Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Minarchist posted:

Sycamores are native and grow well here in the same areas as Eucalyptus.

My neighbor has a huge sycamore and it looks great (even though it drops those dingleberries into my yard all year long.)

My dead front lawn plan for next year is to add some big rocks, 2 fruitless olive trees, some lavender and various bunches of grass and that's it. Maybe a few dwarf (12 foot max) cypress trees to go around the patio after I have the 3+ 60 foot aggressive shitbox cypress trees removed.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Sycamores naturally occur in riparian areas and can end up looking pretty ratty if they don't get adequate moisture; comparing them to Eucalypts isn't really all that accurate. They are happier in the central parts of the state than they are in the south. There are lots of good drought resistant choices for trees in the south, though; many are desert species and are well suited to the climate.

While the coastal sage scrub natives are often fuel because of the oils that protect them from drought, there are lots of natives that don't have those properties. Tree of Life Nursery is a great resource for people interested in native plants, although their focus is much more oriented to SoCal.

Lavender can be great but it's very particular about drainage and many varieties are not cold tolerant, which can be a problem for some areas in central California.

I'm a landscape architect who designs large scale commercial, civic and institutional projects and am happy to entertain plantchat.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Noggin Monkey posted:

Sycamores naturally occur in riparian areas and can end up looking pretty ratty if they don't get adequate moisture; comparing them to Eucalypts isn't really all that accurate. They are happier in the central parts of the state than they are in the south. There are lots of good drought resistant choices for trees in the south, though; many are desert species and are well suited to the climate.

While the coastal sage scrub natives are often fuel because of the oils that protect them from drought, there are lots of natives that don't have those properties. Tree of Life Nursery is a great resource for people interested in native plants, although their focus is much more oriented to SoCal.

Lavender can be great but it's very particular about drainage and many varieties are not cold tolerant, which can be a problem for some areas in central California.

I'm a landscape architect who designs large scale commercial, civic and institutional projects and am happy to entertain plantchat.

Actually I have a bunch of questions.
What would your solution be to The Bay Area Eucalyptus issue? What would you replant/replace it with, or would you leave the Eucalyptus? What's your ideal 'green space'? I know the whole range of California is gonna be different, but if you could do some ideal planting/landscaping, what is the way to go in your opinion?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Anywhere the redwoods can still grow, help them grow.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Anywhere the redwoods can still grow, help them grow.

Just don't plant them near your home or the people living there in 20+ years will hate you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Minarchist posted:

For some reason a lot of Eucalyptus and Jacarandas in my area got planted right where people are gonna park their cars. Yeah, lets have two horribly messy species right where people are going to leave their expensive vehicles :thumbsup:

Boy I love having heavy branches fall on my car during the Santa Anas and purple flowers staining the poo poo out of everything during spring, it's really great :smithicide:

It sucks parking under eucalyptus trees, makes your car look like it's made out of paper mache due to all the falling bark.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Trabisnikof posted:

Just don't plant them near your home or the people living there in 20+ years will hate you.

Says the guy NOT living inside a giant tree :colbert:

realpost edit: redwoods need that cool coastal fog or they dry out really bad, the ones at Cal Poly Pomona are hurting bad despite getting plenty of water, it's just too dry for them :(

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Space-Bird posted:

Actually I have a bunch of questions.
What would your solution be to The Bay Area Eucalyptus issue? What would you replant/replace it with, or would you leave the Eucalyptus? What's your ideal 'green space'? I know the whole range of California is gonna be different, but if you could do some ideal planting/landscaping, what is the way to go in your opinion?

Urban forests are most healthy when they have diversity; I tend to feel that cutting down mature trees CAN be a viable strategy, but it's a nuanced issue. Will the loss of shade negatively impact human habitation or use? Would cutting everything down increase erosion downslope? Do the trees present a danger to development or natural systems? How does cost factor in? There are tons of factors and appropriate solutions vary from site to site. I've done some work in the Napa Valley but don't know as much about the Bay Area ecosystems and landscapes as I do for the southern end of the state.

'Ideal' use of a green space varies depending where in the urban/rural interface a site exist, ie the right use for an urban site is going to be different from a suburban or rural one.

My own work focuses on urban parks, college campuses, class A offices and other principally urban developments. Planting and living systems for those projects vary depending on the owner's desired program, but we typically eschew "traditional" plants used on California (ie inappropriate nonnative species) and prefer to use a mix of natives and adapted species.

Like the tree issue, there can be a lot of nuance. Water availability is a big deal, as is the clients appetite for maintenance and cost. Personal taste also plays a big factor.

My own garden in San Diego is transitioning to desert plants and native sage scrub plants because I don't have irrigation and prefer to infrequently water in the dry season.

That's about as much as I can manage phone posting but I'm happy to get more specific if you like!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

At least in the case of Burlingame's eucalyptuses, I'll take an improved, electrified Caltrain over some dumb invasive species of tree in a boring yuppie suburb that I never visit anyway. But that's just my opinion.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Noggin Monkey posted:

Up in the Bay Area, Yerba Buena Nursery is a great resource for native plants.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

California oak trees seem like a good option?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Keyser S0ze posted:

My neighbor has a huge sycamore and it looks great (even though it drops those dingleberries into my yard all year long.)

My dead front lawn plan for next year is to add some big rocks, 2 fruitless olive trees, some lavender and various bunches of grass and that's it. Maybe a few dwarf (12 foot max) cypress trees to go around the patio after I have the 3+ 60 foot aggressive shitbox cypress trees removed.

My father has a massive loving sycamore in his backyard and they also drop ridiculous amounts of leaves. Enough to carpet his yard and the 5 yards adjacent to his in dry leaves. Talk about a loving fire hazard and a total bitch to clean up every fall.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Leperflesh posted:

California oak trees seem like a good option?

The Coast Live Oak is a bit shrubby for my taste although we have planted a lot; Black or Blue Oaks are super hard to find in the trade, which is really unfortunate because they are pretty nice. We use Live Oaks and Holly Oaks a lot; I planted a bunch of Red Oaks in Napa and they have done pretty well.

Good choices for the south also include Chilean Mesquite, Palo Verde, various Acacias, Madrone and a few more I can't think of at the moment.

The Chinese Elm is a pretty good choice for most of the state as well.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My father has a massive loving sycamore in his backyard and they also drop ridiculous amounts of leaves. Enough to carpet his yard and the 5 yards adjacent to his in dry leaves. Talk about a loving fire hazard and a total bitch to clean up every fall.

hell yeah, I've only been in this house since October and have cleaned the gutters and back yard of leaves from that tree at least 4 times and there are always more appearing out of nowhere. It has sprouted several babbys throughout my backyard too that I'll probably have to murder. I also have at least 3 different kind of oak tree babbys from surrounding old oaks as well, too bad they won't be big enough to enjoy for another 50 years.

Looks like valley oak, interior live oak and maybe a holly oak on the far right? The one on the top left is a different blue/grey color even though the lovely iphone pic makes them all look the same - so it might be an Engelmann Oak....hell if I know. There are huge oak trees all over the area.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 23, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

There's a contest to win a house in Jackson by paying 100$ and submitting a dessert to be taste tested.

I have a dessert that would win for sure, so I was thinking let's do this.

Then I remembered where Jackson is.

No thank you.

I always thought jackson was pretty, but then I'm usually just driving through at dawn omw to kirkwood

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Jackson's not so bad. Hotter than poo poo in summer, to be sure, but there's also tons of cute historic Gold Rush towns all about and some half-decent wineries. The only downside is that Stockton has gotten large enough that it somewhat ruins the nighttime views from our family's friends' summer cottage that we visit sometimes. :wotwot:

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004
UC is raising the minimum wage to $15/hr: http://universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-president-announces-15hour-minimum-wage

Of course, TAs only make like $18/hr (http://grad.ucsd.edu/_files/financial/acad-pay/STURATES1415-Rev3.pdf).

Does anyone else find this $15/hr stuff kind of insidious? Measures to make every aspect of middle class life (education, health care, housing, retirement, etc.) more affordable are ignored, but hey, poverty can be comfortable now!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Does anyone else find this $15/hr stuff kind of insidious? Measures to make every aspect of middle class life (education, health care, housing, retirement, etc.) more affordable are ignored, but hey, poverty can be comfortable now!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That attitude is pretty much generalizable to "any incremental change is bad."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

At least in the case of Burlingame's eucalyptuses, I'll take an improved, electrified Caltrain over some dumb invasive species of tree in a boring yuppie suburb that I never visit anyway. But that's just my opinion.

I lolled over a angry letter to the editor about those trees.

Burlingame may be boring on the outside but it has more cougars than the Santa Cruz mountains

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Is it an adequate solution to the problem of systemic wealth disparity in a country with little in the way of a social safety net? No.

Should we be glad that there's the political will to do even that instead of our usual policy of loving over the poor as hard as we can? Yes.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Baby Babbeh posted:

Is it an adequate solution to the problem of systemic wealth disparity in a country with little in the way of a social safety net? No.

Should we be glad that there's the political will to do even that instead of our usual policy of loving over the poor as hard as we can? Yes.

I mean, I guess? These increases in pay will just fall on the backs of students and faculty. The UC should be reducing nonacademic personnel, if anything.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I mean, I guess? These increases in pay will just fall on the backs of students and faculty. The UC should be reducing nonacademic personnel, if anything.

Those greedy non-academic personnel who benefit from a minimum wage are truly the issue.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

Those greedy non-academic personnel who benefit from a minimum wage are truly the issue.

Management too, obviously. But yes, all non-academics at the university are leeching off of students and faculty.

Edit: Isn't this the Marxist viewpoint?

Slobjob Zizek fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 24, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Management too, obviously. But yes, all non-academics at the university are leeching off of students and faculty.

Edit: Isn't this the Marxist viewpoint?

Nope, not at all.
Unless you want the students and faculty doing all of the non-academic work too?
I'm thinking janitors and office staff, are you talking faculty? That is a different discussion. But the faculty isn't making minimum wage.

Ah that Marxist viewpoint tossed in while I was writing; beautiful man, beautiful. :suicide:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 24, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

I'm glad over the whole minimum wage fight, serves as a really quick litmus test to find horrible people.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Pohl posted:

Nope, not at all.
Unless you want the students and faculty doing all of the non-academic work too?
I'm thinking janitors and office staff, are you talking faculty? That is a different discussion. But the faculty isn't making minimum wage.

Ah that Marxist viewpoint tossed in while I was writing; beautiful man, beautiful. :suicide:

Students and faculty should get tuition discounts/lower grant overhead before initiatives like this happen. The UC system is in sorry shape and the faculty and students are really what drive it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Students and faculty should get tuition discounts/lower grant overhead before initiatives like this happen. The UC system is in sorry shape and the faculty and students are really what drive it.

What initiative are you talking about? The minimum wage increase? :lol:
Those drat janitors. This needs posted twice. :lol:

Get those students out there emptying the garbage, cleaning toilets and mowing the lawn. Sweep the floors, vacuum rooms and then spend hours answering questions about student aid and how the loving catalog works. We aren't going to pay those students, however, we will just lower their tuition. Now then, when do they work so they can afford to loving eat? You have a very limited viewpoint.

The reason the cost of CA colleges going up is not cost, it is that people refuse to pay taxes to fund it like they did in the past. gently caress you, got mine, times 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. It is a simple concept.

Edit: And people working at those places deserve to make a living wage. They deserve to feed to themselves and their children. They deserve to have an opportunity. The deserve to not just be maligned in life, but to actually have hope. Sorry man, people build systems, and everyone in that system is important, don't dismiss them.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 24, 2015

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Pohl posted:

Edit: And people working at those places deserve to make a living wage. They deserve to feed to themselves and their children. They deserve to have an opportunity. The deserve to not just be maligned in life, but to actually have hope. Sorry man, people build systems, and everyone in that system is important, don't dismiss them.

I think this is just an absurd viewpoint, but this isn't a thread for that debate. Cheers!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I think this is just an absurd viewpoint, but this isn't a thread for that debate. Cheers!

"Service workers deserve to make a living wage" is absurd? Uh, ok.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Slobjob Zizek posted:

The UC system is in sorry shape and the faculty and students are really what drive it.

Yeah its those loving poors!

http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/...ned-by-a-regent

quote:

A year ago, Richard C. Blum, then the chairman of the regents of the University of California, spoke at the Milken Institute’s Global Conference 2009, held at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles. The corporate confab was hosted by Michael Milken, the “junk bond king” who went to prison in the aftermath of the savings and loan fiasco in the 1980s. Milken, who is barred from securities trading for life by federal regulators, has since recreated himself as a proponent of investing in for-profit educational corporations, an industry which regularly comes under government and media scrutiny in response to allegations of fraud made by dis-satisfied students.

At the conference, Blum, who is a professionalWall Street speculator, sat on a panel called “The New University and Its Role in the Economy,” alongside the presidents of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Arizona State University. The panel focused on how universities can best serve the corporate jones for tech-savvy employees by recruiting smart freshmen with scientific talent. One panel member urged treating universities as “laboratories of business ideas and products.”

As someone who oversees investment policy decisions for the University of California’s $63 billion portfolio, and as the largest shareholder in two for-profit corporate-run universities (in which UC invests), Blum had a unique perspective to share at the conference. He advised public universities to attract business-oriented students with clever advertisements (as vocational schools do).

“It’s like anything else,” he said. “It’s how you market it.”

For several years, Blum’s firm, Blum Capital Partners, has been the dominant shareholder in two of the nation’s largest for-profit universities, Career Education Corporation and ITT Educational Services, Inc. The San Francisco-based firm’s combined holdings in the two chain schools is currently $923 million — nearly a billion dollars. As Blum’s ownership stake enlarged, UC investment managers shadowed him, ultimately investing $53 million of public funds into the two educational corporations.

The regents’ conflict-of-interest policy requires them to “avoid the potential for and the appearance of conflicts of interest with respect to the selection of individual investments … public officials shall not make, participate in making, or influence a governmental decision in which the official has a conflict of interest.” And the California Political Reform Act of 1974 provides civil and criminal penalties for officials who ignore conflicts of interest — as UC makes clear in ethics training presentations specifically created for university officials. The Board of Regents, however, is self-policing and it tolerates situations that cause others concern.

Due to serial tuition hikes by the UC regents, and their gutting of many classes and educational programs, and the imposition of a 15 percent reduction of in-state admissions to the university, the gateway to higher learning in California has seriously narrowed. As a UC regent, Blum voted in favor of all of these measures — and such actions have indirectly benefited his corporate colleges. But his schools are not the only ones profiting from the financial disaster that besets many public universities.

Blum’s investment bank entered the for-profit education business in 1987, when he purchased a large block of shares in National Education Corporation, an Irvine-based vocational school that specialized in awarding mail-order diplomas. He joined the company’s board of directors, sitting alongside former U.S. Senator Barry Goldwater and David C. Jones, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Two years later, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times, Blum got in hot water when angry shareholders filed a lawsuit contending that “the company issued rosy financial statements while Blum and other directors were selling their shares.” The shareholders claimed in court documents that Blum sold $2.7 million worth of shares at about $24 per share after he learned, a day before the public announcement, that the company president planned to resign. When the share price bottomed out at $3.50 a share after the announcement, Blum reinvested in the troubled company, booking a profit.

Even as Blum was buying stock in Career Education and ITT Educational Services, UC financial records show that the university’s investment managers were actively buying and selling these same stocks — to the tune of $53 million. The university was not just holding onto these stocks to accrue value over time (as a prudent manager would do), it was day trading them in large amounts, as much as $2 million a trade, thereby affecting the daily price of these stocks. And these two companies were largely owned by a regent, a Wall Street speculator who sat on the university’s investment committee, which oversaw the management of the university’s stock portfolio. Does not this situation pose at least the appearance of a conflict?

Regardless, the bottom line is that UC is investing tens of millions of public dollars in two for-profit school chains largely controlled by a regent (a Wall Street arbitrager) who sit on UC’s investment committee.

http://cironline.org/reports/uc-endowment-has-worst-investment-returns-among-largest-us-college-funds-5929

quote:

UC endowment has worst investment returns among largest US college funds

The University of California’s $11.2 billion endowment has produced the worst investment returns of any of the richest colleges in the country over the past decade, an analysis by The Center for Investigative Reporting shows.

Thousands of employees in the 10-campus system lost their jobs and students felt the pain acutely, as their education costs more than doubled.

Three times in the last decade – in the 2008, 2009 and 2012 fiscal years – the University of California actually lost money. During bull markets in 2005 and 2006, when the stock market surged, UC’s rate of return was at least 10 percentage points lower than that of Yale, the top performer in those years. While its investment performance lagged behind the other big universities, the UC system experienced deepening financial stress.

As state revenues plummeted because of the recession, the Legislature between 2008 and 2012 slashed its annual appropriation to the university system by $900 million, or more than 25 percent, records show. In all, about 4,200 employees were laid off, and 9,000 job openings remained unfilled. And students faced tuition increase after tuition increase.

If the endowment had matched the returns of even an average performer in the CIR analysis, the university system would have increased its endowment by an additional $3.2 billion over 10 years.

The university spends roughly 5 percent of the endowment’s value each year, UC records show. Average investment performance could have supplied a windfall of about $682 million over the decade, CIR’s analysis shows.

The University of California’s endowment, built over the years with contributions from alumni, foundations and corporations, ranked sixth in size among American universities as of June, according to CIR’s analysis. Harvard, the biggest, had about $33 billion.

gently caress the poors! More money for the rich! Investment gamblers deserve all out money. God has said so!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Slobjob Zizek posted:

UC is raising the minimum wage to $15/hr: http://universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-president-announces-15hour-minimum-wage

Of course, TAs only make like $18/hr (http://grad.ucsd.edu/_files/financial/acad-pay/STURATES1415-Rev3.pdf).

I TAed for several years at a UC (I am on fellowship now). The facilities staff work very very hard for little pay and they deserve a big raise. The administrative workers in my department (advisors, people who handle grants and financing) are "part time" employees treated and paid like trash. Here's a thought - maybe we can raise wages for both custodial staff and TAs at the same time?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hmmmm.... sounds dubious.

How about instead of all that, we cut the number of TAs/custodial staff and have them do more work for the same amount of pay? Then we can afford to give the chancellors a raise, so that we can attract top talent to those positions!

Seriously, though, this is a good move by UC and I'm liking the pressure we're seeing to move to higher wages for the working poor. It doesn't solve the inequality problems but it does a lot for the poorest workers and their families.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Slobjob Zizek posted:

No please, talk away. I really want to know what you meant.
Like California, this thread is big and diverse. It can take it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

So I went to an old Cafe called the Big Kitchen today for breakfast at about 7:30.
I had ok food, unlimited black coffee, and some great conversation. I talked to a guy that worked for GE and has a Theology degree, and a guy that is law enforcement (not really, I think he is a security guard, he really got tired of my pointed questions. I was even being nice, I wasn't trying to out him, I was just asking questions). The old guy with the Theology degree was great, though. On the way home I stopped at a bar and had a smoke with some of the employees on the patio. It was a great morning.

Happy California day everyone.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That article failed to mention who Dicky Blum's wife is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Slobjob Zizek posted:

It is Californians like you who are turning the Bay Area -- and others -- into an enclave where working-class people can't afford to live. Cheers!

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Are you sure?

Slobjob Zizek posted:

It's absurd that people can't afford to raise a family until their late 20s (when fertility starts to become a concern) and decisions can't be made freely. I think people would have more kids if it was again feasible to live a full adult lifestyle at 22 (job paying a lot, being able to live alone, not needing more school, etc.).

quag dab peg
Jan 11, 2007
querny

Keyser S0ze posted:

That article failed to mention who Dicky Blum's wife is.

God drat it. An old part of me knew the answer and told me not to look but I did and god drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

loving hell.

I wish the Democratic Party could forcibly eject people like Dianne Feinstein.

I remember back when she was the mayor of San Francisco (she became mayor pro-tem due to the Milk/Moscone assassination, and then was elected twice in the late 70s and early 80s), and students were protesting something or another that she was loving them over with. Probably her veto of domestic partner legislation.

She ran against Pete Wilson for governor and lost. I blame the Wilson years in part on her ineffective campaign. Also if she'd won, she probably wouldn't have run for senator in 92, which probably would have meant Boxer would be our senior senator instead of Feinstein (or whoever).

Wikipedia posted:

Feinstein was criticized in 2009 when she introduced a bill directing $25 billion to the FDIC the day after the agency awarded her husband's company a contract to sell foreclosed properties at compensation rates higher than the industry norms.[23] Feinstein and her husband have been tied to questionable dealings between the world's largest commercial real estate firm and the U.S. Postal Service.[24] Feinstein has also been accused of abusing her position to award her husband’s companies billions of dollars in military contracts.

I'm not against gun control but Feinstein's assault weapons ban thing has always been and continues to be a completely stupid and ineffective political posture in which some scary-looking guns get banned while other equally (or more) effective guns that aren't those specific scary-looking guns are perfectly legal.

In 2012, 7.75 million Californians voted for her.

Wikipedia posted:

Foreign Policy wrote that she had a "reputation as a staunch defender of NSA practices and the White House's refusal to stand by collection activities targeting foreign leaders."[35] In October 2013 she criticized the NSA for monitoring telephone calls of foreign leaders friendly to the US.[36] In November 2013 she promoted the Fisa Improvements Act bill which included a "backdoor search provision" that allows intelligence agencies to continue certain warrantless searches as long as they are logged and "available for review" to various agencies.[37]

In June 2013 Feinstein labeled Edward Snowden a traitor after his leaks went public. In October of that year she stated that she stood by those comments.[38]"

Also she pretends to support medical marijuana while

quote:

she was the only Democrat who joined a minority of Republicans in voting against a measure designed to prevent federal interference with states' medical marijuana laws; that legislation passed with a 21-9 vote on June 18, 2015.

She's the senior Democrat (and chair, when the Democrats have a majority) of the Senate Appropriations, Judiciary, Rules, and Intelligence Committees, which means she's very powerful and influential when it comes to legislation passing through or originating in any of those committees.

She's old, she's conservative in a lot of ways, she's a blight on liberal principles, and I'm just now finding out that her husband is deeply and inextricably entwined with both for-profit private higher education of the trashiest kind, and running the state's higher education system.

gently caress them both. I hope they die in a fire.