Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Papercut posted:

Re: Windows 10 randomly deciding to uninstall video drivers

Who is dumber, MS or the person who decided to install Win10 on their work PC?

We have 2 win 10 machines, but both are air-gapped for testing. So far it's failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Papercut posted:

Re: Windows 10 randomly deciding to uninstall video drivers

Who is dumber, MS or the person who decided to install Win10 on their work PC?

that guy

pram
Jun 10, 2001
imagine that turd walking around his office showing people windows 10. hey check it out, yeah lol. its pretty cool. im a beta tester, heh no big de-*webex drops*

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

theultimo posted:

We have 2 win 10 machines, but both are air-gapped for testing. So far it's failed.

What's failing btw is backward compatibility, we use ie9 browser backend, Microsoft edge off a cliff does not support our webapps. One idea is to install Firefox and force disable edge, but it's still in the planning stages.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
peepee doodoo it is a bad operating system

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

pram posted:

imagine that turd walking around his office showing people windows 10. hey check it out, yeah lol. its pretty cool. im a beta tester, heh no big de-*webex drops*

I also enjoyed that thread trying to convince me that businesses would be stupid not to upgrade to Win10 during the first year.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

pram posted:

my friend keeps talking about how he wants to install windows 10

"it's not beta, it's basically out now"

he hasn't tried it but he knows he wants it for some reason

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Papercut posted:

I also enjoyed that thread trying to convince me that businesses would be stupid not to upgrade to Win10 during the first year.

It took a forced memo from the NSA to get us to upgrade the VA from XP to 7. I doubt 10 is ever coming, hell our forecast for transition would be at the earliest 2020.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

my friend keeps talking about how he wants to install windows 10

"it's not beta, it's basically out now"

he hasn't tried it but he knows he wants it for some reason

exciting life

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram posted:

theres probably 8 of these in my general vicinity

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

theultimo posted:

It took a forced memo from the NSA to get us to upgrade the VA from XP to 7. I doubt 10 is ever coming, hell our forecast for transition would be at the earliest 2020.

at least in that situation you'd be upgrading to windows 10.3 enterprise and (hopefully) be able to properly block updates

pram
Jun 10, 2001

univbee posted:

at least in that situation you'd be upgrading to windows 10.3 enterprise and (hopefully) be able to properly block updates

in 2020 you'll be installing Ubuntu Workstation Enterprise Edition because thats the year of linux on the desktop motherfucker

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

theultimo posted:

What's failing btw is backward compatibility, we use ie9 browser backend, Microsoft edge off a cliff does not support our webapps. One idea is to install Firefox and force disable edge, but it's still in the planning stages.

yeah i'm sure firefox is going to be totally compatible with all your ie-specific hacks that keep it from working on modern browsers (if it's an internal webapp, it's probably actually running in ie6 mode because ie knows that enterprise webapps are bad and automatically downgrades itself if it detects one)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah i'm sure firefox is going to be totally compatible with all your ie-specific hacks that keep it from working on modern browsers (if it's an internal webapp, it's probably actually running in ie6 mode because ie knows that enterprise webapps are bad and automatically downgrades itself if it detects one)

That is true, we have to force ie7 standards due to hacks.

We could try oldie installs in a sandbox, but right now we are in break it and identify faults mode.

Oh, Activcard is buggy on certs too, due to no ie support.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pram posted:

$1400 lmao

i want to spend macbook money on a laptop, but i would also like it to be a piece of poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

theultimo posted:

That is true, we have to force ie7 standards due to hacks.

We could try oldie installs in a sandbox, but right now we are in break it and identify faults mode.

Oh, Activcard is buggy on certs too, due to no ie support.

if it works in firefox, then just pull out all the "if ie { do dumb garbage hack thing }" statements in the code and it'll probably work fine in edge

theres a lot of dumb poo poo about edge, but it not working with your app that uses hacks that only work on a nine-year-old browser version isn't one of them

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

A good IDE is actually a bad thing, because a difficult development environment acts as a incompetency filter that gets rid of most bad coders before they ever manage to release a product.
This is why Windows has so many lovely enterprise business applications that barely work at all while OSX and Linux hardly have any.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

error1 posted:

A good IDE is actually a bad thing, because a difficult development environment acts as a incompetency filter that gets rid of most bad coders before they ever manage to release a product.
This is why Windows has so many lovely enterprise business applications that barely work at all while OSX and Linux hardly have any.

I think this is bullshit

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that is simply caused by windows developers being a self-selecting group. only a complete retard would develop for windows, ergo, vis a vis

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

pram posted:

that is simply caused by windows developers being a self-selecting group. only a complete retard would develop for windows, ergo, vis a vis

I just looked up the comments in one of our web apps:

// DONT USE IN PRODUCTION
100 lines of crucial backend code

Yup, I love 20 years of service coders who learned off of Amigas trying to code css.

We had a recurring loop in a main SQL filter that timed out, it was put in to "save server load" :lol:

theultimo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 23, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Confirmed flagship win pho 10 phones

Talkman (Lumia 950)
Matte White or black polycarbonate body
5.2 inch WQHD (1440x2560) OLED display
Snapdragon 808, 64-bit Hexa core
Iris scanner (infrared) for Windows Hello
3GB of RAM
32GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot
20MP PureView rear camera
5MP Wide-angle front facing camera
3000 mAh removable battery
Qi wireless charging with flip cover
USB Type-C

Cityman (Lumia 950 XL)
Matte White or black polycarbonate body
5.7 inch WQHD (1440x2560) OLED display
Snapdragon 810, 64-bit Octa core
Iris scanner (infrared) for Windows Hello
3GB of RAM
32GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot
20MP PureView rear camera with triple LED flash
1mm silver ring inside the circumference of the black camera pod
Aluminum side buttons
5MP Wide-angle front facing camera
3300 mAh removable battery
Qi wireless charging integrated
USB Type-C

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

deffo getting a talkman :cool:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

isn't the snapdragon 810 the one that burns you if you use it?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

program666 posted:

I have to use VS for work but I install console2 and git-bash to use vim. I tried a vim extension for VS but wasn't good enough. Also my work laptop is a piece of poo poo so the delay from intellisense while typing was unbearable. I do use it when I'm editing unfamiliar code for the intellisense but that's about it.

lol why are you using vim? you have to have mental disorder to consider using vim.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i use sublime and gcc

it's me i'm the retro-future

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

error1 posted:

explain web "development" then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

error1 posted:

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheany posted:

explain web "development" then

coda

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

error1 posted:

:wtc:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Several people at work stil actively use Microsoft Frontpage :shobon:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

error1 posted:

source your quotes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the talkman looks freakin sick. any chance of picking this baby up for a reasonable price and without carrier/oem blaot? looking for a pure ms experiene here.. authetically digital etc etc

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

theultimo posted:

i thought they were still going to include ie for backwards compat with poo poo like this?

or did they rip it out afterall?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smythe posted:

the talkman looks freakin sick. any chance of picking this baby up for a reasonable price and without carrier/oem blaot? looking for a pure ms experiene here.. authetically digital etc etc

hiii kiiiids weee're hooome eeeeearly

pram
Jun 10, 2001
must... resist.. urge to quote..

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stymie posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stymie posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the talkboy sounds good but lol @ 5" phone

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Shaggar posted:

the talkboy sounds good but lol @ 5" phone

of all the things to lol at windows phone over, shaggar picks a perfectly reasonable 5.2" size of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
tfw when u and your elderly bae on your deathbed in 2083 quoting the Talkboy commercial by heart

• Locked thread