Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

klapman posted:

It kinda got overshadowed by the ending but warren beating the living poo poo out of nathan was loving awesome

I couldn't bring myself to allow Warren to do that. Nathan is a severely mentally deranged person and is a victim in all of this. A victim that lures 18 year old women to their deaths but a victim nonetheless. poo poo, is he a victim? Warren beating him up didn't feel like justice.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Still wondering what happens in this episode if Kate's dead.

Torgo2727 posted:

I no longer experience feelings of melancholy and nostalgia from this game after finishing episode 4. :stare:

For me all of the disturbing things are even more disturbing since they're still laced with a lot of nostalgia for me. Jefferson reminded me a lot of some of my professors at art school, which I think kind of blinded me to how suspicious he was to a lot of other people. It wasn't until he actually showed up at the party, where something about his attitude and demeanor made me go, oh gently caress, that I realized something was up with him.

The same thing kind of goes for the Dark Room. I'm in this creepy old haunted barn, and then descend into a spooky bomb shelter, but then I turn the corner and see the very familiar sight of an expensive large-scale photo printer. The Dark Room was loving terrifying to me, and a lot of it was because it was filled with such familiar objects-- photo printers, an iMac, tripods and lights and big cases of fancy photography equipment-- the sorts of things I saw all of the photography students back in undergrad lugging around all the time. Somehow, the fact that the photo of Kate you find on the computer was left open in Adobe Lightroom was even more chilling than it would have been if it were just a jpeg sitting on the desktop.

Less spoilery-- did it seem like finding photo opportunities was a lot harder this time than in the other episodes? I think the only one I found was Dr. Hoo. Maybe it's just because I felt so much less relaxed this episode than I did in the prior ones.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Rincewind posted:

Still wondering what happens in this episode if Kate's dead.

Nothing really. It just comes up a few times that she killed herself.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Georgia Peach posted:

Nothing really. It just comes up a few times that she killed herself.

So is there no scene equivalent to visiting Kate in the hospital?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Rincewind posted:

So is there no scene equivalent to visiting Kate in the hospital?

No, you do get a text from her father giving you details of her funeral service

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Torgo2727 posted:

I couldn't bring myself to allow Warren to do that. Nathan is severely mentally deranged person and is a victim in all of this. A victim that lures 18 year old women to their deaths, but a victim nonetheless. poo poo, is he a victim? Warren beating him up didn't feel like justice.

I felt the same way honestly, but I figured that you could either continue letting his punishments be entirely shame-based, i.e. his father's constant social neglect, or you could have a nerd beat the ever living poo poo out of him and maybe take him out of his own head a bit. Mostly it just felt good to A. have Warren do something, and B. have Nathan's constant posturing shown to be complete bullshit. when Nathan tries to pull the gun and Warren just kicks it out of his loving hand, drat. Also i'm pretty sure Chloe pockets that gun too if you do that, so Chloe might have two guns now. Maybe that'll come up in Episode 5?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
About Warren

Something seemed really off with him. Even before the Nathan beatdown, he seemed rather subdued and almost kind of depressed. Might be because of Chloe texting him to keep out of their business, but it still seemed odd. And yeah, seeing him go nuts on Nathan and then later saying how he was pretty much scared of himself was also pretty disconcerting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PunkBoy posted:

About Warren

Something seemed really off with him. Even before the Nathan beatdown, he seemed rather subdued and almost kind of depressed. Might be because of Chloe texting him to keep out of their business, but it still seemed odd. And yeah, seeing him go nuts on Nathan and then later saying how he was pretty much scared of himself was also pretty disconcerting.

Does he have a different reaction if you haven't been cockblocking him all game?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Does he have a different reaction if you haven't been cockblocking him all game?

He acted that way even though Max said she'll go to the movies with him. Might be nothing. Or maybe something crazy is going to happen with him next! :v:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

PunkBoy posted:

About Warren

Ep. 4 spoilers: Obviously it depends on how you're playing Max, but the I don't know dialogue from the euthanasia scene made me realise that my Max wouldn't hurt a fly. She goes on about how she couldn't let Kate kill herself, and I realised that she wouldn't be able to help Chloe kill herself either. Given that, there's no way she'd be up for beating Nathan half to death, even if he is a monster.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

PunkBoy posted:

He acted that way even though Max said she'll go to the movies with him. Might be nothing. Or maybe something crazy is going to happen with him next! :v:

It turns out he is actually the homeless woman.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Nope. It made more sense when you were. His lines change slightly.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I was hammering the rewind key during the first try of the RV scene. you killed a man *and* his best friend :colbert:. rear end in a top hat.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

klapman posted:

I felt the same way honestly, but I figured that you could either continue letting his punishments be entirely shame-based, i.e. his father's constant social neglect, or you could have a nerd beat the ever living poo poo out of him and maybe take him out of his own head a bit. Mostly it just felt good to A. have Warren do something, and B. have Nathan's constant posturing shown to be complete bullshit. when Nathan tries to pull the gun and Warren just kicks it out of his loving hand, drat. Also i'm pretty sure Chloe pockets that gun too if you do that, so Chloe might have two guns now. Maybe that'll come up in Episode 5?

More significant than Chloe having two guns-- since it's not like she's really in a position to use either of 'em :smith: -- is whether or not Nathan still has a gun-- in the version where you don't let Warren beat him to a pulp, he picks up the gun again as he staggers off.

Actually, let's have the traditional thread straw poll of decisions we made! I agreed to bad timeline Chole's request, broke David's lock (which apparently was a decision?) convinced Daniel to go to the party, stopped Warren from beating up Nathan, made friends with Frank, made friends with Victoria and warned her about Nathan. Am I forgetting anything?

Edit: The RV scene was so good because unlike other scenes where you have to find out a bunch of stuff and try different options through trial and error the game doesn't force you into a failure state or have Max be all like, "No, that's not it-- I should rewind," like it does when, say, you're trying to get Frank's keys, or memorize all the details of the diner to convince Chole you have powers. If you wanted to, you really could just leave after loving murdering Frank or his dog, or stab him in the leg and be all like, 'eh, close enough', or whatever. I'm not sure if they're just building on gameplay concepts they've already introduced, or if it's because we're close enough to the end that they feel confident in introducing major divergences more often, but I like it.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 28, 2015

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Rincewind posted:

More significant than Chloe having two guns-- since it's not like she's really in a position to use either of 'em :smith: -- is whether or not Nathan still has a gun-- in the version where you don't let Warren beat him to a pulp, he picks up the gun again as he staggers off.

Actually, let's have the traditional thread straw poll of decisions we made! I agreed to bad timeline Chole's request, broke David's lock (which apparently was a decision?) convinced Daniel to go to the party, stopped Warren from beating up Nathan, made friends with Frank, made friends with Victoria and warned her about Nathan. Am I forgetting anything?

I broke the lock but then just rewinded it so the lock was back in place. Does something happen if you just leave it?

Also I really liked alt-timeline texts. Victoria is so desperate to be liked and accepted.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Georgia Peach posted:

I broke the lock but then just rewinded it so the lock was back in place. Does something happen if you just leave it?

Also I really liked alt-timeline texts. Victoria is so desperate to be liked and accepted.

I rewound too-- and the game even showed the icon for still having the crowbar for the rest of the scene in Chloe's house-- but the decisions screen at the end still said I broke the lock, so I guess I was just being too clever by half there. :v:

I liked the texts too. Especially Alyssa being the one to throw an object at Max, for a change. :v:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I also rewound after breaking into Nathan's room so there's no evidence the fire extinguisher smashed the lock. Max had a quick line of dialogue about it I think, but the "THIS IS A DECISION" butterfly didn't show up.

On a completely unrelated note, I thought the End of the World party was the best video game depiction of a sensory overloading club since Mass Effect 2. :v:

EDIT: Spoiling just in case. Pretty sure it was in the trailer though.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 28, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

PunkBoy posted:

I also rewound after breaking into Nathan's room so there's no evidence the fire extinguisher smashed the lock. Max had a quick line of dialogue about it I think, but the "THIS IS A DECISION" butterfly didn't show up.

poo poo, i probably should have done that. Although I guess it won't matter anyway since there was no Butterfly and it's not like Nathan wouldn't just try tio kill us anyway at this point.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

On a completely unrelated note, I thought the End of the World party was the best video game depiction of a sensory overloading club since Mass Effect 2. :v:

EDIT: Spoiling just in case. Pretty sure it was in the trailer though.

If you rewind after breaking the lock, he doesn't text you about breaking into his room, if you don't beat him up. Apparently. Also for the lock, you're supposed to memorize 7171 from an earlier episode. it should be in your files.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Is there a timeline where David isn't kicked out of the house? Is he just hanging around somewhere else while you ransack the garage?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Speaking of codes, I remembered a three-digit code from the Big Board scene and just entered it but Max was still "man, I thought that only worked in the movies!" ...you thought using your memory only worked in the movies :confused:

Highlight of the episode: Warren trying to score a threesome.

Macaluso posted:

Episode 3 and Witcher 3 came out like the same day or around the same time. I did this game first since it's a lot quicker. So now now that episode 4 is out after playing a bunch of Witcher 3:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has been instinctively trying to use your Witcher Senses when exploring places in this game :v:

Tried to use Detective Mode once, does that count?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

seravid posted:

Speaking of codes, I remembered a three-digit code from the Big Board scene and just entered it but Max was still "man, I thought that only worked in the movies!" ...you thought using your memory only worked in the movies :confused:

I think that was in relation to solving the puzzle by noticing which keys were worn down, so it makes less sense if you remember that one three-digit number from the list of four digit lock codes.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Basically continued my "Max tries to help everyone and fucks up everything" run,

- Frank is alive and helped Max. He doesn't seem too bothered about selling GHB to a very sexually aggressive / possibly serial rapist teenager, but I want to see his reaction when he realizes he's an accessory to Rachel Amber's murder.

- I kept Nathan from getting his rear end kicked , mostly because Warren is one of Max's only good, non gently caress up, friends and I didn't want to risk getting him suspended or worse. I went through both scenes and it seemed like the least terrible decision.

- warned Victoria about Nathan , which I guess means she's going to be suspicious of the one person that could save her from Jefferson.

- Killed alternate reality Chloe. This was the toughest decision, and probably scares me the most, because I think the two moons / ghost doe thing means that the alternate timelines are still there after Max leaves them.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 28, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

- Killed alternate reality Chloe. This was the toughest decision, and probably scares me the most, because I think the two moons / ghost doe thing means that the alternate timelines are still there after Max leaves them.

That would imply that each time you rewind, you're making a new universe.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Alternate Chloe was slowly and painfully dying, euthanasia was the best possible choice.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Did anyone else defend David? You get a really interesting conversation with him if you do.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you rewind after breaking the lock, he doesn't text you about breaking into his room, if you don't beat him up. Apparently. Also for the lock, you're supposed to memorize 7171 from an earlier episode. it should be in your files.

I was coming straight off replaying episode 3, so yeah, I just happened to remember the number. Presumably there's a way to get it in this episode if you don't though?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Did anyone else defend David? You get a really interesting conversation with him if you do.

I was coming straight off replaying episode 3, so yeah, I just happened to remember the number. Presumably there's a way to get it in this episode if you don't though?

From what I can tell, you had to have looked at it in episode 3 or you have to break the lock unless you look it up online.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Less spoilery-- did it seem like finding photo opportunities was a lot harder this time than in the other episodes? I think the only one I found was Dr. Hoo. Maybe it's just because I felt so much less relaxed this episode than I did in the prior ones.

I can't believe it took me FOUR episodes, but I just learned in Ep.4 that you can see the photos in your journal, and if you haven't taken the photo there's a "sketch hint" of what you're looking for to take a picture of.

I think I got the most photos yet, thanks to that.

Major :downs:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

From what I can tell, you had to have looked at it in episode 3 or you have to break the lock unless you look it up online.

Yeah, I definitely missed the code, looked at the combination screen and Max was all "No time, gotta break it". Didn't realize you could actually find the code, though. I just felt it was refreshing for a point-n-click-adventure hero to look at a combination lock for once and go "Combination!? Aint nobody got time for THAT".

Pretty cool how there were a lot of things in this episode that could be solved through actions in prior episodes (with alternate options!).

Was the PIN one of the four digit numbers on the scrap of paper? At the end of my game, it said 0% found the pin, I just ended up having to use the big SIM unlock code.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 28, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just re-watched Max and Chloe digging up Rachel's body and I want to appreciate Hannah Telle and Ashly Burch knocking it out of the park. Gives me chills even watching it a second time.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Georgia Peach posted:

I felt good about that at first but after seeing how damaged he really was after that I rewinded because drat

My impression was that this was far from the first time that Nathan had been beaten, probably by his father who does verbal bullying as well. That hit a little too close to home. Kid needs help not a stick.

My decisions:

- helped Chloe in her request, if the game didn't state that she was getting worse/dying that probably would have been a different call.
- watched in horror as Chloe killed Frank and his dog, rewound that poo poo right away.
- convinced Victoria to be careful but she was pretty insistent about Nathan not being that bad, she may not be wrong.
- let the drat bird die again, I never even saw it! I even opened the window!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Snuffman posted:

Was the PIN one of the four digit numbers on the scrap of paper? At the end of my game, it said 0% found the pin, I just ended up having to use the big SIM unlock code.

It's his birthday, which is on his Blackwell file.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

What does he say?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

What happens if Jefferson was suspended from participating in the contest? Does he still show up at the party to announce the winner?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

What does he say?

He basically admits he knows horrible things are going on at Blackwell and warns Max to stay out of it for their own safety.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Georgia Peach posted:

What happens if Jefferson was suspended from participating in the contest? Does he still show up at the party to announce the winner?

Yep, he's really nice to Max about it too which made me suspicious of him from the get-go because it was obvious he was lying through his teeth. He acts like he was the bigger person and that he forgives Max for blaming him and says something along the lines of Max just being upset because of Kate. It feels incredibly fake.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Speaking of which, did anyone catch that the girl working the front door for the Vortex Party was hired by Mr. Jefferson? Or at least he helped set her up with the job - that immediately set off suspicions as to how close Jefferson is to the Vortex crowd, and why.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Oh man there's a Life is Strange thread? I've been searching for it a couple times but it never came up.

What's the spoiler policy? Spoil anything relating to the latest ep or anything that has plot details?

Been waiting for ep 4 with bated breath since I got the game at episode 3 and marathoned through the first three episodes. Can't wait to get home and play through it. I'll probably redo it all, since I feel bad about responding to Warren's advances, despite how annoying/off he seems, because "I don't wanna offend anyone :ohdear:" Also, I completely missed every opportunity to help that one girl who always has something lovely happen to her (I somehow forgot about the time travel mechanic in this game about time travel :downs: ). Also, I wanna put Max's name at the junk yard, even though it probably doesn't matter. I wasn't really sure how Max felt about Chloe being back in her life (or vice versa) at the time and it felt intruding/out of character, but in hindsight it seems like the right choice. It's amazing how much time I can spend on changing my mind on choices in this game that makes it absurdly easy to regret your choices.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Re: Jefferson, I found it really odd to announce the winner at a sleazy party. It's official school business, what the hell.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

seravid posted:

Re: Jefferson, I found it really odd to announce the winner at a sleazy party. It's official school business, what the hell.

He looked high or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PunkBoy posted:

Just re-watched Max and Chloe digging up Rachel's body and I want to appreciate Hannah Telle and Ashly Burch knocking it out of the park. Gives me chills even watching it a second time.

Gotta love the writers staying true to Max's inappropriate remarks in the height of an emotional outburst. Upon Chloe digging up the remains of her best friend, "ugh that smell!"

Also Nathan is severely damaged and maybe sympathetic in that way but he ain't no angel, the kid is definitely messed up and a willing agent in what's going on.

• Locked thread