Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OSad posted:

I just converted the 406mm in the game's tooltip to inches directly on google. Supposedly 406mm is exactly 15.9843 inches, which is just shy of 16.

I have no idea how inches work though, I guess at that point you just round it up and call it 16 inches then :v:

Yeah, when you're out to the hundredths place, you just round up, but I suppose you are very technically correct :v:. To be perfectly exact, 16" comes out to 406.4mm, and no one really wants to be bothered with less than 1/2 of one mm. By the same logic the IJN ones technically aren't as well, since they're using 410mm guns. In comparison to its competitors, Bismarck's only mounting 380mm guns. Obviously caliber matters as well, but its guns aren't particularly exceptional in that sense either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
do the secondary battery modifications have a significant enough effect to make them worthwhile on any battleships at bullying smaller ships, or are there any battleships that innately have accurate secondaries as a gimmick? I managed to ram a destroyer in my Kongo last night and the satisfaction of doing that has led me to want to make a boats career out of going full retard

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

yaay posted:

do the secondary battery modifications have a significant enough effect to make them worthwhile on any battleships at bullying smaller ships, or are there any battleships that innately have accurate secondaries as a gimmick? I managed to ram a destroyer in my Kongo last night and the satisfaction of doing that has led me to want to make a boats career out of going full retard

The Japanese ships with secondaries that can push out to 10km can also reduce a destroyer from full hp to dead in one attempted torpedo run with some above average dice rolls, and I've seen them either citadel or extremely high damage roll cruisers

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kawachi. Why. Kawachi why can you not hit boats when I fire your guns?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Magni posted:

Holy poo poo, my heart is still pounding from this match. Daily, but still, holy poo poo was that an adrenaline rush towards the end. :stare:

Replay:
https://www.mediafire.com/?1r2e94x1204ooio

Several of the BBs already in the game had torpedo tubes, too. They don't in-game and neither will any other battleship afaik.

That's one of the highest cruiser base xp games I've ever seen. Good job. :patriot:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

yaay posted:

The IJN line in general has better secondaries than the american BBs. Outstanding ones are the Nagato, Izumo and Yamato. Nagato with the upgrade and a captain has 7km range on her secondary battery and a load of guns firing about 45° off her forward axis to both sides while Izumo and Yamato can push theirs up to almost 10km - Yamato has a secondary broadside of 12x5in and 6x6in that can do pretty nasty things to cruisers and destroyers.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

NTRabbit posted:

The Japanese ships with secondaries that can push out to 10km can also reduce a destroyer from full hp to dead in one attempted torpedo run with some above average dice rolls, and I've seen them either citadel or extremely high damage roll cruisers

Magni posted:

The IJN line in general has better secondaries than the american BBs. Outstanding ones are the Nagato, Izumo and Yamato. Nagato with the upgrade and a captain has 7km range on her secondary battery and a load of guns firing about 45° off her forward axis to both sides while Izumo and Yamato can push theirs up to almost 10km - Yamato has a secondary broadside of 12x5in and 6x6in that can do pretty nasty things to cruisers and destroyers.

:getin:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I got in secondary range of a Yamato in my Atago yesterday. It was just a wall of shells heading my way, then it fired its main battery :stonk:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Switching between HE and AP on my IJN cruisers always got me accidentally reloading :negative:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I do not understand how two barrels of a double-linked turret can fire and deviate so heavily in where each individual shell lands. Kawachi why.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

cheese posted:

Switching between HE and AP on my IJN cruisers always got me accidentally reloading :negative:
Never not double tap.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Aesis posted:

Never not double tap.

If you tap the other shell type just once, it will not reload them instantly. Instead your next shot will be automatically treated as a double-tap followed by all guns reloading the new shell type.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

I do not understand how two barrels of a double-linked turret can fire and deviate so heavily in where each individual shell lands. Kawachi why.

Not that I think WG coded this because of :effort: but the dispersion would be caused by differences in individual guns, projectiles, powder ignition sequences, and the recoil caused that fraction of a second between the guns firing perhaps? God only knows what crazy formula they used that does not involve the phone number of Serb's favorite hooker, one of the devs driver license number and the price of a cheap bottle of vodka.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Remember, always turn into torps. Always. 250 matches in and I still brain fart and try to turn away. Eat 3/4 and die instead of just eating 1 and fighting longer.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Really starting to get the hang of carriers. Had a couple of really good games in my Independence recently. Feels good to lay in a full six torp spread into the side of a battleship. So far most only survive 5 hits.

Skycancer for life.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

IJN DDs are fun and alll, but I tend to do wayyyy better when I play sorta cautious in my USN DD. Like, I can normally kill 1-2 enemy DD and then sometimes a CV or BB or two.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I hate Fault Line so much. That lovely map encourages the worst kind of play with people hanging back trying to play sniper for fear of getting focused or torpedoed.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Had a game earlier today where I ate the entire spread of Torps dropped from a Langely.

BEFORE they could arm :dukedog:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

OSad posted:

I seem to have made someone very mad by making use of the mythical "border cheat". I do this like, once in a never, but this match was exceptional since I loaded in late and was pressured into the wall by a bunch of enemy BB's.

Either way, I'm a dirty cheater.

I think it'll actually be pretty good. I know that it had a weird armor layout, but didn't it have really good citadel armor? And the 15-inch guns are an oddity for the tier(fifteen inch guns are not an oddity in tier 8, my idiocy strikes again, though the North Carolina's guns are just shy of 16), it can do 30 knots which puts it up there with some of the fastest IJN battleships, it has torpedo tubes...

It almost seems too good to be true, since the torpedoes give you that extra tool that can save you from situations where a destroyer goes in for a run, or a cruiser comes around an island, you unload on him but can't quite kill him, now you have those torps for knife-fights while you're reloading your big guns. Or if the armor is good, you can even be really aggressive on this ship and shotgun other battleships. It's like a super, mega-fat destroyer with 15 inch guns that can actually take a hit! Maybe.

I wonder if the torps are going to be poo poo or the ship itself won't get a repair ability as a balancing factor or something. Maybe the rudder'll be made of paper mache and any attack bomber that manages to plink a hit on you will knock it out due to historical accuracy.

Edit: Apparently now that I've looked it up, the Bismarck never had a chance to mount her torpedo tubes. So this is not looking as good as I first thought it would.

Even if the wheraboos threw a bitchfit, wg has stated no battleship would have torpedos. Otherwise the new york/texas would have a compliment of torpedos, which would be awesome and we can't have that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Even if the wheraboos threw a bitchfit, wg has stated no battleship would have torpedos. Otherwise the new york/texas would have a compliment of torpedos, which would be awesome and we can't have that.

Honestly, it'd probably be easier to come up with a list of battleships in the game that DIDN'T have torpedoes mounted on them at one point. Hell, pre-refit the Nagato had torpedo tubes on it, and that's all the way up at Tier 7.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Nagato with torpedo tubes would be the most nightmarish thing ever given how that ship is already the most :black101: thing in the game when it comes to close-up brawling.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have finally finished the Kawachi. Please tell me the Myogi is better.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I have finally finished the Kawachi. Please tell me the Myogi is better.

Ummm...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Please no. Lie to me if you must. :negative:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Fully upgraded Myogi can be kinda fun given that it's a lot faster than the Kawachi and has much longer range. Also, while you have only 6 guns, they're 14-inchers with very god pen and damage for T4. Kawachi and Myogi are overall mediocre in seperate ways, but both can be made to work out well enough. And then you get the Kongo and everything's right with the world.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

The Myogi has a good chance of seeing a significant amount of carriers and doesn't get any AA until the 3rd hull.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

It is by far the best ship in the entire IJN line.. you will be basking in the glory of your battles as you decimate ships one after another.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

demonR6 posted:

It is by far the best ship in the entire IJN line.. you will be basking in the glory of your battles as you decimate ships one after another.

Now, now, let's not go overboard. Even it cannot compare to the glory and awe-inspiring power of the Mutsuki and Furutaka. Though I can hardly fault it for failing to reach those inspiring heights.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Myogi, first ship to get a conning tower in its superstructure. First is best so Myogi is bestest.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I know this is trivial to most of you guys, but I managed 9 citadel hits in my Tenryu earlier. I'll keep chasing that high, AP is finally clicking with me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Magni posted:

Holy poo poo, my heart is still pounding from this match. Daily, but still, holy poo poo was that an adrenaline rush towards the end. :stare:

Hah, I had a fairly badass game in my Myoko as well.

Replay Link

It started as me doing a suicide run on the enemy carrier that I somehow survived, and then snowballed from there as my pubbies tried to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there a short list of ships that are considered really good that I should be aiming for? I just unlocked my first tier 4, and have more or less enjoyed the ships I've gotten so far, except maybe the T1 stuff.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there a short list of ships that are considered really good that I should be aiming for? I just unlocked my first tier 4, and have more or less enjoyed the ships I've gotten so far, except maybe the T1 stuff.

St Louis, Omaha, Isokaze, Clemson and Kuma are some of my favorite ships so far.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've noticed a lot of pubby DD captains don't actually know their torps have limited range.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The fire mod and skills are definitely multiplicative, rather than subtractive. Assuming WG hasn't hosed up the coding somewhere, of course. Just got set on fire twice in two volleys by a destroyer(Minekaze, specifically), which would be impossible if it was subtractive. Incidentally, the fires were still complete bullshit regardless, since I didn't get hit with either full volley and each shot should have had a <10% chance of setting me on fire, but some days the RNG just says "gently caress you."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just ran into an Atlanta in my Wyoming. :catstare:

That thing seemed like it was firing a machine gun from its batteries. Thankfully, he couldn't aim worth poo poo and he still had a citadel.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Night10194 posted:

I just ran into an Atlanta in my Wyoming. :catstare:

That thing seemed like it was firing a machine gun from its batteries. Thankfully, he couldn't aim worth poo poo and he still had a citadel.
The arc on the Cleveland and especially the Atlanta needed for shots to reach their already short range is hilarious. Atlanta shots need like a 12 second travel time or something ridiculous to reach their short range. Its very hard to aim.

Peavey
Aug 22, 2007
hi
Both ships have under 155m guns so have a short range stock but for example my cleveland has a range of 17.5km with the 20% increase of range rank 4 captain skill. I also find the high ark pretty helpful as I can land 10 plus shots from a volley on a flat wide battleship.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I still don't understand what the Atlanta is good for. The guns are sub-par, the torpedoes have bad range, (I think) it's slower than the average cruiser, it has poor armor, it can't shoot very far and the shots take forever to get somewhere, and if they do find their mark by the time the next year comes around, if it's anything more heavily armored than a destroyer, even doing damage is going to be difficult I think.

Doesn't seem like a very excelling ship for 41 dollars. The rate-of-fire is nice, but is it worth nearly a full Ulysses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

OSad posted:

I still don't understand what the Atlanta is good for. The guns are sub-par, the torpedoes have bad range, (I think) it's slower than the average cruiser, it has poor armor, it can't shoot very far and the shots take forever to get somewhere, and if they do find their mark by the time the next year comes around, if it's anything more heavily armored than a destroyer, even doing damage is going to be difficult I think.

Doesn't seem like a very excelling ship for 41 dollars. The rate-of-fire is nice, but is it worth nearly a full Ulysses?

It was still a bit of a surprise to see 'Oh, hey, barrage coming in. And. Uh. Another. And another. And another. And another. And...JESUS CHRIST GIVE IT A REST.'