Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
so... minishark -> clockwork assault rifle -> megashark -> ???

tactical shotgun? shot bow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
-> S.D.M.G from the Moon Lord

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Uzi is arguably better than Megashark, though not enough to grind for if you've already got the shark.
Personally I switched to melee after Plantera and stayed with it until I got Tsunami.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Metos posted:

-> S.D.M.G from the Moon Lord

Also Vortex Beater before that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, me and a friend beat the Moon Lord.
Thinking of trying out Expert Mode, does it let us carry over our characters or do we have to start over with new ones?

And on another note, are there any games like Terraria with its loot and progression but in 3D? I was thinking of checking out Minecraft at some point, I heard about some mods one could use to make it more RPG-esque.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Deakul posted:

And on another note, are there any games like Terraria with its loot and progression but in 3D? I was thinking of checking out Minecraft at some point, I heard about some mods one could use to make it more RPG-esque.

If you're like me you'll be very disappointed (especially with vanilla MC). I'm biased against Minecraft as you might deduce from my post, it's mainly because I bought it in alpha and it never materialized into even a 1/100 of game the likes of Terraria. And that's after 6 years. Some people just know what they want the game to be and some people kind of flail around producing half-assed product and are only saved by other people's creations being added on top of their "game".

My little rant aside, I'm definitely also interested in something akin to Terraria. If there any interesting games that went by me unnoticed hopefully someone will chime in.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Closest I can think of atm are minecraft modpacks hexxit, omp-sigma, and omp-i. These are the few modpacks I know of with loot and dungeons that are edited to be rewarding. Combat's still kind of poo poo but at the least you'll be able to eventually shoot lightening and fly if you learn how to use the mods.

Of course they're far more like learning a complicated college course than going on a simple rpg adventure like terraria, baby's first space race is a good modpack for getting the basics of how to work with modded minecraft.

Do not play agrarian skies for that. It's tedious as poo poo and also pretty much expects you to know how to cheese the game from the start despite people saying that it will teach you how to use tech mods and automate. You'll have to get through HOURS of the game to get enough iron to make the basic tech things and that's IF you manage the early painful parts with shifting through dirt, not falling off a platform, and knowing what is the right food to feed your constantly starving character.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

lordfrikk posted:

If you're like me you'll be very disappointed (especially with vanilla MC). I'm biased against Minecraft as you might deduce from my post, it's mainly because I bought it in alpha and it never materialized into even a 1/100 of game the likes of Terraria. And that's after 6 years. Some people just know what they want the game to be and some people kind of flail around producing half-assed product and are only saved by other people's creations being added on top of their "game".

Yes, I agree with that assessment of vanilla minecraft. For as popular as it is, it is really a badly programmed non-game. It feels like a modest indie game experiment not something that earned its creator millions and has merchandise and will have movies and poo poo.

Modded minecraft is another story - I find it interesting because it's evolving in a far different way than any regular game made to sell, not necessarily in a better or worse way but in a completely unlikely way.

Terraria has evolved far more each official update, and for all the poo poo given to its combat and stuff it's pretty much the best of its genre when it comes to open world building games.

Continuing to try to be helpful and probably failing: Removing the building aspect if you're looking for action-rpgs maybe check out the roguelike megathread, it contains both the complicated ascii roguelikes and games more in the vein of ftl and binding of isaac, some of which I had never heard of. Only 3d one that gets recommended is Eldritch, which is a game I like but it kind of has poor loot and is more about avoiding combat.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Oh man, just got a Laser Machinegun off a UFO. It's pretty but uses so much mana it's not of any real use... until you wield it with Life Regen Spectre Armor and Celestial Cuffs. The LMG uses mana very fast, so you need to be constantly standing on spikes or taking hits from enemies to refill your mana constantly from the Celestial Cuffs converting damage to mana, then LMG firing at full speed creates so much life regen that you can never run out of life as long as you've got enemies to fire at. I was able to stand still and facetank Skeletron Prime, just firing the LMG point-blank into him and getting back hundreds of life a second while he flailed ineffectively at me with his pathetic arms and spinning skull attack that's only good for refilling my mana bar.

I think I'm ready for the Halloween event.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
If you guys haven't checked out TerrariaPatcher lately, I highly recommend it. Rather than just having a way to hack in static set of changes to the game like it used to be, it now has a full plugin API and there are tons of useful plugins.

Examples include inventory sorting (including the option to auto-trash any items you don't want, bye-bye dirt stacks!), drop rate modifiers, item spawning/duplicating, NPC/enemy spawning, the ability to use the crafting guide from anywhere, and a bunch more.

It's essentially a way to play the game in "creative mode" and you can even hit a key to turn off spawns temporarily so you can build without interruption. I'm using it to build a full NPC town at the spawn of a large world, including a bunch of storage and quality of life things (like teleporters to each NPC room). Then I'm sticking a brand new character in the world and playing all the way to Moon Lord without the mods. It's actually more enjoyable doing it this way compared to TEdit since you get immediate feedback on if your designs are viable.

Edit: It's also usually updated for new Terraria versions the same day, sometimes the next day at the latest. The mod itself also sees multiple updates a week with new plugins being added almost daily.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I had never seen a salamander before looking at the wiki, and wanted to know why because frankly they're adorable. Turns out, you inexplicably and randomly get two monsters chosen out of the group of Salamander / Crawdad / Giant Shelly to populate your caverns with at worldgen.

code:
public static void setWorldMonsters()
{
Random random = new Random(Main.worldID);
int num = random.Next(3);
int num2 = random.Next(3);
while (num == num2)
{
num = random.Next(3);
}
for (int i = 0; i < 2; i++)
{
int num3 = num;
if (i == 1)
{
num3 = num2;
}
for (int j = 0; j < 3; j++)
{
if (num3 == 0)
{
NPC.cavernMonsterType[i, j] = random.Next(494, 496);
}
else
{
if (num3 == 1)
{
NPC.cavernMonsterType[i, j] = random.Next(496, 498);
}
else
{
NPC.cavernMonsterType[i, j] = random.Next(498, 507);
}
}
}
}
}

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well that explains why I've never seen a shelly.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Voltin Bolt posted:

I had never seen a salamander before looking at the wiki, and wanted to know why because frankly they're adorable. Turns out, you inexplicably and randomly get two monsters chosen out of the group of Salamander / Crawdad / Giant Shelly to populate your caverns with at worldgen.

code:
public static void setWorldMonsters()
{
Random random = new Random(Main.worldID);
int num = random.Next(3);
int num2 = random.Next(3);
while (num == num2)
{
num = random.Next(3);
}
for (int i = 0; i < 2; i++)
{
int num3 = num;
if (i == 1)
{
num3 = num2;
}
for (int j = 0; j < 3; j++)
{
if (num3 == 0)
{
NPC.cavernMonsterType[i, j] = random.Next(494, 496);
}
else
{
if (num3 == 1)
{
NPC.cavernMonsterType[i, j] = random.Next(496, 498);
}
else
{
NPC.cavernMonsterType[i, j] = random.Next(498, 507);
}
}
}
}
}

:stare:

Those bastards.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I am having a whole lot of trouble beating the Destroyer. On my best attempt I got a tenth of his health taken off before I died. Any tips? I have a full set of palladium armor, my weapons are Amarok and a Clockwork Rifle with Silver Bullets for when I run out of mana for my Laser Rifle, and my accessories are Fairy Wings, a Yoyo Bag, a Charm of Myths, an Obsidian shield, and a pair of Frostspark boots.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ariong posted:

I am having a whole lot of trouble beating the Destroyer. On my best attempt I got a tenth of his health taken off before I died. Any tips? I have a full set of palladium armor, my weapons are Amarok and a Clockwork Rifle with Silver Bullets for when I run out of mana for my Laser Rifle, and my accessories are Fairy Wings, a Yoyo Bag, a Charm of Myths, an Obsidian shield, and a pair of Frostspark boots.

Upgrade. Amarok's good, and Clockwork Rifle isn't terrible, but Laser Rifle is trash, and you've got two more levels of ore that you have access to right now. If you really want to use Magic, Crystal Storm, Meteor Staff, or Golden Shower (even if he's immune to Ichor now, it's still infinite piercing) are good options. You should also try to get a Nimbus Rod.

You've also got way better options for bullets now than Silver Bullets. Crystal Bullets are more or less the go-to for Mechanical bosses.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, I have almost enough Orichalcum to make a full suit but I'll be damned if every last bit doesn't seem to have disappeared lately. I also turned all of my titanium into a drill thinking I would need it like I needed the previous two, so I'm starting from scratch there. I was thinking of making Golden Shower, I'll get started on that.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

You can also make a bunch of hallow mimics until you get a Daedalus Bow, it'll wreck the destroyer with holy arrows.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh! I also have an imp staff and the table that gives you the +1 minion buff. Is there a better minion thing I could have or are the imps fine?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Imps aren't much good in my opinion, but I don't remember if you can craft anything right now that's better.

If it's raining stay out and kill Angry Nimbus', the Nimbus Rod is hella good and works wonders against the Destroyer. Also make sure your arena is good enough, with heart lanterns and campfires giving full coverage (stars in a bottle too, depending on how much you use magic).

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
You can make the Spider Staff (and the Queen Spider staff, which doesn't count for your minion count) using Spider Fangs from the Hardmode spiders that spawn now in Spider Nests, but it's not immensely better than Imps.

The Pirate staff, however, is, which is a random drop from pirates in the pirate invasion. Just kill a bunch of enemies in the ocean biome to get a Pirate map, which summons the invasion.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ariong posted:

Get some souls of light, use them to summon hallowed mimics and kill them until you get a Daedalus Stormbow. Then get some holy arrows.

Congrats, you beat the Destroyer!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'll get right on it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Gobblecoque posted:

Get some souls of light, use them to summon hallowed mimics and kill them until you get a Daedalus Stormbow. Then get some holy arrows.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I killed the Destroyer in about 10 seconds because he approached at an angle where my nimbus cloud's rain pierced his entire body and just shredded him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You don't necessarily have to grind mimics for the daedelus. The Destroyer is hilariously vulnerable to piercing, just a decent crossbow and some platforms will work (I did it with orichalchum repeater + jester arrows, but holy arrows are probably better).

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Cool, I beat the Cultist and now 50% of my world is walled off behind grinding hundreds of massively damaging HP sponges. Any advice for dealing with Expert Lunar stuff or am I better just tossing out what I've done and rolling a new world?

Expert started off as an entertaining challenge, but since Hard Mode hit the actual combat in the game has been nothing but a chore.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Enallyniv posted:

Cool, I beat the Cultist and now 50% of my world is walled off behind grinding hundreds of massively damaging HP sponges. Any advice for dealing with Expert Lunar stuff or am I better just tossing out what I've done and rolling a new world?

Find the Vortex pillar and stand right at the edge of the biome change. Move in, kill a few monsters, back out. Repeat until the pillar shield drops.
KIll pillar (it's not tough) and grab the fragments. Make incredibly badass weapons from them. Murder everything.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ariong posted:

Yeah, I have almost enough Orichalcum to make a full suit but I'll be damned if every last bit doesn't seem to have disappeared lately. I also turned all of my titanium into a drill thinking I would need it like I needed the previous two, so I'm starting from scratch there. I was thinking of making Golden Shower, I'll get started on that.

Palladium armor is probably the best one until you get to chlorophyte, at least for bosses. The set bonus gets pretty ridiculous if you stack it with everything else that boosts regeneration.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I beat the pirate invasion and got the lucky coin, the gold ring, and the discount card!

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Ariong posted:

An easy way to cheese the destroyer is to build a floating house about 50 blocks up where he can't reach you with the nurse in a chamber upstairs (not too close to you so probes don't kill her). Here's the building I did (I would suggest expanding the bottom room horizontally to kill probes easier). In a small world you may get harpies and wyverns but having the nurse there with some sunflowers will decrease the chances. This set-up will let you use any ranged weapon and helps prevent getting killed by lasers

Edit: I would also suggest switching out your imp staff for the spider fang minions + queen summon. You'll get more damage and they deal with the probes much better.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ariong posted:

I beat the pirate invasion and got the lucky coin, the gold ring, and the discount card!

all in one invasion? :staredog:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ariong posted:

combine them into a Greedy ring to save space

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

all in one invasion? :staredog:

Yeah! The wiki says they're all rare, so I figured it was notable. Didn't get the pirate staff though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'd got the pirate stuff and discount card I think in my first pirate invasion. Which was good, because pirate invasions will loving murder you if you're not on the level where you could stand up against the mechanical bosses, and I definitely wasn't ready, so some compensation was due for that. :catstare:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Voltin Bolt posted:

drat, that's odd. i was trying to figure this out too- i thought maybe crimson worlds had crawdads and corrupt worlds had shellies, but it turns out it's even weirder.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the info about spawning, finally got my mimic farm up, took about 10 kills to get the cross necklace, in which time I fought 4-5 each of the Rune Wizard, Tim, and Skeletal Merchant (fought him by dropping him in the lava), and 1x Nymph. Then the Destroyer spawned naturally and I killed it in a hole in the ground, after getting murdered horribly the first time around.

Turns out I went way, WAY overboard with the dirt though :v:

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Is there an efficient way to get souls of light? I tried making a meteor biome underground in the hallow, but everything but the meteors seemed to drop souls and at a very low rate.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

The Lone Badger posted:

Find the Vortex pillar and stand right at the edge of the biome change. Move in, kill a few monsters, back out. Repeat until the pillar shield drops.
KIll pillar (it's not tough) and grab the fragments. Make incredibly badass weapons from them. Murder everything.

Thanks, this was the ticket.

Didn't realise that I'd brought the barrier down on the summoning one already - the dragon's wrecking poo poo now, and I've got myself some ordnance.

Roshambo posted:

Is there an efficient way to get souls of light? I tried making a meteor biome underground in the hallow, but everything but the meteors seemed to drop souls and at a very low rate.

To stop this exact thing, they made Meteor Heads drop nothing ever in Hard Mode. :(

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

YF-23 posted:

I'd got the pirate stuff and discount card I think in my first pirate invasion. Which was good, because pirate invasions will loving murder you if you're not on the level where you could stand up against the mechanical bosses, and I definitely wasn't ready, so some compensation was due for that. :catstare:

Really? I didn't have that much trouble with it. Golden Shower was a big help, and the walls of my boss arena kept the Flying Dutchman out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

YF-23 posted:

Pirate Invasion is easy when you realize that the entire invasion is completely incapable of doing anything through walls. Lava pits, traps, Daedalus, Meteor Staff, use anything that lets you attack through walls, hide in a box, and your good.