Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

IMJack posted:

How often do you use a Death card, anyway?

I don't like large rooms much and so I like anything that lets me potentially skip or otherwise cripple large rooms of annoying enemies. death card works pretty well or at least helps most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Vic Boss posted:

You mean Blue Baby and not The Lost, right?

It would be funny to have the Lost as a joke alt boss, though.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

IMJack posted:

Yeah, but the black heart swells on the screen when that happens. When Dry Baby or one of the Missing Pages procs, the Necronomicon swells.

Does the Negative also show the Necronomicon when its damage effect kicks in, or does it show a picture of the Negative, or do the enemies just take damage with no flashy closeup?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Codiekitty posted:

Does the Negative also show the Necronomicon when its damage effect kicks in, or does it show a picture of the Negative, or do the enemies just take damage with no flashy closeup?

I don't think anyone's picked up the negative in years so it's one of life's great mysteries.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Codiekitty posted:

It makes a sound effect (I don't think the same one) , but doesn't do anything visual.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Been challenging myself by doing Isaac speed runs. So far my best is 13:45 in game time from Start to Chest completion.

It's a fun way to play the game since you have to be pretty drat good at dodging and conserving HP as much as possible.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Has anyone ever noticed the game speeding up and getting stuck there? Twice in the last week it just up and decided to run at about 1.5x speed in the middle of a run and I have no idea why. It was kind of cool though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jibo posted:

Has anyone ever noticed the game speeding up and getting stuck there? Twice in the last week it just up and decided to run at about 1.5x speed in the middle of a run and I have no idea why. It was kind of cool though.

Broken watch will occasionally speed up enemies instead of slowing them down.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Crackbone posted:

Broken watch will occasionally speed up enemies instead of slowing them down.

Yeah this was the whole game and persistent through runs. I've never seen it happen before yesterday and I thought maybe it was something to do with the new version of Heretic Mod but I've switched over to God Mode and it happened there too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes it does so for a simple room. In that case it speeds up both enemy movement and my movement to crazy levels. Next room, everything is back to normal.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Just had an awesome Eden run:

PDQY
AJVK

Start with stopwatch and red candle. Too easy!

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Waffle! posted:

Just had an awesome Eden run:

PDQY
AJVK

Start with stopwatch and red candle. Too easy!

That doesn't sound very fun...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jibo posted:

Yeah this was the whole game and persistent through runs. I've never seen it happen before yesterday and I thought maybe it was something to do with the new version of Heretic Mod but I've switched over to God Mode and it happened there too.

A different game (but still in the same "family") but Super Meat Boy had a similar issue that was linked to resolution, whether the game was running in windowed mode, and possibly VSync. Because of the time sensitivity of many SMB maps, the slowdown/speedup would render specific levels unbeatable for some people.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Hey folks The Binding of isaac Rebirth is out on the New 3DS now! :toot:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pixeltendo posted:

Hey folks The Binding of isaac Rebirth is out on the New 3DS now! :toot:

And Wii U!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
When were we supposed to know more about an Afterbirth release date, again? I know it was tentatively "Summer 2015" and I seem to recall a honed estimate of "two more months" relatively recently, but I can't recall where I read that.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The last blog update mentioned that they had about two months of work left on it. Link here: http://bindingofisaac.com/post/124037931109/more-like-3d-yes-afterbirth-update-15

Also I figured out my speedup thing is related to going to a different program while I have the game paused. This definitely hasn't happened before and I can't seem to get it to happen consistently. I'm guessing something changed on my computer that's causing this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your computer unlocked The Virus while you were alt tabbed

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Finally took The Lost to the dark room and won! Wasn't too overpowered, just guppy, stopwatch, cricket's head, death's touch, infestation 2 and 9 lives :stare:

And to think I started out with Taurus and debated whether to scrap the run straight up.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Kifisonfire posted:

Wasn't too overpowered, just guppy, stopwatch, cricket's head, death's touch, infestation 2 and 9 lives

:golfclap:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Is there any good way to force an item so I can finally PG/RPG this game? I have literally everything done on PS4 sans touching these 7 items:
code:
1up
razor blade
guardian angel
stop watch
missing no
d4
It seems when I'm trying to force specific items I never see them and finding 1up/missing no are going to be pains considering their special room items. I did find out randomly last night that using a dice room or the d100 counts items as touched so I could potentially somehow spam that up for all but missing no/d4/razor blade.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

flyboi posted:

Is there any good way to force an item so I can finally PG/RPG this game? I have literally everything done on PS4 sans touching these 7 items:
code:
1up
razor blade
guardian angel
stop watch
missing no
d4
It seems when I'm trying to force specific items I never see them and finding 1up/missing no are going to be pains considering their special room items. I did find out randomly last night that using a dice room or the d100 counts items as touched so I could potentially somehow spam that up for all but missing no/d4/razor blade.

stop watch should be fairly common in the shop, missingno and 1up show up in secret rooms (only?), guardian angel is an angel room deal. razor blade and d4 are just plain items though.

I guess your best bet is to always play isaac (for rerolls), be willing to bomb the donation machine, do angel deals, and always try to get a fortune card into the chest, because blowing that up in the chest secret room pulls from the secret room item pool.

edit: Also, Real Platinum God is a trap that was laid to ensnare you and make you hate the game! Don't fall into it!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Unless I'm missing something here, the best way to get stuff like that is to just play as Isaac and reroll item rooms until you get what you want. The Stop Watch should be easy since it's only in the shop and that has a much more limited item pool. Guardian Angel will be a bitch and a half since it's only in the angel room pool to my knowledge.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

flyboi posted:

code:
1up
razor blade
guardian angel
stop watch
missing no
d4

1up and missing no. are secret room items. Find one with an item pedestal and keep rerolling it. I think you can force extra pedestals in the chest and have them all roll secret room pool but i'm not 100%. So blowing up judgements and slot machines or finding one with a key beggar.

razor blade is devil room. That seems to show up for me every run but maybe PC rates are different than PS4

Guardian angel is angel room, blow up the statue to get two rerolls a time.

Stop watch is only in the shop. As long as you've donated 999 coins just visit every shop, it's rare but not overly so.

D4 is common pool so you can get it anywhere. Just keep rerolling.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

New personal best for Isaac Chest finish speed run, 12 minutes flat in game time. :woop:

I should get one of those timer programs.

Speedrunning Isaac is pretty fun and challenging.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Probably the best and fastest broken run I've had, found a Starter deck, Perthro and Jera runes. I actually went too far and my tears just farted out from behind and couldn't actually hit anybody

Seed is HV0C W7HG

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Kuros posted:

I should get one of those timer programs.

Speedrunning Isaac is pretty fun and challenging.

I agree w/ this!
Here's the timer I use: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x6e6g8d0m5daa3q/WSplit_1.5.2.zip
The most important thing about an external timer is it lets you count your reset time against your run, so you're not incentivised to reset foreeever to get a top item.

Check out speedrunslive.com if you wanna try racing people, we've got a solid isaac community there with usually lots of races every day

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In The Binding of Isaac: God Mode, is Christopher supposed to start with items?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Hyphen-ated posted:

I agree w/ this!
Here's the timer I use: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x6e6g8d0m5daa3q/WSplit_1.5.2.zip
The most important thing about an external timer is it lets you count your reset time against your run, so you're not incentivised to reset foreeever to get a top item.

Check out speedrunslive.com if you wanna try racing people, we've got a solid isaac community there with usually lots of races every day

Thanks! I'll look into it.

As for top items, I'll usually take the run if I pull something decent like 20/20, Tech.5, or two Guppy parts. Doesn't always have to be quad shot or Poly. :)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ariong posted:

In The Binding of Isaac: God Mode, is Christopher supposed to start with items?

Yes. Epic Fetus, Isaac's Heart and something else that I can't remember. You have to unlock them first.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Kuros posted:

Thanks! I'll look into it.

As for top items, I'll usually take the run if I pull something decent like 20/20, Tech.5, or two Guppy parts. Doesn't always have to be quad shot or Poly. :)

20/20 and tech.5 are some of the best starts!

Here's a roughly accepted tier list of fastest starting items:

knife/ipecac/epic fetus
brimstone
2020/tech.5/proptosis/judas shadow/lil brim

There's a lot of varied opinions about how exactly to rank a bunch of other items like magic mush, cricket's head, cricket's body, chocolate milk, lung, scythes, quad, and poly, but those items are all definitely worse than the ones above.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
† post

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Hyphen-ated posted:

20/20 and tech.5 are some of the best starts!

Here's a roughly accepted tier list of fastest starting items:

knife/ipecac/epic fetus
brimstone
2020/tech.5/proptosis/judas shadow/lil brim

There's a lot of varied opinions about how exactly to rank a bunch of other items like magic mush, cricket's head, cricket's body, chocolate milk, lung, scythes, quad, and poly, but those items are all definitely worse than the ones above.

Honestly, I've been skipping Knife/ipecac/Epic as I find it a bit boring to use those.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Did you die with full hearts?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Did you die with full hearts?

It looks like he used the Bible on Satan, which instantly kills Isaac.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

It's finally done. I don't know whether to laugh or cry that the last trophies on PSN didn't pop in the game. Isn't there some upload/download trick to get it to pop the trophy?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

flyboi posted:

It's finally done. I don't know whether to laugh or cry that the last trophies on PSN didn't pop in the game. Isn't there some upload/download trick to get it to pop the trophy?

Yes. First try to just go into "Stats" then "Secrets" and see if they then pop.

If not, open BoI, sync your save (upload it), then quit the game. Delete the local copy of the save from "Saved Data Management" or whatever it's called on the PS4 (maybe upload to PS+ first if you can), then start BoI back up and sync your save but this time download it from the cloud. It should pop all the trophies.

If it still doesn't after that, now go into "Stats" then "Secrets" again, and that should do it.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Dr. Fetus posted:

It looks like he used the Bible on Satan, which instantly kills Isaac.

First heart kill on this file and first time I've ever been to Sheol...Azazel is bullsh_t anyways

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shmee posted:

Yes. First try to just go into "Stats" then "Secrets" and see if they then pop.

If not, open BoI, sync your save (upload it), then quit the game. Delete the local copy of the save from "Saved Data Management" or whatever it's called on the PS4 (maybe upload to PS+ first if you can), then start BoI back up and sync your save but this time download it from the cloud. It should pop all the trophies.

If it still doesn't after that, now go into "Stats" then "Secrets" again, and that should do it.

Yeah that doesn't seem to be working no matter how I upload/download the save. God damnit I loving hate this version. At least now I can play it on PC knowing I 100% it somewhere even if PSN is a bag of dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

flyboi posted:

Yeah that doesn't seem to be working no matter how I upload/download the save. God damnit I loving hate this version. At least now I can play it on PC knowing I 100% it somewhere even if PSN is a bag of dicks.

Do you have a Vita? If so you could always put BoI on that and then download your save. That's worked for me in the past.