Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

NotALizardman posted:

Fallout 4's dialogue system is even worse than mass effect's. Only 4 choices. And lol if you think bethesda is going to have a "more options" button. Every conversation will be good karma, bad karma, special check, goodbye.
Six options. They're adding the revolutionary options to walk away or shoot your fellow conversant in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jethro posted:

Six options. They're adding the revolutionary options to walk away or shoot your fellow conversant in the head.

Well that's an easy choice

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jethro posted:

Is that a thing?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Is that a thing?

In so far as the conversation ending if you walk your character far enough way (you can still move about while in conversation mode), and that you can just never start a conversation, but pull out a gun and shoot the person in the head, yes. There are not "Walk Away" and "Shoot them in the head" conversation options directly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Huh. So he fights the Good Fight with his voice, on Galaxy News Radio.

This is the most intelligent post I've ever seen.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

In so far as the conversation ending if you walk your character far enough way (you can still move about while in conversation mode), and that you can just never start a conversation, but pull out a gun and shoot the person in the head, yes. There are not "Walk Away" and "Shoot them in the head" conversation options directly.

Wife has fallen Unconscious!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

4 options, oh no.

Nobody ever heard of the "more..." option.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but you have to input the Todd Howard code by pressing all the buttons in a special order to trigger it on the screen.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bholder posted:

4 options, oh no.

Nobody ever heard of the "more..." option.

See, but bethesda isn't going to do that because :jerkbag:

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Jethro posted:

Of course, since this is a Bethesda game, half the NPCs will get right back up again after shooting them in the head.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Leinadi posted:

Of course, since this is a Bethesda game, half the NPCs will get right back up again after shooting them in the head.

Not really anymore, how many essential NPCs did skyrim have?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

A fair amount of them actually

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

JackBadass posted:

Fallout 4 should be more like Van Buren. Canceled.

You mean trademarked by InXile for a future project?

Edit: From what I can tell about a conversation mode in Fallout 4 is... well, there isn't going to be one. Or even a 'Dialogue Wheel' of sorts. It's literally you put your crosshairs over a guy and the dialogue options come up for each button.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 28, 2015

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Not really anymore, how many essential NPCs did skyrim have?

lol

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I want to murder the Brotherhood but now I have to be Wasteland Hitler again to do it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Also half of the Brotherhood will probably be essential anyways. Oh well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

185 new posts since yesterday? Was something announced?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

185 new posts since yesterday? Was something announced?

Yeah, shitposting season is open for business

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

2house2fly posted:

This is an interesting parallel to Fallout 4 in a way; Mass Effect 3 had a great multiplayer mode but the single player story was bad. As the thing I enjoyed about the Mass Effect series was a solid story and fun space opera lore and all that, and I wasn't really looking to the series for a great co-op multiplayer experience, I was disappointed in the game.

The mass effect storied died at 2 because 2 is a gigantic filler episode that has no bearing on the plot. You start out with the reapers on their way, you end up with the reapers on their way, with nothing of value achieved in the meantime.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah, shitposting season is open for business

This is a Bethesda thread in Games, I thought that season never closed.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yes we need awkward zoom in to people's faces while time stops everywhere else, that is the idea behind the true complex dialogue system

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NotALizardman posted:

Fallout 4's dialogue system is even worse than mass effect's. Only 4 choices. And lol if you think bethesda is going to have a "more options" button. Every conversation will be good karma, bad karma, special check, goodbye.

It's true. Check out this terrible dialogue system.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

OwlFancier posted:

The mass effect storied died at 2 because 2 is a gigantic filler episode that has no bearing on the plot. You start out with the reapers on their way, you end up with the reapers on their way, with nothing of value achieved in the meantime.

Yeah but it had fun characters and decent shooting and looked at the seedy underbelly of the setting, it was kind of like Farscape to the first game's sterile Babylon 5.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Thanks for reminding me that the only thing that's worse than complaining about how Bethesda/Fallout was ruined is complaining about how Mass Effect got ruined.

Spoilers: All Mass Effect is poo poo and the first one is the worst.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Yeah but it had fun characters and decent shooting and looked at the seedy underbelly of the setting, it was kind of like Farscape to the first game's sterile Babylon 5.

It didn't have Wrex as a party member. ME1 had Wrex and Garrus.

I want Wrex as a companion in fallout 4. Make it happen Todd.

And he had BETTER be romanceable.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

King Vidiot posted:

Well you have fun doing that, I'll be having fun replaying Fallout 3 + New Vegas with Tale of Two Wastelands and dipping into Skyrim every now and then to get a taste of the new Bethesda engine that'll be (presumably) used for Fallout 4.

You'll think you're having fun.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Bholder posted:

Thanks for reminding me that the only thing that's worse than complaining about how Bethesda/Fallout was ruined is complaining about how Mass Effect got ruined.

Spoilers: All Mass Effect is poo poo and the first one is the worst.

Pretty sure 3 is the worst.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love Mass Effect. The first one blows though

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

JackBadass posted:

You'll think you're having fun.

Isn't the perception of having fun identical to actually having fun?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mass Effect 1 is a bad game that is only redeemed because Wrex is there.

Wrex should be in all games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bethesda are bad game designers

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mass Effect 1 is just like Oblivion in the way that when it came out I played the poo poo out of it and thought "holy poo poo these games are amazing", but when you try it again years later you go "oh jesus this is clunky as gently caress". And there's nothing wrong with that

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

Psychotic Weasel posted:

How about we distract ourselves with the fact that autistic gamers the world over have somehow managed to outstrip some Chinese factory's ability to mass produce cheap plastic crap for impulsive man-children.

http://www.theonion.com/article/chinese-factory-worker-cant-believe-the-poo poo-he-ma-1343

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Funky Valentine posted:

Mass Effect 1 is a bad game that is only redeemed because Wrex is there.

Wrex should be in all games.

ME1 is the only RPG of the bunch. Even Mako is ok excepting for some badly procedural designed levels. At least it had RPG elements to it. ME2 and 3 are action game with thinly veiled RPG lite elements and mostly corridor based level design. Not that they are necessarily bad games, but I prefer ME1 RPG systems to the other ones.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The problem with ME1's inventory and RPG systems are that they aren't actually good at all.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BenRGamer posted:

You mean trademarked by InXile for a future project?

Edit: From what I can tell about a conversation mode in Fallout 4 is... well, there isn't going to be one. Or even a 'Dialogue Wheel' of sorts. It's literally you put your crosshairs over a guy and the dialogue options come up for each button.

I still can't quite wrap my head around the Van Buren thing. Like, I can get if Fargo and Avellone want to do something with some of the ideas they had for that game, but what the hell is with the name? It would make an awful name for a game, and there are only a handful of people who know that 'Van Buren' was the original Fallout 3, and only a fraction of those who actually care.

If it's a post-appoc thing, why wouldn't Fargo fold it into Wasteland 3? The name doesn't have any power to move sales or inspire kickstarter buy ins. I don't know... the more I think about it the more it confuses me. It really legitimately baffles me. :confused:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Van Buren's just the project name. It never got past that and has just been called that for years because it was canceled right at the Beth buy out. I really doubt they'll stick to it if they actually got the chance to jump at the game again, particularly when people are fine with Fallout: New Vegas. poo poo they could just go Fallout New Canaan.

As for why they'd want to do it, well maybe they actually have a personal investment or desire to do it. It could make a lot of money as its another fallout game or it could just closure because it was suppository 95% done before it was canceled. Nothing really to lose for Beth either way if its a good potential spin off alternate universe or not.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 28, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fintilgin posted:

I still can't quite wrap my head around the Van Buren thing. Like, I can get if Fargo and Avellone want to do something with some of the ideas they had for that game, but what the hell is with the name? It would make an awful name for a game, and there are only a handful of people who know that 'Van Buren' was the original Fallout 3, and only a fraction of those who actually care.

If it's a post-appoc thing, why wouldn't Fargo fold it into Wasteland 3? The name doesn't have any power to move sales or inspire kickstarter buy ins. I don't know... the more I think about it the more it confuses me. It really legitimately baffles me. :confused:

Hell more power to him I say. Maybe they make the game and then people will finally stop crying about Bethesda's Fallouts

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

oblomov posted:

ME1 is the only RPG of the bunch. Even Mako is ok excepting for some badly procedural designed levels. At least it had RPG elements to it. ME2 and 3 are action game with thinly veiled RPG lite elements and mostly corridor based level design. Not that they are necessarily bad games, but I prefer ME1 RPG systems to the other ones.

ME1 had more fiddly bits (especially when it came to equipment and skill allocation) but i don't think the game was better for it. having played through it again recently, there's still generally only one "best" equipment loadout or skill allocation depending on what you want your character to do, so the 8000000 different suits of armor or gun attachments are just obscuring which loadout is actually going to be the most effective for your character. storywise the game still boiled conversation options down to SAINT DOUBLE JESUS / MORE . . . / MEGA DICKHOLE / Goodbye and other than three or four scripted sections where you specifically have to make an irreverseable choice, there isn't really that much variation in how the story unfolds.

unless you meant that ME1 included way more randomly generated open terrain that was nearly devoid on content, along with the ability to shoot aliens inside one of three pregenerated interior cells. i guess if that's your measure of being more RPG than the other two then more power to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I hope they bring back the conversation pie from Oblivion. Lets add some skill to these speech options!

PS Bethesda conversation options have been poo poo for a long time.

• Locked thread