Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Cleretic posted:

I'm putting that one on the Australian accent itself. Something about it, when surrounded by non-Australian accents (particularly Americans), just makes it sound awful.

That might just be me, though.

Mister Chief posted:

I'm a New Zealander and I feel the same way when I hear our accent in isolation.

In my opinion, just about every accent sounds weird and odd out of context, at least until you get used to it. American accents sound fine when you're watching an American film, but if I meet an American here in Australia, the accent seems about 10 times stronger and suddenly blisteringly nasal than it ever does in its context. Going from a podcast with New Zealand hosts, and then listening to an American podcast straight afterwards, when I'd just tuned my ear to the NZ accents, made the American accents sound really wrong and horrible.

There's a random Australian flight attendant in Inception and when I heard them speak I went "wait...what?" But if you hear a person or a character say more than one line or one sentence, your brain adjusts and it no longer sounds weird or bad. Goes for any out-of-place accent anywhere.

I do wish that when people in movies wanted an Australian, they actually cast one. The accents done by Bambi in Sense8, and by the Australians in Pacific Rim are just terrible. And they don't make sense. None of those parts are played by big name actors and Hollywood has heaps of Australian actors just rattling around - why not grab one of them?
I know that sounds like a stupid complaint, given that most Australian actors spend the vast amount of their screen time speaking in accents that aren't their own, but it just seems particularly unjust that a) nobody lets Australians ever keep their accents, because god forbid an Australian be living in New York or London in the world of the movie, that would be impossible - while also b) when we *do* have an Australian character, they're some kind of absurd comic relief character played by someone who isn't Australian and can't do the accent. I think it might be because directors don't think actual Australians sound "Australian" enough. When I was overseas everybody thought I was English.

Anyway! Posters.

Haha that last one looks like a Choose your Own Adventure cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infamous Sphere posted:

I do wish that when people in movies wanted an Australian, they actually cast one. The accents done by Bambi in Sense8, and by the Australians in Pacific Rim are just terrible. And they don't make sense. None of those parts are played by big name actors and Hollywood has heaps of Australian actors just rattling around - why not grab one of them?

The Australian accents in Pacific Rim were so bad that they rendered the movie practically unwatchable any time they were onscreen. Goddrat but those were poo poo. The son especially.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Tilda Swinton/Billy Zane romance flick? What happens when the handsomest woman collides with the most beautiful man?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

MikeJF posted:

The Australian accents in Pacific Rim were so bad that they rendered the movie practically unwatchable any time they were onscreen. Goddrat but those were poo poo. The son especially.
They were a crime and there was no reason for them! I mean if they'd cast Channing Tatum and Bradley Cooper to play Australians and they had poo poo accents, I'd go "well, they clearly thought having big name actors was important." But the actors they picked weren't big names, and there are Australian actors who actually *are* big names (you could have had someone like Jack Thompson or Bryan Brown as the Dad, and then a Hemsworth or even Sam Worthington if you want a really generic action guy) - so I'm just forced to conclude that the casting directors were either lazy, or they actually liked the horrible fake accents and thought they were somehow more authentic.

Rough Lobster posted:

Tilda Swinton/Billy Zane romance flick? What happens when the handsomest woman collides with the most beautiful man?

Well the poster's actually kind of misleading. It's actually about Tilda Swinton playing an androgynous gender-changing immortal person, and Billy Zane shows up for 12 minutes of it. It's an absolutely gorgeous movie though and I'd definitely
recommend it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kyle Maclachlan's 80s hair always makes it look like he's wearing a bowler hat on this poster

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The accents being terrible added to the "this is just an anime in live action" charm of that movie. I mean...look at the Russians. Just look at them. It's obviously not a movie that is concerning itself with being anything more than the most wide stereotypes of every culture it is showing, up to and including America.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's weird being Australian watching US media when suddenly an Aussie appears.

When you watch US TV or movies you don't hear the American accent, you hear their accent as "neutral". Then suddenly someone comes on talking just like you do and it sounds different from the "neutral" accent you were just listening to and so you instantly judge their accent as wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't blame us for not taking you seriously when your most famous expirts are 2 different people who fight crocodiles.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TheJoker138 posted:

The accents being terrible added to the "this is just an anime in live action" charm of that movie. I mean...look at the Russians. Just look at them.

That reminds me that although I generally thought that movie was sort of weak goddamn I liked that Russian battlebot.

I would watch a prequel that was just that bot beating things up. Buildings, giant bears, construction equipment. Bonus points if the crew are drunk and leave their turn signal on the whole time.

EDIT:

Oh god... adrift on a wave of marinara...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

You can't blame us for not taking you seriously when your most famous expirts are 2 different people who fight crocodiles.

Ah, thats just un-fair selection Bias.

All our international airports are pretty croc infested, so alas any non-crocodial fighting citizens never make it to the boarding gates. :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

The accents being terrible added to the "this is just an anime in live action" charm of that movie. I mean...look at the Russians. Just look at them. It's obviously not a movie that is concerning itself with being anything more than the most wide stereotypes of every culture it is showing, up to and including America.

I wouldn't have cared if they were, like, Paul Hogan stereotypical! That would've been fine. But I genuinely thought it was a really bad attempt at a South African accent at first. It's just awful.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Good Australian movie poster

Best Australian movie poster

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Australian movie poster or Bloodborne fanart?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

I know that sounds like a stupid complaint, given that most Australian actors spend the vast amount of their screen time speaking in accents that aren't their own, but it just seems particularly unjust that a) nobody lets Australians ever keep their accents, because god forbid an Australian be living in New York or London in the world of the movie, that would be impossible - while also b) when we *do* have an Australian character, they're some kind of absurd comic relief character played by someone who isn't Australian and can't do the accent. I think it might be because directors don't think actual Australians sound "Australian" enough. When I was overseas everybody thought I was English.

You're making me miss Trevor Goddard.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In case you are Australian and not completely sure, the American people consider your accent among the best sounding ones. Show up in an American bar and try not to get laid.

Unfortunately this doesn't work in reverse. Nobody hears our nasally accent and gets hot and bothered.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Roth has said it was him being pissed at hashtag activism and people who think that indigenous peoples who are doing just fine somehow need white people to come in and "save" them.

Then he's an idiot considering that hashtag activism is the least of the troubles that indigenous people in that region has: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140804-sad-truth-of-uncontacted-tribes

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

kiimo posted:

In case you are Australian and not completely sure, the American people consider your accent among the best sounding ones.

I dunno where you get this idea. At best, most Americans think Australians sound English and they like English accents.

quote:

Show up in an American bar and try not to get laid.

You can have pretty much any accent and get laid in America because it sounds ~exotic~

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Then he's an idiot considering that hashtag activism is the least of the troubles that indigenous people in that region has: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140804-sad-truth-of-uncontacted-tribes

I'm guessing he didn't do all that much research before making his Cannibal Holocaust homage. And due to it being a Cannibal Holocaust homage, that's the way it should be, god drat it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

At best they sound English and we like English, trying to see how this disagrees with my statement?

Also I think the exotic accent thing isn't really true for all accents, e.g. Russian, German, Eastern European or Asian or South American. I feel like I could go on.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

dr_rat posted:

Best Australian movie poster

Also in the running for Best Tagline To Like Ironically.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One time i saw an article about Law and Order and it said "Anthony Anderson (Kangaroo Jack)" and I felt really sorry for him.

He had been in Hustle and Flow by then, or The Shield on TV.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

One time i saw an article about Law and Order and it said "Anthony Anderson (Kangaroo Jack)" and I felt really sorry for him.

I don't. Kangaroo Jack is more than Anthony Anderson loving deserves.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anthony Anderson's a good actor.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
*insert vehement rage towards Anthony Anderson here*

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

kiimo posted:

At best they sound English and we like English, trying to see how this disagrees with my statement?

The point being that Americans don't think Australian in particular is a great accent, they just like what they vaguely identify as "British" and that can be lots of things. Personally, I think Australian can be kind of nasal and grating, but that's the same thing they say about us, so :shrug:

Since we're talking about Australia in the movie posters thread, hey remember this dumb thing

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was watching Calvary and wondering where I knew Chris O'Dowd from. Turns out it's from that drat poster.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dr_rat posted:

Russell Mulcahey pre-Highlander. I love this movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vegetable posted:

I was watching Calvary and wondering where I knew Chris O'Dowd from. Turns out it's from that drat poster.

Watch IT Crowd, decent show.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

kiimo posted:

In case you are Australian and not completely sure, the American people consider your accent among the best sounding ones. Show up in an American bar and try not to get laid.

Unfortunately this doesn't work in reverse. Nobody hears our nasally accent and gets hot and bothered.

Haha, sadly the one time when I was in the North American continent and went to a bar, it was in Montreal. Nobody in Montreal cares about accents in English.
(Well that's not entirely true - I went to bars in the states but none of them were the right kind of bars.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't go to a place with better accents than yours, that's just common sense.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Vintersorg posted:

Watch IT Crowd, decent show.

Warning: Netflix does not have the double length finale. That appears to only be on Hulu where it is listed as the only episode in Season 5 (in the US anyway).

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vegetable posted:

I wish Calvary was more popular than it was.

Such a good movie :(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I will watch literally anything with Chris O'Dowd, and incidentally, that is largely because of his accent.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought everyone knew him from Bridesmaids.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

kiimo posted:

I thought everyone knew him from Bridesmaids.

I thought everyone could only remember the making GBS threads scene from Bridesmaids.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

anticake posted:

Warning: Netflix does not have the double length finale. That appears to only be on Hulu where it is listed as the only episode in Season 5 (in the US anyway).

That explains why it feel it ended out of nowhere. :(

At least on :canada: netflix too. Ill have to hunt that down.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Erebus posted:

The point being that Americans don't think Australian in particular is a great accent, they just like what they vaguely identify as "British" and that can be lots of things. Personally, I think Australian can be kind of nasal and grating, but that's the same thing they say about us, so :shrug:

Since we're talking about Australia in the movie posters thread, hey remember this dumb thing

I remember even O'Dowd giving them poo poo about that. Good movie though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dick Trauma posted:

That reminds me that although I generally thought that movie was sort of weak goddamn I liked that Russian battlebot.

I would watch a prequel that was just that bot beating things up. Buildings, giant bears, construction equipment. Bonus points if the crew are drunk and leave their turn signal on the whole time.

Pacific Rim genuinely felt like there was an hour of cut content. I wanted to see other Jaegers and learn about their history but nope they get a brief mention and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015