Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Palpek posted:

I must say the feeling of despair I get when the screen freezes is beyond any tragic quest outcome in the game.

Have you contacted customer support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yennifer just drew a humorous moustache on a portrait of some jerk and she was in a pun contest with Geralt earlier she is the greatest.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Yennifer just drew a humorous moustache on a portrait of some jerk and she was in a pun contest with Geralt earlier she is the greatest.

:yeah:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Just finished the game after 107 hours playtime. Really spectacular experience all around.

I think the game did a really great job exploring a character relationship you don't really see in games: the relationship between a hero and their adult child. The facial animation system totally killed it on that front as well. Really pulled at the heart strings.

Game ran super smooth, but did run into a few bugs (all quest related) after 1.07. Namely that a few completed quests never got "marked" as completed (The Nobleman Statuette, the other statuette one, and Novigrad, Closed City). When going into the final bit of the game, it also failed me on 'A Matter of State' even though the quest was already completed long before. Lastly, the quest 'A Long Time Ago Far, Far Away' is borked. When you go to the quest marker in Velen where you are supposed to find the second ship, there is nothing except endlessly spawning drowners. If you let them idle for a bit and shoot a crossbow bolt at them underwater, a swarm of like, eight of them comes at you at once. And they never stop. Great if you want to see how many floating drowner corpses you can have on screen.

I do have a question for those who finished the game and W2. Is there any mention of Saskia in the game, outside of the gwent card? I sided with Roche in my main W2 game. Just wondering if she showed up at all if you did the other path.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I think I somehow missed the pun contest with Yen. I don't remember anything like that :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

pik_d posted:

I think I somehow missed the pun contest with Yen. I don't remember anything like that :(

Did you do the werewolf quest (Morkvarg, specifically) before Last Wish?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

pik_d posted:

Spoilers: Skellige Main Quest Line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5mFT3yCzo

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The Witchar: Wicked Hunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aOp1p7e0d4

In a related video, "20 awesome details in the Witcher 3" I learned two new things.

a) you can deflect arrows with a well-timed Aard sign
b) Birna actually gets chained to a rock and dies. You can find her later in the game.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 24, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I do have a question for those who finished the game and W2. Is there any mention of Saskia in the game, outside of the gwent card? I sided with Roche in my main W2 game. Just wondering if she showed up at all if you did the other path.

Yes, though it doesn't appear to reflect your Witcher 2 choices. The save I imported, I sided with Iorveth, freed Saskia and the free state of Vergen was a thing (also spared Letho and killed Sile).

When you first arrive in Skellege for the final act, you can go into the ship's cabin and talk to Phillipa. You can ask about Saskia then. Phillipa just says she lost control of her and doesn't know where she is (I freed her :sigh:)

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

JetsGuy posted:

Is that the superior cavalry saddle that's that rocking black one?

It is the Superior Cavalry Saddle. Identical to Zerrikanian except it's blue and some other colors, has more ornate stitching and also has additional ornamentation on the backrest or whatever. Zerrikanian looks way more boring but, you know, stamina.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

That's a good way to put it. But she's definitely grown more of a backbone by the time the games roll around. She would probably have gone against assassinating the king she was advising even if Geralt wasn't around. She's portrayed as much less "Please let me stay in the cool girls club, I'll do whatever" in the games, imo.
The Lodge never intended to kill Foltest. That was all Letho and Emhyr. This is probably the biggest plot point in TW2 that is fairly consistently misunderstood by the player base, from what I've seen.

Spite posted:

Do they ever explain what happened after W2 when Triss and Geralt went separate ways? There are a bunch of references to it, but I was never totally clear on what happened - other than Geralt telling her "I'm gone."

It's implied he called her on the whole "lying about your amnesia" thing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snuffman posted:

Yes, though it doesn't appear to reflect your Witcher 2 choices. The save I imported, I sided with Iorveth, freed Saskia and the free state of Vergen was a thing (also spared Letho and killed Sile).

When you first arrive in Skellege for the final act, you can go into the ship's cabin and talk to Phillipa. You can ask about Saskia then. Phillipa just says she lost control of her and doesn't know where she is (I freed her :sigh:)

That dialogue only happens if you freed Saskia and is totally consistent with Saskia's curse being lifted. Philippa wasn't there for that.

There's no mention of Saskia whatsoever if you didn't free her from Philippa's curse.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Have you contacted customer support?
In the meantime I listened to the advice given in this thread and it turned out that 1.07 changed the fullscreen setting to borderless window and when I changed it back to fullscreen the crashes stopped :iiam:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

mcbexx posted:

b) Birna actually gets chained to a rock and dies. You can find her later in the game.

Well That was what her punishment was said to be, but I never thought to look for her...

She's here. http://imgur.com/a/gOUPh/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't like how you get coins from nowhere for completing quests. You should have to get money from rewards and selling things. Talked to a guy -> quest completed -> you got money! Where did it come from?

As if there isn't so much money already.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Snak posted:

I don't like how you get coins from nowhere for completing quests. You should have to get money from rewards and selling things. Talked to a guy -> quest completed -> you got money! Where did it come from?

As if there isn't so much money already.

That is a bit odd. That being said, it doesn't take much to break the economy over your knee so it's not really that big a deal. If you're not rolling in crowns from pawning the stuff of your murder victims by level 10 you're still fairly cash-flush from contracts.

Actually, hmm...after this B&BB run I'm going to do a "cash only" DM run where Geralt's sole source of money will be witcher contracts and found coins. Kinda curious to see how the economy is when you're not selling off the three pounds of steel people choked on. Plus I'll get to appreciate the Cat School witcher more.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

OAquinas posted:

That is a bit odd. That being said, it doesn't take much to break the economy over your knee so it's not really that big a deal. If you're not rolling in crowns from pawning the stuff of your murder victims by level 10 you're still fairly cash-flush from contracts.

Actually, hmm...after this B&BB run I'm going to do a "cash only" DM run where Geralt's sole source of money will be witcher contracts and found coins. Kinda curious to see how the economy is when you're not selling off the three pounds of steel people choked on. Plus I'll get to appreciate the Cat School witcher more.

That's pretty much what I'm doing now, and I'm still rolling in tons of cash. I think I might have sold 1 or 2 swords just to get them out of my inventory early on.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

It's just really strange in some circumstances. Like I just had a witcher contract that I chose not to complete (told the guy to gently caress off, I let the monster live) and I still earned a hundred coins (50 for talking to the monster, and 50 for completing the quest). I think it's really jarring when an NPC is like "I'm not payen ye!" and then it pops up "you recieved 50 crowns!"

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Palpek posted:

In the meantime I listened to the advice given in this thread and it turned out that 1.07 changed the fullscreen setting to borderless window and when I changed it back to fullscreen the crashes stopped :iiam:

It appears that the game resets all user settings with each patch, so worth looking at that in the future too.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

bonds0097 posted:

It appears that the game resets all user settings with each patch, so worth looking at that in the future too.

This annoys the poo poo out of me because I'd done all kinds of tweaks to make it run halfway decent on my toaster and now it runs worse post patch and I'll never know if it's the patch or because I didn't get the settings quite right when I redid them.

If I'd known this would be the case, I'd have backed up the config file.

Edit: Incidentally can someone that knows more about computers than me explain why I experience no performance difference whatsoever from having textures on low instead of high?

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 24, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Sharmat posted:

This annoys the poo poo out of me because I'd done all kinds of tweaks to make it run halfway decent on my toaster and now it runs worse post patch and I'll never know if it's the patch or because I didn't get the settings quite right when I redid them.

Edit: Incidentally can someone that knows more about computers than me explain why I experience no performance difference whatsoever from having textures on low instead of high?

Textures are primarily a memory thing. If you have enough memory to run it on high, you won't get too much of a performance bump by reducing it. The part that really affects performance is level of detail (LoD) and draw distance--those add surfaces and objects that have to be processed.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The best thing I did for my performance was drastically lower the number of trees and how far away they render.

I've never seen any way to lower the draw distance in general though, which is a shame because I suspect it would help a lot and honestly I don't think I should be able to see Novigrad from Crow's Perch anyway, realistically.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Sharmat posted:

Because displaying textures is only one of the graphical things the game is doing, and whatever part of your system is doing that is powerful enough to handle it. It could be, for example, that your computer's RAM isn't up to snuff, so the game is having trouble keeping up with streaming in all the open world content as you run around, or your processor isn't fast enough to handle all the math going on behind the scenes, but none of that stuff has anything to do with displaying the textures, high quality or not.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

The best thing I did for my performance was drastically lower the number of trees and how far away they render.

I've never seen any way to lower the draw distance in general though, which is a shame because I suspect it would help a lot and honestly I don't think I should be able to see Novigrad from Crow's Perch anyway, realistically.

Why don't you think you should be able to see Novigrad from Crow's perch? I mean, it depends on how much you want to factor in the warped sense of scale. Crow's perch is elevated, so you would easily be able to see rooftops 30-40 miles away. Now, if Novigrad is "really" supposed to be hundreds of miles from Crows Perch, I get what you're saying.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Novigrad is supposed to be closer to 100 miles or more from Crow's Perch but the maps didn't even exist before the games so scale is hard to judge.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, but if you think about it, most of Great Britain is only about a hundred miles across. Poland is only ~400 miles across.

The scale is very hard to judge, because they use so many visual tricks to make the world seem bigger in the game.

edit:

V Which is why I think it's totally plausible that you would be able to see the rooftops of novigrad from a large portion of Velen. Velen's basically a swampy ditch with some farmland on it. There isn't even a proper lord there, much less more than one, so it makes sense that this isn't a very large portion of land.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 24, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Northern Kingdoms are actually supposed to be kind of a lovely backwater at the end of the world, really. Nilfgaard is like 4 or 5 times the size of all the Northern Realms combined.

Edit: That said I still think Novigrad is further away than that. Velen is an entire province and the southern part of it (which you don't get to see in game) actually has a pretty major city in Gors Velen. Though that city's prosperity was based almost entirely around having a huge population of artisans serving the mages at Thanedd and the sorceresses and trainees at Aretuza.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 24, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
My favorite minor character in this game is hands down Roche and it's just another great reason to play W2.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

JetsGuy posted:

My favorite minor character in this game is hands down Roche and it's just another great reason to play W2.
After playing Wild Hunt I could never go back to Witcher 2 because the combat is just miles better in 3.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

The Northern Kingdoms are actually supposed to be kind of a lovely backwater at the end of the world, really. Nilfgaard is like 4 or 5 times the size of all the Northern Realms combined.

Edit: That said I still think Novigrad is further away than that. Velen is an entire province and the southern part of it (which you don't get to see in game) actually has a pretty major city in Gors Velen. Though that city's prosperity was based almost entirely around having a huge population of artisans serving the mages at Thanedd and the sorceresses and trainees at Aretuza.

Okay but to be fair we're talking about the distance between Crow's Perch and Novigrad. I didn't know that there was more Velen and another big city south of the game area.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JetsGuy posted:

I feel like Roche is kind of overrated but I would never describe him as "a minor character".

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

At least they fixed the input bug in W2. Ugh. It only took them forever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I feel like Roche is kind of overrated but I would never describe him as "a minor character".

He's definitely a major character in W2, but so far I wouldn't call him a major character in W3. Yes he's an "important" and well developed character, but it's seems easy to avoid him all together if that's what you want to do.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well if you mean just in the context of TW3, no, he's not hugely important. I'd still call him a secondary character or something rather than a minor one. His role isn't just a cameo or a one-off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, when I think minor character, I think Trollolo, who helped guard boats. He's the best minor character.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Snak posted:

Yeah, when I think minor character, I think Trollolo, who helped guard boats. He's the best minor character.

No, he guarded boats guarding boats. it's an important distinction---he's management!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

No, he guarded boats guarding boats. it's an important distinction---he's management!

That's why I said helped. He made the fence. He's an engineer, a real problem solver. He also appropriated rations for himself. That's implementing a cost-saving measure. This guy is going places.

Trolls are the best characters.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's no better soldier in the Redanian army.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I dare any Redanian soldier to paint a better emblem.

The best part is already had the paint, so it wasn't even a fetch quest for me.

edit: God I hope they patch Skellige's Most Wanted soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

Well if you mean just in the context of TW3, no, he's not hugely important. I'd still call him a secondary character or something rather than a minor one. His role isn't just a cameo or a one-off.

Fair enough, secondary character then.

Still, I have to consider buying W2 now...

Bort Bortles posted:

After playing Wild Hunt I could never go back to Witcher 2 because the combat is just miles better in 3.

though poo poo like this gives me pause. If it's going to be frustrating, I dunno...

Snak posted:

I dare any Redanian soldier to paint a better emblem.

The best part is already had the paint, so it wasn't even a fetch quest for me.

Yeah I think the Pellar had it? I remember seeing it in his stock nad it said "needed for a quest" so I was like "eh, gently caress it, I'll buy it now".