Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

nuru posted:

It's not so much the lack of point as the hilariously tilted road for crafting once you hit 60 on them. If I decide to go craft 450 red scrips right now it will cost me approximately 2.25 million gil based on MB material prices for the CUL materials I need. That's for a single week.

You're right that it's fine if you just want to level them then not really do much with it beyond tinkering.

Yeah, I've noticed that in general the amount of money it costs to buy those scrip materials is... upsetting. And I haven't even gotten enough stuff to do red scrips (I still need to get enough blue scrips to have THAT set, argh)

I take the same approach with the stupid clicker games i play on my phone, where if I plug away at it for a few minutes at a time over a long period of time, eventually I'll get there. And if not, oh well!

Fister Roboto posted:

If the CUL turnin is too expensive... maybe try a different class? I did my weekly on CRP, and it was cheap as gently caress.

CRP is hilarious, you've got the wood necklace and wood ring that cost all of like 40-50k for the mats one day, then that same slot will have a bow that costs 5 times that in mats for the same amount of scrips. I really wish I had GSM levelled up because gems/ingots seems to be where the big bucks are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

It certainly isn't the first final fantasy game to go there. Frankly it's so stupid that it's great.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If the CUL turnin is too expensive... maybe try a different class? I did my weekly on CRP, and it was cheap as gently caress.

That was my cheapest at the time of the post, but your solution is terrible because it assumes someone has other classes to choose from (and wasn't the point that that wasn't where we were going with this in HW?).

But even going by the quoted 40-50k above, you're looking something like 920k-2.25m per week to get 450 red scrip if the turn in is 45k and gives 9-22 scrip each.

nuru fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 27, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kirbysuperstar posted:

You seriously do not need another set for level synced dungeons.

You don't need one but it can make things go faster if you already have the gear around. I had a 110 set when I was farming dungeon atma and it was a noticable dps increase over my 130 set because it had zero accuracy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Materials are okay to make some pocket change on but you frequently have to take a holiday from the market board when some turd rolls up with stacks on stacks of cheap chimerical felt or whatever.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

nuru posted:

That was my cheapest at the time of the post, but your solution is terrible because it assumes someone has other classes to choose from (and wasn't the point that that wasn't where we were going with this in HW?).

But even going by the quoted 40-50k above, you're looking something like 920k-2.25m per week to get 450 red scrip if the turn in is 45k and gives 9-22 scrip each.

The 40-50k was blue scrip, for what it's worth.

And yeah, one of the reasons I went on and continued doing this when I came back was because I thought the point was you were only going to be levelling a couple classes to 60 anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

Yeah I guess I shouldn't assume that someone wouldn't level only a single class and then whine about that one class being too expensive. Silly me!

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I mean all the arguments about 50+ being a money sink aside, even if you do nothing but your GC turning each day you'll slowly but surely see a decent amount of progress. Doing one is usually good for 1/5th-1/6th of a level alone, and if they're starred then you're looking at double that amount. It's a relatively low-effort way to raise all your crafting classes.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I guess the queues for the new Frontline are finally beginning to slow down. PvP is terrible, but I've found they're a fun source for farming law and esoterics. A lot better than the same 2 dungeons over and over.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Sounds like just jumping in and having fun is the name of the game then.

Another question, and it may or may not be dumb: when crafting, do I have to pay attention to the time, the alignment of the moon and stars, the way my character is facing, the way I the player am facing, the or the number of coffee grounds in my cup in order to keep from completely ruining the craft, a la FF11? Or can I just pay attention to the prompts as they appear on screen?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fount of knowledge posted:

I mean all the arguments about 50+ being a money sink aside, even if you do nothing but your GC turning each day you'll slowly but surely see a decent amount of progress. Doing one is usually good for 1/5th-1/6th of a level alone, and if they're starred then you're looking at double that amount. It's a relatively low-effort way to raise all your crafting classes.

Gathering is super easy to do daily GC turn ins right now because most turn ins are dirt cheap on the MB. All three of mine are 55 with no actual gathering so far.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sethimothy posted:

Another question, and it may or may not be dumb: when crafting, do I have to pay attention to the time, the alignment of the moon and stars, the way my character is facing, the way I the player am facing, the or the number of coffee grounds in my cup in order to keep from completely ruining the craft, a la FF11? Or can I just pay attention to the prompts as they appear on screen?

Forget literally everything you know about FF11.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

e: wrong thread

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Don't let these guys scare you off, there is still a lot of value to be had in getting your crafts to 60 regardless of how silly the endgame for crafting is. That said, do it because you like doing it. If you hate it, don't feel obligated.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

Don't let these guys scare you off, there is still a lot of value to be had in getting your crafts to 60 regardless of how silly the endgame for crafting is. That said, do it because you like doing it. If you hate it, don't feel obligated.

Do, however, feel obligated to get all the ones that repair your gear to 50 and carry dark matter around.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

Everyone who keeps saying crafting is great should level their crafts to 60, look at the endgame, and then revise their statements when they try to convince new people to craft.

Crafting is now truly something you only do past 50 if you really want to craft.

I got all my DoHs to 60, I'm unsure as to how much I want to involve myself in the red scrip system but I still don't regret it really. At the very least, I'm glad to be able to cook my own food with the help of my retainers and some unspoiled node gathering, and if the level 60 potions ever become more economical to use I'll be happy to make those too.

Failboattootoot posted:

Basically this. The red scrip system is scary for I think all but a very small subset of people, but if you enjoy the journey I think it's worth reaching 60 and being able to make some neat things like random minions, glamour items, and food as compensation.

fount of knowledge posted:

There is this too. Hell, if you start with base materials and craft yourself up to HQing the turnins, it's reasonably fast progress. I'd say two weeks 50 to 60, give or take.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gathering is super easy to do daily GC turn ins right now because most turn ins are dirt cheap on the MB. All three of mine are 55 with no actual gathering so far.

Wait what? How do I do this?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So just random bitching, I'm the person who hates 60 blm. Scrub, git gud, whatever, it took a class I did like and made it stressful and unenjoyable for me. So on that, have any other blms jumped ship, and if so, to what ship did you jump to? I have a mnk at 60 but it just isn't satisfying in the way 2.0 blm was. I'd like something that is essentially the fury war of classes. Because simplicity and hitting hard are valuable qualities.

e: further proof I am an idiot

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 27, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If you already didn't like it then why do you care that it became stressful and unenjoyable? Unless that was a typo I guess?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Sorry to ask, but could someone repost that "so you finished the story quest, now what" guide?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Etrips posted:

Under the Timers menu, you can pull up a list of what your Grand Company is requesting as a turnin that day. You then go buy whatever it is they want, and then go to your Grand Company's headquarters and do a Provisioning Quest. You don't even have to turn into the applicable class, so you can just buy everything on the list, turn it all in, and gain 15-20% of a level on all those classes all at once.

sethimothy posted:

Yeah none of that matters. It's actually all based off of a surprisingly fun system of actions you do before the item falls apart. It's really fun.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

sethimothy posted:

Crafting is about using abilities to fill bars, there are a lot of factors to pay attention to but it's not as opaque as XI. Almost everything is very clearly spelled out in the abilities and the prompt with the exception of some of the tooltips for the level 50-60 abilities.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Sorry to ask, but could someone repost that "so you finished the story quest, now what" guide?

Here you go.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Etrips posted:

Press ctrl+u to pull up your list of various timers. Click on your grand company. Buy what it lists under the provisioning portion. NQ of the 51-55 turn ins range from 50-200 gil a pop usually. HQ ones will be a bit higher, but still not too pricey to just buy. Buy them and head to your grand company or any GC levemates around the world (one in Camp Drybone for example - does not have to be your own GC if you choose this route), and click supply & provisioning missions.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

sethimothy posted:

I'd just like to point out that all of those things you listed were in fact bullshit hocus pocus even back in FF11. The only things that effected your success rate were your crafting skill level and what ingame day it was.

Here the only RNG factors are when you try to use abilities that have a less than 100% success rate (you will use these a lot) and whether the next step will be Good, Normal, or Excellent. When a step succeeds the value increase is predictable based on your stats and buffs.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

kafziel posted:

Do, however, feel obligated to get all the ones that repair your gear to 50 and carry dark matter around.

People keep saying this, but how the heck do all of you manage to avoid a place with a mender for so long that you'd ever need to self-repair? They're everywhere!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Obligatum VII posted:

People keep saying this, but how the heck do all of you manage to avoid a place with a mender for so long that you'd ever need to self-repair? They're everywhere!

Selfrepair gives you bonus durability and is cheaper than spending gil. But its not needed for that exact reason.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Standing under the flame jets with blood price up for free MP in AS1 is satisfying.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The only place I ever used self repair was chain running primals for light.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

kafziel posted:

I'm kinda curious about unsyc turn 13. I mean, the plan for that was always using the tank LB3 to survive Teraflare, but you don't build limit when you're outleveling everything by that much. How do you get through it now? Does everyone have enough HP that it's cool?

In 130 you could survive with LB2 (barely).

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
You can repair in dungeons or even mid fight yourself which is worth it. The last thing anyone wants is to have to reset a raid or something because some turd didn't repair. Its especially good now that Faust is not saved in savage alex and every time you enter you still have to fight him.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Press ctrl+u to pull up your list of various timers. Click on your grand company. Buy what it lists under the provisioning portion. NQ of the 51-55 turn ins range from 50-200 gil a pop usually. HQ ones will be a bit higher, but still not too pricey to just buy. Buy them and head to your grand company or any GC levemates around the world (one in Camp Drybone for example - does not have to be your own GC if you choose this route), and click supply & provisioning missions.

Can you do this sub level 50?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

This is a troll, right?

right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Niton posted:

This is a troll, right?

right?

Hopefully not, its about time the playerbase would git gud to experience the story, no more pandering to the casuals.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Etrips posted:

Can you do this sub level 50?

You can do it the second you unlock a crafting class, assuming you've progressed far enough in the story to join a GC of course.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Niton posted:

This is a troll, right?

right?

hahahaha

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Fister Roboto posted:

You can do it the second you unlock a crafting class, assuming you've progressed far enough in the story to join a GC of course.

Well poo poo, what other things have I been missing that I can passively do like this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Whizbang posted:

The only place I ever used self repair was chain running primals for light.

It's both cheaper and more convenient to literally always use self-repair.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Etrips posted:

Well poo poo, what other things have I been missing that I can passively do like this.

You can turn in most green, blue, and pink gear for GC seals.

There's also the Ixali daily quests, which are a great way to powerlevel crafting classes.

cheetah7071 posted:

It's both cheaper and more convenient to literally always use self-repair.

You can even repair in the middle of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Niton posted:

This is a troll, right?

right?

Troll or not it's great.

• Locked thread