Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

very close to being a portlandia sketch. just pop in fred armisen in place of the dude.

whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shadow puppet of a posted:

put a flute into on it and get jeff goldblum in there as a diva artisanal small batch fog craftsman and it would be dead on

lmaoooooooo i fuckin love portlandia

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

qirex posted:

verge score: 8.8 no mentions embedded advertising

:laugh:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/12/windows-7-review/

Microsoft

Windows 7

Pros
•Beautiful new UI
•Speed improvements throughout
•New Windows Media Center

Cons
•Few major changes over Vista
•Internet Explorer
•Somewhat expensive

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's free!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

and none of that 'steep learning curve' that plagued 8

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Windows as a service: 1.49 a moth to remove ads for solitaire
http://www.zdnet.com/article/want-to-remove-the-ads-from-solitaire-in-windows-10-thatll-be-1-49-a-month/

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they also put that dumb bullet point in their yosemite review (8.9)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

quote:

the way that the ads are displayed in Solitaire app isn't overly annoying (it's just a full-screen when you first load the game)

PO PO PO-PO PO-POWER [heads start popping over cubicle walls]

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

they also put that dumb bullet point in their yosemite review (8.9)

crazy what a difference that 0.1 represents

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its free software

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol there are "cracks" for windows 7 solitaire to work on new versions of windows so you don't have to pay

looks legit

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

lol there are "cracks" for windows 7 solitaire to work on new versions of windows so you don't have to pay

looks legit

i can hear the midi playing in my head

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

looks legit

MKL rocks!!!

?

Palch

BACK UP:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

qirex posted:

lmbo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

"i am not a loving suit" -man who runs site that shills for the suitiest of suits

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol @ "built-in apps are great" - the Metro image viewer alone is a catastrophe, horribly slow and inconvenient to use.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

stay safe ribcage bird

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and the speed at which Groove indexes music makes iTunes seem blazing fast.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

lol @ "built-in apps are great" - the Metro image viewer alone is a catastrophe, horribly slow and inconvenient to use.

After all this time, windows picture and fax viewer is still the best way to print pictures from windows.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

wandows requires extensive palching

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

Preview.app on apple operating system x 10.10 yosemite is fantastic as ever

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i don't know if they fixed it in win 10 (lol, no) but they pdf reader is embarrassingly bad. it's some lunix poo poo.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i don't know if they fixed it in win 10 (lol, no) but they pdf reader is embarrassingly bad. it's some lunix poo poo.

In MS world, XPS > PDF. In the real world, pdf support is shite.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
remember how they complained about how the Internet was too heavy for mobile devices but meanwhile thy have like 15mb for the page and all of their trackers to load

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

chrome's pdf reader isn't bad

theultimo posted:

In MS world, XPS > PDF. In the real world, pdf support is shite.
xps is dead, and like every office program has pdf converters, so, no

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

pram posted:

Preview.app on apple operating system x 10.10 yosemite is fantastic as ever

i can wait to open some images and pdfs on el capitan. im sure it will be faster than ever and they will have baked in cool new features nobody has heard about

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

THC posted:

youre an idiot for not posting the "making of the ad" video, where the fart-huffing is turned up to 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8BBOwupcI
literally more time spending on explaining the design process of a single wallpaper image than the entirety of the UX

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

poty posted:

i can wait to open some images and pdfs on el capitan. im sure it will be faster than ever and they will have baked in cool new features nobody has heard about
if windows ever gets a version of quick look equivalent to it running on a G4 macbook in OSX 10.5 thurrott will never stop writing about it

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

chrome's pdf reader isn't bad
xps is dead, and like every office program has pdf converters, so, no

Either Win 10 or Office 2016 comes with a XPS converter printer driver - doesn't seem so dead.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

poty posted:

indeed!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

they just default to launching edge to display pdf's now

the MS reader app was just updated...and it has exactly the same interface, lol they're not even bothering to update it for running in a window

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fame Douglas posted:

Either Win 10 or Office 2016 comes with a XPS converter printer driver - doesn't seem so dead.
it is as dead as silverlight

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Why is MS opening a new store in Manhattan, wan't the Times Square shop enough of an expensive failure?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/locations/ny/new-york/fifth-avenue-/store-1087

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

qirex posted:

The cons of the Win8 review were hilarious then and still are

"difficult to use, no point to apps, awkward to control with the interface of 99% of PC"s, no windows" - 8.8 out of 10

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

MrMoo posted:

MS... an expensive failure

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Cons: its like hammering nails into your balls

Verge Score: 8

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

now would be a good time to slap together a solitaire app for the metro store and sell it ad-free for a one-time purchase of $0.99

you can advertise it in the win10 solitaire app :mmmhmm:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MrMoo posted:

Why is MS opening a new store in Manhattan, wan't the Times Square shop enough of an expensive failure?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/locations/ny/new-york/fifth-avenue-/store-1087

one time i walked into the microsoft store here in austin. because it looked really pathetic from the outside.. completely empty w/ employees just milling around and one playing xbox. lol

their entire store concept is extremely pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

remember how they complained about how the Internet was too heavy for mobile devices but meanwhile thy have like 15mb for the page and all of their trackers to load
they complained that mobile web browsers are just too slow, man, everything would be fine if the lazy loving developers would put in some fuckin effort and optimize their poo poo (then blogs could serve even more ads)

• Locked thread