Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

GEMorris posted:

NC suspension and wheel gap chat:

This is with H&R Sport Springs and Adjustable Konis. The wheel gap is exactly what I want, the ride is firm but not rough at all. I also have the racing beat front and rear sways along with the racing beat end links, so body roll is extremely low to non existent.

I've yet to show up to an autocross so Phone can drive it and pass the miatadamus verdict, but I expect driver skill to be the limiting factor with this setup for a long time to come if I'm behind the wheel.

*Note: wheel gap shown at actual size

:razz:

edit: poo poo this loses it's humor when it's on the next page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GEMorris posted:

NC suspension and wheel gap chat:

This is with H&R Sport Springs and Adjustable Konis. The wheel gap is exactly what I want, the ride is firm but not rough at all. I also have the racing beat front and rear sways along with the racing beat end links, so body roll is extremely low to non existent.

I've yet to show up to an autocross so Phone can drive it and pass the miatadamus verdict, but I expect driver skill to be the limiting factor with this setup for a long time to come if I'm behind the wheel.

Exactly what I'm looking for as far as looks go.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Holy poo poo i forgot about the MS-R. Look that up and clone it as close as possible.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After 5 years away I'm getting another Miata exactly like the one I traded off. Won't make that mistake again. I even still have the snow tires (do they get old?)

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

powderific posted:

After 5 years away I'm getting another Miata exactly like the one I traded off. Won't make that mistake again. I even still have the snow tires (do they get old?)

Yeah, after time rubber gets hard. When I used to work for a tire company, we wouldn't sell any tires older than 10 years(I think). Feel 'em, if the outside isn't super soft in warm air, it's probably not going to do much for you during the winter.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
They can also start dry cracking

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$800 Rusty NA

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/5140434858.html

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
$1000 not totaled NA

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5122214836.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

At least mine has tons of details and junk.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harmburger posted:

Yeah, after time rubber gets hard. When I used to work for a tire company, we wouldn't sell any tires older than 10 years(I think). Feel 'em, if the outside isn't super soft in warm air, it's probably not going to do much for you during the winter.

Hmm, they still feel pretty soft to me but are 8 years old at this point. Maybe I'll give them a bit more thorough examination. What snow tires do people like on the Miata anymore? The ones I had aren't on TireRack anymore. I'd like to find something that's decent in wet/dry conditions too as our weather is all over the place in the winter.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

powderific posted:

Hmm, they still feel pretty soft to me

This doesnt mean much at all. Tires are the last thing you should save money on.
I've seen so many cars with ABS lock the wheels (somehow) because their $35,000 car is riding on used tires.

Meanwhile i blow through about 1 set per year (and a half, maybe). Which i think is pretty reasonable. I think after 2 or 3 years i'd consider throwing tires away i hadnt used yet.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 29, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm selling a Miata AC compressor in the Marketplace: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=14#post448296858

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've got a 1990 Miata and I have some odd questions:

1. Is there a formal name for the piece of metal that holds the hood up? The one for my car is sitting in the trunk. It broke off so I may need to replace it.
2. Can someone tell me/take a picture of where that attaches under the hood? I know if you're standing in front of the car that it's somewhere on the bottom right but I'm not sure where.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's the hood prop rod. P/N for a 90-93 is NA0156650. Miatamecca on eBay has the rod plus the little clips that are probably what broke: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miatamecca-Hood-Prop-Rod-With-Holder-Retainer-90-93-Mazda-Miata-MX5-NA0156650-/370993747831

I would just install hydraulic hood struts because I'm a huge ricer, but only in ways other people will never notice or appreciate. https://www.flyinmiata.com/rspeed-dual-hood-lift-kit.html

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm with you on that. That looks nice.

Before I start ordering parts, I'd like to replace brake pads/rotors and shocks. I might autocross the car but I'm not sure. At the moment, I just like driving it on nice days. Any recommendations on these parts and where to get them?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ionn posted:

The color didn't look horrible, I just thought it was odd with nothing else on the car being that color. The interior is all black.

I'm suddenly a bit unsure of what color my car actually is. I just assumed it was Montego Blue Mica (that's the one it looked the most similar to, given photos I've seen), but maybe it's Twilight Blue? It came with the 5-spoke 15x6" Enkei wheels* that apparently came with the STO/Limited in 1997, and that was Twilight Blue. I just assumed I had bought a "regular car", not some special edition thing. Some of this is confused by the fact that this is a Euro-MX5, not sure if the various editions/colors/years match up (all web sites I find reference north-american stuff). I've seen the color code but never bothered to take note of it, guess I'll have to go and check what it says (M8 or 12K or something else). :downs:

*) Obviously not on car at the moment, those are off to be repainted.

You may be able to run your VIN by Mazda and see what they can tell you about your car. Maybe it's been repainted and was originally supposed to be a different color, etc. You can also take a peek at the factory colors here: http://www.miata.net/gallery/na.html

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This doesnt mean much at all. Tires are the last thing you should save money on.
I've seen so many cars with ABS lock the wheels (somehow) because their $35,000 car is riding on used tires.

Meanwhile i blow through about 1 set per year (and a half, maybe). Which i think is pretty reasonable. I think after 2 or 3 years i'd consider throwing tires away i hadnt used yet.

Yeah, this is how I feel about tires, especially on a Miata. I'm loving my Dunlops, and the grip I get makes me not give a poo poo about how long they may or may not last.

Related, these Kosei rims get dirty, but they do clean up nice with some effort. I used a cleaning wand and brush and it was still a pain in the rear end, but the payoff was worth it since they look like new. I spent more time cleaning the rims than I did washing the rest of the car.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

You may be able to run your VIN by Mazda and see what they can tell you about your car. Maybe it's been repainted and was originally supposed to be a different color, etc. You can also take a peek at the factory colors here: http://www.miata.net/gallery/na.html

Those photos was the first thing I looked a while back, and I just thought my car looked more like the Montego blue one, probably biased by the assumption that I didn't have some limited edition thing. The sticker inside the passenger door says the color code is 12K, which should be Twilight Blue. vindecoderz agrees with that, and also says (among various other abbreviations) "SP-ED" which I assume is "Special Edition", as well as "EXC.BILSTEIN DAMP". When I took them out, nothing on them said "Bilstein", but I guess I'll have a closer look.

So, what about that edition is "special"? It seems pretty regular to me, but I have never been inside any NA Miatas of similar year to know what to expect. And apart from the body color and Enkei wheels, it doesn't seem to have the "distinguishing features" of the 1997 STO. For example, it has black interior, and lacks the headrest speakers, sill plates and rear lip spoiler. Pretty sure the interior is all original, and no tan anywhere. I would guess this is a mostly regular MX-5 with just some of the features of it, possibly some European "not-quite-STO-but-just-slithgly-special" thing.

Repost of an earlier photo of how it looked when I bought it:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ionn posted:

Those photos was the first thing I looked a while back, and I just thought my car looked more like the Montego blue one, probably biased by the assumption that I didn't have some limited edition thing. The sticker inside the passenger door says the color code is 12K, which should be Twilight Blue. vindecoderz agrees with that, and also says (among various other abbreviations) "SP-ED" which I assume is "Special Edition", as well as "EXC.BILSTEIN DAMP". When I took them out, nothing on them said "Bilstein", but I guess I'll have a closer look.

So, what about that edition is "special"? It seems pretty regular to me, but I have never been inside any NA Miatas of similar year to know what to expect. And apart from the body color and Enkei wheels, it doesn't seem to have the "distinguishing features" of the 1997 STO. For example, it has black interior, and lacks the headrest speakers, sill plates and rear lip spoiler. Pretty sure the interior is all original, and no tan anywhere. I would guess this is a mostly regular MX-5 with just some of the features of it, possibly some European "not-quite-STO-but-just-slithgly-special" thing.

Montego looks blue or green or black depending on the light. It's a weird color. Yours definitely looks more blue. EXC. BILSTEIN might mean exclude, explaining why you didn't see them. :) Your wheels seem to match the STO wheels too.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ionn posted:

Here's a photo of my US market '97 STO edition, that I photographed with another Miata for a reason I'll reveal shortly:

The car at a later date with the top down, showing the black & tan interior, which [partially] matches the top:

So as you can see, our cars look alike except for the interior color. There were different packages/editions/etc. for different regions, and AFAIK the STO edition was US only; you apparently have a Euro ("special edition") model with the same exterior color and rims but other differences. I can't explain why that color vinyl top was chosen for yours though.

http://www.miata.net/faq/miatase.html

http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/

I don't see a UK SE with that color & rim combo, so I'd guess a PO picked up those rims at some point.

Related to the earlier discussion about hardtops, here mine is on the car, albeit post the collision at the body shop:

Note the snow tires on steelies with plastic covers. The top survived, the car did not. :(

Finally, here's a shot from that first scene; what's wrong with this picture?

More photos available upon request.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are definitely two or more schools of thought on this subject and likely always will be.

When I buy an ND, assuming Mazda ever offers a RHT from the factory in order to get me to jump off the ledge, I will be changing it at the 100 mile mark and installing a magnetic drain plug. From there I'll change it again at the 500 and 1k mile markers. Each time will be with whatever 5W30 conventional is on sale at Chinamart at that time. PYB, Quaker State, Mobil 5000, whatever. At the 1k change I will run that conventional fill until I hit 5k. From 5k onwards I will run Redline 0W30 at 6-8k mile intervals or once a year, whichever comes first.

Regardless of warranty I refuse to run a 20 weight in a sports car that will see 7k rpms multiple times a day. CAFE isn't going to get me to run something in the motor that will eventually shear to a 10 weight.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I just got tricked pretty good near the end of doing a timing belt job. I had everything back together and working (miraculously), but I had this nasty leak right where the water inlet pipe meets the radiator hose. I figure it's the hose so I order a new one, put it in, and no go. I try replacing the squeeze clamp with a screw one, thinking that it must not be tight enough, and it makes no difference either. I take everything off and sand more crud/rust off the pipe, thinking it must be not mating properly, and still nothing.

Turns out I had I actually hosed up seating the o-ring for the bypass pipe that's right above it, and the water was sliding down to the exact spot where one might think the hose was at fault. Everything worked perfectly after I replaced it. :doh:

This job took me exactly one whole month of gently caress-ups and cursing. Feels good to be done and driving this thing once again.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

nothing but good things to say about izoomgraphics.

destructo fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 31, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/pts/5139998008.html

Is this worth the price that he's asking for a hard top in that condition?

edit: Just found this instead. Same thing but looks practically new.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/pts/5139998008.html

Is this worth the price that he's asking for a hard top in that condition?

edit: Just found this instead. Same thing but looks practically new.

I'm a little concerned by that second photo; it appears to show him lifting up the front of the hardtop and resting all the weight on those rear latch things that go over the Frankenstein bolts. :stare:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Hikaki posted:

I just got tricked pretty good near the end of doing a timing belt job.

We got to the end. Buttoned everything up, and it ran fantastically. Then it clanked and didn't. Turns out the cam sprocket wasn't seated fully on the dowel that lines it up. Sheared the dowel off so bad we couldn't get it out of the cam. I had to go buy a 1992 (Ran/Drove for $300 bux) with huge amounts of frame rust to steal parts for my 1993.

Mechanical bits are nice though. Donor cars are pretty nice to have. Multiplying hulks in your driveway aren't so nice.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 31, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Do any of y'all have a scan or a link to the oil change/maintenance intervals for an NC1? My car didn't come with a manual, so I'm kinda flying blind wrt maintenance intervals.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Laranzu posted:

We got to the end. Buttoned everything up, and it ran fantastically. Then it clanked and didn't. Turns out the cam sprocket wasn't seated fully on the dowel that lines it up. Sheared the dowel off so bad we couldn't get it out of the cam. I had to go buy a 1992 (Ran/Drove for $300 bux) with huge amounts of frame rust to steal parts for my 1993.

Mechanical bits are nice though. Donor cars are pretty nice to have. Multiplying hulks in your driveway aren't so nice.

You have to stack the miata bodies up into a miatahenge.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

BloodBag posted:

Do any of y'all have a scan or a link to the oil change/maintenance intervals for an NC1? My car didn't come with a manual, so I'm kinda flying blind wrt maintenance intervals.

Here's a manual for the 2007 - https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2007_MX5_OM.pdf

This page has a manual for almost every year, and a bunch of handy links too - http://www.miata.net/faq/

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

you apparently have a Euro ("special edition") model with the same exterior color and rims but other differences. I can't explain why that color vinyl top was chosen for yours though.

I'll just refer to mine as being the "Mom says I'm Special Edition :downs:".

Atomizer posted:

I don't see a UK SE with that color & rim combo, so I'd guess a PO picked up those rims at some point.

Apart from generic aftermarket floor mats, stereo, and a badly attached shifter knob, there were no signs of anything not being stock on that car. The PO who had it the longest (about 2000-2010) was a real estate agent in a fancy suburb of Stockholm, and seemed to just have had it serviced very regularly and nothing else. I don't think anyone has got those wheels later, and they would probably be very hard to find here, so it seems probable they're what came with the car new. While it is possible the top had been replaced at some point, it did look like it could be 18 years old albeit decently well cared for.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Laranzu posted:

Good god. I was pretty surprised to learn that the dowel is the only thing really mating the cam and sprocket though. That and the woodruff key for the crank.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is it worth putting a '99 head/intake on a BP NA? I have a lead on a cheap one but I don't know if want to even bother with it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Most of the gains on the NBs were from the heads. If you're going to run the OEM computer, I'd doubt it was worth it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Turns out our parts car is/was a 1992 Black special edition thing with the tan interior and wooden shift knobs and stuff. Too bad most of the interior is covered in cigarette ash and the leather is cracked. I have no idea how to price the fancy parts now =/

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 2, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

Is it worth putting a '99 head/intake on a BP NA? I have a lead on a cheap one but I don't know if want to even bother with it.

Are the '99s VVT or did that come later?

The heads are still better but as stated, without the computer or a standalone you're probably not going to see any gains.

VVT on an NA kicks all kinds of rear end, though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I just had my first light go out on an NA. What do you guys replace them with? I think I had heard HELLA E codes or something?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just picked up an 04 MSM just like one I traded off five years ago and I'm pretty stoked, but I have a weird ride quality issue that I definitely don't remember from my last one. Basically, when I go over bumps (mostly at 20-45 mph so far, haven't gotten it on the interstate yet), it feels like there's a fast echo to the bump, or a shudder, that I mostly feel in the seat/seatback. It's like I'm getting low frequency vibration right in the kidneys after every bump. The feeling is really weird and actually makes me feel nauseous of all things.

The car only has 55k miles on it so I thought the OE shocks should still be fine and it seems like it'd be bouncier if that was the issue. I feel like it probably needs an alignment, but I don't know if that'd cause this kind of thing. Any ideas?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are the '99s VVT or did that come later?

The heads are still better but as stated, without the computer or a standalone you're probably not going to see any gains.

VVT on an NA kicks all kinds of rear end, though.

VVT is 01-05, It makes marginially more power but the 99-00 head is more desirable. I think you can even disable the VICS and use the stock NA computer with no issues*. Find someone to do porting for you, give it some stiff valve springs and slap it on.

*its never "no issues", making the fuel rail work might be a PITA

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'm curious to know why the 99-00 head is more desireable.

Fuel rail works fine on the 99s in an NA. You need a 99 fuel rail and an upside down fuel pressure regulator from a NA8 to put an NB head in an NA.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm just spewing secondhand anecdotes. Any NB head is going to make your NA better. The early NB head is just easier to use because there isnt really a great way of making the VVT work right unless you have an expensive ecu and tune, or a RPM switch that doesnt work like OEM at all.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

powderific posted:

Just picked up an 04 MSM just like one I traded off five years ago and I'm pretty stoked, but I have a weird ride quality issue that I definitely don't remember from my last one. Basically, when I go over bumps (mostly at 20-45 mph so far, haven't gotten it on the interstate yet), it feels like there's a fast echo to the bump, or a shudder, that I mostly feel in the seat/seatback. It's like I'm getting low frequency vibration right in the kidneys after every bump. The feeling is really weird and actually makes me feel nauseous of all things.

The car only has 55k miles on it so I thought the OE shocks should still be fine and it seems like it'd be bouncier if that was the issue. I feel like it probably needs an alignment, but I don't know if that'd cause this kind of thing. Any ideas?

My car knowledge is pretty limited, but the way you describe that does sound like a shock, right? Like it's contracting correctly, but having a hard time expanding again.

Okay, I thought of something. Jack the car up in back, put on jackstands. Get a car jack (not the Miata screw jack, like a regular one where it releases pretty quickly), jack one of the rear tires up to what would be regular ride height if it weren't in the air, and then release pressure on the jack all at once. The wheel should drop smoothly. If it's jerky, I think that's your problem.

That said, I'm still new to cars. Someone check me on this.