or one, but either way, handy.

If everyone has Pep Talk or other stress reducers, and you bring enough food for feasting, you can even have a net Stress loss while you do it.

It's... Really kinda dumb.

Think of it as a team building camping trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Black Wombat posted:

The Leeches ability also has a 50% chance to remove a disease, so you could reasonably expect to cure the whole rest of the party! I don't know if Leeches does all diseases or one, but either way, handy.

If everyone has Pep Talk or other stress reducers, and you bring enough food for feasting, you can even have a net Stress loss while you do it.

It's... Really kinda dumb.

Previous to the latest updates I'd never have a single bar of stress on any of my characters ever, they'd always come out a dungeon totally stress free due to camp bonuses and in-combat reductions. Now the game is all hard and poo poo again :(

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

I dont know posted:

But they get a little stressed telling each other ghost stories before bed. While injecting each other with concoctions and covering themselves with leeches...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

But they get a little stressed telling each other ghost stories before bed. While injecting each other with concoctions and covering themselves with leeches...

Who are you to judge how team building exercises in the Middle Ages were like??

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I dont know posted:

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Really it's just the Plague Doctor convincing three rubes to join her in some experiments because they're ill and the sanitarium is an even worse option. They're stressed when they return because of what happened to them, she's stressed because she's nuts. And also the best.

They have to leave the hamlet to do it because civilized folk are horrified by what she does.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Artificer posted:

Who are you to judge how team building exercises in the Middle Ages were like??

It's like a trust fall but instead of someone's arms it's piles of leeches and syringes of dubious sanitation.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

I dont know posted:

A nice hike through the weald, a few trust-building exercises with your co-workers, having the nice lady in the bird mask give you a physical, campfire stories and cocoa.

And then you wake up with bulldog-sized maggots wriggling through the campsite seeking your tender flesh...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Crasical posted:

A nice hike through the weald, a few trust-building exercises with your co-workers, having the nice lady in the bird mask give you a physical, campfire stories and cocoa.

And then you wake up with bulldog-sized maggots wriggling through the campsite seeking your tender flesh...

You should be able to capture monsters and make them into pets

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Everyone at the tavern is just crowding around the houndmaster and fawning over his dog, while the increasingly jealous Plague doctor tries to win over some of the crowd. "Look, I have a pet too!" she cries as she holds up Grubby the six pound mutant maggot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Crasical posted:

Everyone at the tavern is just crowding around the houndmaster and fawning over his dog, while the increasingly jealous Plague doctor tries to win over some of the crowd. "Look, I have a pet too!" she cries as she holds up Grubby the six pound mutant maggot.

it would work tho

the occultist would pay attention

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I keep wanting to try out a PD but after 10 weeks with a maxed out wagon, no doc's showing up. Just reams and reams of hound masters and man at arms and every other class I already have multiples of.

The good news is that I found a solution to my barracks problem, managed to get a lot of my favourite characters killed trying to fight that canon. Any canon tips? I'd just try to kill the guy who fires it off asap so the canon can never fire, then stun everyone else or kill them quick and work on the canon. But it's insane damage reduction means I'm doing 1-3 damage to it per round, while these bandits keep slowly wearing the party down. I just barely managed to beat the first level one, but the level 2 cannon boss is just kicking my rear end.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I just focus on murdering all the bandits. The cannon only pops out 1-2 bandits per turn, so if you wipe them out you only have to deal with 2-3 targets instead of 4. It takes a while since a lot of your attacks go to bandits instead of the cannon, but they rarely get any attacks off so it doesn't matter.

Also, you get a loot roll for every bandit individually so you wind up with a hilariously large, window-breaking pile of treasure at the end.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Coolguye posted:

it would work tho

the occultist would pay attention

...why the occultist specifically?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Cannon is an endurance fight. Keeping it from firing more than once is an absolute must, and having a good balance of area damage and hard hitting single target skills is pretty much required. I beat it by cheesing Riposte + dodge camp skills with 4 MaAs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Azran posted:

The Cannon is an endurance fight. Keeping it from firing more than once is an absolute must, and having a good balance of area damage and hard hitting single target skills is pretty much required. I beat it by cheesing Riposte + dodge camp skills with 4 MaAs.

I hosed up and let it fire 3 times in a row. All 3 were misfires (which reduce party wide stress!!). I still had to retreat though.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Any canon tips?

Just pray that you get good rolls, it is an endurance battle so you just gotta keep going and have faith.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
houndmaster has a protection debuff, so maybe consider bringing him. maybe. i dunno how useful that move is in the long run.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Houndmaster prot debuff + doggy biscuit is incredible vs bosses and I highly recommend. I'll probably bring plague doctor along next time to add a further multiplier and see how it goes. He can hit any position and is good against basically every boss.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What a waste. I sent a Jester, Occultist, PD, and Crusader into a Long, Champion-level Weald thinking they were a well-balanced team.

Turns out they were. They just didn't excel enough in any area to be at all effective.

Jester died. Retreated after like the fourth battle. I blame a few unlucky crits, but man, that sucked.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Crasical posted:

...why the occultist specifically?

he's a professor

he'd want to study it

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Baronjutter posted:

Any canon tips?
Do not truste the Occultist. he is a vessel for Evil most Dire

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Time_pants posted:

What a waste. I sent a Jester, Occultist, PD, and Crusader into a Long, Champion-level Weald thinking they were a well-balanced team.

Turns out they were. They just didn't excel enough in any area to be at all effective.

Jester died. Retreated after like the fourth battle. I blame a few unlucky crits, but man, that sucked.

Same here. Thought it would be a good mix of stuns, movement, buffs, and crowd control. Nope! DPS is way too anemic.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Vestal/PD/Dogman/Crusader is a fun combo, at least at my low level. Everyone can do damage, everyone has heals/buffs for endurance fights, and between Vestal stun and Crusader guards the light tends to be really high. Throw in Cry Havoc and you can cheese a fight with a single weak dude by healing health and stress for a couple turns for free.

Edit: I can see Houndmaster being really good just because of the buff to, uh, buffs. Dodge is better than prot because dodging also dodges all secondary effects, so guarding every turn eventually makes him a ridiculous dodge tank. I want a class that can mark other people in your party, like a targeted reverse Crusader guard.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 24, 2015

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
Tried playing triple Grave Robber for the first time since two patches ago. Got totally rolled on the first battle and had to abandon the mission. It was a group of like one fat skeleton and two noble skeletons. I got rid of the first noble pretty quick with Lunges but the second noble I couldn't get to cause the corpse was in the way and I didn't have any moves that clear corpses. Maybe I should have just wasted a couple turns getting rid of the corpse but I figured if I kept lunging I could get rid of the fat skeleton relatively quick. Nope. No one died but everyone was below half health and over 70 stress by the end of the battle so I just called it.

Tried another run with triple Bounty Hunter + Occultist, that team actually still seems pretty solid. I think it would have gone better if one of the Bounty Hunters was a Highwayman though. I didn't have too much trouble with most groups I came across, but there was one fight against four dogs where I really wished I had some AOE.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jackard posted:

Do not truste the Occultist. he is a vessel for Evil most Dire

I see what you did there

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

may contain peanuts posted:

I think it would have gone better if one of the Bounty Hunters was a Highwayman though.

This is true of all parties and all classes.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is true of all parties and all classes.
OMW to make a 4 Highwayman team

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

may contain peanuts posted:

OMW to make a 4 Highwayman team

Every round, someone will get shot right in the face and three dudes will get blasted by shrapnel. The ratio between the two certainties is known as the "Dismas Ratio".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my level 6 pre-patch dream team is dwindling down to just a few members now. Did the highest level dungeons get beefed up or something? They used to be a cake-walk but I find my self having to call the whole thing off sometimes after the first fight. I lost someone and had everyone at about 50% stress and 10-20% health after a loving hallway run-in with 3 maggots.

My level 0-2 team is doing well and has a good thing going, my mid-level pick-up team has been doing ok. But my stable of level 6's is getting picked off every time I try to do the most simple run. It's like they just aren't doing any damage, every other attack is a miss or is blocked, every stun resisted. On the flip side, the enemy seems to crit about 30% of the time. Those loving maggots got criticals on about 90% of their attacks. Is this just really really bad luck and I should stick with it, or am I doing something wrong? It's as if they've never had their equipment upgraded.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lots of enemies got huge protection values dumped on them that scale aggressively with level, so low damage characters really struggle to contribute. DOTs help, but most DOTs are pretty weak. You need a high damage output to deal with champion level dungeons and a lot of classes struggle with that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gabriel Pope posted:

Lots of enemies got huge protection values dumped on them that scale aggressively with level, so low damage characters really struggle to contribute. DOTs help, but most DOTs are pretty weak. You need a high damage output to deal with champion level dungeons and a lot of classes struggle with that.

I don't know what can be more high damage than a Hellion and Crusader both with trinkets that improve their crits/damage, a highwayman stabbing the bleeding the gently caress out of everyone, and a [cleric] in the back healing, stunning, and generally being utility with ok damage output. They're all level 6's and used to chew through bosses. Now they're getting sent running home from 3 maggots in the first hallway.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know what can be more high damage than a Hellion and Crusader both with trinkets that improve their crits/damage, a highwayman stabbing the bleeding the gently caress out of everyone, and a [cleric] in the back healing, stunning, and generally being utility with ok damage output. They're all level 6's and used to chew through bosses. Now they're getting sent running home from 3 maggots in the first hallway.

Yeah, Champion-teir maggots now have higher Prot than literally any enemy did before this patch, including, I think, bosses. They also have high Bleed and Blight resist. I really don't know what you're supposed to do other than have them crawl all over you and slowly attrition-race them down.

Also, a ton of artifacts got changed. Make sure the things you have equipped still do what you think they do.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I lowered maggot prot to 20/40/60. Speedy stun/DoT enemies are lovely to fight against, and maggots getting buffed for seemingly no reason when they were attrition threats before was a lovely move. It would be like if they made the dogs in the Weald always hit and always bleed because something something the game is supposed to be difficult. I figure 60% at the highest rank is still enough of a buff to make them take two or three hits, but having to cut through 40% prot with rank 0-1 dudes that are permanently stunned, hurt, and stressed (and diseased apparently now?) is bullshit and I choose to just, you know, not do that.

Edit: another possible edit would be to drop their speed to 0 to make them the Tonberries of DD. If you don't clear them out first round you're in trouble, but it's still pretty fair.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I think either prot needs to get adjusted down or enemy damage on crit needs adjusted down. If the designers don't agree I'll just make the edits myself too!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I think either prot needs to get adjusted down or enemy damage on crit needs adjusted down. If the designers don't agree I'll just make the edits myself too!

I've started doing some 'balancing" my self! It's easy to change weapon damage and resistances, but if say I wanted to increase the amount of bleed an attack does how do I do that? In bleed related skills it has the "effect" of "Bleed 1". Is "bleed 1" a defined effect that is defined somewhere else, or is it as simple as saying it's doing 1 pt of bleed damage? If a character has a skill that levels from bleed 1 to bleed 5 could I just bump all the numbers up by 1 to boost the ability, or do I have to do something else?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They've been pretty good about balancing poo poo out, I'm sure the next balance pass will target the stuff like ridiculously high prot enemies in late game and such.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I've started doing some 'balancing" my self! It's easy to change weapon damage and resistances, but if say I wanted to increase the amount of bleed an attack does how do I do that? In bleed related skills it has the "effect" of "Bleed 1". Is "bleed 1" a defined effect that is defined somewhere else, or is it as simple as saying it's doing 1 pt of bleed damage? If a character has a skill that levels from bleed 1 to bleed 5 could I just bump all the numbers up by 1 to boost the ability, or do I have to do something else?

"Bleed 1" is a defined effect, go to scripts->effects.darkest in order to get at those values.

By default the files define "Minor Bleed 1/2/3", "Bleed 1/2/3", "Strong Bleed 1/2/3", and various specialty things (e.g. the Occultist's heal has its own lower-risk bleed effect.) Changing one of those will change everything that uses that type of bleed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gabriel Pope posted:

"Bleed 1" is a defined effect, go to scripts->effects.darkest in order to get at those values.

By default the files define "Minor Bleed 1/2/3", "Bleed 1/2/3", "Strong Bleed 1/2/3", and various specialty things (e.g. the Occultist's heal has its own lower-risk bleed effect.) Changing one of those will change everything that uses that type of bleed.

So instead of boosting the values in the bleed effect, it might be better to say change someone having a minor bleed into a bleed or a bleed into a strong bleed?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Depends on what you want. If you want to increase bleed across the board you'd go into effects.darkest and change those values. If there's just one underpowered ability you want to tune up, that's when you'd go to that character and assign a stronger bleed effect to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

thebardyspoon posted:

They've been pretty good about balancing poo poo out, I'm sure the next balance pass will target the stuff like ridiculously high prot enemies in late game and such.

Yeah it's kind of a catch isn't it? There are usually weeks/months between patches so waiting sucks, but it's nice to be able to make the changes yourself. At the same time though those edits are probably undermining the whole feedback cycle that they wanted in early release.

I'm sure they realize this but it is an interesting thought. Then again I never provide direct feedback myself.