Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Die Laughing posted:

People will complain saying New Vegas is linear, and then hate on FO3's level scaling as if there's really a happy medium. You either guide the player towards a beginners path, and have other paths of varying difficulty, or allow the player able to go anywhere, and have a scaled challenge.

Otherwise it would just be rings of difficulty radiating out from the starting point lest a more casual player stumble into a high level zone with no warning.

I thought Skyrim did it pretty well. The dungeons are where the real high level stuff is (outside of the dragons & Giants, who are clearly marked on the map). Everything else is pretty much just limited by your equipment.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Overbite posted:

Romancing companions is stupid
fisto

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought Europe didn't even get hit in the war. It collapsed as a society before the war and was basically a wasteland without the nukes. Still doesn't explain why we've never seen a single person from there. Boats still work right? Unless every boat was sunk in the unrest, most likely by the French who keep burning stuff whenever there is a holiday/riot.

They went into a early nuclear exchange with the middle east during the Resource Wars, the foreplay before the Great War that nuked the planet between China and the US. They already had descended into warring fiefdoms and bombed out hellscapes well before 2077, but were likely bombed even more by the US drones and missiles making their way to Chinese territories than Chinese artillery or drones coming back from going from West to East cost USA. I mean if the US didn't care about brutalizing their own people, I really doubt their exchange wouldn't have torched Europe, Russia or Asia making its way to China.

And if Ghouls are some sort of faction in 4, it could hopefully be the entertaining kind of stupid if any of them traveled from what remained of Europe. But that would require whatever is left from there to know how to cross the glowing seas by boat or build some sort of air travel.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
thanks for letting me out of that room. i will now follow you on your suicidal quest against the most powerful armies in this world and will also have sex with you on command.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Man Whore posted:

woah, gettin mad at video games in here.

Nah, they're just gettin' mad at me being right.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

bing_commander posted:

thanks for letting me out of that room. i will now follow you on your suicidal quest against the most powerful armies in this world and will also have sex with you on command.

Sorry [PLAYER NAME], I don't think I'll ever love again. Maybe if someone brought me [10 LEAF BLOWERS]... but that's a dream beyond a dream.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What's the appropriate amount of time to spend mourning your spouse and child before shacking up with a wasteland floozy?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

OwlFancier posted:

According to todd they have an area called the "glowing sea" which is the area where the actual bomb fell.

E: Oh in mothership zeta, dunno.

There will also be a baseball stadium so ravaged by nuclear warfare that the sand has fused into one gigantic, glowing (baseball) diamond. When the sun goes down, you will be able to see a shaft of green light emanating in the sky above the stadium; it will be occupied exclusively by a pack of eternal children, including a sassy fatso, a handsome but dull "leader", a mean-spirited nerd, and a swarthy child of indeterminiate ethnicity.

The location will be called "Night-Light".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

marktheando posted:

What's the appropriate amount of time to spend mourning your spouse and child before shacking up with a wasteland floozy?

"Two hundred years ought to be enough"

(Whips dick out and tries to find a way to gently caress Codsworth in front of the smoldering remains of home)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

marktheando posted:

I'm throwing out my ring as soon as possible personally.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"Two hundred years ought to be enough"

(Whips dick out and tries to find a way to gently caress Codsworth in front of the smoldering remains of home)

Good Ending unlocked :unsmith:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mr E posted:

I'm throwing out my ring as soon as possible personally.

Quest items cannot be dropped

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Players will also be able romance those companions, regardless of gender.
Strangely, the dozen companions include Dogmeat and Codsworth, a canine and a Mr. Handy robot, respectively."

Now I know why they call him Mr. Handy ;)

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

King Vidiot posted:

How unlivable does a nuclear attack make surrounding areas, or how many warheads would need to be detonated to make the world completely uninhabitable outside of blast zones?

In the real world nuclear missiles make the blast zone and surrounding area unlivable for about two weeks, depending on weather conditions.

quote:

Also this, but maybe in Fallout 4 we'll see some invading Europeans in keeping with the whole "British are coming!" cliche.

sparatuvs posted:

European Ghouls maybe?

Yikes.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

Sorry [PLAYER NAME], I don't think I'll ever love again. Maybe if someone brought me [10 LEAF BLOWERS]... but that's a dream beyond a dream.

this isnt totally unrealistic

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

In the real world nuclear missiles make the blast zone and surrounding area unlivable for about two weeks, depending on weather conditions.

Huh? Only 2 weeks? Wont there be enough residual radiation to last for atleast several decades?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GyverMac posted:

Huh? Only 2 weeks? Wont there be enough residual radiation to last for atleast several decades?

If something it really radioactive it has a shot half-life, it decays quickly. If something is radioactive for a long time it's because it has a long half-life and doesn't emit dangerous amounts of radiation. After about 2 weeks all the most dangerous isotopes made by the atom bomb would have decayed.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Chernobyl?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shroud posted:

Chernobyl?

Nuclear Reactors work different from bombs. The radioactive core of Chernobyl is still there, they can't remove it because there is a big sold lump of it and it is quite radioactive. This is unlike an atom bomb that blows up and disperses itself over miles, leading to faster decay.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Shroud posted:

Chernobyl?

I don't remember a nuclear missile with that name, friend

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Overbite posted:

Romancing companions is stupid

It's badass

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNfqQ7iJDg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrX-QT19Ro0

Some new bits and pieces in there that are really good. Most of it we've seen but this is apparently what they cut the E3 trailer from.

Unless I missed them in which case go back to your vaults.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

People have been illegally living in the chernobyl exclusion zone since right after the accident and they're fine. There are places on earth that are naturally more radioactive than most of it, where people have been living for millennia. Bombs historically have produced a lot more radiation illnesses than the scant examples of reactor accidents. Projected illnesses from chernobyl (besides the reactor cleanup efforts, which did kill people) were actually estimated based on Hiroshima and Nagasaki illnesses (cancer rates), because those types of low level exposures had not (and actually still have not) produced measurable differences in health in individuals or populations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_no-threshold_model

Besides the immediate reactor area of chernobyl, which isn't very large, the only practically radiologically unsafe places on earth are soviet material dumping grounds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Karachay and a soviet bomb testing area that many purport to being unsafe and producing birth defects and unhealthy people. It is not well studied I beleive though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semipalatinsk_Test_Site. Anyways, these people are more than healthy enough to be fallout NPC's.

I believe that in the lore somewhere it is mentioned that the bombs they used in the fallout universe were half-bomb-half-dirty-bomb, with low yields but designed for maximum fallout potential.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Rutibex posted:

If something it really radioactive it has a shot half-life, it decays quickly. If something is radioactive for a long time it's because it has a long half-life and doesn't emit dangerous amounts of radiation. After about 2 weeks all the most dangerous isotopes made by the atom bomb would have decayed.

Hell.. knowing the scientists from 2070s, they probably built a bombs that also manages to dump waste into the surrounding area so that:bahgawd: those dang commies/americans can't use that land for evil.:bahgawd:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Will bioware let me gently caress this guy??

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

NotALizardman posted:

Will bioware let me gently caress this guy??

Kenneth McRory is your fuckbuddy or your confidant.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Reposting this now that it's confirmed skills have been consolidated into perks. From what they've said, it sounds like you can actually get higher level perks from the get-go if you have your stats maxed out, so if you're at 10 Endurance after character creation, your first perk can be Solar-Powered. I imagine it's balanced by you having to buy more ranks in it to get the full effect, but it's still interesting that there are no level requirements on any of the perks.

Still, I actually kind of like this system because it does solve a few problems, such as how literally retarded characters could still hack computers or how uncharismatic autists could still have perfect skills of persuasion. Also, if I assume that the level cap is 50 and that you get perk points for finding bobbleheads, that means you can only get a third of all the perks in the game. I do think it'll make the early game really generic, as it takes a while for you to amass perks to flesh out your character, but it's a neat system and an actual positive thing unlike some of the other poo poo I've seen.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Where did they say you can bone every companion? Also so what if you could, you don't really have to. I found the romances in skyrim pretty bad so I never did them.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Hihohe posted:

Hell.. knowing the scientists from 2070s, they probably built a bombs that also manages to dump waste into the surrounding area so that:bahgawd: those dang commies/americans can't use that land for evil.:bahgawd:

In the Fallout universe the nuclear war left much deadlier and longer-lasting radioactive fallout than expected; in the west coast though there's nothing left after 100-200 years except in places like The Glow where the bombs struck a research facility. They hosed this up in Fallout 3 but I saw trees that might've had leaves on them in one of the FO4 preview videos so maybe Bethesda learned their lesson.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

SunAndSpring posted:

Reposting this now that it's confirmed skills have been consolidated into perks. From what they've said, it sounds like you can actually get higher level perks from the get-go if you have your stats maxed out, so if you're at 10 Endurance after character creation, your first perk can be Solar-Powered. I imagine it's balanced by you having to buy more ranks in it to get the full effect, but it's still interesting that there are no level requirements on any of the perks.

Still, I actually kind of like this system because it does solve a few problems, such as how literally retarded characters could still hack computers or how uncharismatic autists could still have perfect skills of persuasion. Also, if I assume that the level cap is 50 and that you get perk points for finding bobbleheads, that means you can only get a third of all the perks in the game. I do think it'll make the early game really generic, as it takes a while for you to amass perks to flesh out your character, but it's a neat system and an actual positive thing unlike some of the other poo poo I've seen.

The problem will be whether the perks are interesting. Fallout 3 and Skyrim perks were almost universally bad, and Solar Powered being a perk special enough you can only get it with Endurance 10 isn't a great sign.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TontoCorazon posted:

Where did they say you can bone every companion? Also so what if you could, you don't really have to. I found the romances in skyrim pretty bad so I never did them.
Skyrim didn't have romances. Those marriages were clearly for tax purposes.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I guess they at least can't have the lovely perks that gave +10 to a skill or whatever anymore, since skills are out.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So what does intelligence do now that it's whole shtick is gone?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Caidin posted:

So what does intelligence do now that it's whole shtick is gone?

It gives you more XP and lets you take science and hacking-related perks.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
They might still have stat checks in conversations but I'm guessing most of them will depend on ranks of whatever Speech perk.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm guessing that means random speech checks are out, which I am fine with because they stank.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The problem will be whether the perks are interesting. Fallout 3 and Skyrim perks were almost universally bad, and Solar Powered being a perk special enough you can only get it with Endurance 10 isn't a great sign.

Hey man, don't knock the HP regen that poo poo gives you.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the new perks are more exciting.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Alain Post posted:

I'm guessing that means random speech checks are out, which I am fine with because they stank.

They were rear end.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Int will probably end up being the dump stat for everyone but maybe energy weapons focused characters since there's no low-Int dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I kinda like that system, although 70 perks doesn't feel like a lot if they're replacing skills.

Also I really hope they reworked/came up with some new perks instead of just straight recycling fallout 3 perks. It's possible that image from the collectors edition of the perk poster is just a placeholder mockup using available assets.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 25, 2015

• Locked thread