Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

How does that even break? What the gently caress did they change? Is there even a single part of this game's spaghetti code that doesn't incestuously intertwine with some completely random unrelated element? :psyduck:

Sometimes I wonder if its possible to use the same code that does multiple things which A: Is how this game works cause people are amazed at the idea of a game of this scale running and B: Why changing anything slightly causes changes in things not even related to what was changed originally (allowing the canister shotgun to reload one shell at a time caused all buckshot weapons to make machine gun fire sounds upon killing someone)

Gobblecoque posted:

VS guns aren't any more accurate than their counterparts (the wiki is probably just regurgitating information from before the game went live about the planned pros and cons of factions).

I honestly don't know what the deal is with people saying VS guns are no recoil guns, except the CME, corvus and pulsar c it feels like they harshly rattle left and right which is worse then recoil going straight up or even up and in one single direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

So do VS just have the worst weapons? I thought they were supposed to be really accurate. Least that's what I think the wiki was telling me. I coul of misinterpreted.

All of the guns are accurate with a foregrip and sometimes careful tap-firing. Generally speaking, each faction has the best something.

NC: Best variety of infantry weapons. Probably the closest thing the game has to balanced weapons (except the Cyclone, which is the unfairest advantage one could possibly have).

TR: Idiot-proof everything, home to free exmags and 750 RPM hellguns right out of the starting gate.

VS: Home to weapons that occupy extreme ends of the spectrum, in that sometimes the guns will be utter poo poo, while others are best in class. Has the largest variety of weapons with 0.75 ADS speed.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 28, 2015

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Moochewmoo posted:

So do VS just have the worst weapons? I thought they were supposed to be really accurate. Least that's what I think the wiki was telling me. I coul of misinterpreted.

The thing is even a bad gun is still a gun so for example a good player will be able to do well with any gun given to him be it a solstice or a VX6. What it comes down to is the specialty weapons that are amazing in certain circumstances and the just plain better weapons. Comparing the 3 starter weapons for each faction you'll see some definite winners and some definite losers then comparing the side grades you'll see even bigger discrepancies.

The AR's are a great example, between the pulsar(VS), cycler(TR) and gauss rifle(NC) the cycler/GR are very closely matched with the cycler pulling ahead purely due to its bigger clip. The pulsar on the other hand is a good gun that you can easily make work but the problem is its not in a vacuum compared to the cycler and GR the pulsar is clearly inferior. You then begin throwing in the empire unique side grades and you begin to see some pure BS with VS getting the rear end end repeatedly. A great example is the 3 new carbines, TR/NC got loving amazing carbines that totally fit the gaps they needed to fill while VS got the zennith which looked great on paper but in reality loving sucked and is extremely redundant.

Basically TR/NC's faction traits were to similar so they had to be pushed into extremes to be made balance but VS had to also fit so they couldn't infringe on either traits so they got thrown stupid poo poo like .75 ADS and no bullet drop except only on a few weapons because otherwise it would be to OP. TR/NC have no restrictions on their weapons, they'll still get 10 extra rounds or higher damage even when its OP as hell like the cyclone and TORQ.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Moochewmoo posted:

The starter Vanu weapons are much more of a bullet hose type than a Marksman type. But Vanu has some amazing Marksman type weapons. For Carbines (LA, Engineer) go for the Pulsar-C, for Medic the CME and Corvus fill the role and for Heavies the Ursa and Flare LMGs are fantastic.

But don't stress yourself over it. Burst fire, get some forward grips to reduce the side-to-side recoil and turn down your mouse sensitivity.

Don't blow your starter certs on a new gun. Invest in whatever class you enjoy the most. Unlock better Abilities/Tools and Suit slot options.

Xae fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 28, 2015

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I just have no idea what I'm getting myself into. Though maybe I should preface every post that I'm on ps4. Meditool maxed is pretty fun. The shield regeneration deployable also just prints certs. Plus it keeps the pubbies alive just a little longer which can make a difference. Between those two and plopping a sunderer in a discrete location I'm pretty much always getting xp.

Lots of cool stuff. I hope the ps4 version stays healthy because it plays pretty well. Been having more fun then when I played battlefield or Dust514.

Edit: I cannot find the corvous on ps4. What type of weapon is it?

Moochewmoo fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 28, 2015

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

I just have no idea what I'm getting myself into. Though maybe I should preface every post that I'm on ps4. Meditool maxed is pretty fun. The shield regeneration deployable also just prints certs. Plus it keeps the pubbies alive just a little longer which can make a difference. Between those two and plopping a sunderer in a discrete location I'm pretty much always getting xp.

Lots of cool stuff. I hope the ps4 version stays healthy because it plays pretty well. Been having more fun then when I played battlefield or Dust514.

Edit: I cannot find the corvous on ps4. What type of weapon is it?

It's an Assault Rifle that will leave you very disappointed if you cannot consistently land headshots. It has a very poor rate of fire which really drags the gun down because otherwise it's fantastic.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Hahahaha a TR player cracks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwIlX_rbwyI .

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

It's cute how pissed people get at VS.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's cute how pissed people get at VS.

It's nothing compared to the raw fury held in reserve for the Scatmax.

Also unpopular opinion time but I do think TR get a little hosed over in this game. They don't really have anything that's outstanding, just thing that are good.

Their ESF is the last pick for pilots. The MSW-R is third place to the Anchor/Orion. The Vulcan is outshined by the Saron. The Striker is a piece of poo poo. Fractures are also terrible. Their MAX's are okay, but nothing special. The Jaguar is really nice, but it isn't the Pulsar C. The TORQ and Cycler are both good, but they aren't (Pick any NC Assault Rifle). The Armistice is no Cyclone.

Unless you really love the Pounder MAX, Marauder Harasser or sitting on a hill with the Prowler there's just not a whole lot going for them. There's no infantry gun on TR that I'd play TR for. There's plenty on VS and NC I would.

Fans fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 28, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fans posted:

I love getting clientsided by them when they turn a corner.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Fans posted:

Also unpopular opinion time but I do think TR get a little hosed over in this game. They don't really have anything that's outstanding, just thing that are good.

Their ESF is the last pick for pilots. The MSW-R is third place to the Anchor/Orion. The Vulcan is outshined by the Saron. The Striker is a piece of poo poo. Fractures are also terrible. Their MAX's are okay, but nothing special. The Jaguar is really nice, but it isn't the Pulsar C. The TORQ and Cycler are both good, but they aren't (Pick any NC Assault Rifle). The Armistice is no Cyclone.

Unless you really love the Pounder MAX, Marauder Harasser or sitting on a hill with the Prowler there's just not a whole lot going for them. There's no infantry gun on TR that I'd play TR for. There's plenty on VS and NC I would.

Just try the new t1b cycler :aaa:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ZigZag posted:

Just try the new t1b cycler :aaa:

It's no Gauss Burst.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Any goons on both PC and ps4? I have a feeling that console/controller/aim assist meta is going to put a few different guns and attachment options into the spotlight.

Arghy posted:

A great example is the 3 new carbines, TR/NC got loving amazing carbines that totally fit the gaps they needed to fill while VS got the zennith which looked great on paper but in reality loving sucked and is extremely redundant.

The zenith is a great weapon, better than the, still good, bandit.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!
Archer video - death to all maxes forever and always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1UhqY70DEs

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mustarde posted:

Archer video - death to all maxes forever and always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1UhqY70DEs

The Archer makes me wish there was more Maxes.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Fans posted:

I had a VS around level 80 and one at level 30ish before I ever made a TR and I deleted one of the VS accounts so I could make three TR accounts. There is not one gun the VS has that I'd pick over the TR equivalent, though I will agree the Striker went from my favorite rocket launch in the game to my least used once they took away its lock-on.

To be fair though, even before I moved my main to TR I hated the feel of the Pulsar C and Orion, and even with my VS around level 97ish now I doubt if I have a hundred kills between those two guns.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Xae posted:

The Archer makes me wish there was more Maxes.

Yeah there seems to be a big drop in maxes since the archer was released; squad composition isn't 4 max, 6 heavy ,1 engie and 1 medic anymore.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Leal posted:

Yeah there seems to be a big drop in maxes since the archer was released; squad composition isn't 4 max, 6 heavy ,1 engie and 1 medic anymore.

So now it's 1 max, 9 heavies, 1 engie and 1 medic?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

megane posted:

So now it's 1 max, 9 heavies, 1 engie and 1 medic?

Yes and I'm waiting till DBG implements my idea of a gun that does reduced damage however it punches through heavy overshields. You take longer to kill other mans but comparatively it'll kill a heavy faster then not using the gun if his overshield is up

Either that or EMP tipped bullets

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It'd be simpler to implement it as a special ammo that did 40% damage to shields and 40% to health, but damaged both simultaneously. So a 167 damage gun does 67 damage to health and shields simultaneously, for a slightly longer ttk against full health and shields, longer against partially damaged shields, and quicker against overshields.

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

Remove medkits unironically. REMOVE MEDKITS

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Unclean009 posted:

Remove medkits unironically. REMOVE MEDKITS

and buff the magrider haha

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Fans posted:

The Vulcan is outshined by the Saron.

lol @ yr opinions

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fans posted:

The only bad thing about TR is their pubbies.

The bad thing about NC is their leadership.

The bad thing about VS is goku.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm very close to unlocking the power knife. I'm fairly sure I'm just gonna unlock it, get mad at the hit detection and quit forever though.

Is there a reason why heavy assault is so powerful? It seems kinda nuts that the same class gets the highest damage output, highest health and anti-tank capabilities. Seems like there's no way to engage one unless he's facing like 180 degrees away from you, and even then he might turn around and light you up if he's close enough.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 28, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Minorkos posted:

I'm very close to unlocking the power knife. I'm fairly sure I'm just gonna unlock it, get mad at the hit detection and quit forever though

Is there a reason why heavy assault is so powerful? It seems kinda nuts that the same class gets the highest damage output, highest health and anti-tank capabilities. Seems like there's no way to engage one unless he's facing like 180 degrees away from you, and even then he might turn around and light you up if he's close enough.

Play heavy all the time and you can feel what it's like to be a monstrous god striding among the mortals, chaining headshots into inattentive engineers and dunking on medics who got the drop on you.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Play heavy all the time and you can feel what it's like to be a monstrous god striding among the mortals, chaining headshots into inattentive engineers and dunking on medics who got the drop on you.

I would but the class seems very boring and uninteresting. I realized ADS goes to poo poo while moving as a heavy assault so pretty much all you do is stand or crouch still, move your crosshair to the enemy, then press F and hold m1 on their head and you win! I don't like classes that are as straightforward as the heavy assault, which is why I'm also working towards becoming a power knife guy.

I just hope they do something about the knife hit detection. I already had some pretty horrible experiences trying to stab someone with a regular knife: my knife just keeps slashing at a guy at hugging range and there's no hits. It's even worse if they happen to be walking backwards and shooting at you. I remember when knife hit detection was like a cone in the beta, but I guess that was removed for some reason? I guess it's not enough that you get to melee range to a guy, you also have play the hit detection minigame.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Be aware that power knife hit detection is different from quick knife hit detection. Quick knives hit a very close sweep in front of you, but if you equip the knife (which you have to do to activate it for the one hit kills,) it only hits directly where you're aiming. And yeah, if they're walking backwards, don't even bother with the knife, because you have to stop to swing it.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!

Minorkos posted:

I would but the class seems very boring and uninteresting. I realized ADS goes to poo poo while moving as a heavy assault so pretty much all you do is stand or crouch still, move your crosshair to the enemy, then press F and hold m1 on their head and you win! I don't like classes that are as straightforward as the heavy assault, which is why I'm also working towards becoming a power knife guy.

I just hope they do something about the knife hit detection. I already had some pretty horrible experiences trying to stab someone with a regular knife: my knife just keeps slashing at a guy at hugging range and there's no hits. It's even worse if they happen to be walking backwards and shooting at you. I remember when knife hit detection was like a cone in the beta, but I guess that was removed for some reason? I guess it's not enough that you get to melee range to a guy, you also have play the hit detection minigame.

People talk about HA being boring for gameplay but I just don't see it that way. If it were as simple as hitting F and winning every fight then sure - but in a game where you can find yourself in a 1v2,3 or 4 - HA gameplay requires a lot more than just sitting still and mowing down idiots. If anything, using the MAX borders on boring as it is slow, methodical face melting.

Even in 1v1's, if you don't have good aim and get the first shot in, you can easily find yourself outgunned or outskilled. Take nothing for granted as an HA, and be aggressive, making the first shot, rounding corners with the scope up ready to fire, and hit the head. There's nothing boring about killing as many people as fast as you can until you go down imo

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

:swoon:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mustarde posted:

People talk about HA being boring for gameplay but I just don't see it that way. If it were as simple as hitting F and winning every fight then sure - but in a game where you can find yourself in a 1v2,3 or 4 - HA gameplay requires a lot more than just sitting still and mowing down idiots. If anything, using the MAX borders on boring as it is slow, methodical face melting.

Even in 1v1's, if you don't have good aim and get the first shot in, you can easily find yourself outgunned or outskilled. Take nothing for granted as an HA, and be aggressive, making the first shot, rounding corners with the scope up ready to fire, and hit the head. There's nothing boring about killing as many people as fast as you can until you go down imo

It's more the fact that it's also the exact same scenario for every other class, except those 2-3 people you may find yourself up against are probably HAs, so if you're HA it's "gotta be careful and land all headshots etc etc" but if you aren't it's, "even if I do everything right and they do most things wrong I will lose, possibly without getting a single kill"

MAX is WAAAAYYY more fun than HA. Actually having to deal with downsides to being uparmored (slow, have to hump back to a terminal to change weapons), while not particularly interesting, is at least more varied than pressing some combination of 1, 3, and F for all possible engagements no matter what comes up

Minorkos posted:

SOE was Heavyside to their core so by now 95% of the top 10% players all run the exact same loadout with 1 or maybe even a 2nd gun they run sometimes, which is to say it's like PS1. They've proposed twice now to give HAs the sort of give-take that every other class has to deal with but each time they cave because a flood of salt innundates Reddit from people who don't want their crutch kicked out

If HAs are ever brought down a peg or three it will be with zero warning, but realistically it's never actually going to happen. If they start to bother you, spam AI MAXes and cull the herd.

It's irritating and just fanservice at this point. EMP spam is also great for pissing them off until they leave for a different fight or log off

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I got bored at work and pulled some poo poo from DA together yesterday:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rGM0vi_Tp6RFPc-f5AO1ge-B2XEXg21N4zg2o78-EWU/pubhtml

Draw what conclusion you want about whatever you want.

Weapons excluded: Shotguns, Burst Carbines and ARs, Special Edition Weapons (Gold, Black, Platinum, AE).

I think I missed a few though.

Surprises: MKV and Erandi > Cyclone, CME > Terminus

Not Surprises: EM1and NS7 blow

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xae posted:

I got bored at work and pulled some poo poo from DA together yesterday:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rGM0vi_Tp6RFPc-f5AO1ge-B2XEXg21N4zg2o78-EWU/pubhtml

Draw what conclusion you want about whatever you want.

Weapons excluded: Shotguns, Burst Carbines and ARs, Special Edition Weapons (Gold, Black, Platinum, AE).

I think I missed a few though.

Surprises: MKV and Erandi > Cyclone, CME > Terminus

Not Surprises: EM1and NS7 blow

I think some of the outliers on that list are like how the burst variants used to be highly ranked - people put off using them until they're already BR100 and directive grinding so they get good stats simply because they know how to play to the few strengths of a bad gun for 1160 kills. The CME I think may not apply but then again it might? People seem to love/hate that gun so I can see someone using it while leveling.

Also lol, that chart definitely corroborates the usual line that Medic and ARs are the REAL OP class.

You should serve this up to the Reddit to get everybody all riled up again

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The CME isn't a bad gun per-se, it's just the NS-11A but minus everything that makes it great.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

You should serve this up to the Reddit to get everybody all riled up again

Feel free to.

My prediction is that the thread will be two tribes of monkeys flinging poo at each other and talking past each other.

quote:

Also lol, that chart definitely corroborates the usual line that Medic and ARs are the REAL OP class.
Even if ARs are better than LMGs you would never be able to tell because of the Overshield.

You would need to allow people to have LMG medics or AR Heavies and do a breakdown by class. Right now players don't have the data necessary to separate the factors. I'm not even sure you could get data in the current system.

Xae fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 28, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

^ ^ ^ but I've been assured that the HA Overshield is a non-factor??? ^ ^ ^

Yeah, real conclusive data is pretty much impossible, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming in favor of HAs having a pretty sweet deal one way or the other. I think LMGs actually aren't the problem with HA by a wiiiide margin. They're #3 behind overshield and medkit

Xae posted:

Feel free to.

My prediction is that the thread will be two tribes of monkeys flinging poo at each other and talking past each other.

I think I might. It's going to be a slow evening at work (lots of students around but they're grad students + there's a reception with an open bar so I'l likely be able to crunch numbers in peace, and this should be solid entertainment. Want me to credit you or would you rather not be involved in what will doubtless turn into a monster shitshow? It's not like any of this is really news at this point but eh, gently caress it

edit - It warms the cockles of my heart to see that the Reaper DMR and Tross are among the best ARs in the game :3:

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 28, 2015

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The overshield is 100% the reason HAs are so overpowered. Last night I magdumped my serpent and half my spiker into a HA who lolnoped me to the respawn screen.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

^ ^ ^ but I've been assured that the HA Overshield is a non-factor??? ^ ^ ^

Yeah, real conclusive data is pretty much impossible, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming in favor of HAs having a pretty sweet deal one way or the other. I think LMGs actually aren't the problem with HA by a wiiiide margin. They're #3 behind overshield and medkit

I think I might. It's going to be a slow evening at work (lots of students around but they're grad students + there's a reception with an open bar so I'l likely be able to crunch numbers in peace, and this should be solid entertainment. Want me to credit you or would you rather not be involved in what will doubtless turn into a monster shitshow? It's not like any of this is really news at this point but eh, gently caress it

edit - It warms the cockles of my heart to see that the Reaper DMR and Tross are among the best ARs in the game :3:

I don't give a gently caress about credit, all I did was gently caress around with DA's numbers for 20 minutes in Excel.

The list does really show a bias away from the High DPS bullet hoses and towards the more accurate weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xae posted:

I don't give a gently caress about credit, all I did was gently caress around with DA's numbers for 20 minutes in Excel.

The list does really show a bias away from the High DPS bullet hoses and towards the more accurate weapons.

If you ran the same numbers with BR1-30 you'd probably see the opposite. The slower firing guns are very rewarding but also absurdly punishing if you hot dog it, and by BR100 the user has PROBABLY learned to AT LEAST burst fire sometimes.

• Locked thread