Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Carecat posted:

I just joined a Conduit where the gateway and all the mobs were missing :confused:

Even the Borg know this game ain't worth sticking around for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
I bet the DPS channel spergs (both groups) are going nuts right now.

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

We're in. The next stage of our plans can start in 19:55:01

I assume everybody involved is ready?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thought I might give this game a whirl since it's free but the last few pages are pretty doom and gloom.

Will I get a fun experience albeit it could only be fun for a month.

Since the OP is from last year, which server and faction is the main goon hangout these days?

In regards to bring f2p, will I be pretty hosed unless I sub and/or buy ships etc?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Carecat posted:

I just joined a Conduit where the gateway and all the mobs were missing :confused:
I tried doing CCE three times and every time the entity was missing entirely. :downs: That's one way to cut down on lag!

Tai posted:

Thought I might give this game a whirl since it's free but the last few pages are pretty doom and gloom.

Since the OP is from last year, which server and faction is the main goon hangout these days?

In regards to bring f2p, will I be pretty hosed unless I sub and/or buy ships etc?
If you've never played it before the game's still kind of fun. Just for the love of god don't give them a cent.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Be a Tactical Romulan.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

The heck ship is that? What did you DO?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tai posted:

There's only the one server plus the test server.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Tunicate posted:

Be a Tactical Romulan.

Yeah this. As for ships there's some dirt cheap for in game money options that will be good enough to do all the content. You won't need any of the many pay 2 win options.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DarkMalfunction posted:

STO's story line is a pile of wank, I really hope that it never does get considered canon.

I liked the whole storyline kicked off by the Destiny novels, Typhon Pact, and DS9 relaunch - it's still a bit stupid compared to the shows (gently caress me, the Caeliar "borg are made of humans" poo poo is a stupid storyline), but at least there's actually a lot of stuff in the storyline, unlike the barren wasteland we call the STO lore.

e: imagine if the STO lore contained player lore like in EVE Online, it would just be full of people with clones of show characters and Orion bondage bitch RPers.

I can live with it since it had the Borg get sick of getting owned by the Federation, invade, and burn down loving EVERYTHING.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
RE: New Netflix-style Star Trek show. I would punt babies from here to Wolf 359 for this to be a real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMmGQdD__As

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Is it the thing where Chekov shows up and does a worse job than when he was in Babylon 5?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Tai posted:

Hahahahahahahaha.

You're serious? Let me laugh even harder.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Is it the thing where Chekov shows up and does a worse job than when he was in Babylon 5?

Umm. Bester was the best. I think you should leave.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
God help me, I'm installing this game again.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

CAT BRUSH posted:

God help me, I'm installing this game again.

http://the-guls-itch.tumblr.com/

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You'll fit right in. We have another guy who really "likes Sonic"

mags
May 30, 2008

I hate Sonic and I've played before.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

kafziel posted:

The heck ship is that? What did you DO?

Fleet Heavy Cruiser with Stargazer pieces and Delta Alliance shields.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I'm having a lovely time with The Old Republic

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 28, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Acer Pilot posted:

Umm. Bester was the best. I think you should leave.

Worse. Like not as good. When presumably, you'd think he'd be better at chekoving than bestering.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
So the new ship is four highlighter pens and a pie plate?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

I'm having a lovely time with The Old Republic
It has a lot of issues still (mostly due to being a much more traditional MMO) but there's been a crazy amount of QOL improvements and it's weird actually playing a game that's vaguely polished, doesn't lag, and is actively maintained. Everything about how the cash shop, lockboxes, and collections are handled is so blatantly superior to STO's crippled take.

I pretty much only log into STO now out of force of habit to do doff jobs. Considering how little motivation I've had, if the next big patch is also poo poo I might finally drop it entirely. Can't even be bothered to buy the new lockbox boats off the exchange. :effort:

mags
May 30, 2008

Is the Ferengi ship worth the grind?

mags
May 30, 2008

Goddamnit.

mags
May 30, 2008

I immediately regret installing this terrible game.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

It has a lot of issues still (mostly due to being a much more traditional MMO) but there's been a crazy amount of QOL improvements and it's weird actually playing a game that's vaguely polished, doesn't lag, and is actively maintained. Everything about how the cash shop, lockboxes, and collections are handled is so blatantly superior to STO's crippled take.

I pretty much only log into STO now out of force of habit to do doff jobs. Considering how little motivation I've had, if the next big patch is also poo poo I might finally drop it entirely. Can't even be bothered to buy the new lockbox boats off the exchange. :effort:

Yeah I'm appreciating it for what it is. A Jedi Knight is basically a sweeping strikes tac officer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Asimo posted:

I think that they'll make some big improvements with the next expansion where they are apparently tossing out some of the trappings of old-style MMO design.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I think that they'll make some big improvements with the next expansion where they are apparently tossing out some of the trappings of old-style MMO design.
Yeah. Honestly my only main problem with TOR right now is there's still a huge focus on random drops for progression and endgame raiding and such. It's not as strong as some of the competition, and it sounds like the expansion's focusing heavily on their best aspects (the solo storyline/small group story instance stuff) but skipping all that bullshit is one of the few things that made me keep playing STO even when Delta Rising hosed it all up. Of course it's hard to keep playing STO when there's no interesting puggable queues left, the new story arcs are astoundingly horrible, and they keep tightening the real money thumbscrews.

I mean hell, the collection in TOR is basically something STO needed two years ago. All those rare drops and lockbox items and store purchases are infinitely reclaimable? And you can account unlock them for a trivial-to-modest fee? Why the gently caress can't you do this for poo poo like lockbox ships and event doffs and all that other crap in STO? (The answer of course is their developers are incompetent and the backend code is useless and busy falling apart at the seams while the team continues to shrink.)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

Yeah. Honestly my only main problem with TOR right now is there's still a huge focus on random drops for progression and endgame raiding and such. It's not as strong as some of the competition, and it sounds like the expansion's focusing heavily on their best aspects (the solo storyline/small group story instance stuff) but skipping all that bullshit is one of the few things that made me keep playing STO even when Delta Rising hosed it all up. Of course it's hard to keep playing STO when there's no interesting puggable queues left, the new story arcs are astoundingly horrible, and they keep tightening the real money thumbscrews.

I mean hell, the collection in TOR is basically something STO needed two years ago. All those rare drops and lockbox items and store purchases are infinitely reclaimable? And you can account unlock them for a trivial-to-modest fee? Why the gently caress can't you do this for poo poo like lockbox ships and event doffs and all that other crap in STO? (The answer of course is their developers are incompetent and the backend code is useless and busy falling apart at the seams while the team continues to shrink.)

Oh poo poo yes, that's awesome. I'd heard of it before but hadn't investigated the system deeply. The Imperial uniform I impulse bought on another server will be mine forever!

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
While I liked some of the storylines, it does have some problems. First off, it's Space WoW. Also, they somehow managed to make lightsabers the most boring non-visceral weapons in the whole game. It feels like you're waving glow sticks and not cutting into your enemies. And let's not kid ourselves. The free to play model they came up with is dogshit.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

While I liked some of the storylines, it does have some problems. First off, it's Space WoW. Also, they somehow managed to make lightsabers the most boring non-visceral weapons in the whole game. It feels like you're waving glow sticks and not cutting into your enemies. And let's not kid ourselves. The free to play model they came up with is dogshit.

...Said the man in the Star Trek Online thread, the day after the release of yet another $60 pack of spaceships.

They're all bad, mate. TOR is at least an interesting change.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So regarding starting this game up, the responses haven't been overwhelmingly positive so avoid?

E - If there's gently caress all goon presence, can't say I'd bother either.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Tai posted:

So regarding starting this game up, the responses haven't been overwhelmingly positive so avoid?

It's ok while you're levelling. The ship combat is still pretty fun, despite Cryptic's changes (you won't see the most bullshit until you hit level 50 and start trying to get to 60, that is a tedious boring grind.) The most fun left for most of us is the meta, making certain pubbies (hi Xean, I know you're reading this thread!) angry at us just by playing and being all round great guys to the community, hosing down erpists and furries with fire extinguishers, etc. There's no real end game beyond the gear treadmill and buying all of the latest release ships with the money we make from our false disability paycheques from the government, so if you're looking for an mmo that'll keep you entertained beyond what, the couple weeks it takes to hit 50? Don't bother.

The goon presence is dying off and especially dead right now due to it being between major season and holiday updates, next time one of those hits should see an upswing in players. The development studio has no idea how to effectively monetise the game and has changed it from casual fun time to gently caress YOU BUY OUR SHIPS RIGHT NOW SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY WE DON'T CARE BUY BUY BUY and the smart money is on the game being dead Soon(tm).

If that doesn't sound fun to you, then yeah, avoid. Otherwise head in and be a star trek captain without the child molestation.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Meh, there are goons around but most of the people who still actively log in are furries, bronies, people who get super defensive about their Star Treks and Thunderpoopin. Stare not into the abyss and what not.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tai posted:

It's not really a game that has large scale raids and stuff. There are almost always enough goons on to do the group content, which is all 5-man stuff. And the real fun is interacting with the lovely pubbie community, you can almost always rustle up somone to enjoy that with you.

In spite of our relatively small numbers compared to other mmos, goons do have a serious -presence- in the game. The goon fleet Starfleet Dental is the most well known guild in the game, and reviled by a lot of the population. You sometimes get hate messages just for being there and having the guild tag. There are a lot of pubbies with a lot of grudges and grievances against goons that still fester after a loooong time.

The game community is mainly organized by chat channels, and the largest channel in the game is the goon created and operated channel "NoP public service," which literally revolutionized the game for people by offering free access to completed guild / fleet stores and items.

It's not a -terrible- game if you like pictures of Star Trek stuff, and it's still pretty casual. We've got a mumble and some of the goons who don't actually play much still keep an external chat client running, so there's a good knowledge base so you don't waste your time with dumb builds and stuff.

The main thing is just don't give them any money.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9476673-star-trek-online%3A-akira-class-remodel

They're remodelling the Akira. Yay.

That model was horrible. I hope this means they're redoing the defiant. Then again, they didn't re-do the Excelsior.

Also if you go to STLV (or get one out of a giveaway) you can get an EMH Bridge Officer.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9476103-star-trek-online%3A-star-trek-las-vegas

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 28, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Is it possible to get to wherever the pubbies hang out straight away once you can fly around, or will they just outright ignore anyone who's of a certain rank?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Just go to any social zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Thomas did the model for Alita and the Remade Akira. The man is a busy.. cat.

• Locked thread