Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

puchu posted:

The poets and quants thing just requires a throwaway email registration to get spam. He just says if gpa is below 3.6 or gmat is below 700 or your employment history isn't blue chip that you won't get in to Harvard. Also if you're Indian or white and male you're hosed

Bummer, 2/3. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I see five criteria, sorry dude

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

I didn't say believe him. If what he said was gospel then no one bar black gay 750 gmat females with 1bil valued startups would get in. Instead we have goons getting in and we're all idiots so you'll have a shot.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I've had former students get into Harvard with anything from a 640 to a 770.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It is no secret that underrepresented races have better chance of getting into top schools (both business and law). That doesn't mean white males with non-perfect track records have no chance.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Right. I guess it would be helpful if there was a chart with an x of gpa and y of gmat with markers for umr. I've seen these for law schools and colleges but never b schools.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My school put a ton of interest in a personal interview and work experience; they didn't even require a GMAT.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Schools look at the whole picture. The better you look in some categories, the more leeway you have in the rest.

Case in point: I got into Oxford with a GPA equivalent of 2.5. While normally it would be a major red flag, my GMAT score of 770 was enough to convince the adcom that I could handle the program.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Ephemeron posted:

Schools look at the whole picture. The better you look in some categories, the more leeway you have in the rest.

Case in point: I got into Oxford with a GPA equivalent of 2.5. While normally it would be a major red flag, my GMAT score of 770 was enough to convince the adcom that I could handle the program.

I'm matriculating there this September. Do you recommend getting the textbooks or can I wing it with the library copies?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Congratulations! Grewal & Levy's Marketing, 4th Edition is worth getting in e-format, if only for convenience's sake.
Other than that, I haven't bought a single textbook and I've been doing OK so far. :unsmith:

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Bobby Digital posted:

I've had former students get into Harvard with anything from a 640 to a 770.

This is meaningless without talking about what else they had accomplished.

The top schools are very picky, and their official stats are artificially deflated by non-traditional applicants that have done some incredibly interesting things to the point where their GPA/GMAT doesn't matter. For example, Domonique Foxworth got into HBS with a 570 GMAT, but he was also the president of the NFLPA prior to attending.

I don't know anyone from a traditional/non-URM background that got into H/S/W with a GMAT below 740 - that, plus a GPA of 3.5 or so, seems to be their cutoff for "normal folks" (plus, of course, extracurricular involvement and blue-chip employers). Would be interested in hearing any contrasting examples that folks might have.

The other thing that seems to matter to these schools is maximizing opportunities. For example, if you graduated from a state school with crappy on-campus recruiting, but you still somehow managed to get into second- or third-tier strategy consulting, that is likely to be seen as much better than someone who went to Princeton for undergrad and did consulting at a non-MBB firm. The latter person raises the question of why they weren't able to get into MBB with all the advantages that their elite undergrad institution provided.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Congrats to everyone getting in to the top schools. I'm still trying to make a final decision about where to (attempt to) get my MBA. Top programs are a pipe dream with my academic background, so I'm realistic.

I posted earlier in this thread about my options:

Southern New Hampshire University, which I was going to at the time, is a bit pricey (for what it is at least) and has a slight degree mill reputation despite being a nonprofit university with an actual brick and mortar presence. Not a terrible school, but I can't see myself returning.

Salem State University, where I got my bachelors from. A regionally respected, (if totally anonymous nationally) university that is reasonably priced and local. I just finished a grad class there and it's pretty much the same as undergrad. This is where I will continue to go unless I find an alternative. I was accepted into Northeastern University's online MBA program but it's $75,000 to complete so forget that.

I've been looking into Penn State's World Campus, but I'm concerned whether the higher cost is worth it as well as the stigma about online degree programs. Penn State's program looks to be about $60k (I could have sworn it was less) and while it's more recognizable than Salem State, it's still not a top program. Since I live in Massachusetts, it will be quite obvious it's an online degree.
I've seen both sides of the online degree argument. On one hand, online degrees are being more accepted, and on the other the quality of education is seen as sub par and the classes too easy. I don't know if I want to tie the last degree I'll likely ever get, as well as a substantial amount of money, into something that may be questioned by potential employers.

It's basically bargain MBA at a local school vs online mid-ranked school. Any suggestions?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 3, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What do you guys recommend as a good starting point in thinking about my MBA essay topic that I will be required to complete before the October 2015 deadline? A website or book I can get into to think deeper into the essay questions I will be required to answer.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 29, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Since work will spot it 100% I've been looking into going into an MBA, and my mid-high level manager stepfather tells me "Pffff the GMAT is a breeze, just sign up and take it now, it's just glorified SAT"

Signed up for Tuesday to try and squeeze in a fall semester, took a practice test through the free official GMAT site thing, score of 510.

Whelp, hopefully I will do better on the real test with the essay.

E. Granted that score is just a practice and I admittedly rushed it a bit because I didn't expect it to take three hours, but man

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 23, 2015

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
The essay doesn't count to your score. Good luck, the concepts are simple but doing them fast takes practice.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

puchu posted:

The essay doesn't count to your score. Good luck, the concepts are simple but doing them fast takes practice.

drat, and writing is what I am good at, more than all that trig. I guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

A bit of a scorecard:

2.7 gpa from medium level state school in biochemistry
2 years work in industry, mostly as either a researcher or a tech service technician ("chemical troubleshooting") at a huge chemical manufacturer
Post MBA goals: team/lab lead and so on, until I can strike out on my own and entrepreneur it up
Some career extracurriculars and some before/early college

If I somehow could swing a 550-600 range GMAT score, do I stand any chance of getting into a regular state school? I know with my GPA there's no way that I can get into U of M, which is the big local power in Michigan, but I'm thinking either Michigan State or Central.

E. I should add that I will be working full time at my current job, and don't really have designs on going Hail Corporate and climbing that ladder; I am more doing this just for my own benefit and the fact that it will be free. That being said, I would rather go to the best school that is feasible for me.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 23, 2015

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
If you have rubbish gpa you kinda need a higher gmat to show that you aren't dumb but just hosed up a bit during undergrad. I googled MSU's average gmat score and their mean is 665 and median 680.

Also you've missed the deadline for fall 2015 entry. Ideally if your gpa isn't so great you will want to ace the gmat, meaning more time spent studying. I would delay taking the gmat, unless of course your work is paying for the test as well - then take it multiple times.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Oh you're looking for a part time MBA? Disregard what I said then, I have no idea how applicable my advice is for part time programmes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

puchu posted:

Oh you're looking for a part time MBA? Disregard what I said then, I have no idea how applicable my advice is for part time programmes.

It is still valid, though. Since I am already on the hook and it would charge me to cancel I think I'm just going to go in, take it, and if I mess up I can double back and take a lot more time studying.

Proving that I am not a total fuckup is the tough part after all. I was a dumbass in uni and since then have become a lot less spastic, but on paper it's pretty grim. Hopefully my work experience will count for something, but I'm going to try and pad myself all I can.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
You can delay the test though. It's up to you to weigh up the costs and consequences. No school cares if you take the test twice.

I failed two straight years of undergrad and graduated with a miserable gpa but I rose rapidly at work and got a good gmat. A resume that shows continued accomplishment and responsibility at work can really help.

e: how does your resume look?

puchu fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 23, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

puchu posted:

e: how does your resume look?

For my age (24) and education, not bad. Research at university with a couple papers published, one second name but obscure journal, hired into small biotech firm before I left uni, worked there a year before getting hired on as a contractor for a researcher in R&D with a huge chemical company (not naming names but it's The Big One in Europe, I am in NA), then getting my contract bought out early to go to a similar division as direct hire.

My grades are crap but given how easily I've gotten into these positions I'm probably Decent At Stuff. People seem to like me so references shouldn't be an issue, it's just the paperwork that sucks.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 23, 2015

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Yeah in that case it's just being explicit about what you deliver at work, times where you stepped up and led and all that sort of stuff you expect to see in a resume. Nail the GMAT too and those two combined will give you a fighting chance at some good schools.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If your employer is a well known local employer that has a relationship with the school, you probably don't need to dazzle admissions.
Lousy gpa, middling GMAT, but you are applying to a part time program and Boeing is paying for it? Welcome aboard! Still want a better GMAT score though

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hearing people talking about part time being different, is it just in your favor that you are working and going to school simultaneously? Or are the degrees actually different?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hearing people talking about part time being different, is it just in your favor that you are working and going to school simultaneously? Or are the degrees actually different?

Part time is different because it a huge money maker for the school. So they mostly just care that you aren't going to drag down classes or torpedo their averages. The standard for entry is generally a lot lower.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thoguh posted:

Part time is different because it a huge money maker for the school. So they mostly just care that you aren't going to drag down classes or torpedo their averages. The standard for entry is generally a lot lower.

I love low standards

Thanks for the advice, all you bizgoons

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
First round of deadlines for this MBA School is September 16th. When should I realistically have taken the GMAT by for them to receive the scores by their deadline? I want to push it as close to the deadline as possible so I can prepare more.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

You get the auto graded score instantly and most schools just ask for that and then for most you can provide official reports after deadline of after acceptance (at least in earlier rounds cuz they want to make sure they accept full amount so they are flexible)
Start and application profile at your schools and see what they say about official scores.

It should only take a couple weeks for official reports to come in

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I see, thank you. So how do I determine if I want to send the score or not or retake the test since it's close to the deadline for first round of applications?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Busy Bee posted:

I see, thank you. So how do I determine if I want to send the score or not or retake the test since it's close to the deadline for first round of applications?

Where do you feel you rate on a scale of 1 to baller?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thoguh posted:

That's not universally true. It used to be (pre-2008) that most part timers had their tuition paid for by corporate sponsors, but few people (in my class) did. On the other hand, we had a bunch of full timers from overseas who did.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
I currently work as a manager in the nonprofit sector and am considering getting an MBA to help me on a nonprofit career path. Does anybody have opinions on how helpful this would be or which b schools have good nonprofit/social sector programs?

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Angstronaut posted:

I currently work as a manager in the nonprofit sector and am considering getting an MBA to help me on a nonprofit career path. Does anybody have opinions on how helpful this would be or which b schools have good nonprofit/social sector programs?

Stanford, Harvard (both good at everything). Yale and Oxford are ranked highly for NFP stuff too. I'm sure there's a lot more schools I'm forgetting right now.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
Stanford and Harvard, of course, are always great if you can get in. I've heard good things about Yale, Duke, Oxford and Northwestern for nonprofit careers. My plan is to wait for a while to apply so that an upcoming promotion to Director of Operations can gel on my resume. I have an undergrad in Biology from a local state school class of '12 with a ~3.2 GPA, currently studying for the GMAT but not desperately (yet). I'll have a better idea of which tier to shoot for after I take the GMAT. I honestly have zero intention to leave the nonprofit sector, I love what I do.

I think an MBA would help me compete for executive positions at larger organizations. I could get there eventually with work experience, at least at smaller organizations. Is this reasonable? And will the nonprofit sector career path hurt, help or neither?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

From my little roadshow of New England MBA schools a lot of them understand, and try to show off, their career services and assistance in helping early to mid career professionals pivot to different industries or sectors or accelerate in the one they are in (but maybe at a different company)

Theoretically getting an MBA will help you learn the ins and outs of running a business, so if you want to learn that, then it should be applicable whether it's a manufacturing company or nonprofit.

In terms of getting in, I would imagine nonprofit would be a respected uniqueness in a prospective students portfolio

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Do universities rate certain parts of your GMAC higher than others? Or is it only the overall?

I ask because I just took it and had the following

Integrated reasoning: 6 (67th percentile)
Quantitative: 38 (40th percentile)
Verbal: 36 (80th percentile)

Total: 610 (63rd percentile)

So I did mediocre overall, bombed the maths and (relatively) aced the verbal. Am I going to be okay if I don't plan on going to Harvard, or do I need to retake it?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Do universities rate certain parts of your GMAC higher than others? Or is it only the overall?

I ask because I just took it and had the following

Integrated reasoning: 6 (67th percentile)
Quantitative: 38 (40th percentile)
Verbal: 36 (80th percentile)

Total: 610 (63rd percentile)

So I did mediocre overall, bombed the maths and (relatively) aced the verbal. Am I going to be okay if I don't plan on going to Harvard, or do I need to retake it?

The top schools usually don't like a big quant-verbal gap, but I'm not sure about lower-ranked schools.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bobby Digital posted:

The top schools usually don't like a big quant-verbal gap, but I'm not sure about lower-ranked schools.

Yeah, I had the same thing on my ACT. Great in English but dragged down by math. Which of course is why I became a chemist :negative:

Hopefully it will be enough. Trying to decide between universities, will likely depend on what has satellite classes nearby. I would rather not do online if possible. Or commit the taboo of going to my undergrad uni

E. Are online degrees looked down on or will no one even know you took it online?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 29, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
An MBA school I want to apply to has the following deadlines. It's not necessary a competetive program or a top ranked school.

Round 1: Sep. 21
Round 2: Nov. 15
Round 3: Jan. 11
Round 4: Apr. 14
Round 5: May 29

I don't think with my current job and school schedule that I will be able to finish everything by Round 1. Round 2 I can definitely manage. I heard a rumor that if you are not a top tier candidate to not send in your application in Round 1 because there will be more competition? I don't know whether to believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So, people here have been talking about how it is a bad idea to go to the university that you got your undergrad from because you end up exposed to the same people and ideas as undergrad and it is good to diversify.

However, what if you were never in a biz degree to begin with? I studied biochemistry. We had absolutely zero overlap with the business side of things, except maybe I sat at a library table with an undergrad once.

I am asking because I am struggling with perception issues of what I am going to be getting. My choices for doing part-time without having to quit my job and move across state is either going to my undergrad school or doing purely online courses from another one. I have no issue doing online courses, but I find I do better in classrooms than purely electronic classes. Is it all that bad to go back to the same school?

E. And again, sorry for all the dumb questions, I am trying to figure out this rat's nest of grad school from biased relations and the Internet so it is very confusing