Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Max Wilco posted:

I totally forgot that Steam has the Quakecon sale going on.

The iD catalog is 66% off right now. I thought about buying the two Quake 1 expansions (Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity). Are they worth playing?

Thanks for the recommendation, started playing Scourge of Armagon, fun stuff! Never played any of the expansions before, love Vanilla Quake. Still playing it on ProQuake, I dig that ol' engine. Cool that Levelord did some of the levels.

General question if it goes in here, any recommendations for a really good fast-paced classic 90s or early 2000s shooter I may have missed? Especially with good level design pre-Serious Sam/Painkiller open kill fields style? (Though I like that too). I've played most I think, at least most of the notable ones, just throwing this out there. Jedi Knight, the first one, I had somehow missed that until a few years ago for example. Shot in the dark here I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Heavy Metal posted:

General question if it goes in here, any recommendations for a really good fast-paced classic 90s or early 2000s shooter I may have missed? Especially with good level design pre-Serious Sam/Painkiller open kill fields style? (Though I like that too). I've played most I think, at least most of the notable ones, just throwing this out there. Jedi Knight, the first one, I had somehow missed that until a few years ago for example. Shot in the dark here I know.
Well it's hard to know what you've played, but I'll try. AvP is the only game I can think of off the top of my head that had a playable character significantly faster than Doomguy. As far as more obscure stuff... Riddick? Tron 2.0? Shogo?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

david_a posted:

Well it's hard to know what you've played, but I'll try. AvP is the only game I can think of off the top of my head that had a playable character significantly faster than Doomguy. As far as more obscure stuff... Riddick? Tron 2.0? Shogo?
Thanks. I've been meaning to play Riddick, have that on GoG. I do dig Shogo, have never played AvP other than a demo I think. Is the first one by Rebellion the best single-player wise? I actually dig their game Dredd vs Death so hey, AvP could be a fun one to try.

By fast paced it doesn't have to have a really high movement speed, I guess just levels that feel fast-paced if that makes sense.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks. I've been meaning to play Riddick, have that on GoG. I do dig Shogo, have never played AvP other than a demo I think. Is the first one by Rebellion the best single-player wise? I actually dig their game Dredd vs Death so hey, AvP could be a fun one to try.

By fast paced it doesn't have to have a really high movement speed, I guess just levels that feel fast-paced if that makes sense.
No, AvP 2 is far and away the more polished game, but as far as I know it's not available anywhere. AvP has its own charm. The levels are a grab-bag of memorable locations from the film pieced together with a really bare story. It has a slight arcade feel with the way you have to unlock levels. You can even spook out the human enemies by smashing all the lights.

I'm playing through the game now but got sidetracked with something else after finishing the Alien campaign.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Heavy Metal posted:

I've heard a lot of people say that AvP2 is better single player-wise, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it. I'm also not too fond of AvP, it should be something I love but something about it just doesn't get me like I think it should. It's cheap now though, and worth a shot I'd say.

I remember really liking Tron 2.0, but it's been a while since I played it. Do you like Serious Sam? Vivisector is a decent enough Serious Sam-like game that came out of the cancellation of Duke Nukem: Endangered Species. Have you tried Eradicator? It's very BUILD engine-like in tech, and is $0.97 on Steam right now, holy poo poo. Maybe SiN?

I also like Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi even if it's janky and hideous and not as fast as other games and the weapons feel period accurate as far as being unwieldly. Oh! There's a couple people here that will suggest Necrovision. I've played a bit and it's not bad, give it a shot too, it's very Painkiller-like.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

I've heard a lot of people say that AvP2 is better single player-wise, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it. I'm also not too fond of AvP, it should be something I love but something about it just doesn't get me like I think it should. It's cheap now though, and worth a shot I'd say.

I remember really liking Tron 2.0, but it's been a while since I played it. Do you like Serious Sam? Vivisector is a decent enough Serious Sam-like game that came out of the cancellation of Duke Nukem: Endangered Species. Have you tried Eradicator? It's very BUILD engine-like in tech, and is $0.97 on Steam right now, holy poo poo. Maybe SiN?

I also like Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi even if it's janky and hideous and not as fast as other games and the weapons feel period accurate as far as being unwieldly. Oh! There's a couple people here that will suggest Necrovision. I've played a bit and it's not bad, give it a shot too, it's very Painkiller-like.

Sweet, just bought Eradicator, that looks pretty nutty. Never even heard of that. I'll try to keep an eye out for some of these other ones, especially AvP 1 and 2. I've played some of these other ones or demos at least. SiN for example I liked the style of but just overall found it pretty bad.

I've never played that Doom 2 No Rest For The Living thing by Nerve software, gonna give that a try sometime too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lork posted:

I think they're talking about the music, not the source ports.

I find it really strange that rights to a videogame's own music can't be secured when the rest of the game can :psyduck:

It isn't like Full Throttle or Rock Band where most or all of the music was licensed from record labels or whatever. Quake's soundtrack was composed specifically for it. I just don't understand it...

Heavy Metal posted:

I've never played that Doom 2 No Rest For The Living thing by Nerve software, gonna give that a try sometime too.

Do it. It's really good.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 26, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Tron 2.0 is Monolith's best FPS and is truly great, except for occasionally leaving you with very little health and lots of enemies.

Everybody buy and play Tron 2.0, is what I'm saying.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's on same at GMG right now, http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/action/tron-20/ using code 23PERC-ENTOFF-JULY15 gets it down to £1.34.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Tron 2.0 is Monolith's best FPS and is truly great, except for occasionally leaving you with very little health and lots of enemies.

you forgot about FEAR.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
I'd thought I'd make this post for no one in particular, but I just checked out some old games that I had trouble running on modern systems and surprisingly people discovered how to get them working finally.

Requiem Avenging Angel now works on modern systems by installing patch 1.2 and then placing this patch in the install directory, and then placingthis file in the install directory as well. Then run it with nGlide. I've been waiting for a solution for this for ages so I'm really happy someone found it.

Chasm The Rift is now playable on Dosbox in 640x480 resolutions without crippling performance issues if you patch it to the latest version (csmtcpip.exe is the latest) and then download this fixed exe and replace the original PS10.exe in the install directory. That combined with this patch that fixes the audio looping issues (run it in Dosbox right before launching Chasm, and remember to mount the disc drive with the '-t cdrom' line after it) fixes pretty much everything there I think.

Warhammer Firewarrior also works in 64bit Windows 7 if you play it vanilla and don't upgrade it to the latest patch. Latest patch refuses to run.

Also as an added bonus someone fixed the shadows in Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, finally allowing the game to be completable on PC.

SparkTR fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 27, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

you forgot about FEAR.

No, Tron 2.0 is just better. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

It's on same at GMG right now, http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/action/tron-20/ using code 23PERC-ENTOFF-JULY15 gets it down to £1.34.

Not available in USA :(

SparkTR posted:

Also as an added bonus someone fixed the shadows in Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, finally allowing the game to be completable on PC.

This is awesome. Gonna try it out. Thanks!

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I just finished Doom 3 for the first time. There's really not much to comment on because I'm pretty sure everyone's already said everything that can be said about it. It wasn't a trainwreck but it was pretty boring and felt more like a Half-Life game than a Doom game.

One thing I want to say though is that the whole "everything's too dark no duct tape on mars" complaint seems pretty overblown. I played the original version, not the BFG edition, and I rarely had any problems with the darkness. Most enemies have some glowing element to them so you can see where they are without pulling out the flashlight. Even aside from that, most of the game is pretty well lit. A lot of the dark areas are just in the first few levels of the game, and the only enemies hiding in the dark are the basic zombies. Once you start fighting harder enemies the arenas are pretty reasonably lit and I rarely had to switch to my flashlight unless I was exploring dark areas to scrounge for ammo/supplies.

My issues with the game were more related to its slow pace, samey environments, unsatisfying shotgun with terrible range, and general lack of interesting encounters.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What are differences (or advantages) between Darkplaces and Quakespasm? I tested both earlier today, and so far the only thing I've found is that Darkplaces seems to have more features and allows for more tweaking with the visual settings (ex. enabling cross-hairs, the option to disable model interpolation, etc.)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Quakespasm has all that too, just in different options. Play around with cvars, type r_ in the console and hit tab a bunch of times, poo poo like that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Darkplaces is most notable for it's real time lighting features, Quakespasm is more meant to be like normal Quake and has better custom map support.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I started playing through Doom 2 recently when I remember that I've never actually beaten it before, and good god some of the levels are brutal. I'm on the Refueling Base and I cannot manage to survive the waves of Pain Elementals and Lost Souls. Probably doesn't help I started the level with minimal ammo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

Quakespasm has all that too, just in different options. Play around with cvars, type r_ in the console and hit tab a bunch of times, poo poo like that.

Is there a reference list for the commands you can input?

Elliotw2 posted:

Darkplaces is most notable for it's real time lighting features, Quakespasm is more meant to be like normal Quake and has better custom map support.
Does Quakespasm work with Quake Injector? I remember somebody bringing it up earlier in the thread, and I was interested in it, since it sounded like you could download random maps while running the game. I'd check it out, but Quaddicted is down right now.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a reference list for the commands you can input?

Does Quakespasm work with Quake Injector? I remember somebody bringing it up earlier in the thread, and I was interested in it, since it sounded like you could download random maps while running the game. I'd check it out, but Quaddicted is down right now.

Yes and yes. Practically every command line interface worth its salt, whether it's a console or a shell or whatever has tab completion, i.e. you type part of a command or variable, hit tab, and it'll cycle through possible options. Quake Injector works with every source port that can be ordered to open a specific map through a command line argument (i.e. all of them).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, I've kept using it since I moved to Quakespasm.

Edit: gently caress, beaten.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yes and yes. Practically every command line interface worth its salt, whether it's a console or a shell or whatever has tab completion, i.e. you type part of a command or variable, hit tab, and it'll cycle through possible options. Quake Injector works with every source port that can be ordered to open a specific map through a command line argument (i.e. all of them).

Sorry, what I meant was a list of commands online somewhere that describes what commands do what and maybe suggested settings/values.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Sorry, what I meant was a list of commands online somewhere that describes what commands do what and maybe suggested settings/values.

Not that I can find, but since Quakespasm is built off of Fitzquake they're probably similar. Your mileage will vary but it's close enough.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Genocyber posted:

I started playing through Doom 2 recently when I remember that I've never actually beaten it before, and good god some of the levels are brutal. I'm on the Refueling Base and I cannot manage to survive the waves of Pain Elementals and Lost Souls. Probably doesn't help I started the level with minimal ammo.

Refuelling Base is one of my favourite levels to UV pistol start and 100%. Don't forget to grab the shotgun in the secret next to the start, try to use your pistol/chaingun on zombies, and don't trigger the Pain Elemental closets until you have some firepower (or avoid them entirely, you can go around them)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

SparkTR posted:

Requiem Avenging Angel now works on modern systems by installing this patch and then placingthis file in the install directory. Then run it with nGlide. I've been waiting for a solution for this for ages so I'm really happy someone found it.

Holy baloney I can finally play this! I remember scoping out the ads in Computer Gaming World and wishing I could get it :allears:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

arcsig posted:

I just finished Doom 3 for the first time. There's really not much to comment on because I'm pretty sure everyone's already said everything that can be said about it. It wasn't a trainwreck but it was pretty boring and felt more like a Half-Life game than a Doom game.

One thing I want to say though is that the whole "everything's too dark no duct tape on mars" complaint seems pretty overblown. I played the original version, not the BFG edition, and I rarely had any problems with the darkness. Most enemies have some glowing element to them so you can see where they are without pulling out the flashlight. Even aside from that, most of the game is pretty well lit. A lot of the dark areas are just in the first few levels of the game, and the only enemies hiding in the dark are the basic zombies. Once you start fighting harder enemies the arenas are pretty reasonably lit and I rarely had to switch to my flashlight unless I was exploring dark areas to scrounge for ammo/supplies.

My issues with the game were more related to its slow pace, samey environments, unsatisfying shotgun with terrible range, and general lack of interesting encounters.
I really like Resurrection of Evil, especially on BFG edition. It brings in the super shotgun, and it's a pretty fun fast-paced campaign. BFG edition ups your movement speed as well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
With the adjustments to player speed and the sprint timer, putting a piece of tape over your sprint button makes Doom 3 a lot faster and more fun in BFG.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Heavy Metal posted:

I really like Resurrection of Evil, especially on BFG edition. It brings in the super shotgun, and it's a pretty fun fast-paced campaign. BFG edition ups your movement speed as well.
I definitely plan on playing RoE and later on maybe replaying both of them on BFG Edition to see how the changes affect my enjoyment. But for now I'm all Doom 3'd out. Going to pick a classic shooter off my backlog instead. Maybe Chaser or Redline.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Holy baloney I can finally play this! I remember scoping out the ads in Computer Gaming World and wishing I could get it :allears:

Also, install the 1.2 patch before you do the above. Forgot about that. That one runs in 64bit OSs so it should be fine.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

arcsig posted:

I definitely plan on playing RoE and later on maybe replaying both of them on BFG Edition to see how the changes affect my enjoyment. But for now I'm all Doom 3'd out. Going to pick a classic shooter off my backlog instead. Maybe Chaser or Redline.

Chaser is a trainwreck, you'll want to play Doom 3 again :q:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SparkTR posted:

Chasm The Rift is now playable on Dosbox in 640x480 resolutions without crippling performance issues if you patch it to the latest version (csmtcpip.exe is the latest) and then download this fixed exe and replace the original PS10.exe in the install directory. That combined with this patch that fixes the audio looping issues (run it in Dosbox right before launching Chasm, and remember to mount the disc drive with the '-t cdrom' line after it) fixes pretty much everything there I think.

Nice! Am I able to get it to play the soundtrack, though?

Edit: Oh nevermind. I should have checked all of those links before asking! :downs:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Guillermus posted:

Chaser is a trainwreck, you'll want to play Doom 3 again :q:

Chaser is super bad. Enemy AI is really merciless and will destroy your health meter in seconds. Also levels are super boring. It plays kinda like Devastation.

Good news about the Requiem patch, always wanted to check this game out, but at launch it had killer hardware requirements, and later it was incompatible with newer systems.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Is Chaser a trainwreck in a fun way like Daikatana or in a depressing/boring way?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Depressing/boring. It's just bad and don't trust people that say is so bad is good. Is one of the hundreds of games I own on steam that I'd return even for 10 cents of its original value just to get it off my account.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chaser's fun but it's no Alpha Prime

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I love Chaser but, understandably, not everyone shares my feelings for it. It's a living museum of FPS cliches from the late 90s and early 00s, the shooting is solid and some of the set piece levels are genuinely inspired. That said, the game is unnecessarily long, it's riddled with glitches and there's several levels you'll want to outright skip.

Your enjoyment of Chaser will hinge on your tolerance (or nostalgia) for millennial FPS mechanics and your willingness to use the command console.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Is one of the hundreds of games I own on steam that I'd return even for 10 cents of its original value just to get it off my account.

Just FYI, Steam support will remove a game from your library on request.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Convex posted:

Just FYI, Steam support will remove a game from your library on request.
Wait, seriously? I didn't know this. I actually have a "trash" category on my Steam library for games I'll never play, joke gifts like Bad Rats and Farm Frenzy Pizza Party. I should contact them so I can make my library look cleaner.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

arcsig posted:

Wait, seriously? I didn't know this. I actually have a "trash" category on my Steam library for games I'll never play, joke gifts like Bad Rats and Farm Frenzy Pizza Party. I should contact them so I can make my library look cleaner.

as of a somewhat recent steam update you can hide stuff from library

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

arcsig posted:

I actually have a "trash" category...Bad Rats

:catstare: