Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
nevermind, item frames will do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Is there something I can make to put on the walls above the chests to help easier identify what type of mats are in the chest? Like minecraft has a picture frame you can put an item in.

Yup: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Item_Frame

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You can also use statues, which is what I've always done. Gives them a use and I find that they're easier to recognize at a glance than frames due to their larger size.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargs posted:

You can also use statues, which is what I've always done. Gives them a use and I find that they're easier to recognize at a glance than frames due to their larger size.

Wouldn't that take up more room being the statue needs its own spot? And can you put items on top of a statue?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
You can also name chests in this version. Not as instantly easy to see what's in the chest since you have to mouse over it, but it's a lot less ambiguous to have chests named "Normal Mode Ores", "Hardmode Ores", "Pirate Loot" or whatever.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I can't find that picture with the really, REALLY in depth labeled series of storage chests. What's a good rough estimate for some casual but labeled storage for a single person?

I somehow have the feeling "20 chests" is undershooting even while in normal mode.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Chest detected nearby!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
This game runs like complete rear end even with frameskip on. Any tweaks or something? It's unplayable.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Red Mundus posted:

This game runs like complete rear end even with frameskip on. Any tweaks or something? It's unplayable.

Are you trying to run it on a toaster or something? I haven't had any problems with it on any of my computers, including my ancient XP laptop that's rotting in a closet somewhere.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Section Z posted:

While I can't find that picture with the really, REALLY in depth labeled series of storage chests. What's a good rough estimate for some casual but labeled storage for a single person?

I somehow have the feeling "20 chests" is undershooting even while in normal mode.

You'll want different chests for pre-hardmode and hardmode ores/bars, separate chests for each kind of weapon unless you sell them instead of collect them (so different for melee, bows, thrown, magic, maybe summon too since I tend to put pet/mount items with those), probably more than one chest for monster loot, a different chest for wood, different one for furniture (and more than one depending on how varied you base building is)... Make separate chests for putting in potions, potion materials, and seeds, and sell off excess healing potions that are of a lower rank than the one you're using at any given time. You should also keep your completed accessories separate so they don't clutter the chest you put the ones you plan to merge with others (which should be next to the tinkerer's workshop). I also highly recommend placing a chest dedicated to putting all the poo poo pirates drop for you when you get to those invasions. Another chest-filler is apparel, because they don't stack. You'll want two or three chests dedicated to putting in all the stupid hats and poo poo you come across, even if you sell duplicates, honestly.

Basically, chests. You'll want a lot of these.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dareon posted:

Yeah, if you get lucky you can shoot ahead without intentionally skipping over parts of the progression. Like, I was running around in cactus armor with silver weapons, and in my cavern exploration I found a minecart track that ended in a nice big cavern in the Underground Jungle, so I wound up getting a jungle yoyo and a piece of Ancient Cobalt armor just from silver bow and flaming arrows, without even having 200 HP yet. Then the skeleton merchant spawned and I got me a counterweight, so my yoyo just absolutely wrecked the Eye when it finally showed up. Next stop: Corruption.

Agreed, My current run I managed to score an Arkhalis 5 minutes into the game. It's possibly one of the most broken Brain/Eater killing weapons in the game btw. From there it was tin>brain>dungeon>etc. I probably spent more time exploring/artifact hunting at this point then all the previous combined.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 24, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Goddammit I just bought another clentaminator by mistake AGAIN. Gotta rearrange my steampunk chest so it doesn't look so much like the shop.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

Try changing the lighting mode to Retro. That seems to have the biggest impact of the graphics settings in my experience.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
drat, tshock for 1.3.0.6 came out this morning, and two hours later Terraria updated to 1.3.0.7. Cruel.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Finally made it to hard mode and my first impression is - I think i'll just stay in my pretty house. Everything seems to take ages to kill even with the pre-hardmode Underworld weapons. I'll get a nice upgrade soon right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

xiw posted:

drat, tshock for 1.3.0.6 came out this morning, and two hours later Terraria updated to 1.3.0.7. Cruel.

1.3.0.7 is just testing Mac and Linux support, apparently.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Asciana posted:

Finally made it to hard mode and my first impression is - I think i'll just stay in my pretty house. Everything seems to take ages to kill even with the pre-hardmode Underworld weapons. I'll get a nice upgrade soon right?

Break altars and mine some cobalt. Make a repeater. Load it with hellfire arrows.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Section Z posted:

It really depends on how you classify things. Every chest has like thirty spaces, but you might or might not use all of them depending on how you organize items. It also depends on how much you get rid of random chaff like outdated equipment or stacks of dirt.

Ores and bars can fit into two chests. Potion ingredients can fit into one chest, although seeds might make that run over. Potions could use up two chests depending on if you get rid of the inevitable twenty stacks of lesser healing you get as you explore.

Then there's building materials, accessories, and vanity items, and it all depends on how many of these you want to run around with. Explosives, electrical tools, switches, pumps....

If you were just stuffing things in chests with no sense of organization but only kept the actually immediately useful stuff you could get away with 7-10 chests and have room to spare. If you want a precisely organized filing cabinet system, you're going to have a lot more wasted space and use a lot more chests. To each their own.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

1.3.0.7 is just testing Mac and Linux support, apparently.

Clients won't join servers with old versions though :(

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

This is what I'm using right now.

There's no way 20 chests is enough. I have like 100 and some categories still run out of space even with 4 each (most notably basic blocks, accessories, consumables, vanity armor, and seeds + herbs).

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 24, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I wish there was a faster, easier way to make teleporters. I mean, the laying wire part.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

You'll want different chests for pre-hardmode and hardmode ores/bars, separate chests for each kind of weapon unless you sell them instead of collect them (so different for melee, bows, thrown, magic, maybe summon too since I tend to put pet/mount items with those), probably more than one chest for monster loot, a different chest for wood, different one for furniture (and more than one depending on how varied you base building is)... Make separate chests for putting in potions, potion materials, and seeds, and sell off excess healing potions that are of a lower rank than the one you're using at any given time. You should also keep your completed accessories separate so they don't clutter the chest you put the ones you plan to merge with others (which should be next to the tinkerer's workshop). I also highly recommend placing a chest dedicated to putting all the poo poo pirates drop for you when you get to those invasions. Another chest-filler is apparel, because they don't stack. You'll want two or three chests dedicated to putting in all the stupid hats and poo poo you come across, even if you sell duplicates, honestly.

Basically, chests. You'll want a lot of these.

Trasson posted:

It really depends on how you classify things. Every chest has like thirty spaces, but you might or might not use all of them depending on how you organize items. It also depends on how much you get rid of random chaff like outdated equipment or stacks of dirt.

Ores and bars can fit into two chests. Potion ingredients can fit into one chest, although seeds might make that run over. Potions could use up two chests depending on if you get rid of the inevitable twenty stacks of lesser healing you get as you explore.

Then there's building materials, accessories, and vanity items, and it all depends on how many of these you want to run around with. Explosives, electrical tools, switches, pumps....

If you were just stuffing things in chests with no sense of organization but only kept the actually immediately useful stuff you could get away with 7-10 chests and have room to spare. If you want a precisely organized filing cabinet system, you're going to have a lot more wasted space and use a lot more chests. To each their own.

Thanks for the tips. Stuff like splitting your growing collection of accessories into "Complete" and "Can smash together" is a great thing I woulda been kicking myself in hindsight over. On that note I lucked out being able to make specter boots as soon as I got the workshop. Oh my god I can't believe I ever thought you could manage accessory storage in general with just one chest, even not counting duplicates :suicide:

The farthest I had considered for "Fancy" sorting was biome specific non equippable materials. Like a Corruption chest for "This came from the Corruption Scenery/Enemies but isn't equippable". (A quick check shows there are just 15 kinds of seeds, so Deathweed seeds would probably end up in a Seeds chest like you suggested).

My main concern is underestimating all the stuff that doesn't stack, basically. For example, I'm only just now doing a general search for "Melee" and holy loving poo poo even if you ignored "Tin Vs Copper" and thrown weapons that's still basically over 100 items. I'd be happy with broad categories so I'd know "Okay, Melee poo poo is there, Ammo based weapons is there, and over here is my overflowing collection of umbrella hats and a chest filled entirely with wood and stone."

EDIT:

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I think having bots you could "program" to do basic tasks like drilling in a single direction or laying wire would be amazing.

I've been building NPC houses and sticking biome-related stuff in those. So I have a yellow stucco home for my fisherman with a palm wood chest with sand and shark fins, the dryad is in a living tree house with my wood. It's a bit of a hassle running around town if you need a bunch of different stuff but easy to remember where to get it.

Some kind of "Please deliver goods in chest area A to chest area B" system would be cool wishful thinking bit. You have a beach house, shove all your beach loot into chests, and it gets delivered to your main base.

Then again any such NPC would probably be murdered by a Unicorn, or open the trapdoor covering your hellevator.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 24, 2015

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Our 3-player mediumcore expert server (so we hoard a bit more than others)

They're not all full, but many of them are. And even some of the unlabeled ones are full too, like the sword chest is just the first of our melee weapons chests, it extends to the right. Same with the ores/armors/ranged weapons/magic weapons, etc.

e: and they don't all just have that single item in them, there are four chests on the 2nd row with just general accessories

But the Bezoar/Shackle chests are entirely full of just those items

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think having bots you could "program" to do basic tasks like drilling in a single direction or laying wire would be amazing.

I've been building NPC houses and sticking biome-related stuff in those. So I have a yellow stucco home for my fisherman with a palm wood chest with sand and shark fins, the dryad is in a living tree house with my wood. It's a bit of a hassle running around town if you need a bunch of different stuff but easy to remember where to get it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My house has less than 10 chests and I'm not hurting for space at all. It helps when you don't hoard literally every single item in the game and are actually willing to sell/toss the ones you aren't going to use.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

My house has less than 10 chests and I'm not hurting for space at all. It helps when you don't hoard literally every single item in the game

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Generally I do the following for a basic chest storage system when I make a new world/character, and expand from there as needed:

• 1 for low-tier ores
  • 1 for low-tier bars
  • 1 for Gems & Gemspark Blocks
  • 5+ for Basic Tiles: Stone, Mud, Dirt, Clay, basically anything you end up having thousands of due to mining.
  • 2 for Basic Furniture: Anything made with low tier materials. Doors, candles, etc.
  • 1 for building-aid tools: Eg. Various wood/leaf wands, range extender accessories, building potions.
  • 1 for boss summoning items
  • 1-2 for low-tier pickaxes/axes/hammers
  • 2 for low-tier accessories
  • 1 for vanity items
  • 1 for pets/mounts
  • 1 for melee weapons
  • 1 for ranged weapons
  • 1 for magic/summon weapons
  • 1 for ammo
  • 1-2 for quickly storing unsorted low-tier armor until I get around to making a mannequin hall for them all
  • 1 for wiring-related things
  • 5 for potions
  • 1 for seeds
  • 1 for flowers
  • 1 for dye plants
  • 1 for dye
  • 3 for fishing-related gear and fish. I also usually put my sonar/fishing/crate potions here instead of the main potion storage. These chests are usually separate from the rest and located in the Angler's home.
  • 1-2 for misc materials that I can never find a good organization system for (silk, cobwebs, coral, rotten chunks, vertebrae, etc)

And then a second copy of most of those chests for Hardmode. It varies a bit each time, but that basic setup keeps my inventory clean for the most part. It's even more convenient with the quick stack feature now.

Internet Kraken posted:

My house has less than 10 chests and I'm not hurting for space at all. It helps when you don't hoard literally every single item in the game and are actually willing to sell/toss the ones you aren't going to use.

I am really bad at trashing things I should otherwise keep to sell and I rarely ever store duplicates of an non-stackable item, but still have problems without tons of chests. :(

Edit: I'm also not nearly as organized as the above list when I actually make my storage room. It tends to have an awful layout and no organization other than each chest being organized.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I thought I was ready to take on the Golem.

Turns out my Golem room intersects a marble biome :negative:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

grancheater posted:

I thought I was ready to take on the Golem.

Turns out my Golem room intersects a marble biome :negative:

If I were you I'd look up that trick for moving the Golem altar (using actuators?).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Section Z posted:

My main concern is underestimating all the stuff that doesn't stack, basically. For example, I'm only just now doing a general search for "Melee" and holy loving poo poo even if you ignored "Tin Vs Copper" and thrown weapons that's still basically over 100 items. I'd be happy with broad categories so I'd know "Okay, Melee poo poo is there, Ammo based weapons is there, and over here is my overflowing collection of umbrella hats and a chest filled entirely with wood and stone."

Seriousky sell/trash low tier craftables you keep in chests, there is 0 reason to keep them around. For weapons, splitting thrown melee from close range melee, guns from bows, summons from magic, and one-use like explosives from everything else should go a long ways towards keeping your storage tidy unless you are huge on collecting.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

If I were you I'd look up that trick for moving the Golem altar (using actuators?).

Alternatively just seal up the entrances so medusas don't go wandering in.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

That's a pretty funky dance, Dryad. Show me how you do it.

first, find a burr in your sandbox

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Alternatively just seal up the entrances so medusas don't go wandering in.

That... probably doesn't work.

All my medusas seen so far have been wandering in the jungle underground. The first Marble Biome I've seen is a smallish thing, with a closed wall on one side, and a 40 tile gap with a two screen drop between it's opening and any jungle surface, and too steep for a Medusa to make it's way up to where I've seen 3/4 of em. When I've actually been IN that chunk of marble biome, no medusas. I guess because then they couldn't try to turn me to stone when they are in dark waters I couldn't see them in ahead of time in the marble biome.

PS: tried sealing it with a quick patchjob of lots of mud. Didn't help.

EDIT: vvv While I doubt they can stone you through the walls, the problem I am saying is that they wouldn't give a poo poo about walls and just probably spawn past said walls and all encasement of any shred of marble or marble wall (if any of them are out of sight) because gently caress you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 24, 2015

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Section Z posted:

All my medusas seen so far have been wandering in the jungle underground. The first Marble Biome I've seen is a smallish thing, with a closed wall on one side, and a 40 tile gap with a two screen drop between it's opening and any jungle surface. When I've actually been IN that chunk of marble biome, no medusas. I guess because then they couldn't try to turn me to stone when they are in dark waters I couldn't see them in ahead of time in the marble biome.

That is lame. Can they still stone you during the golem fight through the walls?

Just move the altar using the actuator trick mentioned above: actuate the three blocks underneath it, deactivate them and put thr golem altar amongst your spike ball traps.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Just obliterate the Marble cave out of existence.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't boss fights keep normal enemies from spawning? Every time I've fought a mechanical boss down in my mushroom biome all the enemies that normally swarm it stop spawning.

I know this is a joke but I'd really encourage new players not to go overboard with storage and hoarding stuff. There's tons of useless crap in this game you are never gonna use. There's stuff that's not even gonna serve you any good for decoration. Like, red ice can't be made into anything and spreads corruption, are you really gonna do anything with it ever? Just throw it in the trash.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 24, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Section Z posted:

All my medusas seen so far have been wandering in the jungle underground. The first Marble Biome I've seen is a smallish thing, with a closed wall on one side, and a 40 tile gap with a two screen drop between it's opening and any jungle surface, and too steep for a Medusa to make it's way up to where I've seen 3/4 of em. When I've actually been IN that chunk of marble biome, no medusas. I guess because then they couldn't try to turn me to stone when they are in dark waters I couldn't see them in ahead of time in the marble biome.

EDIT: vvv While I doubt they can stone you through the walls, the problem I am saying is that they wouldn't give a poo poo about walls and just probably spawn past said walls and all encasement of any shred of marble or marble wall (if any of them are out of sight) because gently caress you.

Patching up the biome doesn't stop the medusas from spawning, but it will still keep them from wandering into the temple when they spawn outside of it, which is good enough. They shouldn't spawn inside during the boss fight because the player will be too close.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Yeah, every time I fight a boss the trash mobs leave me the hell alone. Even if the bats and hoplites made building my Plantera arena a pain in the rear end, they disappeared when the fight was going on.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't boss fights keep normal enemies from spawning? Every time I've fought a mechanical boss down in my mushroom biome all the enemies that normally swarm it stop spawning.

I know this is a joke but I'd really encourage new players not to go overboard with storage and hoarding stuff. There's tons of useless crap in this game you are never gonna use. There's stuff that's not even gonna serve you any good for decoration. Like, red ice can't be made into anything and spreads corruption, are you really gonna do anything with it ever? Just throw it in the trash.

I... I have a treasure chest full of dirt. :smith:

IT MIGHT COME IN HANDY ONE DAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the DCU has done a world of good for my storage; collecting thousands of materials is such a breeze I don't bother to keep any of it except marble and obsidian.