Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Unbalanced posted:

Should I be playing on expert difficulty if I want access to everything the game has to potentially offer? I'm not a huge fan of the frustrating enemies but I hate being locked out of content even more.

No, you can just make an Expert world later if you want the items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

RatHat posted:

No, you can just make an Expert world later if you want the items.

Hmm, I think I'll just do that. The goblin invasion nearly made me blow a blood vessel.

Thanks for the responses.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So I am using a yelets yoyo with no yoyo bag as I have yet to still find the skeleton vendor and a 73dps blade tounge with hallowed armor. My friend is using mini shark gun with hollowed armor. We(mostly my friend) killed the mechanical skeletron. What are my options for a better weapon pre plantera and just post her pre next boss?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Her: Make a flamethrower and pwn the Destroyer, then turn that minishark into a megashark.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Holyshoot posted:

So I am using a yelets yoyo with no yoyo bag as I have yet to still find the skeleton vendor and a 73dps blade tounge with hallowed armor.

Go into the underground hallow with the intent to grind some kind of item drop, he'll inevitably spawn multiple times (and block enemy spawns) on the Spiteful RNG Principle.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Indecisive posted:

idk man I recently started using yoyos also and they seem insanely good, makes swords look like a joke

in fact I just realized I could have crafted a yoyo bag ages ago, time to do that

If you haven't been using a yoyo bag, you haven't been using a yoyo correctly. Extra length and double damage? Yes please.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Holyshoot posted:

So I am using a yelets yoyo with no yoyo bag as I have yet to still find the skeleton vendor and a 73dps blade tounge with hallowed armor. My friend is using mini shark gun with hollowed armor. We(mostly my friend) killed the mechanical skeletron. What are my options for a better weapon pre plantera and just post her pre next boss?

Yelets is the best pre-plantera yoyo, although the yoyo bag is a really big deal for your damage.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yelets is the best pre-plantera yoyo, although the yoyo bag is a really big deal for your damage.

Technically Red's Throw and Valkyrie Yoyo are the best pre-plantera yoyo.

But, uh, have fun lucking out and getting that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've got a Terra Blade, should I be using a Yelets+Bag instead?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

So there's no reason to go through on expert when you have defeated everything in normal on hardmode?

It's way loving harder so the challenge is the main attraction. If you already cleared the game? I guess it would depend on what gear you have. If you are missing on a lot of stuff that would otherwise need to be farmed for (whatever rare items you can think of) then it might be worthy doing an expert run for it.

SirSamVimes posted:

I've got a Terra Blade, should I be using a Yelets+Bag instead?

Carry around both and use them depending on the situation.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jastiger posted:

I take like tons of damage from slimes because I try to slash them and they are too low/high and just hit me in the foot/head and i become frustrated.

I bounced off Terraria a few times and just managed to fall into holes and die to slimes repeatedly, too. The start for a beginner is really, really slow and you need to take in quite a bit of information to get kind of settled in.

As people said before, either make a different weapon or better just run around the surface (unlike Minecraft, Terraria maps are finite so don't worry about going for too long and/or getting lost) looking for chests and water chests (in water, obviously and can be easily overlooked if you're not expecting them to be there) because they contain a bunch of good starter gear including decent weapons and some equipment that will make your life a lot easier. Learn to use CTRL and SHIFT. I wish this was written in rainbow colors when you start a new map. Ctrl toggles smart mode which speeds up mining and placing of blocks/walls by predicting the next block to mine/place. Holding Shift will select the most appropriate item for the spot where is your cursor. That means if you're hovering over a block, it will select pickaxe, tree = axe, empty space = torch, empty space in water = waterproof light source etc. That means you don't have to switch items on the hotbar everytime you want to place a torch or even just have some light (via holding torch or something else). After you get some basic stuff build a room or rooms for you first NPC (Guide) and the other NPCs. There's a bunch of people who will move into empty suitable rooms that provide various benefits. Each has some kind of condition you need to meet before they appear. Before you head out on a larger spelunking trip be sure to prepare a decently big room just for storage (either craft chests or dig those you loot with a pickaxe) so you don't have to move chests around while they're already full.

Crafting is accessed from the inventory screen and it's this long strip of items. This is a really loving lovely way of presenting it, especially later on when there can be tens of items in that list so just click the three dots next to it to display a grid of craftable items.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 26, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was just amazed when I discovered you could place metal bars as objects and then immedeatly disappointed when I realized they're all the same model palette swapped and don't count as blocks.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

I was just amazed when I discovered you could place metal bars as objects and then immedeatly disappointed when I realized they're all the same model palette swapped and don't count as blocks.

They actually seem to be some weird form of platform.

Still, placing gold bars is perfect.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Vargs posted:

Took down Moon Lord last night, and while this portal gun is cool, I feel like the only way I'd get substantial use out of it is if it dropped out of the very first chest in the game before acquiring any grappling hooks, multiple jumps, flying mounts, wings, teleporters, or rods of discord. Seems like a waste to have it so incredibly late. Maybe if Terraria gets another major update at some point, I'll just inventory edit the thing in at the beginning of the playthrough.

This is what we did for our tshock server. Free portal guns issued at the start.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

The OP is fairly cluttered, but it sounds like there's some desire for a "New to the game? Here's some quick hints!" section. So that's what I'm going to add in next, probably near the very top.

So I'm looking for more poo poo to add to that section, to help new players.

"The sword you start with is garbage, replace it quickly"
"Ask the guide about crafting, give him an item, and he'll show you what you can make with that item."
"Houses should be at least 6 blocks high and a decent length"
"Only walls you put up yourself count for housing"
"Rope is amazing, always carry some in the early game"

and so on.

Grab a snapshot of the crafting menu hammer and stick it in the OP with a big flashing 'CLICK THIS WHEN YOU"RE TRYING TO CRAFT THINGS' siren.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Internet Kraken posted:

You can do WHAT?

Holy crap

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

drat, I'm trying to record Plantera's theme into a music box but it just ain't doing it.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Just started playing Terraria since the 1.3 update. Can't believe I've never played it before, this is SO FUN!

I'm having some trouble with The Twins, though. I just built a giant elevated arena, about 500' off the ground, with campfires, a heart lamp, and a heart statue, so I'll try them again. I've already wrecked the other two mechanical bosses (made and killed a few Hallow Mimics to grab a Daedalus bow, that thing kicks rear end with Holy Arrows) but I'm mostly using a Yelets with a bag. I've got titanium armor but I'm considering making a Hallowed armor set, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should go grab some Chlorophyte? When the time comes should I go straight for Chlorophyte gear or make Shroomyte or something?

Thanks for the help!

e: Just beat The Twins, giant elevated arena made all the difference.

ArgaWarga fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 26, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Chlorophyte armor is okay and it shoots poo poo at your enemies. It's nice because it has really high defense. Plus Chlorophyte is pretty common so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting enough bars for it, Shroomite, and Spectral armors.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Started over for the update. Managed to collect enough spider-web for the first yo-yo.

Where was this years ago. Beautiful. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xenaero posted:

You can do WHAT?

Holy crap

Coins too, I believe.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

DoubleNegative posted:

The OP is fairly cluttered, but it sounds like there's some desire for a "New to the game? Here's some quick hints!" section. So that's what I'm going to add in next, probably near the very top.

So I'm looking for more poo poo to add to that section, to help new players.

"The sword you start with is garbage, replace it quickly"
"Ask the guide about crafting, give him an item, and he'll show you what you can make with that item."
"Houses should be at least 6 blocks high and a decent length"
"Only walls you put up yourself count for housing"
"Rope is amazing, always carry some in the early game"

and so on.

You can make wooden armor. Not much defense, but better than nothing when you're just starting out. Cactus is better if you can find some.

If you can't find a hook to make a grappling hook, you can make one out of gems. Gems can also be made into early magic gear.

Fishing is a grind, but you can get cool stuff from it. Buy a net from the merchant and break open random debris you see on the ground, you can get worms and other bait this way.

If an item you find has "Material" in the description, you should show it to the guide to see what you can craft with it.

Buy a piggy bank from the merchant and keep your money in it. You can still use it to buy things when it's in the bank, and you won't drop it when you die.

If a boss fight seems too hard, make sure to craft and use buff potions. You can also make an arena and put in campfires, heart lanterns and pools of honey to improve your hp regen.

It might also be handy to have a section for "What should I be doing next?" for the suggested order of bosses etc.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

Coins too, I believe.

Yep, coins and bars. I wish the large gems for capture the flag were placeable, but at least we got item frames for that now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Between the rainbow rod and the shadowbeam staff I feel like a one man light show of pain.

:pcgaming:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 26, 2015

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

You can make wooden armor. Not much defense, but better than nothing when you're just starting out. Cactus is better if you can find some.

If you can't find a hook to make a grappling hook, you can make one out of gems. Gems can also be made into early magic gear.

Fishing is a grind, but you can get cool stuff from it. Buy a net from the merchant and break open random debris you see on the ground, you can get worms and other bait this way.

If an item you find has "Material" in the description, you should show it to the guide to see what you can craft with it.

Buy a piggy bank from the merchant and keep your money in it. You can still use it to buy things when it's in the bank, and you won't drop it when you die.

If a boss fight seems too hard, make sure to craft and use buff potions. You can also make an arena and put in campfires, heart lanterns and pools of honey to improve your hp regen.

It might also be handy to have a section for "What should I be doing next?" for the suggested order of bosses etc.

Personally, I always end up finding tons of gems before I find a hook. One gem cave = free starting grapple.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Between the rainbow rod and the shadowbeam staff I feel like a one man light show of pain.

Yeah even as melee I love leaving a death rainbow while I swing at a Boss, it's a great extra source of damage.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mrit posted:

Personally, I always end up finding tons of gems before I find a hook. One gem cave = free starting grapple.

I've always gotten the worst gem caves, they just have an assortment and I walk away with a worthless two of everything :(

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

So whats a good way to farm for mimics anyway? Been trying to set up a lava hallway underground to kill all the random skeleton shits that spawn but it seems you have to brick up an IMMENSE area to get everything to spawn where you want it - everything on the minimap it seems is where enemies can spawn? Also stuff doesn't seem to spawn directly in the lava so I might need to leave some space on the sides for the mimics to spawn. Or are there better ways to go? Running back and forth in the underworld on my Wall of Flesh platform is a possibility I guess too, was hoping for something a little less effort intense though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Indecisive posted:

So whats a good way to farm for mimics anyway? Been trying to set up a lava hallway underground to kill all the random skeleton shits that spawn but it seems you have to brick up an IMMENSE area to get everything to spawn where you want it - everything on the minimap it seems is where enemies can spawn? Also stuff doesn't seem to spawn directly in the lava so I might need to leave some space on the sides for the mimics to spawn. Or are there better ways to go? Running back and forth in the underworld on my Wall of Flesh platform is a possibility I guess too, was hoping for something a little less effort intense though.

People said to set up two dart trap to shoot mimic spawns in a big arena that will then charge at you and jump into a small lava pit to kill them. I see no reason why it shouldn't work but I spent an hour sitting in my afk grinder without a single mimic spawning. Then the second I moved a mimic spawned in a different area as if too taunt me. I don't get it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Internet Kraken posted:

People said to set up two dart trap to shoot mimic spawns in a big arena that will then charge at you and jump into a small lava pit to kill them.

This works with classic mimics, but the new biome mimics have wall-phasing and poo poo so they're immune to lava.

On the other hand, you can also just make Mimics now, 15 souls of light or night to make a key and then just put it in an empty chest.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Internet Kraken posted:

:pcgaming:

This is one situation where the NPC dialogue is perfectly readable.

"It's as bright as day in here." Uncomfortable silence. "I"m gonna go talk to the witch doctor. Don't follow me."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The White Dragon posted:

This works with classic mimics, but the new biome mimics have wall-phasing and poo poo so they're immune to lava.

On the other hand, you can also just make Mimics now, 15 souls of light or night to make a key and then just put it in an empty chest.

All I want to do is kill ice mimics for a baby snowman so it should work fine but the game continues to mock me and my desire for useless cosmetics.

VVV Yes

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2015

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I made a small world to obtain the Vampire Knives. If a Crimson Biome and a snow Biome intersect, what key will drop? Both are pretty much right on top of each other. :/

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

All I want to do is kill ice mimics for a baby snowman so it should work fine but the game continues to mock me and my desire for useless cosmetics.

Here's the best spawner I ever made. Just build something similar in an ice biome. I built something in a hallow biome and got tons of mimics in it, I just don't have a great screenshot of it so you get the dungeon one.

I stand by the campfire up there and everything spawns down on the murder floor and gets gibbed in seconds. I periodically run down to collect all the loot. You can see by the minimap and on the upper right edge of the screen that I've bricked up the right hand passage so nothing can spawn there, and all the other caverns nearby are either bricked up by me or have lava in them and are thus considered unspawnable. I couldn't believe how fast this was, it was just a horrible murderfest, I didn't have to do anything except pop the occasional caster who teleported up near me half-dead. Got dozens and dozens of shotguns and swat helmets and inferno forks and black belts and stuff. Basically all you need to do is trap one reasonably sized room, and then stand where nothing can spawn anywhere except there. In my underground hallow grinder, rather than meticulously fill in every bad spawning spot with dirt, I just brought a couple stacks of sticky dynamite and blew up a giant cavern.

A bad shot of the hallow grinder, sorry I only have the map screenshot. Stand in the middle, stuff only spawns on the bottom. I made it way too wide, that was unnecessary. There used to be spiky ball traps killing stuff on the bottom but I moved them to the dungeon grinder once I got all the hallow drops I wanted. A radar is actually pretty handy so you can see if your grinder is killing everything or if enemies are piling up in a little pocket cave somewhere. Bring hunter potions to find them if they are.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Money trough and wedding veil+dress at the buzzer. My mans feels so pretty :buddy:

I also really should head get around to the Dungeon or Hell I've wandered about Normal Jungle so much I've started seeing lava and drained natural water into it to nab like, 400 Obsidian and crafted an Obsidian skull

Soon as I check out the snow underground. And the underground desert. And move all my storage to a side location and all my various crafting stations and random staues and paintings there. So I can bomb the poo poo out of my house and start over

Replaced with, inevitably, a series of rectangles made of wood and grey brick. But a NEW series of rectangles made of wood and grey brick! I why am I so bad at working toward actual progress? Every Normal boss but the Queen Bee has been killed.. Ohh I should murder me some queen bee.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Section Z posted:

Soon as I check out the snow underground. And the underground desert. And move all my storage to a side location and all my various crafting stations and random staues and paintings there. So I can bomb the poo poo out of my house and start over

I always move to a new world for this. I think I was on my fourth world/base when I beat the Moon Lord.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

I always move to a new world for this. I think I was on my fourth world/base when I beat the Moon Lord.

While I would not be surprised if at some point in hard mode I start considering world hopping for "Only X dungeon enemy drops Y accessory to build that insane accessory in the OP, or "Jesus I miss housebuilding when I only had to worry about slimes", so far part of my stubbornness has been the intention to have this first small world be the basis of my primary location and resource.

I wonder if anything else of repute aside from Vampire Knives are Crimson specific, on that note :shepface: Though an array of treasure chests by a second world spawn point for safekeeping while doing demolitions work sounds promising

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Section Z posted:

I wonder if anything else of repute aside from Vampire Knives are Crimson specific, on that note :shepface:

Ichor's kinda nice too.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Back when I started playing in 1.2 and made my first grinder I did some looking up and IIRC it basically works like this: monsters spawn in a square radius of X blocks blocks around you so you need to make sure your arena extends at least to that height/width around the spot where you will be standing. If you make a large arena and stand at its bottom, monsters will spawn outside of the arena below you if there are any pockets in the ground.

There is a very useful article on this topic on the wiki:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/NPC_spawning

Terraria Wiki posted:

When the game decides to spawn a monster, it will first choose a random tile within a rectangle around the player. The maximum distance from the player it can choose from is 84 tiles to the left or right, and 47 tiles up or down. If the picked tile is solid block, it will try another one. If the picked tile has a wall that blocks monsters from spawning, it will also try another tile.

Once an empty tile is found, it moves down until it finds the ground. (Note that this tile CAN be more than 47 tiles vertically from the player. If it finally is outside the "Active Rectangle" it will be instantly despawned, anyway.) If there is enough space for a monster to be spawned at this location, this will be the tile it chooses. The exception to this is when the player is in an area where Harpies can be spawned. In this case the game does not attempt to find a ground tile.

The chosen tile is then checked to make sure it is not within the "safe" area around the player. Monsters cannot spawn less than 62 tiles away left or right and about 35 tiles above or below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Edit: ^^^ Are you psychic?

For the purposes of building trapped farm rooms, is it important to have it at a specific depth (just in general, not for a particular monster) to keep things spawning? Also, does it need to stretch in both directions? I looked up a guide for a simple dart/lava killbox with your back up against a wall, but this attempt and a similar one ended pretty quickly with spawns dropping to virtually nothing until I got out and ran around. Unsure if it was the depth or orientation that caused it.