Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

I haven't really played the game because I just can't get a hang of the menus and the tile sets. But I do enjoy seeing peoples updates of funny poo poo that's happened in the game. Does Toady just decide to simulate things in the game just because? Just because he can?

How does Gnomoria stack up to Dwarf Fortress? I can play that game fairly alright, but just something about DF doesn't click with me and I want to enjoy it.

There is no other thing comparable to Dwarf Fortress.

It is it's own entity. In our universe, it is unique.

You must accept that and let it wash over you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Well, Ultima Ratio Regum is kinda comparable in the sense that it's also a roguelike with crazy procedural generation and simulation of everything. The biggest difference is that doesn't have a fortress mode.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

abrosheen posted:

I'm still pretty new at this game, and I'm having a problem where certain dwarves seem to ignore civilian alerts. Mostly, it's children, but the occasional adult seems to do it too. Every other dwarf in the fort is piling down stairs, and one idiot/child wanders up and out to get slaughtered. Is this a bug, or am I causing this through ignorance?

It's possible you're accidentally removing their path to safety with your security measures (drawbridge or locked door or whatever), but dwarves are pretty dumb in general. You might be able to limit this sort of thing by setting burrows, so that dwarves don't go wandering off to do things like "take a gander at that goblin crossbowman" or "take a refreshing sip from Carp River." If you're already doing that you might want to constrict your burrows a little or expand your security measures.

markus_cz posted:

Well, Ultima Ratio Regum is kinda comparable in the sense that it's also a roguelike with crazy procedural generation and simulation of everything. The biggest difference is that doesn't have a fortress mode.

DF has another mode than fortress mode?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of other games! Can we get a list of DF-alikes? Gnomeria, AKA "Gnome Fortress" is the closest to the overall feel of DF that I have seen so far, but Rimworld is also good and there are others. On the topic of Rimworld, I just watched the first episode of some random youtuber's LP series of the new build and it's looking pretty :krad:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Nietzschean posted:

Speaking of other games! Can we get a list of DF-alikes? Gnomeria, AKA "Gnome Fortress" is the closest to the overall feel of DF that I have seen so far, but Rimworld is also good and there are others. On the topic of Rimworld, I just watched the first episode of some random youtuber's LP series of the new build and it's looking pretty :krad:

Rimworld is cool but lacks depth. I got bored after a couple colonies and haven't touched it in a while.

I should get back into DF. The itch is coming back and Rimworld didn't quite scratch it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenWing posted:

Rimworld is cool but lacks depth. I got bored after a couple colonies and haven't touched it in a while.

I should get back into DF. The itch is coming back and Rimworld didn't quite scratch it.

I also really want to get back into DF, but the FPS/lag issues in current release makes TiDi seem palatable.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

It's possible you're accidentally removing their path to safety with your security measures (drawbridge or locked door or whatever), but dwarves are pretty dumb in general. You might be able to limit this sort of thing by setting burrows, so that dwarves don't go wandering off to do things like "take a gander at that goblin crossbowman" or "take a refreshing sip from Carp River." If you're already doing that you might want to constrict your burrows a little or expand your security measures.

Thanks for the response. Making better use of burrows and streamlining flow of dwarves/work through my forts are things I've been ignoring for a while, so that's probably the problem. I tried to build this current fort around forcing the dwarves to walk past a water fall and outside to avoid adaption, and the end result was a huge logistical mess

On a related note, getting a full cloth production chain starting from plant/animal through to clothing is a huge hassle I'm still struggling to figure out

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

markus_cz posted:

That looks pretty interesting and I'd never heard of it before, thanks for posting that.

e: Rimworld is really, really good and continuously being expanded and made more awesome. The developer (Tynan) is running out of gas and will probably take a long break pretty soon (maybe at the next major release) but it's a very complete game already and very moddable. If you like DF then Rimworld is a really good alternative, it has many things in common but only about 1/5th of the clunk factor.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 28, 2015

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

abrosheen posted:

Thanks for the response. Making better use of burrows and streamlining flow of dwarves/work through my forts are things I've been ignoring for a while, so that's probably the problem. I tried to build this current fort around forcing the dwarves to walk past a water fall and outside to avoid adaption, and the end result was a huge logistical mess

On a related note, getting a full cloth production chain starting from plant/animal through to clothing is a huge hassle I'm still struggling to figure out

Plant clothing is easy. Grow a farm of pig tails, process plants at a farmer's workshop to get thread, weave plant thread at a loom to get cloth, dye the cloth if you're feeling adventurous, make cloth whatever at a clothier's shop, make your surplus pig tails into booze. Animal is even easier, instead of farming you just need to have the animal and butcher/shear it. The most annoying part of the whole business is making the actual clothes, which is a great opportunity to use work orders so you don't have to scroll through a twenty item list looking for socks

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah making animal cloth is really simple, just build a Farmer's workshop and make a job "Shear an Animal" set on repeat. If there is an applicable animal that is ready to be shorn (sheep, alpaca, whatever) in your owned animals then a worker with the Shearing labor enabled will go and lead it to the Farmer's workshop and produce a quantity of wool, which can then be woven into wool cloth on a Loom (make a job "Weave wool cloth" on repeat). Unless you have gobs of hairy animals then it will happen that the jobs won't run forever, but this is something else the Manager can automate. Unfortunately it makes a lot of failure messages when this happens though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

skasion posted:

The most annoying part of the whole business is making the actual clothes, which is a great opportunity to use work orders so you don't have to scroll through a twenty item list looking for socks
And on this note, I'd advise just making huge surpluses of everything instead of trying to keep track of which dwarves are down to XXpig tail fiber socksXX. After a couple years, it's trivial to have more thread/cloth/clothing than you know what to do with.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

With the tools we have right now, it's actually detrimental to give your dwarves cabinets. That prevents the threadbare crap from ever getting discarded and rotting away right.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Plant hemp everyday

All the cloth, bread and soap you could ever want

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Prop Wash posted:

Plant hemp everyday

All the cloth, bread and soap you could ever want

But not alcohol so gently caress off with that hippy bullshit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

honestly, DF is pretty much the only thing that scratches that specific itch. other games really aren't and never will be the same, partially because DF has such a long development time behind it and focuses entirely on specific aspects which, while not exactly kind to the average computer's processing power, make it fairly unique.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

With the tools we have right now, it's actually detrimental to give your dwarves cabinets. That prevents the threadbare crap from ever getting discarded and rotting away right.

i consider dfhack a tool

cleanowned scattered x
cleanowned scattered X

and everything is sent down into the cleansing fire of semi-molten rock. No more clutter!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I dunno if stuff inside containers counts as "scattered".

In other news, Mifki popped up the other day:

mifki posted:

Small status update. I haven't done any real development lately, but now I have good understanding what I want to do in the next version and how it all will be configured.
Most important, it will allow to effectively (from performance point of view) override everything. By everything I mean, in addition to tiletypes, items and buildings, it will be possible to specify different images for all unmined materials, gems, plants, growths, dead creatures, etc. - things that can have tile number/color changed in raws will not be limited to 256 base tiles.

No raw changes will be needed, the plugin will make the required modifications in memory.
Basic mode of operation will be based on folders/files structure named after raw IDs and other identifiers (plus suffixes for different states/flags), eg.

code:
items/weapon/sword_short.png
buildings/bed.png
buildings/bed-dorm.png
buildings/workshops/carpenter.png
inorganic/onyx.png
plants/asparagus-shrub.png
plants/asparagus-shrub-dead.png
plants/asparagus-picked.png
plants/asparagus-leaves.png
plants/asparagus-flowers.png
plants/asparagus-fruit.png
Also, there will be optional config file that will allow to "redirect" these pathnames to tiles in a sprite sheet, and additionally specify some options, for example colour mode (use bg/fg material colors, use fg colour only, use image as is) and transparency of tiles in workshops. Like this,

code:
items/weapon/axe_battle         = items,5,0              [=]
items/weapon/axe_great          = items,5,1              [=]
items/weapon/axe_toy            = items,5,2              [=]
items/weapon/spear              = items,5,3              [=]
buildings/workshops/mason                                [222/=.=/=.=]
The bad news is that I don't know when I will have time to work on this...

Not exactly something to set our countdown clocks to, but it's good to hear that he's settled on a plan of some sort.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If I set the grazing coefficient to 999 quadrillion or whatever will I effectively never need to worry about grazing?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Moon Monster posted:

If I set the grazing coefficient to 999 quadrillion or whatever will I effectively never need to worry about grazing?

You can just remove the [GRAZER] tag from everything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can just remove the [GRAZER] tag from everything.

Would I have to generate a new world for that to go into effect?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Moon Monster posted:

Would I have to generate a new world for that to go into effect?

You don't, just make sure you edit the save's raws and not the main ones. (Or edit both, if you want this change in every world you make.)

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

scamtank posted:

I dunno if stuff inside containers counts as "scattered".

In other news, Mifki popped up the other day:

Is there actually anyone who has used TWBT to create a proper graphical tileset? For vanilla I mean, Masterwork doesn't count. Last time I checked, TWBT had been out for months and nobody had actually used it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have had the completely unoriginal idea of making a Minecraft server with some friends in which we carve out a dwarven fortress from the mountains. I am sure at least all of the posters in this thread have done the same at one point, and I am curious how you went about it. I am looking at TerraFirmaCraft as the only real mod, simply so we have more layers of ground (it raises the sea level to 128), but I am open to others,. The biggest thing for me right now is deciding on a scale. Minecraft avatars are 1x1x2 blocks in dimension, but things in DF of arbitrary size are all a single block or 3 blocks in radius. Thoughts?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

markus_cz posted:

Is there actually anyone who has used TWBT to create a proper graphical tileset? For vanilla I mean, Masterwork doesn't count. Last time I checked, TWBT had been out for months and nobody had actually used it.

GemSet seems like it's the only one that's really pushing to give TWBT the beans. Everything else has too much inertia from the old way of doing things to bother, I guess.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Gemset looks really cool

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is Gemset?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

a thing that seems like a step up from the basic gfx sets we're used to

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 29, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Wish it was more tile set like instead of ASCII for non creatures

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It looks like any one of the many ASCII-like tile sets we already have. What's the special thing about it?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Nietzschean posted:

It looks like any one of the many ASCII-like tile sets we already have. What's the special thing about it?

It really doesn't. It's a pretty big step up from any ASCII set we've seen before.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

High resolution and the intention to actually make an actual graphic representation for all the things on the playing field, no halfway compromise hieroglyphs or just plain raw ASCII symbols in the mix killing the buzz.

TWBT allows both, by way of the whole override system and being able to defy the absolute minimum window size of 80x25 tiles. It opens up some artistic liberty when you don't have to compromise with resolution due to the window width - it's just disheartening when a Dwarf Fortress mod lists "4K monitor" as a system requisite.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess I am just too dumb to get it? I see ASCII-like tilesets such as CFA and Geoduck, which require me to look at things like division operators and other punctuation marks, and I see graphical tilesets such as Phoebus and Spacefox which show me barrels and doors. GemSet looks like the former. If it is somehow special in a way that those are not, I do not see it. I'm not trying to be facetious; I am assuming there is something obvious that I am missing but I have no idea what or how to see it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Nietzschean posted:

I guess I am just too dumb to get it? I see ASCII-like tilesets such as CFA and Geoduck, which require me to look at things like division operators and other punctuation marks, and I see graphical tilesets such as Phoebus and Spacefox which show me barrels and doors. GemSet looks like the former. If it is somehow special in a way that those are not, I do not see it. I'm not trying to be facetious; I am assuming there is something obvious that I am missing but I have no idea what or how to see it.

Far as I can tell, GemSet is unique in that it's extremely hi-res, and the eventual goal is to get 100% of the tiles converted (as far as I can tell from what's been said in this thread so far).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm a little surprised how he hasn't done anything to redraw the workshops yet. I grant you, it doesn't look too revolutionary.

Some of the things you can't do with just DFHack at this stage are unique sprites for "planted field" tiles and different , ' . ` -type tiles depending on whether the ground is covered in soil, stone, grass or cave shrooms.
He's also flashed a tilesheet detailing his attempt to get a unique sprite for every plant in the game, crops or shrubs:

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

If I understand correctly, it's not limited to the 256 ASCII characters that normal tilesets have to use. Many ASCII tiles have to perform multiple duties, since items, world tiles, travel map tiles, gameplay terrain tiles, creatures, UI icons, etc. are all sharing the same pool of 256 tiles. For example, with a normal tileset, ♂ is the hardcoded ASCII tile for both bags and the literal gender symbol. If you, as a tileset maker, redraw ♂ to look like a bag, now your gender symbols look like bags too. TWBT lets you override how bags are rendered so they can have a unique symbol without affecting text, UI, etc. It's a subtle but very important difference.

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 30, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hepatizon posted:

If I understand correctly, it's not limited to the 256 ASCII characters that normal tilesets have to use. Many ASCII tiles have to perform multiple duties, since items, world tiles, travel map tiles, gameplay terrain tiles, creatures, UI icons, etc. are all sharing the same pool of 256 tiles. For example, with a normal tileset, ♂ is the hardcoded ASCII tile for both bags and the literal gender symbol. If you, as a tileset maker, redraw ♂ to look like a bag, now your gender symbols look like bags too. TWBT lets you override how bags are rendered so they can have a unique symbol without affecting text, UI, etc. It's a subtle but very important difference.

I use TWBT in Phoebus such that my text remains text; that is not unique to GemSet. Is the thing with GemSet just that it's built with TWBT in mind from the start?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Nietzschean posted:

I use TWBT in Phoebus such that my text remains text; that is not unique to GemSet. Is the thing with GemSet just that it's built with TWBT in mind from the start?

Yes. It's in early stages, so there's not much in way of custom icons and symbols yet. But the plan is to do them all, as scamtank has mentioned. Not to mention it is one of the highest res graphical sets out. It's a clearly a WIP, but worth keeping an eye on.

There's another that was started with some really nice looking custom workshops that's stalled due to the creator having some real life things going on. GemSet is supposedly heading in that direction, but has the added benefit of being usable right now while one I just linked is not.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the intention to make the custom workshops their own 3-tile by 3-tile image instead of 9 1-tile images arranged in a 3x3 grid? If so then that's pretty great.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Okay uhh all my animals are dissolving to death and puking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was inevitable