Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Raku posted:

Part of the problem might be only rich people can afford to go to NFL games anymore. College games fill up even bigger stadiums with less amenities--but gently caress spending nfl money if you're going to have poo poo wifi and get scalped by billionaires.

This one is also about Dan Snyder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Chichevache posted:

Back in the good old days my grandfather watched football from a wooden bleacher, and he enjoyed it.

I would kill for a stadium that was just seats, bathrooms, and hotdog + beer vendors. The amount of poo poo that they cram into arenas nowadays is stupid, and it gets reflected in capital costs and ticket prices.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Raku posted:

Part of the problem might be only rich people can afford to go to NFL games anymore.

I went to two Cardinals game for $30 bux each last year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Zurreco posted:

I would kill for a stadium that was just seats, bathrooms, and hotdog + beer vendors. The amount of poo poo that they cram into arenas nowadays is stupid, and it gets reflected in capital costs and ticket prices.

This was my entire childhood at the old Stanford stadium. About 90 years in practically the same building. Just a bunch of remodels every couple decades. :allears:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Stadium

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't want to go swimming with a bunch of hot girls in bikinis and watch the game at the Jags stadium, I don't know. Go gently caress yourself?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
That sounds like you're going somewhere to hang out with hot chicks, instead of, you know, watching football?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Chichevache posted:

That sounds like you're going somewhere to hang out with hot chicks, instead of, you know, watching football?

Do both?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can do both at the same time. We have that technology.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Has SA left the denial stage of grief yet

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zurreco posted:

I don't get to a lot of sporting events, but I've been inside five NFL stadiums, three MLB stadiums, two hockey arenas, and two college football stadiums. Everything from mixed used nightmares like whatever Dolphins Stadium is currently called and Three Rivers to gleaming monuments to the hubris of man like Nats Park and Heinz Field to the titanic monstrosities that are Beaver Stadium and Neyland Stadium. I've sat in the peasant rabble of the deck above the upper deck to being able to put my feet up on the dugout roof or heckle players on the sideline and have them hear me. The club levels I've been on made me wonder why those people were even at the game in the first place. You can sit at a bar and watch the game literally anywhere. The only experience I haven't had in a stadium is sitting in a luxury box.

I don't need all the restaurants of the Mercedes Club or whatever it was called at FedEx or the elaborate model train scoreboard thing in the Norfolk Southern Club at Nats Park. The most fun I've ever had in a stadium was standing packed shoulder to shoulder in my 17 inches of allotted space on a cold metal bleacher in a light, freezing cold rain on a night in October in a college football stadium. All that other stuff is fluff for people that would rather be somewhere else. However, I require a pretzel guy too. Maybe nachos.

If you're doing both at the same time, you're doing neither very well :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

I don't get to a lot of sporting events, but I've been inside five NFL stadiums, three MLB stadiums, two hockey arenas, and two college football stadiums. Everything from mixed used nightmares like whatever Dolphins Stadium is currently called and Three Rivers to gleaming monuments to the hubris of man like Nats Park and Heinz Field to the titanic monstrosities that are Beaver Stadium and Neyland Stadium. I've sat in the peasant rabble of the deck above the upper deck to being able to put my feet up on the dugout roof or heckle players on the sideline and have them hear me. The club levels I've been on made me wonder why those people were even at the game in the first place. You can sit at a bar and watch the game literally anywhere. The only experience I haven't had in a stadium is sitting in a luxury box.

I don't need all the restaurants of the Mercedes Club or whatever it was called at FedEx or the elaborate model train scoreboard thing in the Norfolk Southern Club at Nats Park. The most fun I've ever had in a stadium was standing packed shoulder to shoulder in my 17 inches of allotted space on a cold metal bleacher in a light, freezing cold rain on a night in October in a college football stadium. All that other stuff is fluff for people that would rather be somewhere else. However, I require a pretzel guy too. Maybe nachos.

A good post.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

That's 187 million per team. Teams spend well over 200 million a year, so that amount only covers a substantial chunk of losses, with local and regional income covering the rest and then providing income.

Ah, team profits include the revenue sharing. I thought you were saying there was revenue sharing in additon to team profits.

Volkerball posted:

All but a handful of NFL teams aren't about business. Many of them are inherited as a symbol of pride for a family that has no other business ventures going on. For those that are sold, it's about having a toy to show your friends. So for these family run teams, there's just not enough profit to drop a billion on a stadium. You have to dig into reserves because you'll be taking huge losses, and if the team is your primary source of income, you're hosed. For the people who are looking to buy a team, if you spend 2 billion on the team and another billion or two on stadiums in your lifetime for like, 20 million a year profit, that's a loving stupid expensive toy that few can afford.

yeah, I appreciated it when texpayers subsidized my family's showoff pride toy. It would be frankly unthinkable for us to have to finance our own boasting.

If teams had to pay for their own stadiums they would not sell for $2B because the liability of stadium construction would be factored into the price, much like houses that will need a new roof in the next year sell for less than those that don't. Teams sell for so much in part because of their taxpayer windfalls.

If it's a really dumb investment to put $2B capital into an enterprise that yields a $20M/yr profit, then the answer is not that the government must therefore prop up that business, it is that the business is absurdly overvalued. Some rich assholes will take a bath if/when that externality-driven over-valuation is allowed to correct itself. That's a good thing, and lol at them for sinking their assets into a penis waving statement.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

A good post.

Sash! really is Cotton Hill.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Sash! posted:

so you're a packers fan right

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

If the Vikings owner had to pay for it himself he probably would end up deciding it didn't necessarily have to be a giant glass boat and gone with a cheaper design.

The state insisted that it be all weather. The team owners wanted an open stadium but couldn't get any state funding if they did.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TubeStank posted:

so you're a packers fan right

Steelers :colbert:

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

The state insisted that it be all weather. The team owners wanted an open stadium but couldn't get any state funding if they did.

They needed government funding because they had to build an expensive stadium so that they could get government funding?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The open stadium would have to be paid entirely by the Wilfs. If it was roofed they could get state assistance.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lol at believing that NFL teams only bring in a few million a year in profit.

If cities and such are gonna pay for stadium costs they should also get a proportional cut of the profits. None of this "it will increase local economic activity!" handwaving bullshit, a direct cut of the profits.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Brannock posted:

If cities and such are gonna pay for stadium costs they should also get a proportional cut of the profits. None of this "it will increase local economic activity!" handwaving bullshit, a direct cut of the profits.

:agreed: with both points.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

That is how the Braves had it arranged with ATL. Trouble is it affected how much money they could use to pay players. Baseball and luxury taxes are a different animal, though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/7/20/9006401/nfl-teams-revenue-tv-deal-7-billion

quote:

Since 1997, American taxpayers have contributed a total of $4.7 billion for NFL stadiums.

quote:

The NFL split a massive $7.24 billion in 2014 revenue with all 32 teams.

I'm going to take this opportunity to make some selective quotation, as it goes:

Volkerball posted:

Re: Stadium chat, it feels good to just say "Owners should pay for everything, they're rich," but it's naive. 19 NFL owners have less than $2b in total assets, not including the Packers. A stadium today costs about a billion. Many of these teams are inherited from men who got into football when it wasn't insanely expensive, and football teams aren't absurdly profitable. The average NFL team is worth $1.43b. So people having to liquidate their holdings and lose hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium isn't the exception to the rule, it's what would happen in most cases. You build the stadium, you lose hundreds of millions of dollars, and you don't own the team anymore. Who's going to do that? The reality is many, many teams would just do what Mark Davis ($500m in assets) is doing, and run lovely old stadiums into the ground because they can't get a deal done for anything better. Eventually, the team would be dissolved because there's no feasible way to build a stadium.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Force them to sell the team to some richer rear end in a top hat that has a billion to burn. Problemo solved. Don't teams alway have a bidding war when they go up for sale? I am not crying for any broke rear end NFL owner who can't afford to own a team.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Sash! posted:

you can get a primanti's sandwich and good beer at PNC Park without having to be in the ritzy seats, and if the hubris of man is a ball park that feels like 1950 inside, then may i die from my hamartia

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Primanti's is gross and for tourists; you go to Peppi's instead and get a Roethliburger.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

Primanti's is gross and for tourists; you go to Peppi's instead and get a Roethliburger.

I like Primanti's. I also like Sheetz, but I mean I can get that any time now.

Also Fries on Sandwiches are the bestest.

Also what's with our fair cities and big rear end slices of bread? Melt's Bar and Grilled uses the same type, but are a completely different brand of sandwich.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zen death robot posted:

How the gently caress did the Lions actually lose money?

They're the Lions. It is their nature to lose.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

zen death robot posted:

Easy, they didn't. If it's in some book as a loss, then it's an accounting gimmick.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don't know about mlb, but nfl profit shares ticket revenue on regular seats but not luxury boxes. So it's in the owners interest to build these monstrosities

Why the niners moved to santa clara is the same reason the Warriors want to move from the completely adequate oracle arena across the bay to san francisco. They want to be where the rich people are.

Really the only reason the pleb seats are there at all is you need sell out to get that sweet sweet tv revenue.

New stadiums aren't for you, they're for rich people. Let the rich people pay for them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If rich people paid for things they wouldn't be rich now would they? Rich people are good at getting other people to pay for things.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oracle Arena is 50 years old and was last renovated 20 years ago

Its not insane that they are looking to build a new arena

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

The Glumslinger posted:

Oracle Arena is 50 years old and was last renovated 20 years ago

Its not insane that they are looking to build a new arena

And it's completely privately financed and in an area I'd rather hang out before and/or after the gane

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Sash! posted:

lol no

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Once each game a stupid rich person must be randomly selected from a luxury box. This person will be fed to a hungry predator at halftime.

Congrats, you're welcome, I just solved the stadium conundrum. You don't have to build $2B luxury temples any more because nobody wants to be eaten by a crocodile.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Geez, they'll just transfer all their assets to a homeless guy, who then gets eaten, and his assets are left to the rich guy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

zen death robot posted:

They were still something like $200 million in debt from the purchase of Ford Field, so their expenses outweighed their income.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Volkerball posted:

You can do both at the same time. We have that technology.

I love the one guy off in the corner actually watching the game.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Where you want to be:

The dude in the cream shorts pees in the pool. Just look at his face.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Where you want to be:

The dude in the cream shorts pees in the pool. Just look at his face.

This is the one place we totally need that pee - indicating dye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is the one place we totally need that pee - indicating dye.

That poo poo isn't real

• Locked thread