Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Bloodmobile posted:

With this announcement, I've gone from cautious optimism to complete indifference towards the new Doom.

If there is one thing Doom deathmatch was well remembered for and truly defined from, it was the strafe jumping.

No wait hang on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Doom 3 had strafe jumping and Dooms 1 and 2 had SR-50, which a lot like strafe jumping without, well, the jumping. A doom game without busted-rear end movement isn't Doom :colbert:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

new thing not exactly like old, different thing. new thing bad.

New Doom's ends are bad

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Doom 4 doesn't have covering surfaces in ink and turning into a squid to swim through it so it will suck

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Holding modern shooters to the new elevated standard of Splatoon isn't very fair for the genre.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BattleMaster posted:

Doom 4 doesn't have covering surfaces in ink and turning into a squid to swim through it so it will suck

So how long now until someone makes a Splatoon mod for Doom?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bloodmobile posted:

With this announcement, I've gone from cautious optimism to complete indifference towards the new Doom.

You take videogames Way Too Seriously. Please go outside.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
if the new doom scares away grognards then that can only be a good thing

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
New Doom is a game for everyone to enjoy.

Just like the original game, which has something for all tastes.

kinda makes you think

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Come to think of it, no one in 1993 complained that Doom didn't have bunny hopping.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm genuinely not sure what kind of delusional motherfucker would expect a dev studio to bring bunnyhopping into a game made in the year of our lord 2015/2016/whatever
Rage had it. I'm pretty sure old id actually had an unwritten rule where every game they made would have it. Quake 4 had it, Doom 3 had it, Rage had it. I guess the fact that Doom 4 doesn't have it is just another reminder that new id is not old id.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 25, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LordArgh posted:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BattleMaster posted:

Come to think of it, no one in 1993 complained that Doom didn't have bunny hopping.

It had bunnies, though. and their lack of hopping caused Doom 2 to happen. Makes you think.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I think it's best to just stop thinking of Doom 4 as an id game or a classic-style shooter at all and just start thinking of it as a modern shooter except slightly faster.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

arcsig posted:

I think it's best to just stop thinking of Doom 4 as an id game or a classic-style shooter at all and just start thinking of it as a modern shooter except slightly faster.

Because they killed bunny hopping? :confused:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

arcsig posted:

Rage had it. I'm pretty sure old id actually had an unwritten rule where every game they made would have it. Quake 4 had it, Doom 3 had it, Rage had it. I guess the fact that Doom 4 doesn't have it is just another reminder that new id is not old id.

Wasn't an unwritten rule. It was always a side effect of the way player movement was implemented. Quake 4 didn't have it in single player, multiplayer was intended to be similar to Q3.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
First they came for the weapon pick-ups, but I said nothing because I am under 20.
Then they came for the strafe jumping, but I said nothing because my first shooter was on a console.
Then they came for the rocket jumping...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure that strafe jumping being removed is good news because it means they've finally updated the goddamn movement engine.

Yeah, I Totally Want Doom 4 To Share A Movement Engine With Doom 3, That Game That Was Still Slow As gently caress Even After Movement Speed Was Buffed

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

First they came for the weapon pick-ups, but I said nothing because I am under 20.
Then they came for the strafe jumping, but I said nothing because my first shooter was on a console.
Then they came for the rocket jumping...
...but I said nothing because I was using the Air Strike and parachute in TF2 to melt people in gratuitously unfair ways.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Mak0rz posted:

Because they killed bunny hopping? :confused:
And the loadouts, the levelling system, level design, slow button-prompt executions, etc. I'm not saying the lack of strafejumping makes the game bad, or that even any of these things make the game bad. It just makes it clear what the developers are going for here and it's not what I wanted. I'm still going to buy it and play it and I'll probably enjoy if I go into it just expecting a fast modern shooter instead of something that plays like the old Doom or Quake games.

spongeh posted:

Wasn't an unwritten rule. It was always a side effect of the way player movement was implemented. Quake 4 didn't have it in single player, multiplayer was intended to be similar to Q3.
Yes it did, it was just slightly slower than in DM.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

You're a squid now, you're a UAC Marine now

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm seriously baffled that the Steam versions of the first two Quake games and their expansions have none of the music included, how hard can it be? I had to download them from elsewhere.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

khwarezm posted:

I'm seriously baffled that the Steam versions of the first two Quake games and their expansions have none of the music included, how hard can it be? I had to download them from elsewhere.
Yeah, it's unbelievably lazy. Apparently if you own the original CD, you can just put it in and then run the Steam version and it will play the music from the CD like it's supposed to, but there's seriously no excuse why the music shouldn't just work straight off the Steam version.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It'd require them to do some loving around with poo poo, or fight over source port rights. The original Winquake/glquake/quakeworlds only supported CD audio, so they said screw it instead of reprogramming a 20 year old game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Just a quick jump in to ask if anyone knows some good Gothic style maps for Doom or Doom 2.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i bet they wont even let you play doom 4 with keyboard only

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It won't be Doom unless you can play in 320x200 at 35fps, with the screen shrunk to the size of a postage stamp

Also multiplayer will be limited to 4 players using a LAN and will desync after 5 minutes

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Wamdoodle posted:

Just a quick jump in to ask if anyone knows some good Gothic style maps for Doom or Doom 2.

Chord series? http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search&page=2&field=author&word=sailor&sort=time&order=asc
if your ok with late 90's maps

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

khwarezm posted:

There's licensing issues with this. I'd like to get the ports replaced with something like QuakeSpasm sometime in the future, but I can't really say anything about music.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

spongeh posted:

There's licensing issues with this. I'd like to get the ports replaced with something like QuakeSpasm sometime in the future, but I can't really say anything about music.

I thought that might have been the case, still, it takes so much away from the ambiance of the games. Quake is nothing without Trent Reznor's full sound design, the music is so good for creating that sense of unease, like something's really wrong about the places you're fighting in. I did notice that without the soundtrack there's sort of an overlay of quiet whispering in the background constantly though.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Was it licensing issues? I always just assumed it was the issue Elliotw2 mentioned.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LordArgh posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Yeah, I hope no one cares about it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

arcsig posted:

Was it licensing issues? I always just assumed it was the issue Elliotw2 mentioned.
I thought so too, but Spongeh is in a position to know more than we do.

If I had to guess, there's probably some poo poo from Nothing Records imploding... but that's idle speculation on my part.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

khwarezm posted:

I thought that might have been the case, still, it takes so much away from the ambiance of the games. Quake is nothing without Trent Reznor's full sound design, the music is so good for creating that sense of unease, like something's really wrong about the places you're fighting in. I did notice that without the soundtrack there's sort of an overlay of quiet whispering in the background constantly though.

Heh, I actually bought Quake 1 through that encrypted id Stuff digital storefront they had, so I hadn't actually heard the Quake 1 soundtrack until some point after when MP3s became commonplace many years later.

arcsig posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with licensing on source ports. As long as you ship the source, as we do with DOSBox, it can probably be used fine. Chocolate Doom and QuakeSpasm are great ports that keep the game relatively stock without all the crazy stuff added in GZDoom and such.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

spongeh posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with licensing on source ports. As long as you ship the source, as we do with DOSBox, it can probably be used fine. Chocolate Doom and QuakeSpasm are great ports that keep the game relatively stock without all the crazy stuff added in GZDoom and such.
I think they're talking about the music, not the source ports.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

khwarezm posted:

it's almost like they don't give a poo poo.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

LordArgh posted:

The amount of massive jumping around about what hypothetical people are hypothetically angry about leads me to believe the grognards may not be the ones suspected.

Meanwhile I'm more interested in the modding tools. The stream was mostly a wash but they said that there will be more modding tools available than just the snapmap stuff--which I suspected would be true, but glad to see it confirmed.
I'm curious to see A: How much of the core game behavior is modifiable, and B: What kind of language everything uses. I don't expect to be able to use ACS/Decorate, but at the very least a little Lua would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Lork posted:

I think they're talking about the music, not the source ports.

Yea, but fighting over source port rights was mentioned too.