Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ekster posted:

Given that it's tomato season I'm thinking about making full use of fresh tomatoes. I ofcourse plan to make a simple tomato sauce for pasta dishes and some tomato soup but I can't think of other dishes where fresh tomatoes will make a big difference.

Anyone know any other dishes that really benefit from fresh tomatoes? For example, I'm afraid most curries would overpower that herby smell of fresh tomatoes but I could be completely wrong about that.
Make some real good salsa and tabbouleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What goes with a risotto? There's not going to be any meat in it (except for the two slices of diced bacon), the American wants me to serve it with a chicken quarter or something.

Should I just serve a light salad first?

We've taken to having a bone-in pork chop as the meat with our standard risottos (lemon-spinach-feta, red wine). Season salt chops, pan sear both sides, done.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Ekster posted:

Given that it's tomato season I'm thinking about making full use of fresh tomatoes. I ofcourse plan to make a simple tomato sauce for pasta dishes and some tomato soup but I can't think of other dishes where fresh tomatoes will make a big difference.

Anyone know any other dishes that really benefit from fresh tomatoes? For example, I'm afraid most curries would overpower that herby smell of fresh tomatoes but I could be completely wrong about that.

Fresh tomato, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and a balsamic vinaigrette is one of my favorite summer salads. Dead simple too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Most salsas and bruchetta

/e - loving pizzas man

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kalstrams posted:

Yeah, just regular kitchen stove and a few regular pans (and awful cooking skills). While the recipe you linked is a bit on the fancy side for my wallet and my dietary restrictions, I ended up burgin' it along the lines you described, since I did have neither a fancy oil nor an instant read probe thermometer and ended up using sunflower oil and frying it on medium-low heat for good 7 minutes per side, after initially frying up the outsides on a bit higher heat, while poking it here and there to see what comes out. This probably sounds like a mockery of making a burger etc. but I don't come from the land of freedom :911: so this was the first burger I made in my life. This is the result:

I find it :perfect:

Not at all. A burger is what you make it, so long as it a lump of 4-legged animal in patty shape. Congratulations, here is your honorary US Food Passport.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the suggestions about the meatball binders, guys. I'll try them all and see which I prefer given the recipe. I hadn't realized textured vegetable protein was a thing, either. It's like powdered beans or something.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not at all. A burger is what you make it, so long as it a lump of 4-legged animal in patty shape. Congratulations, here is your honorary US Food Passport.

That you've never eaten a salmon burger saddens me. Or had a grilled portobello mushroom as the patty in a sandwich.

shakin' my head, man.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mich posted:

Maangchi is always a great guide for korea foods.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/napa-cabbage-kimchi

One tip though, always give your veg a taste after the post-salting rinsing step since depending on the size of your cabbage and the fineness of your particular salt, your cabbage might absorb more salt than maangchi's did. It says to rinse 3 times but you should rinse more if it's still very salty tasting, as you'll be adding back in more salt through the fish sauce. Don't rinse off all the salt or anything, just if it is already tasting a bit too salty after the rinse step, it's only going to be saltier after applying the paste.

Speaking of maangchi, this is super tasty, usually done with fattier pork but since it's sliced thinly and grilled quickly it should work with the leaner cut too: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dwaejibulgogi

Slicing it thinly and making Vietnamese style grilled pork skewers would also be good, made into noodle bowls or rice paper rolls:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Grilled_Meat_(Th%E1%BB%8Bt_n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bng)

This turned out absolutely amazing. I have about half of the pork left in the marinade that I'll grill tomorrow; maybe it will be even better.

Thanks a ton! I had to make some substitutions (Bosc pears instead of Korean, honey instead of rice syrup) and I didn't measure hardly anything, and i don't know that I'd change the "recipe" I used.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Turkey makes good burgers also.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Reason posted:

Turkey makes good burgers also.

If you grind in about 35% bacon, sure.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Mr. Wookums posted:

Most salsas and bruchetta

/e - loving pizzas man

Yeah I forgot to mention pizzas, those are great with fresh tomatoes.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I know where to look now.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

BLT's with tomatoes grown from the garden are on an entirely different level than store-bought maters. I had some yesterday.

drat straight. I particularly like a nice thick slice of a beefsteak variety.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you grind in about 35% bacon, sure.

You could also buy the gross stuff in the opaque tubes that is like 50% skin.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I've got a few pounds of ground beef I need to use up today. I was going to make myself a burger or two for lunch, but that might use a quarter, at best, of this package of beef.

I have some pesto I made from the greens off the tops of the carrots I grew in my garden and was trying to think of recipes where I could use up the beef and take advantage of the pesto. The best I've come up with are pesto meatballs served over couscous but it's hot out and I'd prefer to avoid using the oven. Any ideas?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Reason posted:

Software for keeping recipes/creating shopping lists? Preferably something PC/IOS that I can sync?
I use Evernote.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I also recommend Paprika for recipes and shopping lists. The browser that pulls recipes from websites works really well, but it's also really simple to import or type in your own recipes. It has a place for meal and event planning, and is pretty flexible and easy to customize. It has built in timers too so when your recipe directions say "bake for 20 minutes" a 20 minute timer comes up when you touch that phrase. Another feature I appreciate is that it overrides your device time-out, so when I'm using it on my iPad, I don't have to wake it up every three minutes.

Worth the approximate cost of a nice lunch that you pay to get it on phone, tablet and PC/Mac.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I've got a few pounds of ground beef I need to use up today. I was going to make myself a burger or two for lunch, but that might use a quarter, at best, of this package of beef.

I have some pesto I made from the greens off the tops of the carrots I grew in my garden and was trying to think of recipes where I could use up the beef and take advantage of the pesto. The best I've come up with are pesto meatballs served over couscous but it's hot out and I'd prefer to avoid using the oven. Any ideas?

Forget the pesto, just cook up the ground beef and bring tacos for lunch for the rest of the week.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I'm on vacation, I've got plenty of time for preparing food. I don't *need* to use the pesto but I'd like to if anyone has an idea for something that uses both ground beef and pesto in its recipe.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

You could also buy the gross stuff in the opaque tubes that is like 50% skin.
thats gross your gross

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I bought some "spicy sichuan tofu" at the local Asian market. Am I supposed to cook this stuff or just eat it raw? It was in the refrigerated section, and it's tofu medallions coated in a spicy oil.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I'm on vacation, I've got plenty of time for preparing food. I don't *need* to use the pesto but I'd like to if anyone has an idea for something that uses both ground beef and pesto in its recipe.

You could just make burgers, slather with pesto and serve on, like, toasted brioche. It's not a recipe but it probably wouldn't be bad. Especially if you add fresh tomatoes and some complementary cheese.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Lawnie, glad the pork grilling went well, and it's definitely not a recipe you need to measure carefully or anything!

Bob Morales posted:

BLT's with tomatoes grown from the garden are on an entirely different level than store-bought maters. I had some yesterday.

I am in definitely agreement but would also like to add that with really good tomatoes you can just cut out the middleman. If you have good bread, just toast or griddle that up, add a schmear of good mayo, a big fat slice of tomato, salt and lots of pepper, and that alone is an amazing sandwich.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Is ordering sushi grade tuna online asking for trouble? It sounds like it could go bad..?

I'm makin' sushi for the first time and I don't want to poison myself.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yaws posted:

Is ordering sushi grade tuna online asking for trouble? It sounds like it could go bad..?

Sushi grade tuna is not a regulated thing. Almost any fish you can buy will have already been frozen for long enough to kill parasites.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My girlfriend's birthday is coming up, and I need vegetable/general advice for the entree. She LOVES peaches, and they are still in season here in Texas. I'll be making everything myself except the baguette, so I tried to make it easy on myself, and almost all of the final dishes are just plating stuff that has already been made in advance, minus the duck breast.

Appetizer: Duck Board
Duck confit
Duck liver pate
Peach gelee
Blackberry gelee
Toasted baguette

Entree: Sous Vide Duck w/ Peach Sauce
Sous vide duck breast
Sweet and sour 5-spice peach gastrique
<YOUR VEGGIE HERE!>

Dessert: Honey Pear Sundae
Honey pear Ice Cream
Brown butter caramel sauce
Chocolate sauce
Toasted walnuts
Sliced 5-spice poached pear (too much with the sauces?)

What do you think, goons? Any suggestions and advice are welcome.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Baby bok choy and wild rice, and no chocolate on the dessert.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
She loves peaches but you're making all that pear dessert?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Psychobabble posted:

Baby bok choy and wild rice, and no chocolate on the dessert.

Agreed, and halved peaches with the cut part rubbed with brown sugar and butter and seared quickly in a cast iron is pretty drat good and easy for dessert. Serve on ice cream.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yaws posted:

I'd avoid it. Chances are overwhelmingly in favor of it just being overpriced middling quality stuff. Depending on where you live try to find a fishmonger and just talk to them for a few about their stuff.

If you have never made sushi before and are not trying to make sashimi specifically or don't have any specific type in mind to make I'd suggest just getting a bunch of veggies and maybe poach a piece of salmon or something and start with that. It will make decent stuff and you can work on getting the rice made the way you want, learning how to roll and also trying different ingredients with or without the fish without setting you back money-wise. Ignore this if you are trying to create a specific thing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I was drinking a kinda bitter, not great black iced coffee in my favorite big mug, but I kinda forgot about it and started eating an apple. Then somehow the apple core ended up in the coffee mug.

It sat for about an hour until I noticed it and threw the core out properly, and was about to throw the coffee away, when I took a test sip. The bitterness is almost completely gone. There's an airy hint of sweet on the backend, but it's still strong nice coffee. It's not just sweetened, it's CHANGED. Oooh magical.

So when I take my bad coffee with an apple slice from now on, don't judge me.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That Works posted:

I'd avoid it. Chances are overwhelmingly in favor of it just being overpriced middling quality stuff. Depending on where you live try to find a fishmonger and just talk to them for a few about their stuff.

If you have never made sushi before and are not trying to make sashimi specifically or don't have any specific type in mind to make I'd suggest just getting a bunch of veggies and maybe poach a piece of salmon or something and start with that. It will make decent stuff and you can work on getting the rice made the way you want, learning how to roll and also trying different ingredients with or without the fish without setting you back money-wise. Ignore this if you are trying to create a specific thing.

Yeah I live in rural Iowa so the chances of me getting fresh saltwater fish is zero. What do you mean by poaching a salmon? Would buying the frozen stuff suffice?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You don't use fresh fish in sushi. It has to be frozen to kill parasites. The best tuna in the world at Tsukiji is sold frozen:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

When something refers to fresh ground pepper, how fresh are we talking? I generally grind the pepper when cooking, but I realized I could just grind it into a prep bowl when I'm getting my ingredients setup beforehand and then toss in pinches as needed. is there any reason not to do that?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's fine. Don't do it a week in advance but if you want to do that an hour before you use it I doubt it'd ruin everything.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yaws posted:

If you can't find decent fish in the stores around you, I've had super great fish from http://catalinaop.com/ every time I've ordered.

Edit: It is stupid expensive tho

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nuru posted:

When something refers to fresh ground pepper, how fresh are we talking? I generally grind the pepper when cooking, but I realized I could just grind it into a prep bowl when I'm getting my ingredients setup beforehand and then toss in pinches as needed. is there any reason not to do that?

That's fine, but I keep an easy-to-use pepper grinder around the kitchen so I can just add in however much I want when I need to. I got one of those oxos with the crank handle so I can put out a lot of pepper really fast. That way you only use up however much you need and it's as freshly ground as possible!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yeah, I just use a pepper mill as I need it unless I need a half cup of pepper or something.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I have left over uncooked corn on the cob from a bbq. 5 ears. Any ideas? I just used some of what I had left to roast up and throw into a bean chili.

I know chowder is obvious I feel like that's a little too thick considering it is a scortcher here today

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I have left over uncooked corn on the cob from a bbq. 5 ears. Any ideas? I just used some of what I had left to roast up and throw into a bean chili.

I know chowder is obvious I feel like that's a little too thick considering it is a scortcher here today

well, you'll need some other things, but this is my new favorite quick and simple recipe for a couple of weeks now,
it's definitely a keeper and perfect for hot days. Leftovers also keep really well in the fridge as long as
you wait with the avocado till it's time to eat.

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2014/06/black-bean-corn-salad-chipotle-honey-vinaigrette.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Speaking of fish, I have a dumb question. A great fishmonger opened near me and I've been eating whole fish like it's my job. I mean cheap little guys -- porgy, mullet, pompano, branzino, mackerel.

Anyone know whether they would have been frozen? For bonus points, any guesses where they come from?

The fish guys are really nice but we don't have any languages in common. The fish are in good shape, smell good, eyes usually bright. They're totally whole, only cleaned and scaled after I choose them. And the ones I get are mad cheap, $2-4/lb on sale. I live in NYC, and there's plenty of fishing up and down the east coast, but :iiam:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

Speaking of fish, I have a dumb question. A great fishmonger opened near me and I've been eating whole fish like it's my job. I mean cheap little guys -- porgy, mullet, pompano, branzino, mackerel.

Anyone know whether they would have been frozen? For bonus points, any guesses where they come from?

I've heard tell that every fish no matter how fresh is always frozen, by law, if it's wild caught. Farm raised doesn't have to be...

By law doesn't it also have to be labeled whether it was previously frozen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Succotash. Cut the corn off the cob, add some pierced cherry tomatoes (or plum or whatever small size tickles your fancy), then coat in olive oil, salt and pepper. I like to add diced green chiles from a can for some heat and a bit more depth of flavor. I typically just throw this in a foil packet and let it cook on the cool side of my grill while doing the meat on the hot side, but you can also just throw it all in a covered pan and cook until the tomatoes pop and the corn is a nice bright yellow.