Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blackheart posted:

I didn't know a corrupted ice biome will still allow you to get ice biome quest fish. That's p. useful an makes me even less worried about decontamination.

It won't. Corruption has the highest priority for fishing besides Lava and Honey.

That said, corruption doesn't effect snow. Just ice. So if the entire area around your fishing hole or whatever is snow, or simply not enough ice, you'll still work out to Snow biome fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Holyshoot posted:

Is it really necessary to sort out everything obtained after hard mode versus pre-hardmode? Isn't there some cross over?

Some things, it is. I've tried to maintain a single Ores & Metals chest and it just won't work. There's just too much stuff (especially if you keep what you fish so you end up with the full 8 pre-hardmode/6 hardmode mineable ores/bars). In the end it is just much more tidy and organised if you split some stuff like that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've managed to fit all the ores and bars into one chest, provided I don't go over one stack of anything and I don't have both demonite and crimtane.

Though I guess I haven't got Luminite yet. It only half counts since you don't mine it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You don't have all crafting materials either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really hate that crates more commonly give you bars instead of ores. I don't want loving bars from another world, I just want some cobalt to build with dammit :negative:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maaan the Golem is a mega wimp.

Internet Kraken posted:

I really hate that crates more commonly give you bars instead of ores. I don't want loving bars from another world, I just want some cobalt to build with dammit :negative:

Thankfully Cobalt becomes common enough that you end with loads and loads of it just from going about your business. I made a lot of Cobalt Bricks with the leftovers. Now Titanium, that one's a lot trickier.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
What's a good way to find fellow goon games? I was looking but things are random. I'm this name on the steam group, add me I guess?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Blackheart posted:

Thankfully Cobalt becomes common enough that you end with loads and loads of it just from going about your business. I made a lot of Cobalt Bricks with the leftovers. Now Titanium, that one's a lot trickier.

Its never common if it didn't spawn in your world. Before hardmode I got the alternate world ores easily from crates so I could still use them but now all I get are bars.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Just make a couple worlds and rush them into hardmode until you get one with Cobalt, I guess, then go to town on demon altars.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I enjoy trying to make sense out of the conversations that the NPCs have based on the contents of their speech bubbles.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I actually managed to finish building something for once.

Housing hotel for all my NPCs where I gave them themed rooms as compensation for being shoved into boxes. They can freely visit every floor though since I figured out a stair layout that actually works. Of course as soon as I put in those balconies I discovered that they sometimes hurl themselves over the side for kicks but I'm too tired to fix that. This took forever to complete because I'm indecisive and slow.

I guess now I should finally get around to killing plantera.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

My biggest mistake was putting almost all pre hardmode chests on NPC's rooms, so now upgrading their houses is a bitch when I want to move chock-full chests.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I am making a room using Cog furniture and blocks, but then I realized there is no Cog Backwall item. what would make a good backwall to go with a room made out of cogs?

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Housing hotel for all my NPCs where I gave them themed rooms as compensation for being shoved into boxes. They can freely visit every floor though since I figured out a stair layout that actually works. Of course as soon as I put in those balconies I discovered that they sometimes hurl themselves over the side for kicks but I'm too tired to fix that. This took forever to complete because I'm indecisive and slow.

This is great :)

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Beat normal mode over the last few days after being hung up after the Destroyer. MVPs were Godly Yeles/Eye of Cthulu+Yoyo Bag, Tiki Armor+UFO summoning staff, and Dragonbuddy. Guess it's off to Expert Mode.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I am making a room using Cog furniture and blocks, but then I realized there is no Cog Backwall item. what would make a good backwall to go with a room made out of cogs?

Copper / Tin plating.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Blackheart posted:

My biggest mistake was putting almost all pre hardmode chests on NPC's rooms, so now upgrading their houses is a bitch when I want to move chock-full chests.
I did this too but eventually moved everything to an underground lab when I got some Martian tiles/furniture/background because it felt appropriate. Just chucking your entire inventory into a spare chest, getting to the chest you want to move and hitting loot all and running down to the place you're putting it and hitting deposit all made it a real snap moving a dozen chests.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Internet Kraken posted:

That crown is super cool, you did an awesome job on this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can place cogs I believe. Maybe stick a bunch of them over the backwall?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

My nurse has some kind of weird drowning/asphyxiation fetish; instead of jumping out of the tiny hole and move the few meters back to the house she spend the whole time I was there underwater, pumping herself full of meds.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ice_Mallet posted:

What kind of weapons are useful against the Lunar Cultist? I've been using the Piranha Gun since it just destroyed the Golem, but I think it doesn't always target the real Cultist. Should I at least do the martian madness event first?

Eh, I usually keep 90% of things in my inventory, but I have a single chest I keep like 6 things in.

It's not that hard to do, you just need to cull the feeling like you need to hold onto stuff.

The Eye of Cthulu yoyo (drops from Mothron during solar eclipse) is strong as gently caress, especially if you have a yoyo bag.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

who's the girl next door living in the haunted mansion

also experiment #4 or something

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Feindfeuer posted:

My nurse has some kind of weird drowning/asphyxiation fetish; instead of jumping out of the tiny hole and move the few meters back to the house she spend the whole time I was there underwater, pumping herself full of meds.

That's a pretty balling outfit you've got there.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

oddium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykf7haK7z_g

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

oddium posted:

loving incredible

edit: so i can easily destroy Plantera and the Golem with no healing at this point, how much harder is Duke Fishron? Is he too fast to evade just by feet/wings? Will the Vampire Knives not be enough for healing? I'm currently in Beetle Scalemail.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 25, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Blackheart posted:

Is he too fast to evade just by feet/wings?

I remember his phase II lunges outpacing even the hoverboard
:shrug:

edit : also on expert mode he gets an even faster phase III apparently? :xd:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Excelzior posted:

I remember his phase II lunges outpacing even the hoverboard
:shrug:

edit : also on expert mode he gets an even faster phase III apparently? :xd:

Yeah but it happens at 10% and he stops moving for a second so he usually dies before he can do it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh thank gently caress corruptors no longer spread corruption everywhere, that used to be such a pain in the rear end.

Really liking all the quality of life improvements since 1.0 - is it true that corruption no longer fucks the jungle too? Seems that would mess with there being an important world boss there so I'm guessing yes

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Your surface jungle might get wiped out but the jungle's chlorophyte ore will stop the spread of corruption into the underground.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oddium posted:

i'm surprised more people don't try to make background stuff

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

oddium posted:

gently caress you for getting this garbage stuck in my head again. :mad:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Now that I've done this, I have no idea what to build there:

Bottom-most row is the 0ft Surface level (you can see the background change on the right). Took about 30 minutes of sticky dynamite usage. I miss TEdit :(

Edit: It's a brand new world so I guess I could build a giant underground NPC prison village.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Krittick posted:

Bottom-most row is the 0ft Surface level (you can see the background change on the right). Took about 30 minutes of sticky dynamite usage. I miss TEdit :(

Edit: It's a brand new world so I guess I could build a giant underground NPC prison village.

You can find beta versions of TEdit that work in 1.3

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Mazz posted:

You can find beta versions of TEdit that work in 1.3

Every time I've tried the beta versions, there have been major bugs with missing blocks and corrupt worlds, so I'm waiting until the official one.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Krittick posted:

Is this jut the whole world carved out?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What's a good guide for this game? I have a house and am mining stuff. I have a tungsten pick and tin armor, and a lovely spear that hits like 3 times, so I'm keeping it (or should I make a tungsten/gold sword???) and not sure what to do now. Mine more then kill the eye?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Does Chlorophyte not grow in the Underworld? Do I need to plant some a bit higher for it to grow?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Is there any reason to not play Expert mode for your first playthrough aside from difficulty?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Apparition posted:

Is there any reason to not play Expert mode for your first playthrough aside from difficulty?

If you've literally never played the game before, expert kinda expects you to know all the tricks and optimal gearing paths if you're playing it solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just play expert mode and if you get your rear end kicked, switch out and use the gear you gained to beast through early parts of normal