Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SergZpartan posted:

So after tanking for far too many PuGs I've come to the conclusion that....
While people say MCH has crap DPS, and wailing on a dummy for a DPS check is fine, it fails to account for tanking the floor for half the fight OR fighting with full rez sickness.
Meaning DRG still proudly holds the 'Worst DPS" title.

drg owns, it also has the absolute tightest rotation that is also dependent on positionals that you dont even know until they proc with a super narrow window to actually get them off if you want to launch of a Geirskogul at the end of your 1,2,3 finisher without losing the BOD effect before you can refresh it. Its going to take a lot of people a while to figure out how to do that while not standing in the stuff, but anyone who played drg ok before and can competently play ninja as well should adapt pretty quick. Its not suprising that pubs are having an awful time with it, the first boss of fractal is a great practice arena for it though. FFXIV needs like a boss danger room where you can practice rotations against something that actually requires movement and reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Forward_Bee posted:

Should I take up Weaving?

Despite the nay-saying I had a good experience taking crafting in 2.0 up to the point where I could HQ 2-star items without issues and never bothered to aim for 3/4-star stuff, and was perfectly happy being able to make my own food, potions, spiritbond gear, and repairs. And the occasional other item.

If you dislike the red scrip system, you can stop short of it and still be able to make all of the currently-relevant food, potions, and DoW/M gear. It seems the -only- current point of getting involved in red scrips is to more easily craft 2-star stuff, which seems to be (almost) exclusively oriented towards crafters and gatherers unless I am missing something key.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I'm gonna ask this again and maybe somebody knows now: How the gently caress am I supposed to tell whether to use Precision or Powerful hookset? A lot of the times that information is not listed on the terrible Fishing website, and there is seemingly no way to tell in game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dragoon owns and straight up beasting at the moment. Avoiding poo poo while continuing to DPS isn't hard especially since you've got 3 movement skills. Take resin bombs on A1S. Elusive jump is up for almost every one to get back to the oppressor to continue stabbing. People don't use that skill enough.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Poultron posted:

I'm gonna ask this again and maybe somebody knows now: How the gently caress am I supposed to tell whether to use Precision or Powerful hookset? A lot of the times that information is not listed on the terrible Fishing website, and there is seemingly no way to tell in game.

All I've heard is to use Precision Hookset on a normal/weak pull and Powerful Hookset on a strong pull. I haven't fished long enough to be able to distinguish them very well.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dragoon owns and straight up beasting at the moment. Avoiding poo poo while continuing to DPS isn't hard especially since you've got 3 movement skills. Take resin bombs on A1S. Elusive jump is up for almost every one to get back to the oppressor to continue stabbing. People don't use that skill enough.

It's also great for racing the Bard to see who can smash themselves into the deathwalls in T13 first

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rei_ posted:

It's also great for racing the Bard to see who can smash themselves into the deathwalls in T13 first

Now we have whalex.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

When I realized I need 350 blue scrip to finish my WVR 60 quest I think I died inside a bit. I guess it's time to level CUL for easy turn-ins?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

All I've heard is to use Precision Hookset on a normal/weak pull and Powerful Hookset on a strong pull. I haven't fished long enough to be able to distinguish them very well.

I think it's Precision for weak only, and Powerful for normal/strong. Weak and normal can be a little tricky to distinguish from each other unless you're using a controller (vibration difference is much clearer). Strong is goddamn obvious.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Scrubs, I've been elusive jump-ing off platforms since titan

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vil posted:

I think it's Precision for weak only, and Powerful for normal/strong. Weak and normal can be a little tricky to distinguish from each other unless you're using a controller (vibration difference is much clearer). Strong is goddamn obvious.

Yeah. Listening carefully to the sound effect helps, but a controller with vibration on is the easiest way. One tug/sound - Precision. Two tugs/sounds or the strong animation - Powerful.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am leveling MCH on the side currently because I find the class fun, even if it is not the best DPS. However, at least in the 30s, I have been having the problem of running out of TP in long fights. Am I doing something wrong? I refresh hot shot and lead shot when appropriate, and use rapid fire when it is up.

My highest level job is WAR, where if you are running out of TP then you are doing something very wrong, so I don't know if this is normal for physical DPS classes.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I am leveling MCH on the side currently because I find the class fun, even if it is not the best DPS. However, at least in the 30s, I have been having the problem of running out of TP in long fights. Am I doing something wrong? I refresh hot shot and lead shot when appropriate, and use rapid fire when it is up.

My highest level job is WAR, where if you are running out of TP then you are doing something very wrong, so I don't know if this is normal for physical DPS classes.

quick reload also invigorate

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

kharaa posted:

quick reload also invigorate

Looks like I need to level DRG for a bit then :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rei_ posted:

I think DRG is still locked in that eternal battle with monk for who has to tunnel hard enough on rotations trying to beat the other one while dying to mechanics

What's odd for me is this is how I feel about PLD vs WAR and especially DRK

Like I want to level WAR up but then I remembered how hard it was for me to pay enough attention to keep up Storm's Eye and Storm's Path and Fracture oh and not die to everything because you didn't have IB up and ready at the right time, and then I realized with Fell Cleave tempting away my stacks that's just gonna get even worse

Like I can do MNK pretty drat well without tunnel visioning myself--maybe not AS static level, quite, but close--but tanking as WAR or DRK just takes a lot out of me, and that's without HW abilities in WAR's case :smith:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 24, 2015

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Poultron posted:

Hear... Feel... See...

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
well, never use fracture ever for starters. It kills gains

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Storms Eye/Storms Path is easy because honestly you're never doing all three plus an enmity combo at the same time. If you're OT you can afford to cycle both, or pick one and Butchers Block for a bit of extra damage. If you're MT you're picking one and cycling it with Butchers Block. Like the WAR rotation really has not changed in 3.0 and that's a good thing, it's just that your opener has changed and what you can do with your stacks once you have them has changed. Then you get into things like optimizing a rotation for things like 3xFell Cleave (which isnt really that hard to do on every single berserk once you realize the trick). WAR's in a real good place, and it's probably the most satisfying job in the game right now (to me, personally).

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 24, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hate to ask, but how do you do 3xFell Cleave? I only know how to do it twice consecutively.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

do two full combos, then get to heavy swing and then inner release/berserk, fell cleave, raw int (and/or vengeance depending on skillspeed) then finish your combo, another combo, fell cleave, infuriate, fell cleave. If your skillspeed is high enough and you used both raw int and vengeance you have room for another GCD before you hit pacify, drop a fracture so you still have damage ticking while pacified.

Normally you'll pacify right as the last fell cleave goes off, however.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 24, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Unlucky7 posted:

I hate to ask, but how do you do 3xFell Cleave? I only know how to do it twice consecutively.

Pre-built stacks + infuriate + stacks built during the beserk buff. Depending on your skill speed you'll have to pop at least one wrath giving CD (Veng/Raw Intuition).

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's like, the best use for Raw Intuition, honestly

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Basically you take advantage of Vengeance and Raw Intuition also giving +1 stack, as well as prepping a combo so you only need to use one Heavy Swing during Berserk. Obviously you don't do this if you're gonna need them for actual mitigation purposes. For example, here's one option, probably not optimized as well as it could be.

Prep: Get things off cooldown, build up 3-5 stacks of Abandon, get Maim and Storm's Eye up, and for best results try to get the back to back Fell Cleaves in during a Trick Attack and/or boss vulnerability like Ravana's liberation charge-up.

1. Heavy Swing
1.5. Internal Release
2. Maim/Skull Sunder (4-5 stacks)
2.5. Berserk (5 stacks)
3. Fell Cleave #1
3.5. Infuriate (5 stacks)
4. Fell Cleave #2
4.5. Brutal Swing
5. Storm's Eye/Storm's Path/Butcher's Block (1 stack)
5.5. Mercy Stroke (if applicable)
6. Fracture
6.5. Vengeance (2 stacks)
7. Heavy Swing
7.5. Raw Inutition (3 stacks)
8. Maim/Skull Sunder (4 stacks)
9. Storm's Eye/Storm's Path/Butcher's Block (5 stacks)
10. Fell Cleave #3

That's for an 8-GCD Berserk. If you can reliably 9-GCD it, then move the Berserk back a step so it gets a Maim/Skull Sunder (rather than the Heavy Swing that would otherwise follow Fell Cleave #3). If you can't reliably 9-GCD it, then don't, because it's better to get a berserked Fell Cleave than a berserked Maim/Skull Sunder.

Alternatively, 9-GCD lets you do the triple Fell Cleave + Fracture, without needing Vengeance to be up.

Vil fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 24, 2015

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So WHM healing is super straighforward where I am (level 43) and it seems like there aren't a ton more abilities left for me to unlock, does it stay basically the same in end game? Not that I mind really, but it seems like it's basically all about using cure in a mana efficient way and nothing else

Also, should I level Arcanist to 30 or something the same way you would a subjob in FFXI or is leaving it at 15 until I hit cap not really a problem

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

WHM has heals that are incredibly useful situationally (Cure 3), but at 50 is pretty straightforward. It opens up a great deal from 50-60.

You may want Eye for an Eye from Arcanist 34, but it's not nearly as essentially as say, Swiftcast, because you'll likely be with a Scholar, Black Mage or Summoner who can throw it out as well.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nuru posted:

WHM has heals that are incredibly useful situationally (Cure 3), but at 50 is pretty straightforward. It opens up a great deal from 50-60.

You may want Eye for an Eye from Arcanist 34, but it's not nearly as essentially as say, Swiftcast, because you'll likely be with a Scholar, Black Mage or Summoner who can throw it out as well.

Cool, I'll focus on hitting cap and then worry about arcanist. Also just for confirmation, I've been putting all my attribute points into mind, that's the right thing to do right

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Yes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

See maybe someone told me this before and I never noticed or I just never learned it, but

Rei_ posted:

Storms Eye/Storms Path is easy because honestly you're never doing all three plus an enmity combo at the same time.

that's probably the #1 thing I wish I'd known in ARR at 50. I spent so much time cycling all three combos and getting frustrated 'cos they had so much downtime 'cos I was bad :saddowns:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Hi everyone, my name is Farg and I've mained warrior since launch and I just found out vengeance gives stacks of wrath

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Farg posted:

well, never use fracture ever for starters. It kills gains

Actually now I'm beginning to wonder if this is unironically true. I mean yes Fracture is huge potency per GCD taken on its own (isn't it like 400? :stare:), and I guess it should be used during cooldowns if you can, but it doesn't contribute to building stacks, so um

Master Warriors please help :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 24, 2015

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Fell Cleave has 500 potency for 5 stacks, so each stack is technically 100 potency. Fracture is 300 overall, always fracture.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
welp, if roulette frontlines throws you into a level 50 frontline and you swap to a sub 60 dps to balance out your 4 healer team, you don't get your esoterics/law. :rip:

otoh, mch pvp owns as hard as I expected and I REALLY need to get it to 60. Smart wildfire usage is guaranteed healer/dps frags or node kills.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Eight-Six posted:

Fell Cleave has 500 potency for 5 stacks, so each stack is technically 100 potency. Fracture is 300 overall, always fracture.

You're not replacing a 0 potency attack with Fracture, though - you're replacing an attack worth 2/3 a Wrath stack (66.7 potency) worth between 197 (Storm's Eye) and 210 (Butcher's Block) potency. The answer is still yes (it's about 40 potency gained), but it's not as large as you're suggesting.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
[13:20](Machuca Papa) Lets pound the furry bastards

:yikes:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Niton posted:

You're not replacing a 0 potency attack with Fracture, though - you're replacing an attack worth 2/3 a Wrath stack (66.7 potency) worth between 197 (Storm's Eye) and 210 (Butcher's Block) potency. The answer is still yes (it's about 40 potency gained), but it's not as large as you're suggesting.

When arguing that a main job WAR should use fracture, I decided to omit some details because it was Good Enough

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How do I get the fat burd?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirPhoebos posted:

How do I get the fat burd?

Upgrade to the ARR Collectors Edition

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Alternatively, rack up 3,000 commendations and you get a fat burd with a miter.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Rei_ posted:

It's like, the best use for Raw Intuition, honestly

While true, it's very satisfying to use on the bosses that do a flurry of physical attacks on you :v:

Also I generally:

Start: get at least four stacks, and make sure maim and storm's eye is up, heavy swing
Burst hard: berserk/internal release, cleave, infuriate, cleave
Build third cleave: pop vengence and raw intuition over the next couple steps of maim, storm's eye, heavy swing, skull sunder,
Finish: fell cleave, fracture or butcher's block depending on how dead the target is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rei_ posted:

Storms Eye/Storms Path is easy because honestly you're never doing all three plus an enmity combo at the same time. If you're OT you can afford to cycle both, or pick one and Butchers Block for a bit of extra damage. If you're MT you're picking one and cycling it with Butchers Block. Like the WAR rotation really has not changed in 3.0 and that's a good thing, it's just that your opener has changed and what you can do with your stacks once you have them has changed. Then you get into things like optimizing a rotation for things like 3xFell Cleave (which isnt really that hard to do on every single berserk once you realize the trick). WAR's in a real good place, and it's probably the most satisfying job in the game right now (to me, personally).

To expand on this:

Threat combo: (HT, SS, BB) 630 Potency, 2390 Enmity.
Path combo: (HT, Maim, SP) 590 Potency, 590 Enmity. Increases your damage (and threat) by 20%. Heals you for a small amount. Debuffs all damage dealt by the target by 10%. (All damage, not just physical.)
Eye combo: (HT, Maim, SE) 610 Potency, 610 Enmity. Increases your damage (and threat) by 20%. Increases slashing damage taken by the target.

Pick which combos you use based on what needs to be done. If there's a Ninja in the party, well, you can completely forget about using Eye at all, since it is more imperative that they get it up with their first combo rather than wait for you.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 24, 2015

• Locked thread