Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Hi goon sirs, I just got back to this game and I just cleared WOF.

Do you guys actually play together? It's lonesome to play alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

An OP that keeps updated with goon servers would be nice. I tend to play alone because the friends I've played with before don't really feel it/didn't feel like doing a fresh start on expert.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I think I'm prepared to fight expert Plantera. I never fought him in normal so what's the best strategy against him? I got full Chlorophyte Armor, a Megashark, Optic Staff, some decent magic items like Harp and Rainbow Rod, and I can easily farm for other needed crap. Any pointers on what I should do/use?

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 23, 2015

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I don't understand how anyone could play this game on a server with random goons. Just gonna join up on a fresh character and welp, world's already in hard mode and there are chests full of endgame gear. Grab those outta there and game over, roll credits I guess.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Waffleopolis posted:

I think I'm prepared to fight expert Plantera. I never fought him in normal so what's the best strategy against him? I got full Chlorophyte Armor, a Megashark, Optic Staff, some decent magic items like Harp and Rainbow Rod, and I can easily farm for other needed crap. Any pointers on what I should do/use?
The best strategy I ever found for Plantera was just literally going in circles around it constantly as then its shots would never hit me unless I got caught on something as if you're moving it always aims at where you are, not where you're going. Strategically placed platforms would've made it easier but a combination of wings and grappling while leaving some of the area intact in the middle worked out just fine.

The way I beat it the first time involved constantly spinning it through a chunk of earth so that its shots get eaten by the terrain its in and I'd regenerate health, but I believe in Expert its shots go through terrain so just always be moving is a lot more attractive.

e: oh yeah phase 2 advice, basically what I did for Skeleton Prime or anything that just keeps coming at you, fly up as far as you can while shooting down, let it get closer then dash to the side and fall down and shoot. Wait at the bottom till it gets closer and dash to the side and jump up, repeat.

Metos fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 23, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is there any way to "share" a single world with other people through Steam Cloud or something? I've been playing with my girlfriend but she doesn't want to play as often as I do and we're working slightly different schedules at the moment, so it would be cool if she could gently caress around and build up the house while I'm at work, or I could explore to get materials when she's watching TV or whatever.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargs posted:

I don't understand how anyone could play this game on a server with random goons. Just gonna join up on a fresh character and welp, world's already in hard mode and there are chests full of endgame gear. Grab those outta there and game over, roll credits I guess.

Pretty much this. Oh I stopped playing for a day? Wow where did this chest full of moonlord gear come from?!!?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is there any way to "share" a single world with other people through Steam Cloud or something? I've been playing with my girlfriend but she doesn't want to play as often as I do and we're working slightly different schedules at the moment, so it would be cool if she could gently caress around and build up the house while I'm at work, or I could explore to get materials when she's watching TV or whatever.

Share an account maybe? I haven't looked into how the steam cloud for this works, but if what you can access is limited to your account, you should be able to make it work if you share the account.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
All I've been doing in this game is just mining marble biomes, it's just fascinating how much there can be in one world. The jungle, the caverns, just anywhere! I don't know why I keep mining this stuff, it's not like i'm ever going to need more of it, but it just feels so right to mine it all..

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

BillmasterCozb posted:

All I've been doing in this game is just mining marble biomes, it's just fascinating how much there can be in one world. The jungle, the caverns, just anywhere! I don't know why I keep mining this stuff, it's not like i'm ever going to need more of it, but it just feels so right to mine it all..

Removing marble biomes eliminates medusa spawns. That's enough reason right there.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Waffleopolis posted:

I think you've got what it takes. I only ever beat him for the first time two days ago and I had basically what you have, Chlorophyte Armor, Megashark, Optic Staff, and Golden Shower. He's vulnerable to the debuff from the Golden Shower so I spritz him with that every few seconds to keep him yellow, and just unload on him with the Megashark while traveling more or less in a circle around him. You want to dig out an arena in the Jungle a little bigger than your monitor so you have plenty of room to maneuver. If he gets you cornered you're dead, but as long as you have a way to keep your distance you'll do fine. I put three Heart Lanterns, Star Lanterns, and campfires at roughly the outside corners of my arena so I'm always covered by the regeneration buffs.

A lot of people recommend a full load of all the different buff potions you can get such as Ironskin, Regeneration, Move Speed, Archery and Magic Damage, but it seems to me like they've made Hardmode a LOT easier since I last played a year ago. I assume at some point before the Moon Lord or the seasonal events I'm going to have to buckle down and learn alchemy, but I haven't yet. If you don't already have the Golden Shower or some other way to inflict Ichor, I'd recommend you get that because it nearly doubles the DPS of all your other weapons, but aside from that you can take him.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 24, 2015

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You could "share" a map file using Dropbox or similar to sync the same file but it will be kinda janky and not work very well. If you have a PC or laptop that stays in your home you could just setup a server on it. It doesn't need to be running all the time, just run it when you want to play.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Vargs posted:

Isn't that a problem with pretty much any terraria server though? I don't think the game would be much fun if you started playing along with people that are, like, two or three tiers above or below you.

Still, if there was a larger online presence, some admin tools to control that stuff might be nice. Maybe a "no hardmode allowed" checkbox?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

Removing marble biomes eliminates medusa spawns. That's enough reason right there.

Yeah but smh if you don't just dynamite every marble biome. Too risky to mine gently caress you medusa

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Isn't that a problem with pretty much any terraria server though? I don't think the game would be much fun if you started playing along with people that are, like, two or three tiers above or below you.

Still, if there was a larger online presence, some admin tools to control that stuff might be nice. Maybe a "no hardmode allowed" checkbox?

Tshock does pretty much that.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Section Z posted:

I may stubbornly be deliberately avoiding fishing since I've never so much as seen hard mode personally before and want a semblance of "average" progression, but I'm glad workarounds are available for those who want them. So hearing those cut or dialed back, along with drops from the end boss are nerfed because they make fighting the end boss you got them from in the first place less balbusting is just :cripes:

I wish I knew how to do an "average" progression. I've been fairly studiously avoiding spoilers, and while the Eye Of Cthulhu fight was relatively difficult when I did it, I apparently had way too much armor, and my Yo-Yo of Death (whichever it is, I forget, I got it from some vendor) made the Brain of Cthulhu fight I just did ridiculously easy.

I'm also never sure whether I'm supposed to be exploring other biomes before smashing Crimson Hearts. E.g. am I supposed to be doing Crimson Hearts before Jungle Underground? Crimson Hearts before Dungeon? The mind boggles.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

quote:

I wish I knew how to do an "average" progression.

Surface -> Underground/Caverns -> Tier 1/2/3 Metal Armour -> Eye of Cthulu -> Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu -> (Pre-hardmode Jungle, possibly Sky Islands if you have Gravity Potions) -> Skeletron -> Dungeon -> Hell -> Wall of Flesh -> Hardmode starts -> Tier 4/5/6 Metal Armour -> Wings -> The Destroyer / Twins -> Skeletron Prime -> Hallow/Frost Armour -> Hardmode Jungle -> Plantera -> (Chlorophyte armour if magic or melee / Turtle Armour if melee) / (Shroomite Armour if ranged) -> Hardmode Dungeon -> (Spectre Armour if magic) -> Lihzard Temple -> (Beetle Armour if melee) -> Pumpkin Moon / Frost Moon / Duke Fishron -> Cultists -> Pillars -> End of game.

You can cut out / rearrange a lot of this, especially the earliest stuff. But this is more or less the "intended" route, off the top of my head.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah, which is why I think that any form of Terraria multiplayer that isn't "a few friends get together and always play at the same time unless they're just building stuff and not progressing" is crazy nonsense.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Read posted:

Surface -> Underground/Caverns -> Tier 1/2/3 Metal Armour -> Eye of Cthulu -> Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu -> (Pre-hardmode Jungle, possibly Sky Islands if you have Gravity Potions) -> Skeletron -> Dungeon -> Hell -> Wall of Flesh -> Hardmode starts -> Tier 4/5/6 Metal Armour -> Wings -> The Destroyer / Twins -> Skeletron Prime -> Hallow/Frost Armour -> Hardmode Jungle -> Plantera -> (Chlorophyte armour if magic or melee / Turtle Armour if melee) / (Shroomite Armour if ranged) -> Hardmode Dungeon -> (Spectre Armour if magic) -> Lihzard Temple -> (Beetle Armour if melee) -> Pumpkin Moon / Frost Moon / Duke Fishron -> Cultists -> Pillars -> End of game.

You can cut out / rearrange a lot of this, especially the earliest stuff. But this is more or less the "intended" route, off the top of my head.

Bless you kind sir.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Read posted:

I feel obliged to point out that Chlorophyte and Turtle Armor are actually available before Plantera, even if Shroomite isn't.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

On the bright side, you got one of his cool drops at the point where they're actually relevant.

Shadowflame dagger never stops being amazing for exploration under ground. A fast auto-firing throwing dagger that makes light? Even in my summoner setup I burn through hardmode jungle enemies with the thing. It's better than the hex doll magic even when I'm using magic gear.

Vargs posted:

In the multiplayer game I'm doing we only progress when we can all play. Though we do some buildup of the base or stockpiling resources or farming bullshit drops for Ankh Shield/PDA on the server on our own so that when we do play it's not an hour or two of someone fishing while the others harvest plants or add rooms for NPCs/storage/whatever.

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007
The Mac/Linux version is nearly ready for release according to the official forums!

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-for-mac-linux-in-development.197/page-10

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You could do some kind of dropbox or Google Drive thing with the world file itself, though that has its own kind of inconveniences.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Read posted:

Yeah, if you get lucky you can shoot ahead without intentionally skipping over parts of the progression. Like, I was running around in cactus armor with silver weapons, and in my cavern exploration I found a minecart track that ended in a nice big cavern in the Underground Jungle, so I wound up getting a jungle yoyo and a piece of Ancient Cobalt armor just from silver bow and flaming arrows, without even having 200 HP yet. Then the skeleton merchant spawned and I got me a counterweight, so my yoyo just absolutely wrecked the Eye when it finally showed up. Next stop: Corruption.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dareon posted:

Yeah, if you get lucky you can shoot ahead without intentionally skipping over parts of the progression. Like, I was running around in cactus armor with silver weapons, and in my cavern exploration I found a minecart track that ended in a nice big cavern in the Underground Jungle, so I wound up getting a jungle yoyo and a piece of Ancient Cobalt armor just from silver bow and flaming arrows, without even having 200 HP yet. Then the skeleton merchant spawned and I got me a counterweight, so my yoyo just absolutely wrecked the Eye when it finally showed up. Next stop: Corruption.

The best progression is:

Fishing > Top-end pre-hardmode gear > More fishing to save up crates > Trigger hardmode > Pop all your crates to get loads of the best ores instantly > ... and then it picks up at the normal place with the mech bosses

:v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I will never understand NPC AI.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Neither does the painter, it looks like.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey man. Mana potions, birds, and spiders. That's pretty much what it's all about.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That's a pretty funky dance, Dryad. Show me how you do it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blackheart posted:

Neither does the painter, it looks like.

Hell, looks like Dye Trader's even more confused. He's just standing there, and Wizard, Steampunker, and Dryad hop up next to him to boogie.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Mac and Linux open Beta is live: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-1-3-0-7-mac-linux-open-beta.27418/

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
!00 fishing quests and the angler still hasn't given me the bottomless bucket. I hate this little brat :mad:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

!00 fishing quests and the angler still hasn't given me the bottomless bucket. I hate this little brat :mad:

I just need the Sextant and the Fisherman's Pocket Guide for the Cell Phone, but he keeps giving me Weather Radios! :argh:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

I just need the Sextant and the Fisherman's Pocket Guide for the Cell Phone, but he keeps giving me Weather Radios! :argh:

This was the one piece I never got, my compadre on the server got an extra though. Four sextants, two pocket guides, 6 sponges, 7 bottomless buckets, 5 or 6 fish and mermaid costumes each ...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm trying to fish up an Aglet and I've gotten like 6 umbrellas. :mad:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I didn't get a pair of Hermes Boots until I was searching for Plantera's bulb. It was agonizing.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

President Ark posted:

I'm trying to fish up an Aglet and I've gotten like 6 umbrellas. :mad:

If you want an aglet, just create a bunch of worlds and loot the surface/shallow underground cave chests.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HellCopter posted:

I didn't get a pair of Hermes Boots until I was searching for Plantera's bulb. It was agonizing.

What about Flurry boots or Sailfish boots? They do the same thing.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Tenebrais posted:

What about Flurry boots or Sailfish boots? They do the same thing.

Nope, nothing. No matter how many worlds I created, I just couldn't find them. I had literally every other part of the Frostspark Boots except for these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

HellCopter posted:

Nope, nothing. No matter how many worlds I created, I just couldn't find them. I had literally every other part of the Frostspark Boots except for these.

Sailfish you get from crates you get by fishing, I think of it as the sort of failsafe in case the worldgen fucks you like that.

Fishing is OP everybody, you should be doing it