Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Space Racist posted:

Okay, did you actually buy an Edition or has this just been a months-long troll?

Regular Apple Watch with an extra or upgraded band is more than $600, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Space Racist posted:

Okay, did you actually buy an Edition or has this just been a months-long troll?

vvv Why not, it's whimsical.vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 25, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Of course you'd use the Mickey face.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still love mine. It's a very handy little device that also tells time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My uses for the apple watch two months in (in order of importance):

Notifications
Apple pay(my favorite feature)
Steps and work out
Music control
Sonos music control
Apple TV control
Calendar
New York Times (pretty rare)
Weather

I would probably use it for messaging more, but I use google voice so that just doesn't happen.

In response to spending a lot of money for something that does not much: I would overall agree. The watch isn't the iPhone, it isn't essential. But it is a nice add on. My opinion is that most non tech people should just get the pebble. But for me, I honestly don't regret it.

I've been keeping an eye on the 3rd party bands, but the sport band is really comfortable for me, so I just haven't found a reason to. I would consider the Milanese loop, but I have a space gray sport so I don't think it would match that well.

I hate the "reminder to stand" function. First thing I turned off. But I stand for 10 hours a day in retail, so it really doesn't apply to me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
As a 5s user being able to use Apple Pay rules a lot!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I just wish I could use apple pay at more places I go. Well, supposedly CurrentC is rolling out within the next six months so once that fails maybe more retailers will switch over.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

gret posted:

And a nice mechanical watch that just tells the time costs more than that?

Haha yes it will. It'll also last for decades.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

blugu64 posted:

Haha yes it will. It'll also last for decades.

It also will lose little to no value if you buy smart. Nothing wrong with an Apple Watch, but its functionality in no way justifies the price (no smartwatch does IMO) and, like nearly all modern electronics, is a disposable good.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Of course you'd use the Mickey face.
Mickey owns. He also looks higher or lower at one of his hands sometimes (hell it happened while writing this) but I haven't figured out if it's tied to anything, like I've seen him go from looking at his hands to back to normal.

Agronox posted:

I just wish I could use apple pay at more places I go. Well, supposedly CurrentC is rolling out within the next six months so once that fails maybe more retailers will switch over.
I thought it already failed, iirc some of the retailers behind it said they'll be supporting Apple Pay.

IuniusBrutus posted:

It also will lose little to no value if you buy smart. Nothing wrong with an Apple Watch, but its functionality in no way justifies the price (no smartwatch does IMO) and, like nearly all modern electronics, is a disposable good.
On the other hand I'm actually wearing this thing :v:. I have a Rolex somewhere but never wore it consistently enough to even get the automatic winding to keep time properly (I also got a winder case but that didn't help much either).

But yeah ultimately it's an electronic item, it's all about the present value, and priced as such relative to a fancy watch...except the gold one :retrogames:, but I guess you could compare to much more expensive gold watches there too.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The CurrentC exclusivity contracts are ending and Best Buy already said they are jumping ship. I imagine more will follow

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

japtor posted:

On the other hand I'm actually wearing this thing :v:. I have a Rolex somewhere but never wore it consistently enough to even get the automatic winding to keep time properly (I also got a winder case but that didn't help much either).

But yeah ultimately it's an electronic item, it's all about the present value, and priced as such relative to a fancy watch...except the gold one :retrogames:, but I guess you could compare to much more expensive gold watches there too.

Get your Rolex serviced, and you can't compare a gold Rolex to a gold Apple watch for the exact same reasons.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I like my Apple Watch because it's an actually nice watch without pretension. I like the idea of having something useful on my wrist but having a big dumb piece of jewellery that isn't even good at telling the time, requires setting and resetting when DST comes around and has terrible accuracy, like the official standard is like you can lose three seconds a day and still call your mechanical watch 'precision timing', it's just, a waste. You can walk around telling yourself 'i have a zillion tiny gears in here and they work for me' or whatever but you've still got a crazy inferior teller of time, and that's all it does. You can sell it, I guess, but why not just buy a lump of gold at that point or a diamond tiara that says 'princess' on it

You can buy a cheap digital watch that will be way more accurate, and that's a way to go too, but they're insanely unpleasant user experiences. You have to cycle through all those modes on those tiny lovely buttons. You still have to reset them when you change time zones or DST, and they're still pretty much useless outside of time. I use my watch for tracking exercise; Siri all the time like when I'm in the kitchen and use the last of a thing I can just add it to the shopping list right there; controlling my podcasts with just a swipe while driving without taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road despite the fact my car is old enough not to have iPhone integration; controlling my apple tv when I can't find the remote, and being able to know what the weather is literally as soon as I wonder what the weather is like. I just think it's cool having a thing that's nice and useful.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

I like my Apple Watch because it's an actually nice watch without pretension.

Lol contrasting that with every other sentence you wrote.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does anyone have a black Sport Watch? How is the finish holding up?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I've had mine since a week after release and it looks great even after bumping it against rocks a few times while hiking.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Got mine in the first batch, no visible issues, and I've been hiking and exercising with mine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have a black SS and it's in great condition. No dings or scratches on the body, band, or glass.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a silver SS with a sport band. I decided black didn't look too great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

I got a silver SS with a sport band. I decided black didn't look too great.

It's all subjective of course, but I think it looks pretty awesome.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Mine is holding up great as well and I'm not gentle with it.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Same here.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How glossy is the stainless steel band?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Really impressed with the battery life even on the 38mm model. Going to bed with like 50% charge left.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Tab8715 posted:

How glossy is the stainless steel band?

not glossy like the ss case

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Anybody bought any of the various black stainless steel bands on Amazon? I like the Leather Loop, but I feel like having a metal band might be a bit dressier.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

Holds up pretty well, even better if you're not a klutz like me and accidentally hit it against walls. I have a few small dimples on the case from that and one tiny scratch on the glass.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Anybody bought any of the various black stainless steel bands on Amazon? I like the Leather Loop, but I feel like having a metal band might be a bit dressier.

I just got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZR705NS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It seems pretty great for the price after wearing it for a few days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

I just got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZR705NS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It seems pretty great for the price after wearing it for a few days.

If it says for apple watch 38mm, will it still fit the 42 at all?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

If it says for apple watch 38mm, will it still fit the 42 at all?

If you click the "+4 more" button there's 42mm.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

If you click the "+4 more" button there's 42mm.

This, they have the 42mm ones as well I assume they're identical but with different pieces to attach to the watch itself.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Feenix posted:

Full admission I've been out if this thread for hundreds of posts...

Just wanted to take a pulse on the early adopters and their usage. Was there a novelty period that died off and the you were like "ummm, I don't really use this thing much."?

Or is it still awesome and integral to you? My plan is to get the next one they make. Which is different for me because I've always been an early adopter on Apple stuff.

Mine now lives in the ridiculously expensive bedside dock thing I got for it. After wearing it daily since mine shipped, it seems like the main things I used it for were activity/exercise tracking, the stand reminders, and push notifications. These are admittedly pretty useful things, but I'm not sure the current implementation is really what I'm looking for in a device. It's hard to really articulate why the Apple Watch lost its appeal to me, but I guess the best comparison would be Spotify vs Apple Music. I already use Spotify, I like Spotify, and there's really nothing I wish Spotify did that it doesn't do. Just because Apple releases their own service doesn't make it better, or worth switching to.

Somewhat similarly, for working out I'd previously used My Fitness Pal, Digifit with a Bluetooth chest strap, and I've got a WiFi scale. Those apps and devices work loving fantastic. They're all totally open via cross-linking API's and are super friendly with storing your data, and letting you access your data in any way you feel like whether it's via the app on your iPhone, iPad, or even via a web browser on your computer. The My Fitness Pal ecosystem is loving great, Digifit is a near-perfect exercise app, and when you throw the Bluetooth chest strap and WiFi scale into the mix, you've got everything you need for a very comprehensive (and open) health profile.

When you use an Apple watch, you have to give most of this up as all of your data is weirdly trapped inside of Apple Health. My Fitness Pal sort of interacts with it, as does Digifit, but both implementations seem pretty janky compared to just using the apps themselves and it seems like you have to always be babysitting your Health data because things either don't get recorded, get recorded twice, or other weird frustrating inconsistencies that are irritating to track down because if Apple stuff isn't Just Working there's basically no step two. I imagine all these weird problems are due to most app developers not really fully knowing what to do with Health yet, but as an early adopter, it's pretty frustrating.

So, with exercise handled better with other apps and devices I own, that leaves movement tracking, stand alarms, and push alerts. As an experiment, I picked up a Garmin Vivosmart which specifically does these three things and does sleep tracking while having a week long battery life. So, I've gone back to using the apps I like using, and the things I liked from the Apple Watch are now handled by a device which works better, has better battery life, and additional functionality... While freeing up my left wrist to wear something that functions better as an actual watch than the Apple Watch. Oh, and the Vivosmart plays perfectly with My Fitness Pal.

Maybe things will get better with watchOS 2, but I sort of doubt it. Load times on loving everything are ridiculous, and when you've got apps built for 1-3 second glances but those things take 10 seconds to load, it's faster to just pull out your phone. It only took a few weeks of trying to use Apple Watch apps before I just stopped. Everything I'd use on my Apple Watch is just on my home screen anyway, and without fail, pulling your phone out of your pocket, unlocking with touchID and tapping an icon is always faster than navigating to the tiny icon and watching a spinner spin until (best case) the app loads or (worst case) the screen just turns off because it took so long.

I've bought a lot of Apple Rev. A poo poo, but the Apple Watch in its current form (again, watchOS 2 might change this) is the most Rev. A. of any Rev. A product of theirs I've ever bought. Oh, and it doesn't help that I bought the expensive link bracelet and in a month of daily wear it basically got destroyed with scratches worse than a $20 link bracelet Timex I bought from Wal-Mart 20 years ago, but, hey, whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, after two days with this thing, I'm pretty sure I'm returning it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, after two days with this thing, I'm pretty sure I'm returning it.
That's definitely enough time to assess a product. Good call.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

That's definitely enough time to assess a product. Good call.
Thanks man. I agree.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks man. I agree.
To be fair you're right, it does stink.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I bought mine a week ago and I'm having second thoughts; I'm probably going to take it back. The hardware is awesome in every regard - it looks great, the battery life is wonderful, and it's the only smart watch around that doesn't feel like a boat anchor.

That said though I'm really feeling the software leaves a lot to be desired. The UI lag is a serious buzzkill, especially for "glances" where it seems like the point is to get in and get out really quickly. The navigation and UI in general just seems kind of convoluted, and trying to use the app launcher makes me feel like that guy at the carnival who writes your name on a grain of rice.

I'd hang onto this and just hold out for WatchOS 2 but I feel like there's no way to know whether it's going to be that much better of an experience.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
You could always return it, let watchOS two get released, which will inevitably lead everyone to re-reviewing the device... then go buy it?

Because, yeah, glances loving suck. The demos of the Apple Watch in Apple's promotional materials feel like the original iPhone ads where they eventually had to add in the subtitle about how load times were sped up or whatever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yes I agree that is definitely the logical course of action. If WatchOS 2 makes it that much better I wouldn't feel bad at all about re-buying it.

edit: returned it tonight. I'll revisit this in the fall.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I may have gotten drunk and scratched up my Apple Watch Sport at the pool the other night. It's nothing too bad but I eventually would like to get my screen fixed but I'm an idiot who didn't buy AppleCare+ so I'd have to pay the $200-something repair fee if I wanted to get it replaced. Does anyone know of any reputable places that do Apple Watch repairs for a non ridiculous price?

• Locked thread