Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
furutaka :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Unconfirmed sources says the Tirpitz has TORPEDOES.
1x4 on each side, 6km range, 64kts

Guns:
26s reload
36s for 180° (wtf !)
820m/s muzzle velocity(quite fase apparently)
21km range

edit: found something more reliable
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/23447-german-ship-stats/

quote:

Hermelin tier 1 cruiser

Dresden tier 2 cruiser

Bismarck tier 8 battleship

Tirpitz tier 8 battleship (Tirps has 2x 4 553mm torpedoes with 64 knots and 6 km max range)

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

OSad posted:

About the flags again, since I feel I haven't made myself totally clear: there are ten different flags in the game. By completing certain in-game achievements, you will, once a day, get ten units of a flag that is designated to that specific achievement.

For example; say that, in my ship (doesn't matter which), I ram another ship to death (also doesn't matter what), and survive said ramming. That awards me the Die-Hard achievement, and at the end of the game, I will receive 10 "Hotel Yankee" flags, which increase ramming damage to enemies while also reducing the effects of said ram on my ship.

Now that I have those ten Hotel Yankee flags, I cannot get them again for the day, even if I happen to get another Die-Hard achievement. I must wait until the daily doubles reset, which is at either 7:00 or 7:30 EST. After that, once I see that the x1.5's are back on my ship thumbnails, I am free to go ram some hapless fool again for another 10 Hotel Yankee flags. NOTE, this doesn't mean I cannot get any more flags for the day, period, it just means I've gotten my Hotel Yankee flags for the day. You can also get multiple sets of flags per game, so I could, for example, kill a destroyer with my battleship, and within ten seconds, ram another ship to death. This would award me both Die-Hard and Double Strike, netting me both ten units of Sierra Mike and ten units of Hotel Yankee.

You can check each individual flag requirement by going to Exterior in your docks, then go to the Signals tab, and hover over the different flags to see what achievement they require. There is one exception to the amount of flags you get in this game, and that is the Zulu flag: you can only get one flag a day as opposed to ten, probably because it's a 20% silver multiplier and wherein lies where the true grind of this game is: the silver credits.

Then what I'm saying is correct, I'm getting screwed somehow. I played an hour after the reset and earned confederate. I didn't get the flags. This is the second time this has happened to me this week. Perhaps it's a true "24 hours" from when you earned it last?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Boy, I do love carrier players who are completely oblivious to the enemy torpedo bombers going for half your team. :suicide:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Top Sekrit Wargaming.net Leak Incoming

Agent Grenouille reports:

Ladies and gentlemen I give you a selection of ships which will totally, most definitely (who are we kidding of course they won't) be in the French tree.

First up is the Tier II armoured cruiser Jeanne d'Arc, built in Toulon in 1900 and later used as a training ship for officer candidates:

Next is the Tier III battleship Provence, first in a class of three ships, built in 1913 and armed with 10 13.3" guns in five fully revolving turrets:

Mad at the Myogi and its rear-oriented armament? Have I got a ship for you! Completed in 1937 the Dunkerque placed all of its main armament (8x 13" guns) in two forward-facing quadruple turrets and was considered one of the most modern battleships in the world. It also featured a significant secondary armament and was reasonably nimble for a ship of its size so expect to see it at tier V/VI.

Historical note: After receiving damage in a skirmish with the British navy following the fall of France to the Nazis in 1940 it returned to Toulon for repairs but sadly never left again as it was scuttled along with most of the French naval vessels in 1942. This was done to prevent Germany, which had just dissolved Vichy France, from acquiring the ships of the Mediterranean fleet for its use.

And finally for you flattop lovers there's the Béarn which was commissioned in 1927 and was the only pre-war French aircraft carrier. She served as an experimental ship prior to World War II and then sat out the war in port at the island of Martinique in the Caribbean Sea. After the war ended she continued to serve up until decommissioning in 1967. Her aircraft complement as designed was 40 planes. Expect to see her at Tier IV. No other aircraft carriers were built by the French Navy until after World War II so who knows what Wargaming will do to fill out the line.

Maybe one of them will be this nifty beast? If so it'll have to be Tier 10+++ :v:

That would be the Charles de Gaulle, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and one of the very few non-US carriers which launch aircraft the way God intended which is to say by means of catapult and not vertically (not a carrier) or by ski jump (lol Britain and China).

If you're curious about where all of these photos came from they were taken at the Musee national de la Marine in Toulon, France. I apologize for the miserable quality of the photos but the lighting was loving awful and most of the models were in glass cases to keep children and not-so-children from breaking off pieces from them.

Museum web site: http://www.musee-marine.fr/toulon

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 28, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

Boy, I do love carrier players who are completely oblivious to the enemy torpedo bombers going for half your team. :suicide:
Those are the best. I just had one round where our Independence deigned to send his fighters near our ships only after we had already lost 3 battleships to torpedo bombers. And then the fighters circled the last BB we had without actually attacking the next wave of bombers. :v:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 28, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Arishtat posted:

That would be the Charles de Gaulle, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and one of the very few non-US carriers which launch aircraft the way God intended which is to say by means of catapult and not vertically (not a carrier) or by ski jump (lol Britain and China).

Mother Russia thinks you have bad opinions about things :colbert:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Michaellaneous posted:

Looks like it did hid a wall and thus has a warped bow.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

yaay posted:

I feel your pain. I only just managed to get out of that rustbucket, spending all of my free XP in the process. It still was a painful grind.

I've had half the number of matches with the Omaha and Minekaze, but still almost as many total kills and about as much total damage caused :suicide:

Edit: Oh god, the Aoba is so good :feelsgood:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 28, 2015

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Perestroika posted:

Edit: Oh god, the Aoba is so good :feelsgood:

Just 20k more to get out of the furataka. then I'll scuttle it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Krogort posted:

1x4 on each side, 6km range, 64kts

Guns:
26s reload
36s for 180° (wtf !)
820m/s muzzle velocity(quite fase apparently)
21km range
It sounds a bit battlecruiser-y. Slightly faster reload and torps are interesting, but god drat is it out gunned at tier 8. 8x 380mm guns vs 10x 410mm on the Nagato and 9x 406mm on the NC. Also, its AA is pretty anemic - I think the NC has more 40mm AA guns that the Tirpitz has 20mm guns.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
I'm super excited about the Scharnhorst 3x3 11" mains and 2x3 torpedoes.

If anyone wants to sperg out with me about the German line
ONI-204 is a great starting point.

http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/ONI/ONI-204/index.html

VVV I've seen that ship before somewhere. Oh yeah!

Gegil fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 28, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Michaellaneous posted:

Mother Russia is blatantly wrong and bad.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Interesting:

quote:

It's time to grab your favorite tier IV cruiser and head out to battle. Your mission? Rack up as much base XP in a single game as possible for a chance to win Doubloons and Premium time!

Compeition Starts: Wednesday, July 29, 17:00 PT (20:00 ET)
Competition Ends: Sunday, August 2, 17:00 PT (20:00 ET)

Prizes:

1st Place: 3,000 Doubloons and one week of Premium time
2nd Place: 2,000 Doubloons and one week of Premium time
3rd Place: 1,000 Doubloons and one week of Premium time
4th-50th Place: 500 Doubloons

Rules:

Winners will be decided by the most base XP earned in a single battle
To enter, you must use a tier IV cruiser (Kuma or Phoenix)
Only Random Battles (PvP matches) will be counted
There's no need to submit screenshots, entry is automatic if you're playing a tier IV cruiser!
Note: Battles must end by 17:00 on August 2. Battles that end after 17:00 will not be counted.
Winners will be announced by Thursday, August 6
I might have to rebuy a Phoenix.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

MREBoy posted:

If you are using Aslains, be aware it's slightly outdated in that it installs into res_mods/0.4.0 instead of the current 0.4.0.4, and he can't update it for another week or two because he's in Russian Georgia, and he apparently has carrier pigeons and tin cans for Internet access. So if you install his stuff, you will have to change paths.xml and the folder in res_mods for it to work correctly.

I just reinstalled it and it works fine?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

cheese posted:

It sounds a bit battlecruiser-y. Slightly faster reload and torps are interesting, but god drat is it out gunned at tier 8. 8x 380mm guns vs 10x 410mm on the Nagato and 9x 406mm on the NC. Also, its AA is pretty anemic - I think the NC has more 40mm AA guns that the Tirpitz has 20mm guns.

Wargaming might disregard it, but on both Bismarck and Tirpitz those 3.7 cm guns are probably the SK C/30. That's a semiautomatic gun that fires 30 rounds per minute (the Bofors fires 120).
The 2 cm guns don't fire as fast as the Oerlikon on the US ships either, but it's not as egregious as the semiautomatic guns.
Even if the 3.7 cm guns don't get really low damage output, that's a pretty weak AA setup. Even Japanese battleships have a lot of 25 mm guns with 3 km range.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

MREBoy posted:

Q: I keep hearing people raving about the St. Louis ? Whats up with that ?

A: The St. Louis is the USN Tier 3 cruiser, and it is literally an armored truck with guns... lots of guns.

As someone who doesn't play the game, and just reads the thread once in a while out of curiousity, it still blows my mind that a 1905 1st Class Protected Cruiser is an amazing ship in what is ostensibly a game of WW2 Warships. :v:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Krogort posted:

:boom: I have a very good feeling about this!

Artificer posted:

Holy poo poo I just cannot get the Wickes to work.

Get the Situational Awareness skill (which you probably already have), and find a target that looks relatively isolated that's not a fast, healthy cruiser. Stand at the extreme range of your guns and open fire on him, once (double-click if you want to open up with all of your guns). You will probably be spotted doing this. See if he turns his guns towards you: if he does, then don't open fire, wait until you're concealed again, and wait for him to shift his guns somewhere else. Then open fire again. Either way, if you are getting shot and feel threatened, there's nothing wrong with turning tail, getting out of range and re-engaging later.

You won't get very many kills this way, but it's a good hit-and-run practice routine for US destroyers, and if you set something on fire twice and pop its repair, then it's certainly worth it for the rest of your team. When you get better at it, you can start thinking about following the fleet, thunderdoming with destroyers, taking on cruisers in a pack or making a break for carriers. Like, forget about actively using your torpedoes: like someone else has said, they're weapons of opportunity on US destroyers, and you usually don't make the opportunity, you wait for it to come you.

If it helps, the situation is better on the Clemson, where it gets double the amount of guns on its double turrets.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As someone who doesn't play the game, and just reads the thread once in a while out of curiousity, it still blows my mind that a 1905 1st Class Protected Cruiser is an amazing ship in what is ostensibly a game of WW2 Warships. :v:

Technically many of the early ships are too old for WW2. There's a Tier 2 premium IJN battleship that's the Mikasa.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah I know, but like its supposed to be WW2 ships is what you thinking going in and hey, look at all these leftovers from the Great War! I originally thought everyone was talking about the late 30s Light Cruiser USS St. Louis.

I hope War Thunder Ships does the same thing, tbh.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I can never seem to get Confederate. Even when I do well, it tends to be a lot of damage on a few ships, or I damaged a bunch of ships but not nearly enough.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Gegil posted:

I'm super excited about the Scharnhorst 3x3 11" mains and 2x3 torpedoes.

If anyone wants to sperg out with me about the German line

the official forums would be glad to sperg out with you about the german line

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Aw, yiss, got myself a pubbie crying aimbot.

The shot in question that triggered him (though I totally did get the distance wrong):

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Completely clutch game win, but I did it. :unsmith:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

yaay posted:

There there my friend. Just keep grinding and the pain will be over. I finished mine this afternoon with a nice win and 'Sell' never looked so good or made me so happy.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Magni posted:

Aw, yiss, got myself a pubbie crying aimbot.

The shot in question that triggered him (though I totally did get the distance wrong):

It's literally impossible to hit a ship at 9.5km so I hope you enjoy the ban, hacker. :colbert:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So todays episode of "Teamwork is OP" features a guest starring appearance by RNGesus.

Me, Demon and Durgat (ingame, IDK what his name is here) are driving a Wyoming, Omaha and Myogi respectively. We get Two Brothers with the 4 cap points. We head out east to A and start beating up things. I barely avoid eating a full Omaha torp dump because they fizzle out at about 500 yards from me... which was good because I was scraping an island at the time :v:. An enemy Omaha and two DDs run the channel and go after our Ryujo, who was actually being useful, so we turn around and head back. Durgat had held back, so he gets into a duck-n-weave knife fight with all of them. The Omaha and one DD gets blasted, but the other DD is being a PITA. At this point, Durgan is at about quarter health and on fire. I've got the DD inside my range, so I go :rolldice: and fire. AP hit on the DD at 11.8km :eyepop:. Since it wasn't HE it only eats a bit of HP. Reload, fire again. AP hit at 10.3km for his last 311 HP. I have to wonder about that shot because I took these screenshots from the replay, and as you can see it looks more like a miss that may have scraped the flagstaff on the stern. All I can think of is he was in a hard turn and that swung his stern right where the shell was going :shrug: We went on to win by points.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Do the guns on the US DDs really get any better in the later tiers? I know the tier X gets three twin gun turrets but other than that just about every ship gets the 5/38s. 5 stock, or 4 with better AA.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I just had a 5 kill, 92k damage, Confederate achievement game in the Furutaka where I prevented 3 battleships from capping our base. I'm almost tempted to say I'm starting to like this ship (please send help).

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Do the guns on the US DDs really get any better in the later tiers? I know the tier X gets three twin gun turrets but other than that just about every ship gets the 5/38s. 5 stock, or 4 with better AA.

Benson and Fletcher get them in mounts that swing around 180 degrees in like 5 seconds.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

How cute, a ship whose deck pays homage to Donald Duck and has a bill.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

I ended up trading deaths with the Nagato, and our nagato lost a long range duel with a Cleveland... But our pubbies snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...
Oh well, 144k to Iowa so back to the NC :fap:

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 28, 2015

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

demonR6 posted:

How cute, a ship whose deck pays homage to Donald Duck and has a bill.

Its next port of call is the Jersey Shore, where it will be painted orange and star in a reality TV series.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

MREBoy posted:

So todays episode of "Teamwork is OP" features a guest starring appearance by RNGesus.

Me, Demon and Durgat (ingame, IDK what his name is here) are driving a Wyoming, Omaha and Myogi respectively. We get Two Brothers with the 4 cap points. We head out east to A and start beating up things. I barely avoid eating a full Omaha torp dump because they fizzle out at about 500 yards from me... which was good because I was scraping an island at the time :v:. An enemy Omaha and two DDs run the channel and go after our Ryujo, who was actually being useful, so we turn around and head back. Durgat had held back, so he gets into a duck-n-weave knife fight with all of them. The Omaha and one DD gets blasted, but the other DD is being a PITA. At this point, Durgan is at about quarter health and on fire. I've got the DD inside my range, so I go :rolldice: and fire. AP hit on the DD at 11.8km :eyepop:. Since it wasn't HE it only eats a bit of HP. Reload, fire again. AP hit at 10.3km for his last 311 HP. I have to wonder about that shot because I took these screenshots from the replay, and as you can see it looks more like a miss that may have scraped the flagstaff on the stern. All I can think of is he was in a hard turn and that swung his stern right where the shell was going :shrug: We went on to win by points.

<- Durgat

I remember that dude being on fire just before he died, maybe my secondary guns got him at the same time you clipped his propeller.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Its frustrating as hell having a carrier park some fighters near my destroyer, so I'm constantly spotted.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

CitizenKain posted:

Its frustrating as hell having a carrier

I agree.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

I don't have 50 dollars laying around to spend on a loving internet ship, Wargaming! drat you! :argh:

Edit: ⇩ The Izumo.

OSad fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 28, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

OSad posted:

I don't have 50 dollars laying around to spend on a loving internet ship, Wargaming! drat you! :argh:

Which boat is that?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I decided to do some vital pursuit of knowledge to improve my boating skills. By learning the horrible secrets behind poi.

"Girls who possess the souls of warships from years past," This is so terrible. :roflolmao:
Seriously this is kinda poo poo. But at least it's so bad it's entertaining, some of the time. Probably not worth suffering through all of it though.

In my defense I tried to do some boating earlier this evening but we had a blackout for an hour and didn't feel like booting up the computer with the game on again.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
After seeing some more FOG players today, im actually curious how bad it gets in their little fleet, watching an Izumo get ruined by a New York was entertaining as hell.