Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Trollhawke posted:

Don't worry, it'll be fine. I mean, how hard can it be just introducing yourself and making the arrangements?

I'm a Londoner. We're an anti-social lot. I've managed to rearrange for delivery to my local post office so hopefully this should be resolved come Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Churchill is now shipping! I'm looking forward to this one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Churchill is now shipping! I'm looking forward to this one.

I clicked on the link and was transported to the late 80's. What gives?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Just keeping step with the rest of wargaming.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Consimworld's forum is some incomprehensible mess that I've never managed to figure out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Setup for my EotS game tomorrow:

Here are the reinforcements, with the japanese reinfs peeking out behind the stacks of allied ones :suicide:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Setup for my EotS game tomorrow:

Here are the reinforcements, with the japanese reinfs peeking out behind the stacks of allied ones :suicide:

Is your game with a new guy? IAI 1 is the turn that breaks all the rules.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Is your game with a new guy? IAI 1 is the turn that breaks all the rules.

But it's hella thematic.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I set up for IAI but if he doesn't want to to do that we can change to '42 scenario. I did want to do Pearl Harbour as well.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, I set up for IAI but if he doesn't want to to do that we can change to '42 scenario. I did want to do Pearl Harbour as well.

IIRC PEarl Harbor is basically a roll to see if MD/CA lives.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah of course, but I still wanna go through it because it's pretty cool. Still, if he doesn't want me to do IAI I'll just use the '42 setup instead.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played ten turns of EotS today, here are some pictures:

End of turn 2:

My conquest of the DEI was going slowly. I had managed to destroy most of the air cover, take Rangoon and Wake Island, but ABDA was present in Celebes and that would be a thorn for future attacks. The Kido Butai was more or less intact though.

End of turn 3:

ABDA had been taken out and the Aussies in Java are OOS, but the conquest of DEI still hasn't been completed. I had been pushed back to Bangkok as well, although I have now take Malaya. Phillipines haven't been taken over yet either.

End of turn 4 (or 5 I don't remember):

Finished the invasion of DEI/Phillipines, pushed back the UK in CBI, have not attempted the conquest of New Guinea since it too late. Off to the side, the KB manages to destroy every single enemy CV and I lose Rabaul from constant air attacks.

End of I don't know which turn:

I've been pushed out of the Marshal Islands but the KB is still alive and being a pain in the rear end. I'm still waiting for a chance to strike back, rather than invade anything. I have pushed the Commonwealth troops back to Rangoon though.

Celebes has been retaken with an Island hopping campaign and Truk has been taken as well. Borneo has been counter-invaded and the situation in the DEI is grim.

End of turn 10 when we called the game:

KB has been completely destroyed: I don't have a single naval unit left in the entire game. DEI is pretty much gone and the Philippines have been retaken. He needs to blockade Japan or invade it in two turns: could be tricky for him. We called it then so the actual victor is a mystery. An excellent game though!

I did notice some small peeling on my map though which was annoying and we got a couple of rules wrong.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You asked a strategy question, Tekopo- US Marine divisions and brigades (XX and X) do not give political will for being destroyed. The game is kind of suggesting that approach when they say you can't use US corps units(the army units) alone when invading one hex islands. (EDIT: I'm wrong, Marine XX divisions do count, but this can only happen once per turn.)

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 27, 2015

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Wow, looks like an intense game of EotS Tekopo, just one question, it seems you were playing the japanese but the allied player basically crunched your entire navy, correct? Is this a common thing in the game or just bad luck? Basically, I am asking if the defeat of japan is a foregone conclusion in EotS.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr.Misfit posted:

Wow, looks like an intense game of EotS Tekopo, just one question, it seems you were playing the japanese but the allied player basically crunched your entire navy, correct? Is this a common thing in the game or just bad luck? Basically, I am asking if the defeat of japan is a foregone conclusion in EotS.

This is actually a pretty bad situation for the US player. If he does not capture every hex in Japan by the end of turn 12, Japan wins. The Kido Butai was actually killed too late in that game- it's not meant to make it through the whole game when the US is getting essexes every turn. There are way too many planes on the board for turn 11, and the Allied player will be lucky to have troops on Japan and all the planes gone for turn 12.

There are other Allied victory conditions, but they involve successful strategic bombing attacks on Japan for four straight turns, a US b29 being in range of Tokyo, and the Japanese holding 0 or 1 resource hex. The other non-invasion victory involves the US cutting Japan off from all resource hexes via the supply rules for three straight turns. Given the Allied position starting turn 11, neither of these are viable.

There's still significant risks even with US troops in japan. All completely destroyed US corps are worth Political Will points, though reducing the Japanese resource hex count to 3 or below will give the US a little bit of extra political will.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 27, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

How is Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage? As cool as it sounds? Clunky? Showing its age?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
All told it looks like the Japanese player managed to beat the historical outcome and at least didn't lose Kido Butai as early as the Japanese did.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I just wish there were a place in the US to get Raaco boxes for less than like... $75 per box.

I've been doing some searching and I found some cool storage boxes that aren't RAACO, aren't $120+ for a box, AND are sold/shipped in NA.

http://www.ikaswebshop.com/hobpacadostn.html

Ordered a case from them with the GG configuration, will see how it performs as I should be getting my corner cutter around the same time it shows up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mr.Misfit posted:

Having your entire navy crushed as the Japanese is entirely part of the game and as panzeh said, I actually had a viable Kido Butai for way too long. The game sorts of model "fleet in being" type mind sets since the strategical freedom of your actions is severely curtailed if the enemy still has a viable fleet. I actually at one point could have invaded midway or even Hawaii but logistically it would have been difficult and it would have gone against my "turtle up and react" strategy. His conquest of the DEI and general progress of war was severely limited as long as the KB was still alive.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Got a message from my opponent: apparently he spent the entire ride back home from mine thinking up strategies so that's a plus for the game in my book!

I think we were both really amazed at how well the game models the war. The operational tempo feels right, the use of SIGINT is really extremely good and allows your fleet to project a zone of control that just isn't usually modeled well in most PTO games. The game gives utmost importance to CVs and air forces: as long as you have an airforce you can function, but as soon as it gets knocked out you are in deep trouble. The card play is very good and as I've said before, some 1 Ops cards are absolutely crucial to perform localized attacks. The attack on the DEI would have gone a lot worse for the Allies if I could have reacted against them using the KB, but I just didn't have the ability while still being able to defend Centpac. The game is truly worth the time and effort to learn and play.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mr.Misfit posted:

Another thing, let's do a direct comparison.

This is the entire japanese fleet:
CV: 4
CVL: 5
BB: 4
CA: 4
CL: 1
APD: 1

Also all of 3 naval replacements (also note that most ships have different stats).

This is the American fleet:

CV: 10
CVL: 4
CVE: 4
BB: 8
BC: 1
DD: 1

And 17 naval replacements as long as they hold Hawaii.

This doesn't include the Commonwealth (and dutch, which only has a single CA) fleet:

CV: 2
CVL: 1
BB: 3

And 3 naval replacements.

Now, this isn't completely fair since at DD US Asia, CA US Asia, BB MD/CA, CA N. Orleans and CA Dutch tend to die before the US can really do anything with them, but still, the US has a significant advantage in terms of ships throughout the game and in the end they can just afford to hammer the Kido Butai since even if they take losses, they have another full-stack they can use. The situation with Land Based Air is also similar, with the US/Commonwealth having tons of replacable units (they get 5 air replacements PER TURN) while the Japanese have 0 air replacements unless they use a card. The Japanese will collapse, it's just a matter of how quickly they collapse.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
This thread and the GMT 500 geeklist are loving dangerous. I can't see not backing Sekigahara and one of the new COINs (thinkin Falling Sky at the moment).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
My copy of Churchill just came in, hell yea.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So, Time of Troubles. Sorry for this update being somewhat late - it's difficult to coordinate your free time when working in tandem, and we ran into some... technical difficulties with Tikhomir. Still, here's some good ol' counter-pushin' from straight from the grim darkness of the XVII century.

It is the spring of 1605, (most probably) the last year of reign of Tsar Boris Godunov. We prepare for the game by getting into the right mood.

Despite being thematically appropriate, vodka is the shittiest drink imaginable, so we settled for whisky and some Slavic moonshine.

At the beginning of each year, player draw up to eight cards, plus one from their faction deck. Then the players each roll a die to set turn order. Shuyskiys threw highest, so the play begins with them, continuing in clockwise order.

At the beginning of each season, each faction whose leader or character has an Administrator trait draws an additional card. Considering that other player draw only on a new year's eve, this is a major, 50%, card advantage. Right now, both Polish and Rebel military leaders are eligible.

You shall have no other kings before me.

Before bashing armies at each others, each seasonal turn opens with a political phase, which allows for playing of up to two event cards per player (not counting the numerous instant effect cards) and a bunch of neat legitimacy-related stuff.

Шуйские play their streltsy recruitment card and recruit an отряд.

An otryad is what I think is just an independently operating unit. It's a unit with really neat stats equal to a German mercenary regiment with an added gimmick of being able to operate as a one-counter military unit, battlin', siegin' and whatnot. Additionaly, due to its small size it is blessed with exceptional strategic agility. Tikhomir's line of thinking was just to arm up, with the otryad providing a small safety net in case something happens to commander Mstislavskiy.

The big number on the autoshape scroll is the maximum amount of units a leader can command.

Following the cardplay, a player can roll on a table to randomly take control of cities. There are separate tables for various regions, so one can somewhat focus their efforts. Each roll on the table costs certain amount of points and one can mix and match the rolls until he reaches his legitimacy points threshold.

It's mostly 3 legitimacy points per roll, with exception of the more VP-heavy Volga region and an extra-expensive column allowing you to flip strongholds without the need to bother with sieges.

Shuyskiys roll twice on the North-Eastern region, and lo and behold, they gain control of Kolomna and Suzdal, each worth 1 VP.

This is pretty loving wierd actually, since Kolomna is a stronghold and these are supposed to go on a particular super-expensive table. I suppose it was historically very traitorous or something?

Near the end of one's political phase, leader's take control of non-stronghold areas they occupy, but I consciusly gloss it over most of the time. The initiative passes to the Moscow player, who doesn't gently caress around and immediately plays Death and Wise Advice.

Death kills a target leader or character on a 5+ roll. Tikhomir targets the Polish pretender, False Dmitry - not only is he the biggest political and military threat to the crown, but also the loss of the sole military leader would pretty much take Poland out of the game until the 1609 intervention. Alas, the roll fails.

The other card allows the player to immediately draw three more cards and play them immediately, if he so wishes. Tikhomir keeps them in hand, but nevertheless smiles menacingly.

Lacking much in terms of ides, Tikhomir used his legitimacy to roll twice on the North-Eastern region, to possibly reclaim Shuyskiys gains, preferably the stronghold of Kolomna. He failed one of his rolls and took neutral Suzdal, worth 1 VP, with the other one.

Some photos might be blurry or dumbly framed due to general drunkenness. Sorry.

Poles simply build up, using cards to immediately gain a winged hussar regiment and two Cossack units. Then, deeming much of their hand unplayable, they dump four cards.

One can discard cards to draw new ones, at a 2:1 ratio.

Owing to winged hussar malus to legitimacy, Poland's legitimacy drops just below the ability to roll on the mind control conversion by legitimacy table. Perhaps I had gone for them too early?

The first Noble card is fairly innocuous - Reliable Guards protects the noble leader, Istoma Pashkov, from all sorts of nasty event cards for the duration of two seasons. The other - Campaign - allows to roll three dice and use the combined result to muster units. I roll 10 and minmax a regiment of noble cavalry and two Cossack cavalry regiments.

Cossacks come in foot and mounted variety, fully interchangeable for purposes of recruitment. I went for cavalry this time to complement the nobles and build a fairly balanced fighting force.

Yet these cards are followed by an instant faction event - Assassin Dispatched, marking Tsar Godunov for death on a roll of 4+. Tikhomir panics and throws down a counterspell Spy. This gets countered by Noble's own Spy, which is actually illegal.

Quite annoyingly, the Spy cancels everything except another Spy, and there is another card in the deck - Dagger in the Back, whose sole effect is to counter Spies. Thankfully, the Poles have one and don't mind Tsar biting the dust at all.

The dice are rolled and the Assassin succeeds!

With neither 6 VP bonus for having a Tsar, nor control of neutral strongholds, Moscow faction's lead became precariously small.

With not enough legimitacy for corruption in the name of Chaos dice rollin', initiative passes to the Rebels, who go straight for the throat.

The first event, Switching Camps allows to straight up steal a character from an other player on a 5+ roll. Rebels target Ivan Vorotynsky (Shuyskyi faction) to level the legitimacy field. They succeed and - somewhat surprisingly - emerge as top players in the legitimacy game. I begin to seriously ponder joining the race to the Moscow, before Rebel legitimacy gets poisoned, stabbed and intrigued into oblivion.

The other card - Black Intrigue, allows to permanently remove two discarded cards from the game. Since it specifically says it can target faction cards (they return to the faction deck at the beginning of each year), I target Shuyskiys' strelky conscription and Polish mustering of winged hussars. Not only are they good cards, but given high reliance on conditional one-off events in these two decks, this is pretty much a direct reduction of the hand size most of the time.

A roll on the more expensive Volga table nets me a 2 VP town of Uglich.

It's basically like Age of Empires, where your priests chant the enemy into submission.

With politics out of the way, we begin the operational phase. Players activate each of their leaders and move up to two spaces. Three in case of pure cavalry army, one if you haul artillery.

Shuyskiys have a hand filled with useful battle events and so they decide to try and rush lightly-defended Moscow before other players arrive from the outer rim. Vasily Golitsyn, city's defender is outmatched, both in terms of forces and strategic rating, relevant for the roll to escape battle. Not willing to take his chances, Tikhomir chose to hide within the walls of Moscow.

During his own turn, Golitsyn forfeits his move to frantically recruit units (they enter the town via sewers or something). To recruit units, one rolls a die (obviously) and adds one for each 4 VPs he has - this has sense, since VPs in this game represent primarily territorial control and popular support, and also further fuels the King of the Hill dynamic. Vasiliy ends recruiting a single unit of streltsy.

Moscow faction's other leader, Petr Basmanov, runs to the rescue, but ends his move one area short of his target. The other players simply crawl towards Moscow, with Nobles playing Forced March event to reach the fortress of Tula.

To be continued in a doublepost.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I clicked on the link and was transported to the late 80's. What gives?

why isn't this the thread title?

Picked up Close Action volume 1 on a whim today and when I opened up the rulebook to flip through it I realised the scope of what I had picked up.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

4outof5 posted:

why isn't this the thread title?

Picked up Close Action volume 1 on a whim today and when I opened up the rulebook to flip through it I realised the scope of what I had picked up.

Are those boats? That's amazing. You kind of need that scope for a grand naval battle.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The Summer turn began with both of us semi-drunkenly forgetting to roll for initiative again and not bothering to fix this later on. Poles and Rebels drew a card due to their administrative bonus, and the Shuyskis made their play.

The Baccanal Life instant event limits a target faction to playing just one card during the coming political phase. Shuyskis choose the Moscow faction, to contain possibly trickery. They achieve nothing on the legitimacy roll.

Muscovite Tikhomir grits his teeth and simply drops mustering of the elite Moscow streltrsy - no time to get fancy right now. They manage to legit-convert Kostroma (1 VP).

Poland, wary of the Rebels growing into direct threat if they manage to make a claim for the throne, attempts to doxx Ivan Vorotynsky as a filthy Catholic to tank his reputation. Sadly, I flub the required roll and the accusations are swiftly disproven.

The Nobles play no cards, but instead roll a die to see if the fortress they occupy relented to the prolonged siege - they ace the 5+ roll and claim the stronghold as theirs.

Finally, the Rebels, uh, rebel. On a 3+ roll (can you spot a pattern here?) 1d6 unoccupied non-stronghold cities of their choice join the Rebel side. I max the rolls and spread the yellow banners all across the river Volga.

I minmax the gently caress out of the 6 control tokens I get, gaining 8 VPs, 2 Legitimacy Points (grabbed the renegade shaolin monks of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius), while at the same time stealing a point from both Shuyskyis and Muscovites.

As a faction with most legitimacy points, the Rebels can - and gladly do - call for establishing a pretender. Can you guess what sort of die roll is involved?

Each faction rolld 1d6, adding their legitimacy to the result. The player with the highest result can name a character or leader he controls with two or more legitimacy a pretender to the throne. The rebels smash whatever kind of open mike this things were settled at, rolling a natural six while in the lead.

Actually, the photo depicts a wrong pretender.

The unsinkable Vorotynsky becomes the next pretender and is transported to an army's retinue so that everyone can gently caress him up even easier.

As the Summer operational phase begins, we get to the crux of the ballsyness of Shuyskiys Moscow Blitz. You see, the capital is not one of the strongholds, but one of the big-rear end loving strongholds. To even begin thinking about establishing a siege, one has to establish a proper artillery park or whatever they used in XVII century Russia. This takes place in form of mustering a Siege token, just as one would muster a unit. At six point cost, it is somewhat unreliable without a proper VP base.

Tikhomir would succeed on a 5+ - he didn't - but he held a Fortune card, allowing for a reroll, which he wasted to fail another time.

The Muscovites followed this up with a one-two punch of having Golitsyn recruit a last-minute regiment of noble and Cossack cavalry each, and Basmanov closing in for the kill.

The combat system is something I like a lot in this game, adding a lot of flavor, space to differentiate units and allow for tinkering with force composition with a minimum rules overhead. At its heart it is the classic firepower CRT, with the twist being that each unit is rated for their Fire (left number) and Shock (right number) ability.

The combat takes place over a series of rounds, until one side surrenders or is wiped out. Each round begins with sides attacking on the Fire table, followed by a Shock attack. Ranged troops get the advantage of first strike, while Shock tends to inflict overall higher casualties, as well as gives access to the dreaded !!! result, also known as the piledriver of kings.

The players play their battle events. Muscovites get Ostrogs out, enabling them to soak up 1d6 casualties. However, it requires at least half of the army to be foot soldiers, so I call Tikhomir out for the cheat he is and make him take the card back. Shuyskis use an Experienced Advisor event to exchange any number of cards for a new one - not a good trade with just one card discarded, but it's a panic draw. Sadly, the card drawn is not immediately useful.

Both players roll a die, adding their commander's tactical rating to determine who has the tactical advantage. Fedor Mstislavky, of the Shuysky faction, wins and can choose either Fire or Shock phase, during which his forces will inflict damage before the enemy, rather than simultaneously.

Fedor chose to go first in the Fire phase, and immediately lays down the Wagon Fort card, ensuring that the next two combat rounds consist solely of the Fire phase. Tricky!

The troops fire and break three regiments nearly instantly. Muscovites choose to sacrifice their cavalry, given its effectiveness is heavily reduced right now. Being well above maxed out, they return fire inflicting three casualties of their own. Mstislavsky's army enters the second combat round clinging to the highest CRT column by a single strength point. Owing to high rolls, both sides inflict three casualties again.

Faced with his army melting down before his very own eyes, Mstislavsky surrenders. Victors gain a VP for winning the battle. The loser and his surviving soldiers are removed to the turn track.

This is Smuta, so it sure won't be as fuckery-less as just waiting two turns for him to return.

Tikhomir shared that he had some more ballsy tricks up his sleeve: were more of his forces to survive, he hoped to goad the enemy into soaking damage onto cavalrymen only to play Fierce Melee to double the Shock Phase in the third round, and hopefully gain three cards worth of Spoils.

Back in the south, Poles slowly creep up towards Moscow. Being a pure cavalry force, they could have reached the city in two turns, but chose to take their time and stay out of the mosh pit. The Nobles stick to their Tula fortress and recruit a single Cossack regiment. The Rebels catch up, hot on their heels...

... Only to be surprised by Poles playing Interception! Following a brief strategy rating-modified dice-off, False Dmitry moves to the adjacent area, initiating battle.

Rebels try to even the odds, by dropping two events: instantly mustering a streltsy regiment and dissolving 1d6 units in opposing army. I roll one, so only a lone Cossack regiment deserts.

It's tomato sauce. Scout's honour.

Dmitry wins the tactical advantage and chooses the Fire Phase - Bolotnikov got nothing on the Fire Phase, so timing doesn't matter there. Both sides manage to reduce the opponent by two Cossack regiments, but then Dmitry is left to reign free in the Shock Phase. He rolls one, but with the +1 die roll bonus for having winged hussars in his army, he manages to inflict further two casualties.

This is more than Bolotnikov can stand, so the Rebel leader withdraws to the safety of the turn track. Dmitry gains a victory point and roars a mighty roar. Thus ends the summer campaign.

While originally I planned to write this game up in eight yearly updates, Tikhomir had to call it quits early.

For fucks sake, Tikhomir.

Still, if anyone's interested, here's the summary of today's game:

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 28, 2015

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Lord Frisk posted:

Are those boats? That's amazing. You kind of need that scope for a grand naval battle.

each of those boats has it's own rpg character sheet

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Some of the things we got wrong in our game of EotS, quoting here so people know some of the more easily missed rules:

"What we missed is that the ground unit movement is not escorted (that means that both the naval unit and ground unit started their movement from the same location) and the enemy has naval units in Amphibious Landing hex, the ground unit is forced back and takes a step loss.
Oh also, another biggy is that units that are within activation range of an HQ (regardless of enemy AZOI, regardless if the HQ is supply-eligible or not) cannot lose their last step. The only lose it if they are not within activation range of an HQ (although you have to have the correct side).
And one last one (I swear): special reaction is a separate roll. So you have a roll to change the intelligence condition (or even use a card to change the intelligence condition) and then you roll separately for each Special Reaction hex, using the intelligence roll/modifier. Of course, some offensives don't allow for this."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Oh also, another biggy is that units that are within activation range of an HQ (regardless of enemy AZOI, regardless if the HQ is supply-eligible or not) cannot lose their last step. The only lose it if they are not within activation range of an HQ (although you have to have the correct side).

Not knowing a single thing about EotS rules, what is the reasoning behind that? It sounds somewhat weird.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Finally got my cop of Eots. Yup, I've got peely corners as well. Fixed it with suplerglue, but it looks fugly. Nothing I can't live with though. Looking forward to playing it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

Finally got my cop of Eots. Yup, I've got peely corners as well. Fixed it with suplerglue, but it looks fugly. Nothing I can't live with though. Looking forward to playing it.

I've heard stories of GMT replacing peoples' peeling maps. Might be worth an email.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lichtenstein posted:

Not knowing a single thing about EotS rules, what is the reasoning behind that? It sounds somewhat weird.

It's for attrition due to being out of supply in the supply phase, not a general rule (that context is pretty important)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can give a guess: no matter what happens, some supply ships will be able to get through to at least feed the troops if nothing else, which is really the only thing you need if you can't do offensive operations anyway, or move in any way (which being in an enemy AZOI would prevent you from doing anyway). Basically a ground unit in that situation can't attack enemy units, can't move out of that situation using naval movement, can't even move to a nearby ground hex. It's combat effectiveness deteriorates, but it is not removed altogether due to the aforementioned supply/local foraging etc. Once the HQ is gone, however, even that meager intrinsic 'supply' is gone and therefore the piece is removed.

That's just speculation, you would have to ask Mark Herman if that's the actual reason for the rule.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

blackmongoose posted:

It's for attrition due to being out of supply in the supply phase, not a general rule (that context is pretty important)
And oh yeah, this too, should have probably mentioned it.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

tomdidiot posted:

Still waiting for mine. Local games stores got it on friday though so it should be here soon. (I hope?)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I had some light peeling and used some glue to stick it back. It can be noticed since the flap folded but it sticks down nice now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ugh I'm regretting buying Field Commander Napoleon instead of EOTS. So... I just put up FCN for sale on Facebook to fund EOTS.

That said, if anyone here is interested in it, PM me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wargames Thread - Roll 1d6 for Instant Regret Morale Check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I can give a guess: no matter what happens, some supply ships will be able to get through to at least feed the troops if nothing else, which is really the only thing you need if you can't do offensive operations anyway, or move in any way (which being in an enemy AZOI would prevent you from doing anyway). Basically a ground unit in that situation can't attack enemy units, can't move out of that situation using naval movement, can't even move to a nearby ground hex. It's combat effectiveness deteriorates, but it is not removed altogether due to the aforementioned supply/local foraging etc. Once the HQ is gone, however, even that meager intrinsic 'supply' is gone and therefore the piece is removed.

That's just speculation, you would have to ask Mark Herman if that's the actual reason for the rule.

I think it would make air superiority way too OP in places like the Phils and possibly Japan if you could kill one steppers by putting a plane next to them.