Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I dusted this game off last week, after having been away for a couple of years.

Do fellow goons have a favorite T5-T6 ship?

Also, do we know why the non-fleet Chimera isn't being sold any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

XBenedict posted:

I hear the Galaxy-X* is pretty sweet.

Also nice of them to give us a bonus dil weekend so soon after the Risa poo poo has ended.

*this is a joke do not get it

faxmachine fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 23, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Morglon posted:

Obviously you've never played Neverwinter. It's exactly as poo poo and probably even worse since they keep getting the same unfixed poo poo STO has had for years and some more on top of it. Like that one dungeon that would literally melt your GPU if you went in there with shadows on.
Yeah, the only improvement Neverwinter really has over STO is their Foundry, and that's probably solely due to it being made years later with STO's to build off of. Everything else in the game is a blatant kMMO style cash sink grind that's even more blatant than STO, even if Cryptic's been trying hard to replicate that "success" in STO too since Delta Rising.

Seeing how player hostile NWO was really should have been a warning about STO's future, but I held some vague hope that they had different teams with different priorities. Whelp, was wrong there! :v:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
IMO, their land combat is better. Which is good, because there are no space combats where you fly on a pegicorn and shoot magic missiles at each other while triggering your Battery of Auxing.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Burning_Monk posted:

I never use the consumable items for my starships as it is. Does anyone actually use things like Engine Batteries or am I just missing out?
You're only missing out if you never threw down a Deuterium Surplus with Attack Pattern Omega and the console from the T2 Saber (Impulse Capacitance Cell).

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Lorak posted:

You're only missing out if you never threw down a Deuterium Surplus with Attack Pattern Omega and the console from the T2 Saber (Impulse Capacitance Cell).

Oh hell ya, all my ships have the Deuterium Surplus (some have the Capacitance Cell too). Of course, by the time it's done you are so far away from everything you might as well set course for Sol.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

XBenedict posted:

The Chimera is the 1000-day reward ship and is not for sale. Vets get them free by talking to the ship lady.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lorak posted:

Oh, did they add the mission to get deut surplus back in

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Tuskin38 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJOahtNKJU

Jeeze, the Neverwinter "Guild Strongholds" seem better then what we got in STO for fleets.

Wepretty jealous about the sto alliance thing.

Anyhow I came in to ask if anything had happened to your version of the gateway, the thing where you log in on your browser to mess with crafting and mail. They just turned off leadership for us to combat botting which we were all doing, the game doesn't make any sense without it. For us leadership provides astral diamonds which is the same as dilithium in sto. Kind of curious if its a cryptic wide thing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Cryptic doubling down on grind and tedium while being obviously hostile towards their player base? Well I never.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Tunicate posted:

Oh, did they add the mission to get deut surplus back in

It was there a couple weeks ago when I did a refill run.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Goofballs posted:

Wepretty jealous about the sto alliance thing.

Anyhow I came in to ask if anything had happened to your version of the gateway, the thing where you log in on your browser to mess with crafting and mail. They just turned off leadership for us to combat botting which we were all doing, the game doesn't make any sense without it. For us leadership provides astral diamonds which is the same as dilithium in sto. Kind of curious if its a cryptic wide thing.

Despite being promised our version of professions from the gateway before Neverwinter even launched, we never got it to begin with.

OnePt57x2
Sep 13, 2014
Requesting Wiki access, account created same handle as here.

Thanks,

-OnePt57x2

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
You know you don't have to sign your posts your name is right there and it's not 1995 anymore. Also don't thank Grimrak it creates precedent and nobody wants that.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

OnePt57x2 posted:

Same, without the gratitude.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Goofballs posted:

They just turned off leadership for us to combat botting
:laffo:

gently caress this company. Literally no games that aren't inundated with KMMO blatant cash sinks now.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

OnePt57x2 posted:

Thanks,

-OnePt57x2

Mate you will have to create a welcome thread in the GBS subforum before you get approved.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It sounds like the game is going downhill at an increasing rate. Looks like I should uninstall the client.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Between the poor performance, the lovely server stability, the assorted bugs, and I'm sorely considering it at this point despite STO unironically being my favorite MMO a year ago. It's almost hilarious to see how badly Cryptic has hosed everything up. I gave up on Champions Online years ago but that was from the slow whimper of maintenance mode development rather than actively crashing and burning like this.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Between the poor performance, the lovely server stability, the assorted bugs, and I'm sorely considering it at this point despite STO unironically being my favorite MMO a year ago. It's almost hilarious to see how badly Cryptic has hosed everything up. I gave up on Champions Online years ago but that was from the slow whimper of maintenance mode development rather than actively crashing and burning like this.

It's a bit of a shame as there was a lot of fun to be had with the game being easy. Adding more lovely grinding just sucks any fun out and given that it'll run horribly on my computer it seems like a waste. Might just get back into Payday 2 for some fun.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Devian666 posted:

It sounds like the game is going downhill at an increasing rate. Looks like I should uninstall the client.

Neverwinter in general and not just us fickle goons is halfway out the door. Its kind of fascinating how slowly and then with increasing speed they can crash games

I know you guys have a bunch of losers half reading the thread in the hope they will find the secret thing that will get you banned for 3 days knowing cryptic but can someone pm me the vague outlines of how you were making the secret sauce because we have a guy who said he made a lot of it in sto but right since the announcement about our gateway he's been incandescent with rage so I haven't seen him and given current circumstances I'm kind of flailing for a notion of what the gently caress do we now other than leave.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame because there's a lot of love in the game (I appreciate how the warp core icons represent cores from the various shows and movies, for example) and a lot of legit improvements over the years like the "new" old Spacedock.

Why can't there just be a solid space game with enough of an online component to gently caress with idiots that take it all too seriously in? Seems like everything's either hopelessly mismanaged shlock or vapourware with a cult following

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 24, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Da Mott Man posted:

LOL LOL LOL "polished programming" LOL

I mean comparatively. It gets their attempt at polish. Which is poo poo.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Have you looked at the Chinese economy lately? Expect PWE to be screaming at Cryptic to redouble their efforts.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1196518/should-catstar-be-in-sto

http://adventure-cat.deviantart.com/

In this lovely poll we are asked "Should this furry become an NPC?"

In his deviant art you can also find his epic struggles to have CBS publish his novel and make CatStar canon.

If anyone knows his in game name be sure to share it so he may receive his well deserved hosing.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

It's a shame because there's a lot of love in the game (I appreciate how the warp core icons represent cores from the various shows and movies, for example) and a lot of legit improvements over the years like the "new" old Spacedock.

Why can't there just be a solid space game with enough of an online component to gently caress with idiots that take it all too seriously in? Seems like everything's either hopelessly mismanaged shlock or vapourware with a cult following

Every MMO tries to turn everything into a second job to preserve the feeling of RPG progress. STO had a good have fun blowing up spaceships or other players and get rewarded. My understanding is that they have made everything equally poo poo in terms of rewards, which is a drat shame.

Probably the best mmo work ever was in erepublik where to work you just clicked the work button once a day. Then you could concentrate on fun stuff like manipulating currency, publishing articles that would leave other players foaming at the mouth, creating hyperinflation or starving an entire country to death. If only all these things could be done in STO, then it would be more like the shows.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, ironically the thing that made STO "work" was that the endgame was incredibly easy/casual, the ships and gear were pretty much sidegrades and toys, and the grinds were relatively low-key affairs that revolved more around real-world timers than actual heavy in-game effort. Reps took a month or two sure, but you could blitz marks over a weekend or something and basically be set the whole way. Problem is, this was a lot more fragile a balance than Cryptic seemed to consider, and once they started adding more blatant P2W cash sinks and proper actual grinds, the relatively lovely game design that was left wasn't enough to carry things.

Although what amazes me the most is how bad the post-expansion writing got since there's no real reason for it to have declined so sharply. I mean STO's story was never really top tier stuff, but the romulan quests and the dyson sphere story and all that were at least pretty fun and made some good extrapolations from the canon materials. But then we get to the wet fart that was the delta quadrant arc and the inane saturday morning cartoon writing of the Iconians and... :psyduck:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That casual end game got me into the game, along with the relatively fast leveling. I had fun playing the lovely game, which is why I was on so much that I poured quite a few resources into the kdf starbase. Oh well.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

OnePt57x2 posted:

Thanks,

-OnePt57x2

You're under consideration, we'll get back to you.

XBenedict posted:

Same, without the gratitude.

You're in, you dick.

Morglon posted:

You know you don't have to sign your posts your name is right there and it's not 1995 anymore. Also don't thank Grimrak it creates precedent and nobody wants that.

:salt:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The initial Delta missions were pretty good. I haven't played anything since either the Kobani mission or the Sela one though.

The big problem with Delta was that you had to replay the missions (or really the patrols) over and over again and nothing can hold up for long under that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Asimo posted:

Yeah, ironically the thing that made STO "work" was that the endgame was incredibly easy/casual, the ships and gear were pretty much sidegrades and toys, and the grinds were relatively low-key affairs that revolved more around real-world timers than actual heavy in-game effort. Reps took a month or two sure, but you could blitz marks over a weekend or something and basically be set the whole way. Problem is, this was a lot more fragile a balance than Cryptic seemed to consider, and once they started adding more blatant P2W cash sinks and proper actual grinds, the relatively lovely game design that was left wasn't enough to carry things.

Although what amazes me the most is how bad the post-expansion writing got since there's no real reason for it to have declined so sharply. I mean STO's story was never really top tier stuff, but the romulan quests and the dyson sphere story and all that were at least pretty fun and made some good extrapolations from the canon materials. But then we get to the wet fart that was the delta quadrant arc and the inane saturday morning cartoon writing of the Iconians and... :psyduck:

I keep reading this thread, but yeah you just cited all the reasons I played a lot up until the expansion and haven't installed the game since Delta Rising was released. I used to really enjoy STO for casual, entertaining spaceship-on-spaceship violence. Haven't found another game yet that's scratched that itch.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Stop lying, you uninstalled because you realized you will never be worthy of furthering the glorious plans of our Lord and Savior Gul Dukat.

OnePt57x2
Sep 13, 2014

Korgan posted:

You're under consideration, we'll get back to you.

I appreciate it, thanks.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

OnePt57x2 posted:

I appreciate it, thanks.

-A Post Written By
OnePt57x2

-OnePt57x2

Fixed

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
This game is free right? How hard is the learning curve?

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

drilldo squirt posted:

This game is free right? How hard is the learning curve?

Point and click adventure! Just press 1 and 2 a lot and it auto-fires on enemies. Either you will look for a place to troll people like I did or you will find the storyline a little bit entertaining and do that.. Or you'll just stop playing. That works too.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I upgraded Bruce and some pubbies don't like it.

quote:

[4:19] [Tell] Cojar@smuggel666: are you a girl?
[4:20] [Tell] Cojar@smuggel666: are you a girl?
[4:20] [Tell] Cojar@smuggel666: troll

http://gfycat.com/DazzlingUnlawfulBlueshark

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

Kind of "meh" on this one. Need a better head shot of Nbreeki.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Korgan posted:

I upgraded Bruce and some pubbies don't like it.

http://gfycat.com/DazzlingUnlawfulBlueshark

Lookin good, girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
What the hell is in that dlc they are selling for 150 dollars? Who would buy that?

• Locked thread