Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
There's plenty of negativity in r/warhammer, but I think what you're seeing is "evaporative cooling of group beliefs." A group pisses a bunch of people off, pissed off people leave and go elsewhere, everything seems cheery in the group because the nay sayers are gone. I was surprised at the # of people posting happy pictures of their pro-painted sigmarines on r/warhammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not convinced AoS is going to fail, actually. Just a reminder: terrible, terrible games - like Monopoly - can and do make bajillions of dollars. I think it's likely AoS will fail, but I won't be shocked if it succeeds.

How many monopoly sets can you buy for the same price of a single AoS starter?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
All the discussion about the "Garden of Morr" got me to have a look at it. I have no idea how I missed this terrain but it's beautiful..

Also nice is I found an Australian shop with it in stock willing to sell it to me for 50 Australian Funnymoneys.

Now my warmachine pistol wraiths have something thematically appropriate to hide behind.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not convinced AoS is going to fail, actually. Just a reminder: terrible, terrible games - like Monopoly - can and do make bajillions of dollars. I think it's likely AoS will fail, but I won't be shocked if it succeeds.

WARHAMMER AOS: The Monopoly of Fantasy Battles.

Anyway, I got linked here and it's been an entertaining read, condolences on your game guys. :sympathy:

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Business Gorillas posted:

How many monopoly sets can you buy for the same price of a single AoS starter?

About 2 and a half if it's brand new and something like "Nintendo Monopoly" or something.

Also Monopoly really is targeted at kids and parents to teach the very basics of capitalism and the real estate industry. I am not sure what Age of Sigmar can teach anyone.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Shadoer posted:

I am not sure what Age of Sigmar can teach anyone.

How to waste money?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shadoer posted:

About 2 and a half if it's brand new and something like "Nintendo Monopoly" or something.

Also Monopoly really is targeted at kids and parents to teach the very basics of capitalism and the real estate industry. I am not sure what Age of Sigmar can teach anyone.

Age of Sigmar teaches children about capitalism and why it must be destroyed :ussr:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Age of Sigmar teaches children about capitalism and why it must be destroyed :ussr:

Age of sigmar teaches that those that purport to be the "good guys" are not actually your friends and may in fact be exploiting you and your biases for their own ends.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
If this thread is anything to go by, Age of Sigmar teaches you that there are other cool miniatures wargames out there that you should really give a chance.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shadoer posted:

Monopoly actually just teaches kids that whether or not you make money or lose money is entirely random, based on who was lucky enough to land on the right spots during the first fifteen minutes; that going to jail is a great way to collect rent while avoiding paying rent; that exploiting your friends with uneven trades of property so you can get the green block is the key to victory; and that if you are the first player eliminated, you better have something to occupy yourself, by yourself, while the other players spend another hour or more finishing the game without you.

In short, it's a terrible "game" that has inexplicably endured for something like 80 years, demonstrating that on a very wide scale, average americans have terrible taste in family boardgames and/or are basically stupid and easily entertained.

This is good news for GW's shareholders.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I would bet that an overwhelming majority of people would consider Monopoly a fine game and look at you blankly when you started talking about game design. People who take board games seriously are a tiny part of the already small group that plays board games at all. I believe AoS will fail because other then diehard hams, it doesn't have any appeal to random nerds. It doesn't really have familiar fantasy tropes and names, so isn't likely to attract a second glance, at least not more then the other skirmish games out there.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Why is monopoly terrible?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oasx posted:

I could rant about it but tons of other people already have.

Here's a reasonably good one:
https://danq.me/2013/04/03/monopoly/

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Oasx posted:

People put free/tax money on Free Parking and don't auction off spaces if a player chooses not to buy them.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Scowny posted:

No forum will ever be as great as EoW. Ogre dicks for everyone.

holy poo poo you're still alive

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Monopoly actually just teaches kids that whether or not you make money or lose money is entirely random, based on who was lucky enough to land on the right spots during the first fifteen minutes; that going to jail is a great way to collect rent while avoiding paying rent; that exploiting your friends with uneven trades of property so you can get the green block is the key to victory; and that if you are the first player eliminated, you better have something to occupy yourself, by yourself, while the other players spend another hour or more finishing the game without you.

In short, it's a terrible "game" that has inexplicably endured for something like 80 years, demonstrating that on a very wide scale, average americans have terrible taste in family boardgames and/or are basically stupid and easily entertained.

Yeah like he said it teaches kids about capitalism

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Congrats thread, you got called out on garagehammer

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

drgnvale posted:

Congrats thread, you got called out on garagehammer

Oh? What did they say?

Edit: Ah about moderation and how Age of Sigmar has really polarized things.

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 27, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shadoer posted:

Oh? What did they say?

Edit: Ah about moderation and how Age of Sigmar has really polarized things.

some of us might want a better explanation :toot:

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

It's about how "Not a Viking" mentioned he left the Garagehammer facebook page because of how hard he got shat on for saying he didn't like Age of Sigmar and they are shocked at how polarized things are and that they are having to moderate their facebook page. That and how some people either love Age of Sigmar or hate it, nothing in between and understanding that while they are giving Age of Sigmar a chance they are acknowledging that a bunch of people have just watched their game died and are joining other games.

Edit: That and that they will be expanding the show to cover other games.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

They hadn't heard of SA, guy quoted some posts talking about how sad it was to see how disappointed they seemed in the previous episode, quoted some posts about how hostile the face lol group had gotten, then saying that the podcast won't end.

I'm always amused when people talk about SA for the first time. At least he didn't dig deeper since the host doesn't seem like the type to appreciate older SA humor.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne

adamantium|wang posted:

holy poo poo you're still alive
Age of Sigmar brought me back to start playing Kings of War.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Scowny posted:

No forum will ever be as great as EoW. Ogre dicks for everyone.

I feel that, through screens etc, we at least have continuity with the wall of jiggling dickogres, at least in spirit.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah my family never was very fond of it, we preferred scattagories, Kid Pictionary, and Life.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

drgnvale posted:

They hadn't heard of SA, guy quoted some posts talking about how sad it was to see how disappointed they seemed in the previous episode, quoted some posts about how hostile the face lol group had gotten, then saying that the podcast won't end.

I'm always amused when people talk about SA for the first time. At least he didn't dig deeper since the host doesn't seem like the type to appreciate older SA humor.

Funny coincidence, I actually emailed David Witek after they recorded the episode (but before it aired) to quote another poster about why David is such a great community personality.

Also, the alpha for SwedishHammer is out. Fixes a lot of things like broken rules, magic spells, items and point costs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BdUboMHSwUrb4NHIqP4OihW7OL03V91gWrF79Ha0_2I/pub#h.q1wzzc91aeu

VVV

Its all we've been talking about for dozens of pages. I don't think they are going to back pedal (if that is what "new coke situation" means), GW are "all in" with AoS.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 27, 2015

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread- i just found out that they're killing Warhammer Fantasy- do you think this could end up being a "new coke" type situation if it flops hard enough?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

bencreateddisco posted:

not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread- i just found out that they're killing Warhammer Fantasy- do you think this could end up being a "new coke" type situation if it flops hard enough?

Not a chance, GW is all in on AoS. If it flops it'll likely just be deemed that "people don't want to play fantasy games any more" and they'll just give 40k the Sigmar treatment instead.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not a chance, GW is all in on AoS. If it flops it'll likely just be deemed that "people don't want to play fantasy games any more" and they'll just give 40k the Sigmar treatment instead.

Or that fantasy will finally get buried and 40k will be the sole line.

And then morons will go "But you see fantasy, the world's most-played fantasy battles game, didn't sell as much as their other products..."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

spectralent posted:

And then morons will go "But you see fantasy, the world's most-played fantasy battles game, didn't sell as much as their other products..."

All the while scratching their heads as to why people seem to be buying less and less GW stuff, in favor of some game called Infinity Kings of Bolt Action Warmachine X-Wing. :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Sydney Bottocks posted:

All the while scratching their heads as to why people seem to be buying less and less GW stuff, in favor of some game called Infinity Kings of Bolt Action Warmachine X-Wing. :v:

Nah, they'll ignore those and accuse people who stopped buying AoS stuff of being poorly paid.

This trend is seriously gross, by the way.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

"Those losers don't deserve our product!!"

*Increases prices by ten per cent*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jiggling dick ogres and huge human being were the best parts of EOW. and that 40k comic we made

Phoon posted:

Yeah like he said it teaches kids about capitalism
Sadly a lot of people got the wrong lessons about capitalism from monopoly and think it's all cool and good. :(

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The free parking house rule is interesting as people use it because the feel the game as written is too harsh - it becomes the equivalent of welfare/redistribution/social security, but all it usually does is drag the game on for longer without changing the outcome. Monopoly is a very good satire.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

spectralent posted:

In a way they may have planned for that. If the rumors of Horus Heresy Plastics from GW are true, it will mean there will be Warhammer 40k and 30k, making having Fantasy around a much lower priority.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
AoS is not Warhammer: Monopoly, it's Warhammer: Munchkin. All it's good for is one read to chuckle/roll eyes at the jokes, it drags on too long for something that shallow, and since Munchkin is somehow really popular, :smithicide:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 27, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Chill la Chill posted:

Jiggling dick ogres and huge human being were the best parts of EOW. and that 40k comic we made

I often think of cool wargamer and his negative loving attitude.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I remember there was a subforum besides Slaaneshi Pleasure Palace but I was never cool enough to see the posts in it.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Pierzak posted:

AoS is not Warhammer: Monopoly, it's Warhammer: Munchkin. All it's good for is one read to chuckle/roll eyes at the jokes, it drags on too long for something that shallow, and since Munchkin is somehow really popular, :smithicide:

Wow this seems like a surprisingly perfect description. The big difference is that where munchkin is cheap and appeals to a very basic understanding of traditional games (most people play with some deck of cards at some point), AoS has absolutely no appeal to anyone except hobbyists that either don't want it or have better choices. This might be different by the time we have AoS 2e or the new armies have been fleshed out and we get more tactical options. If they bring back equipment management, that alone would go a long way towards adding a competitive nature into the game.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Shadoer posted:

In a way they may have planned for that. If the rumors of Horus Heresy Plastics from GW are true, it will mean there will be Warhammer 40k and 30k, making having Fantasy around a much lower priority.

But... but... aren't these literally the same game, in the same genre, set in the same setting, at basically the same time tech wise?

Can a company really say those two games are it's portfolio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Doctor Borris posted:

But... but... aren't these literally the same game, in the same genre, set in the same setting, at basically the same time tech wise?

Can a company really say those two games are it's portfolio?

To be fair 30k does look like the platonic ideal of :GW: at the moment, being a game where you can only play space marines and the models are all eleven million dollars each.

• Locked thread