Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Nevermind calling it SF or Frisco, The Five, or I-5..when you've learned to hate Feinstein, that's when you've become a real Californian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Space-Bird posted:

Nevermind calling it SF or Frisco, The Five, or I-5..when you've learned to hate Feinstein, that's when you've become a real Californian.

"Call me Senator."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CprVYsG0k

:smithicide:

e: Oh, whoops its Boxer. They're both equally bad imo.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Minarchist posted:

"Call me Senator."

Boxer's problems are in the complete opposite direction, though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Minarchist posted:

Nah, Boxer is ok. Feinstein is super terrible.

Literally the only reason I can find to vote for Feinstein is the D next to her name. And I can't even safely vote against her in the primaries because of our dumbfuck jungle primary system.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Minarchist posted:

"Call me Senator."

I could be wrong, but he was treating her like she was stupid as poo poo. I have no problem with her reminding him that she's his boss.
I need to find the whole video, because I remember being proud of her when she did that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Minarchist posted:

"Call me Senator."

No, Boxer is the good senator. Not perfect, but a million times better than feinstein. Also, good on her in that video. Bet than if you watch that video he called everyone else Senator except for the "girls."

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Litany Unheard posted:

Nah, Boxer is ok. Feinstein is super terrible.

Literally the only reason I can find to vote for Feinstein is the D next to her name. And I can't even safely vote against her in the primaries because of our dumbfuck jungle primary system.

it's really that - look at a list of her R challengers all these years and yer all like "gently caress it" :stonk:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Keyser S0ze posted:

it's really that - look at a list of her R challengers all these years and yer all like "gently caress it" :stonk:

I was going to laugh at you because when I lived in Idaho, California was exporting all of their crazy fuckers to us. Then I realized, I live in CA now and I have to be a proper citizen and take responsibility for my situation.
Seriously though, for a liberal state, there are a lot of what I consider to be crazy political people. And I'm from loving Idaho. These people are nuts.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Keyser S0ze posted:

Is that when Orly Taitz was on my ballot?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

In 2012, 7.75 million Californians voted for her.
God I hate this state.

California needs new senators.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

God I hate this state.

California needs new senators.

Well we're going to get Senator Kamala Harris next year. Now we just need Feinstein to keel over. She's 82 years old so it won't be too much longer!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Litany Unheard posted:

Well we're going to get Senator Kamala Harris next year. Now we just need Feinstein to keel over. She's 82 years old so it won't be too much longer!

Kamala Harris is gonna be a second Feinstein. Her record supporting prosecutorial misconduct alone should make everyone take notice. Unfortunately, she'll be way better than whatever nutter runs against her.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Litany Unheard posted:

Too bad that probably means we get Senator Gavin Newsom in Feinstein's stead. Gonna suck to lose that much Democratic seniority in Congress (what with Pelosi almost certainly bowing out within the next few cycles)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Naw. Newsom wants to be governor. Everything he's done has been aimed at that, beginning from before he ran for SF mayor.

http://www.gavinnewsom.com/

After two terms as governor, maybe he'd run for senate, but I think he's honestly much more likely to run for (and lose) president.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Litany Unheard posted:

She's 82 years old so it won't be too much longer!
Hope you're ready for Senator Rick j. Caruso!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm still trying to figure out why Carly Fiorina thinks losing two statewide elections qualifies her to be President.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why Carly Fiorina thinks losing two statewide elections qualifies her to be President.

For the same reason being ousted as a failed CEO qualifies her to run for Senate. She's made an entire career out of failing upwards.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Because she's an idiot who feels really entitled to some form of political power because of her money and "success" in past leadership positions. So basically Meg Whitman, but somehow stupider. :v: Say what you want about Meg Whitman (and boy is there a lot to say) but when she threw all her money into the governorship campaign, it was coming off a previously conservative governor and she had realistic chances of winning. And when she lost, she bowed out and hasn't stuck her dick out into politics since.

Meanwhile Fiorina is going to get into politics or bankrupt herself trying, apparently.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Also worth noting: Fiorina announced her candidacy on May 4th. She released a book on May 5th.

Probably a coincidence.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Naw. Newsom wants to be governor. Everything he's done has been aimed at that, beginning from before he ran for SF mayor.

After two terms as governor, maybe he'd run for senate, but I think he's honestly much more likely to run for (and lose) president.

Newsom is most likely a replicant

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

etalian posted:

Newsom is most likely a replicant

Without going into details, I have personal contacts who are close to Newsom's family (mostly his father, a retired judge). He's well-connected to extreme wealth, he's incredibly carefully groomed, he's carefully Democratic, and he has taken some very, very calculated risks that have paid off very well. I don't think he's a replicant. I think he's a archetypical politician. He's very effective as an executive. All of his opinions and positions and speeches are meticulously vetted and calculated. He is especially good at schmoozing with the deep-pocketed donor class that drive all effective political campaigns.

I think there's an excellent chance he'll serve two terms as CA governor, and a significant (but still small) chance he'll eventually serve as vice president. I don't think he can win a presidential campaign, but only because he's from San Francisco, and huge swathes of the country reflexively hate politicians from San Francisco, just on the basis that obviously they are way too liberal. Maybe by the time Newsom would be running (I'd guess 2024 at the earliest) that will change, but I dunno.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

he's incredibly carefully groomed,

I've seen his hair, this is an understatement.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

He may be a replicant, but he's our replicant.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Leperflesh posted:

Of course he wants to be governor, but aside from Feinstein's seat (presumably in 2018), there's not much opportunity what with Harris having just taken literally the only other seat available.

Unless he assumes a Republican takes the seat in 2018, but then he's still waiting for 2024 just for a first term. But then again, if he went for an open seat left by Feinstein, he's not have that gubernatorial experience you're absolutely right that he wants.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Litany Unheard posted:

He may be a replicant, but he's our replicant.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Newsom is at least a Nexus-6.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Oh my god, this is a real thing.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060506211308/http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.php?pagename=article&articleid=24031

edit: Tom Ammiano:
TW: You’ve got a little boy. He shows you his butterfly collection plus the killing jar. What do you do?
TA: I’d think this was Blade Runner. That’s my reaction.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

Without going into details, I have personal contacts who are close to Newsom's family (mostly his father, a retired judge). He's well-connected to extreme wealth, he's incredibly carefully groomed, he's carefully Democratic, and he has taken some very, very calculated risks that have paid off very well. I don't think he's a replicant. I think he's a archetypical politician. He's very effective as an executive. All of his opinions and positions and speeches are meticulously vetted and calculated. He is especially good at schmoozing with the deep-pocketed donor class that drive all effective political campaigns.

I think there's an excellent chance he'll serve two terms as CA governor, and a significant (but still small) chance he'll eventually serve as vice president. I don't think he can win a presidential campaign, but only because he's from San Francisco, and huge swathes of the country reflexively hate politicians from San Francisco, just on the basis that obviously they are way too liberal. Maybe by the time Newsom would be running (I'd guess 2024 at the earliest) that will change, but I dunno.

I just don't see Newsom surviving the absolute mind-blowing slam ads regarding his affair that will appear when he runs for major office like governor. SF groups may have given him the kid-gloves but "mayor fucks wife of chief-of-staff, causes divorce" plays well on TV and from glancing over the news articles back then the ethics issues seemed to enter a poorly resolved grey zone which will chum the waters. He may be safe in CA where the Rs can't seem to field anyone who isn't a Lovecraftian ur-horror but I don't think he can go national.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Without going into details, I have personal contacts who are close to Newsom's family (mostly his father, a retired judge).

I'll go into details. A lady who runs a killer hot dog shop on the peninsula told me she went to grad school at USF with Gavin, and insisted in every possible way that he was the most empty-headed human being she had ever met. She said he just didn't seem to understand how to do anything. She said she was genuinely concerned that he was ever in a leadership position.

The hot dog and chili cheese fries were top notch.

He's just the latest incarnation of the Burton machine, which means he'll be kind of corrupt and questionable like a NY or Chicago politician but that he'll probably do some decent progressive things, like all the rest of them did. Still, he doesn't have the pizazz of a Willie Brown.

Speaking of which, what would Willie do if he were mayor today? I mean, besides womanize.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A story about an old white woman who is disheartened that minorities are moving into her city and now she needs to drive an extra 3 miles to a Pavillions grocery store

Without clicking the link, guess the city and the minority.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I should have known there weren't grocery stores in Atherton.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
She should move to Cupertino, they don't even bother putting the signs in English anymore

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Leperflesh posted:

His affair with his staffer's wife is going to gently caress him hard if he ever tries to run for something on the level of governorship.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dunno. Affairs don't seem to do the damage they used to. They definitely damage democrats more than republicans for some reason, but... I think people are just a lot more forgiving of that kind of thing now?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Goddamn, before I moved, I'd have killed to be less than 3 miles from a 99 ranch or sf.
Cheap produce, pork with fat in it, interesting ingredents and I'm white as hell.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

I dunno. Affairs don't seem to do the damage they used to. They definitely damage democrats more than republicans for some reason, but... I think people are just a lot more forgiving of that kind of thing now?

I don't trust politicians who haven't been found having an affair. :colbert:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Frankly, one of the biggest political problems with California is we're a "liberal" state that can't seem to field Democratic candidates that aren't either completely ineffectual or mostly corrupt, but those candidates keep getting elected easily because the other side is SO BAD. I hate Feinstein and think she's done a lot to make us less safe while lining the pockets of her family, but I still voted for her every time she came up for election.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

Frankly, one of the biggest political problems with California is we're a "liberal" state that can't seem to field Democratic candidates that aren't either completely ineffectual or mostly corrupt, but those candidates keep getting elected easily because the other side is SO BAD. I hate Feinstein and think she's done a lot to make us less safe while lining the pockets of her family, but I still voted for her every time she came up for election.

Remember, only 28% of Californians consider themselves liberals so to stay in power the Democrats have to look elsewhere for support too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
While we're talking about politicians, what did you guys think of George Miller when he was in office? I got to meet him in a social setting not too long ago and the guys hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

nm posted:

Goddamn, before I moved, I'd have killed to be less than 3 miles from a 99 ranch or sf.
Cheap produce, pork with fat in it, interesting ingredents and I'm white as hell.

Seriously! They're great stores and one of my favorite parts of being in Orange County.