Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Follow the reference links and you'll find out that the source of that explanation is pure speculation on the part of an about.com editor. That doesn't mean it's wrong...but this is one of those subjects that comes up every so often and nobody can ever dig up any hard science to support any theory (e.g. a 2006 story from NPR, a 2009 bit from the Science Times feature of The New York Times, and a 2013 post from a Scientific American blog).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Follow the reference links and you'll find out that the source of that explanation is pure speculation on the part of an about.com editor. That doesn't mean it's wrong...but this is one of those subjects that comes up every so often and nobody can ever dig up any hard science to support any theory (e.g. a 2006 story from NPR, a 2009 bit from the Science Times feature of The New York Times, and a 2013 post from a Scientific American blog).

It feels wrong to me because I don't buy the idea of sulphur particles sticking to the steel. Were that the case, the steel should smell like sulphur, right? Seems more likely that there's some kind of exchange of electrons causing the sulphur molecules to lose their grip/charge.

And now you see why I'm not a scientist.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It feels wrong to me because I don't buy the idea of sulphur particles sticking to the steel. Were that the case, the steel should smell like sulphur, right? Seems more likely that there's some kind of exchange of electrons causing the sulphur molecules to lose their grip/charge.

And now you see why I'm not a scientist.

The surface of stainless steel has a higher oxygen content than non-corrosion resistant steel. My first hypothesis would be that those smelly ions are reduced by free oxygen at the surface, rendering them inert.

This is a very superficial metallurgist's guess at what's going on. I'm almost positive it's significantly more complex than that.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Gonna make kimchi for the first time tonight. Any advice from anyone or bomb-rear end recipes? So far I'm just going to follow this recipe. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/mother-in-laws-signature-kimchi-from-the-kimchi-cookbook-recipe.html

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
And if you don't have a stainless steel sink, they actually make these: http://www.amazon.com/Amco-8402-Rub...nless+steel+bar or http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-1097-Odor-Remover/dp/B000PS9Z4E/ref=pd_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=048N087BWET7JR964KK7

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a ~4.5 lb pork sirloin roast defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow. I'd like to prepare it on the grill, as the weather tomorrow is supposed to be about perfect. No dietary restrictions, and I think I can get most any ingredients I need here, and in fact I'd like a recipe that might push me to do something less traditionally Midwestern. Any suggestions?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

revdrkevind posted:

Quickie complaint: On a scale of one to white people, how pissed should I be if a restaurant is pre-prepping potatoes and sausage and leaving them uncovered in the window, then shoveling that over to customer plates? Do they earn extra points if the window is within spitting distance from the front door?

Are they in a hotel pan or something? As long as everything's being kept at a proper temperature, that's just one of those things that seems gross but isn't actually any worse than what you'd see in the restaurant's kitchen.

I do, however, deeply disagree with sausage not being cooked to order. That poo poo's gotta be real rubbery.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

bartlebee posted:

Gonna make kimchi for the first time tonight. Any advice from anyone or bomb-rear end recipes? So far I'm just going to follow this recipe. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/mother-in-laws-signature-kimchi-from-the-kimchi-cookbook-recipe.html

Maangchi is always a great guide for korea foods.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/napa-cabbage-kimchi

One tip though, always give your veg a taste after the post-salting rinsing step since depending on the size of your cabbage and the fineness of your particular salt, your cabbage might absorb more salt than maangchi's did. It says to rinse 3 times but you should rinse more if it's still very salty tasting, as you'll be adding back in more salt through the fish sauce. Don't rinse off all the salt or anything, just if it is already tasting a bit too salty after the rinse step, it's only going to be saltier after applying the paste.

Lawnie posted:

I have a ~4.5 lb pork sirloin roast defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow. I'd like to prepare it on the grill, as the weather tomorrow is supposed to be about perfect. No dietary restrictions, and I think I can get most any ingredients I need here, and in fact I'd like a recipe that might push me to do something less traditionally Midwestern. Any suggestions?

Speaking of maangchi, this is super tasty, usually done with fattier pork but since it's sliced thinly and grilled quickly it should work with the leaner cut too: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dwaejibulgogi

Slicing it thinly and making Vietnamese style grilled pork skewers would also be good, made into noodle bowls or rice paper rolls:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Grilled_Meat_(Th%E1%BB%8Bt_n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bng)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mich posted:

One tip though, always give your veg a taste after the post-salting rinsing step since depending on the size of your cabbage and the fineness of your particular salt, your cabbage might absorb more salt than maangchi's did. It says to rinse 3 times but you should rinse more if it's still very salty tasting, as you'll be adding back in more salt through the fish sauce. Don't rinse off all the salt or anything, just if it is already tasting a bit too salty after the rinse step, it's only going to be saltier after applying the paste.

Speaking of maangchi, this is super tasty, usually done with fattier pork but since it's sliced thinly and grilled quickly it should work with the leaner cut too: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dwaejibulgogi

Slicing it thinly and making Vietnamese style grilled pork skewers would also be good, made into noodle bowls or rice paper rolls:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Grilled_Meat_(Th%E1%BB%8Bt_n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bng)

Lettuce wraps sound perfect, thanks dude! I always like when I can make something that's easy to assemble from ingredients I can keep separate. Bachelor life.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

mich posted:

This looks legit, so this is what the girlfriend and I are going with. For the pepper flakes, would it be okay to prepare my own? I do homemade chili powder for chili, so I imagine it would be a similar process. I only ask because even at the Asian market, the chili flakes were like, $3.50 per cup even though dried peppers are crazy cheap. Any advice?

I have eight pounds of cabbage in my apartment and I'm strangely excited about this. I might post a thread about kimchi when we start it on Monday.

bartlebee fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 25, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I made this, it turned out great but I think I'll go with a little less vinegar and add a pinch of salt next time, maybe I'll replace some of the vinegar with chicken stock. Anyway, thanks for the recipe. :D

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

bartlebee posted:

This looks legit, so this is what the girlfriend and I are going with. For the pepper flakes, would it be okay to prepare my own? I do homemade chili powder for chili, so I imagine it would be a similar process. I only ask because even at the Asian market, the chili flakes were like, $3.50 per cup even though dried peppers are crazy cheap. Any advice?

I have eight pounds of cabbage in my apartment and I'm strangely excited about this. I might post a thread about kimchi when we start it on Monday.

I would be wary about preparing your own unless you're sure you have the right kind of dried Korean red chile. Because you want to use a lot of pepper flakes for the flavor, having the wrong kind of pepper will make it taste quite different as well as potentially making your kimchi overly spicy. The pepper that is used is not too spicy so that you can use a lot of it for more pepper flavor.

There are different types of Korean pepper flakes/powder too, so watch out for that. Maangchi explains it here: http://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/hot-pepper-flakes

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

mich posted:

I would be wary about preparing your own unless you're sure you have the right kind of dried Korean red chile. Because you want to use a lot of pepper flakes for the flavor, having the wrong kind of pepper will make it taste quite different as well as potentially making your kimchi overly spicy. The pepper that is used is not too spicy so that you can use a lot of it for more pepper flavor.

There are different types of Korean pepper flakes/powder too, so watch out for that. Maangchi explains it here: http://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/hot-pepper-flakes

We'll do a second run at the market then. Thanks!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mich posted:

I'm with Mich here, I accidentally made like 20 lbs of kimchi with the wrong kind of Chile once and it was just... Weird and bad

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartlebee posted:

I have eight pounds of cabbage in my apartment and I'm strangely excited about this

Make some Sauerkruat, too!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been putting potatoes in my omelettes lately instead of on the side and it's delicious, but I feel like it almost ceases being an omelette at this point. How do you guys feel about the idea of potatoes in omelettes and why don't I ever see people doing this?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
on the side, inside, it all tastes the same once they're both in your mouth. I don't think there's anything special happening chemically if you add potatoes to the omelette. Unless you mean you're adding raw potato in which case I don't see how they're cooking before the egg is done and then they're unable to brown.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 26, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm with Mich here, I accidentally made like 20 lbs of kimchi with the wrong kind of Chile once and it was just... Weird and bad

Are jarred kimchi pastes any good?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Bison with slaw of cucumber, shallot, dill, scallions, mayo, lemon I think
So, I saw this and it looked so mind-bogglingly amazing that I got everything to cover the salad department with and some minced meat. I have regular student kitchen available, no grill or fancy stuff - how should I go about preparing the mince? I'm looking for some simple recipe, meat is 50/50 pork and beef mix with <20% fat.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

I've been putting potatoes in my omelettes lately instead of on the side and it's delicious, but I feel like it almost ceases being an omelette at this point. How do you guys feel about the idea of potatoes in omelettes and why don't I ever see people doing this?

I think the spanish (i.e. from spain) do this and they call it a tortilla. They're usually pretty thick though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_omelette

I've never had one, but looking at the wikipedia page I severely regret that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are jarred kimchi pastes any good?

Depends on the brand? I've had okay luck with them. They're good in stirfrys too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kalstrams posted:

So, I saw this and it looked so mind-bogglingly amazing that I got everything to cover the salad department with and some minced meat. I have regular student kitchen available, no grill or fancy stuff - how should I go about preparing the mince? I'm looking for some simple recipe, meat is 50/50 pork and beef mix with <20% fat.

When you say student kitchen, do you mean like a hotplate and a pan? I'd burg it. A nice thick patty with breadcrumb and egg binder. Rest it on half a toasty bun to soak up those runaway slaw drips.

http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-n-pork-burgers-81019 (one could safely eliminate the majoram and parsley if we'll be covering it in lovely slaw, I beleive)

Except where it says grill, get the pan very lightly greased with a few drops of high-temp oil such as canola and screamin hot, then sear both sides of your patty for a minute or two each. Reduce temp and cook on medium / medium low until desired doneness (an internal temperature of 160 for ground meat for USDA safety. A 20bx digital instant read probe thermometer can help you there if you are unsure).

That should do 'er, post pics.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 27, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

When you say student kitchen, do you mean like a hotplate and a pan? I'd burg it. A nice thick patty with breadcrumb and egg binder. Rest it on half a toasty bun to soak up those runaway slaw drips.

http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-n-pork-burgers-81019 (one could safely eliminate the majoram and parsley if we'll be covering it in lovely slaw, I beleive)

Except where it says grill, get the pan very lightly greased with a few drops of high-temp oil such as canola and screamin hot, then sear both sides of your patty for a minute or two each. Reduce temp and cook on medium / medium low until desired doneness (an internal temperature of 160 for ground meat for USDA safety. A 20bx digital instant read probe thermometer can help you there if you are unsure).

That should do 'er, post pics.
Yeah, just regular kitchen stove and a few regular pans (and awful cooking skills). While the recipe you linked is a bit on the fancy side for my wallet and my dietary restrictions, I ended up burgin' it along the lines you described, since I did have neither a fancy oil nor an instant read probe thermometer and ended up using sunflower oil and frying it on medium-low heat for good 7 minutes per side, after initially frying up the outsides on a bit higher heat, while poking it here and there to see what comes out. This probably sounds like a mockery of making a burger etc. but I don't come from the land of freedom :911: so this was the first burger I made in my life. This is the result:

I find it :perfect:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Recipes that add bread into meatballs do that mainly for moisture retention and added structure for the meat, right? What do I substitute if I can't add bread anymore for 'carb' reasons or whatever? Minced onion or bell pepper work really well for the moisture/flavor stuff, but what would then be good for (I guess) the structure stuff? Julienned cabbage, carrots? Nothing?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any general tips for taking the "edge" off of cruciferous veggies like rutabaga, kohlrabi etc. if you want to incorporate them into sweeter dishes?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drifter posted:

Recipes that add bread into meatballs do that mainly for moisture retention and added structure for the meat, right? What do I substitute if I can't add bread anymore for 'carb' reasons or whatever? Minced onion or bell pepper work really well for the moisture/flavor stuff, but what would then be good for (I guess) the structure stuff? Julienned cabbage, carrots? Nothing?

Finely shredded cabbage and some egg to hold things together work well.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Any general tips for taking the "edge" off of cruciferous veggies like rutabaga, kohlrabi etc. if you want to incorporate them into sweeter dishes?

My mom makes mashed rutabaga all the time and I never noticed any "edge" to the flavor. They're basically like whipped potatoes, butter and milk/cream included. Don't know if that works for your desired application, though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Software for keeping recipes/creating shopping lists? Preferably something PC/IOS that I can sync?

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Drifter posted:

I've been using dry TVP in place of breadcrumbs for meatloafs, etc. you may need to add more seasoning if you use this method, as TVP itself is pretty bland.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

What about some kind of oat or something? I think I've seen some recipes replace breadcrumbs with like steel cut oats.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What goes with a risotto? There's not going to be any meat in it (except for the two slices of diced bacon), the American wants me to serve it with a chicken quarter or something.

Should I just serve a light salad first?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

What goes with a risotto? There's not going to be any meat in it (except for the two slices of diced bacon), the American wants me to serve it with a chicken quarter or something.

If it was me I'd just say 'more risotto'.

Yeah a light salad or a caprese would be good or you could even go with a mixed plate of cheese, olives and cherry tomatoes or something.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Reason posted:

Software for keeping recipes/creating shopping lists? Preferably something PC/IOS that I can sync?

I use Wunderlist for shopping/any other type of list. It's not the world's best recipe tool because all it does is lists (ie. there's no place to put cooking instructions), but I have the ingredients for several of my go-to recipes in there so I can remember what I need to pick up at the store without adding it to my main grocery list over and over again.

Syncs across pretty much every device/platform you might want.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

kedo posted:

I use Wunderlist for shopping/any other type of list. It's not the world's best recipe tool because all it does is lists (ie. there's no place to put cooking instructions), but I have the ingredients for several of my go-to recipes in there so I can remember what I need to pick up at the store without adding it to my main grocery list over and over again.

Syncs across pretty much every device/platform you might want.

Wunderlist is great for shopping lists, Evernote is great for recipes and stuff (and does lists too).

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you both!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bob Morales posted:

Seared scallops.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Reason posted:

I like paprika. http://paprikaapp.com/

Don't use iOS, but I have a bookmarklet that scrapes recipes, which then sync to my phone/tablet for cooking and shopping. It does cost a little though.

I also think the developer posted around here at one point. I know I was in the beta a while ago.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Given that it's tomato season I'm thinking about making full use of fresh tomatoes. I ofcourse plan to make a simple tomato sauce for pasta dishes and some tomato soup but I can't think of other dishes where fresh tomatoes will make a big difference.

Anyone know any other dishes that really benefit from fresh tomatoes? For example, I'm afraid most curries would overpower that herby smell of fresh tomatoes but I could be completely wrong about that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BLT's with tomatoes grown from the garden are on an entirely different level than store-bought maters. I had some yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ekster posted:

Anyone know any other dishes that really benefit from fresh tomatoes? For example, I'm afraid most curries would overpower that herby smell of fresh tomatoes but I could be completely wrong about that.
Some variation of the caprese salad is probably the canonical recommendation.