Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Artificer posted:

Read the OP. Thinking of picking up this game. Do we have a strong NA presence? Anything I need to know when I'm going in? Anything like don't pick arty as your first tree in WoT or anything like that?

It's hard to go wrong with the American cruiser line. (caveat I've only played through T6 and like two CBT games in my pepsicola).

Shoot HE at DDs, Turn into air-launched torps (keep your bow pointed at the incoming bombers), press alt to show range and time to target info (or turn on the alternative battle interface or w/e it's called in options). If you're in a BB, shoot AP always except at DDs.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOL-NwvY4MM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panfilo posted:

Looking ahead at the stats, Gearing gets a nice gun layout with three twin 5/38s and great torpedoes in 5x mounts. Though sadly even the Hearing's AA is still mediocre.
You don't really expect destroyer AA to kill plane squadrons so it doesn't hurt too much. Most of the 5"/38 destroyers (and Japanese destroyers from Fubuki up) have enough AA to kill a scout which is its most important function.
It might be a bit worse with Gearing's relatively bad camouflage.

Pharnakes posted:

Having just got to the abomination that is the Mutsuki and promptly lost all my enthusiasm for IJN DDs, it seems like US DDs start getting good as the IJN ones drop off. Unfortunately there's some real duffers you have to get through to arrive their.

Also, does anyone know roughly how long until the next nation, whatever that might be, is released? Are we looking at months or years? I remember in WoT it took ages, but WoT had a year long "closed" beta, and maybe this time round they have the resources to make it happen much faster.
Hatsuharu isn't anything incredible but it's entirely playable and its only real weakness is "is a destroyer at tier 7". The torpedoes are a bit slow too I guess. If you get past Mutsuki the Japanese destroyers are good again, if not back to their tier 5 and below glory.

Something said UK was expected late 2016. If you assume Russia and Germany come before, I guess late 2015?
That latest patch includes some German ships that are obviously on the main tree, but who knows whether they've come up with the whole tree yet.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TehKeen posted:

It's hard to go wrong with the American cruiser line. (caveat I've only played through T6 and like two CBT games in my pepsicola).

Shoot HE at DDs, Turn into air-launched torps (keep your bow pointed at the incoming bombers), press alt to show range and time to target info (or turn on the alternative battle interface or w/e it's called in options). If you're in a BB, shoot AP always except at DDs.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOL-NwvY4MM

American cruisers tend to not have torpedoes like their Japanese counterparts right? That's kinda lovely...

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

American cruisers start getting torpedoes at tier four.

What's the deal with the Mutsuki?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

American Cruiser Torps are really, really short ranged at first, though. When you get the Phoenix, do not assume you want to close in and torp people! They're only for ambushes, emergencies, targets of opportunity, or knife fights.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I have to admit that the secondary batteries popping off as you get in real close is one of my favorite things about BBs.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Sperglord Actual posted:

And they promptly lose them again at Tier 6 and never get them back except for the Atlanta.

The Mutsuki is basically a Minekaze a tier higher with like twice as long reload time on the torps and a less flexible launcher arrangement.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
"DDs are overpowered and that's a fact" - a Cleveland in the match I was just in

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

rossmum posted:

"DDs are overpowered and that's a fact" - a Cleveland in the match I was just in

Can't argue with facts.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Magni posted:

The Mutsuki is basically a Minekaze a tier higher with like twice as long reload time on the torps and a less flexible launcher arrangement.

Balls. What's the least painful way to skip it?

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

For IJN DD tier 6-8 use your guns vs DDs and only torp big ships.

You can mop up all the enemy destroyers in a match with IJN HE supremacy.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Mutsuki chat:

Once you get it, play one game in it to try the awful guns and terrible stock torpedoes that are the same as your concealment range. Then leave it in the port until you have enough free xp and credits to buy the 2nd hull and 10km torps.

One thing about the Mutsuki is that the guns are so bad that you will not be tempted to use them. It forces you to learn how to be stealthy and anticipate enemy movements to hit with long range torpedo attacks.

The good news is that if you get decent at the Mutsuki, the rest of the IJN DDs will be a piece of cake. The Hatsuhara, Fubuki, and Kagero are a lot of fun.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Artificer posted:

Read the OP. Thinking of picking up this game. Do we have a strong NA presence? Anything I need to know when I'm going in? Anything like don't pick arty as your first tree in WoT or anything like that?

We have enough dudes online and in the goons channel in game that you should be good albeit sometimes we tend to be antisocial.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Every second I spent in the Kawachi was utter agony , but I have my Myogi now though it's not much better. At least I can shoot at stuff further than 10km. Should I give up on Japanese BB and just go USA for the Wyoming or something?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Every second I spent in the Kawachi was utter agony , but I have my Myogi now though it's not much better. At least I can shoot at stuff further than 10km. Should I give up on Japanese BB and just go USA for the Wyoming or something?

South Carolina's not any better

I can only hope the wyoming is a light at the end of the tunnel and not another, even deeper, tunnel when i get there

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

UberJew posted:

South Carolina's not any better

I can only hope the wyoming is a light at the end of the tunnel and not another, even deeper, tunnel when i get there

The Wyoming is pretty good.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Razzled posted:

I was reading up on some fun facts regarding ASW thanks to some mentions of it in this thread and I'm glad to have learned Congress has pretty much always been full of gently caress ups:

The deficiencies of Japanese depth-charge tactics were revealed in a press conference held by U.S. Congressman Andrew J. May, a member of the House Military Affairs Committee who had visited the Pacific theater and received many intelligence and operational briefings. May mentioned the highly sensitive fact that American submarines had a high survivability rate because Japanese depth charges were fuzed to explode at too shallow a depth.

Soon, Japanese forces were resetting their depth charges to explode at a more effective average depth of 75 m (250 feet), to the detriment of American submariners. Vice Admiral Charles A. Lockwood, commander of the U.S. submarine fleet in the Pacific, later estimated that May's revelation cost the United States Navy as many as ten submarines and 800 seamen killed in action.[16]

:smith:

He was a real lovely piece of work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_J._May

Obligatory pubbies.png

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Sperglord Actual posted:

Balls. What's the least painful way to skip it?

Eh, just use 50% flags, free-xp the first hull and torp upgrade (unless you like 6km torps with 5.9km visibility) and then play as a pure torpedo boat and infilrator - Mutsuki has the best camo in the game (5.9 stock, like 5.7 with the 8k credits camo paint) and is pretty fast, so sneaking about into the enemy rear to whack carriers and torp BBs from angles they don't expect is pretty much what it is about.

Note that you do not have to research the seond torps if you have the Aoba unlocked already - the Mutsuki's upgrade torps are the Aoba's stock torps.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

OSad posted:

So I was playing on Ocean today, I spot either a Mogami or a Myoko moving in a straight line 17 kilometers out, he seems pretty flat to me, I let go of a salvo not really thinking that I'll actually hit him at that range, since he has plenty of time to move. To my surprise, I hit the guy's citadel. Sweet, I thought.

Fifteen seconds later, my guns are reloaded and I let go of another one, same guy, same distance. I citadel him again. Then this starts.

Looked up his stats, expecting a total shitter. His stats are actually drat good. 3.82 K/D ratio :stare:

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Night10194 posted:

The Wyoming is pretty good.

I just got into the New York, and without the range upgrade it is pure hell. I only have 4 games in it so far, but they have all ended with me being burned to the waterline by endless HE coming from cruisers who out range me and go faster. As soon as I get spotted (by fighters or whatever) its just incessant bombardment I can't respond to.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

VendoViper posted:

I just got into the New York, and without the range upgrade it is pure hell. I only have 4 games in it so far, but they have all ended with me being burned to the waterline by endless HE coming from cruisers who out range me and go faster. As soon as I get spotted (by fighters or whatever) its just incessant bombardment I can't respond to.

I ended up brawling alot in the new york / mex. Did fairly well as long as you keep your angle right while reloading

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Can you permanently turn on the alternate battle interface? Sometimes I have trouble telling if I'm shooting at a cruiser or a battleship.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Artificer posted:

Can you permanently turn on the alternate battle interface? Sometimes I have trouble telling if I'm shooting at a cruiser or a battleship.

Yes, there's an option in the menu.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Look who's back in my port! :haw:

First match. Stock modules. Retraining captain.

Still a brawling monster. :black101:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Submitting the following for OP inclusion. You folks can feel free to nitpick or something if you feel like it

>>>CUT HERE<<<

Q: I keep hearing people raving about the St. Louis ? Whats up with that ?

A: The St. Louis is the USN Tier 3 cruiser, and it is literally an armored truck with guns... lots of guns.

A stock St. Louis starts out with 10x 152mm primary guns and 18x 76mm secondary guns. That's right, this thing has 28 guns stock. And the 152s have a base reload of 10 seconds. But wait! It gets better! Fully upgraded, it gets 14x 152s with an 8 second base reload. With the Tier 1 skill "Firing Training" this gets cut to a smidge over 7 seconds. The layout of the main armament is such that a full broadside can use 8 of the 14 main guns (6 on a side + 2 deck guns). So think about that - 8 shells out every 7 seconds or so. Someone did the math and this means this thing can actually do better sustained DPS than most same/near tier battleships. If you feel like going full poopsock, the Tier 4 skill "Advanced Firing Training" boosts the 10.4km max range to 12.4km. For comparison, a fully upgraded Tier 5 Omaha (without AFT) caps out at 12.6km.

Q: So it has so many guns, Neo was asking about it ! LOL!! But what's this I hear about it being hard to kill too ?

A: For starters, the B hull has a HP pool of 29,500 points. For USN Cruisers, the first ship to beat this in a stock configuration is the Tier 6 Cleveland with 30,500 HP, and it beats a stock Tier 6 Aoba (26,500) by 3,000 points (but not an upgraded Aoba @ 30,500) Then there's the armor... take a look:

See that red ? Thats 102mm of armor. The dark orange ? An internal 76mm belt that is also sloped at approximately 45 degrees. Capping it off (literally) is a unbroken cover of 51mm, that like the belt extends completely from bow to stern. Ever heard of the Titanium Bathtub on an A-10 Warthog ? Same concept, except upside down. If you are shooting at the sides of a St Louis at a low angle, in many cases your shells will have to defeat 102+76 = 178mm of armor, a good bit of which is sloped, in order to get a citadel hit. Higher angle shells would have to deal with 13 (the deck) + 51mm. In comparison, no other USN or IJN cruisers get a single layer side armor thicker than this 102mm until you get into Tier 6 and 7 ships - the sides of the Aoba have a thin strip of 76mm surrounded by 13-25mm armor, and the Cleveland has a thin strip of 127mm surrounded by 13-16mm !

Q: Ok, there has to be a catch somewhere..

A: And that would be a combo of poor speed and effectively no AA ability. The ship caps out in a straight line at 22 knots, and B hull has just 8x WWI era 7.62mm MGs for AA. Also, NONE of the above described Bullshittium armor extends below the waterline - its all 13 - 6mm underwater from bow to stern! Therefore you are exceedingly vulnerable to torpedo damage as they will almost always get a near max or max damage roll. This means you are a prime attractor for anything that fires torpedoes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So how do mods work with these patches? I'm assuming that with a not major patch like this I can just reinstall the modpack from the OP, or do I have to wait for an update?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
If you are using Aslains, be aware it's slightly outdated in that it installs into res_mods/0.4.0 instead of the current 0.4.0.4, and he can't update it for another week or two because he's in Russian Georgia, and he apparently has carrier pigeons and tin cans for Internet access. So if you install his stuff, you will have to change paths.xml and the folder in res_mods for it to work correctly.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sperglord Actual posted:

So basically, the stock hull of the Mutsuki has 6km torps. This is just 500 meters more than the Phoenix torps that a large number of US ships get access to, and you'll get detected with 100-300 meters of this range, so you can't really be concealed when you launch them. Couple this with REALLY slow turning guns and your DD low HP, and you're a sitting duck. You can upgrade the torps with your second hull, and they're not terrible, but your guns stay bad. This is also on top of the fact that your torpedo reload time is roughly 20 seconds longer than that of a minekaze, the tier prior, so you're putting out less torps against higher tiered ships with no real advantage to those torps (except extra damage).

The Hatsuharu, on the other hand, has faster torps at 10km, and its guns turn significantly faster. The Fubuki gains another triple tube, can upgrade its torpedoes to hit out to 15km at a hit to it's torpedo speed (I don't recommend it), and its guns turn even FASTER than the Hatsuharu's. The Kagero gains the Long Lance oxygen torpedoes that do monstrous amounts of damage out to 20km at a piping hot 67 knots, with 2 quadruple tubes and concealment that can drop to below 6km (assuming the concealment mod and detection camo), with just a small loss in turret turning speed. The Shimakaze... 40 knots base speed, 3 QUINTUPLE tubes, the Long Lance (with an upgrade that can boost the damage EVEN MORE at the small cost of losing some of your already obscene torp range), and turrets that swing as fast as the Fubuki's.

Its a big party after the Mutsuki. You'll just have to suffer till then. Something funny to note, the other "bad" IJN ship is the Furutaka. The torps it carries? The same type as the Mutsuki's stock torpedoes. THE CURSE OF THE FURUTAKA!

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

orange juche posted:

They used to have a niche, and then they nerfed small HE fires % and damage when 4.0 happened, due to people whining about US DDs keeping them on fire and being able to burn down their battleship/carrier/whatever. Now US DDs are kinda just unflavorful garbage. They're good for hunting other DDs but that's about it.

That is not how you talk about the best DD's in the game from Tier 4 and up :colbert:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Magni posted:

First match. Stock modules. Retraining captain.

Still a brawling monster. :black101:

against a pair of t7 cruisers with another nagato to help play bully. gj

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Goddamnit Wargaming, I've been on the same kill 8 planes in one battle mission for a week because I don't want to be a carrier, and my best AA is on my Phoenix and whoever I try to protect gets attacked 0% of the time from the air. Let me pay silver to make that poo poo go away already.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

:allears:

We had them outnumbered and surrounded near their cap, 3 of the 4 ships that he was scared of had less than 10k health (4th died soon anyway to focused fire), and he was near full health in a New Mexico that was pretty loving far from the action. Unsurprisingly he ended up near the bottom of the team, scoring above the players that died soon after the game started.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
OP updated.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I missed the conversation of the MK 14 torpedo by a page or so, but if any of you are ever in the area I recommend the Naval Undersea Museum in Keyport, Washington. It is full of interesting stuff and has a large section of submarine warfare in WW2 (including all about the awful American torpedoes that were used in the beginning of the war). It's a good stop if you are taking a trip to the Olympic Peninsula.

Back on topic, I unlocked a Sampson today and had my first few hilariously bad matches in a destroyer. It was a lot of fun but so far I am terrible at aiming torpedoes.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Has anyone not been getting their confederate flags...

Two days in a row I don't believe I've been awarded them.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

yaay posted:

against a pair of t7 cruisers with another nagato to help play bully. gj

Other Nagato went down the other flank. The two Murmansk's and me rolled the entire right side of Two Brothers between us. One of the Wyomings also went that way, but he took the long route and never got to even fire his guns because the two cruisers and me steamrolled everything.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

jownzy posted:

Has anyone not been getting their confederate flags...

Two days in a row I don't believe I've been awarded them.

I may be wrong but I think you can only get one set of ten flags once per day.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Ten lots of flags every 24 hours (except for the Zulu flag, which is individual), and they coincide with the daily reset at 7 or 7:30 EST, I believe, at which point you can get them again.

Also,

what's the name of the website that lets you see these models again? I know that they're butte and make you pay for anything past tier 7, but it's better than nothing.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

TehKeen posted:

I may be wrong but I think you can only get one set of ten flags once per day.

1 of any set of 10?

If so, that's bonk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
If the Furutaka had guns that could turn faster then BB guns, I think it might work. 45s for a turn is simply too slow for a cruiser.