Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You may do absolutely anything you want over any form of radio. You may also then suffer the legal consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

cool

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i suppose my next question is whether anyone has broadcast their penis over sstv before or if im going to set a world record or something

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
so you're saying that hamming it up is discouraged?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
ok what if i operated a pirate top 40 ham radio station

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

ok what if i operated a pirate top 40 ham radio station

FCC direction finding, loss of license if any, big fine.

edit: i mean realistically it might take a while to get caught especially if you're mobile and don't tx 24/7. but if you just set up a station in your house and run it all day some old guy will come knocking pretty quick. he'll have notified the FCC too because old guys live for that poo poo, gotta be the HOA of the air

(a pirate station on ham bands would be fun for a while tho if you did better than top 40)

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 29, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
protip that happens every single day of the year. about 6850 to 7000 is the pirate band (availability of surplus ham transmitters easily tuned down a few kilohertz). you can hear the rolling stones and poo poo if you catch the stuff. dudes usually only go on for a half hour to hour or so though.

http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php?board=3.0

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i saw in a movie (johnny mnemonic maybe?) that has ham radio scramblers that would make me hard to find, a ham radio bandit, if you will. for the purposes of staying on the air, is that something i should pursue while playing my Best Of the gin blossoms and meat puppets?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Awia posted:

i suppose my next question is whether anyone has broadcast their penis over sstv before or if im going to set a world record or something

not their penis as there are very few gay hams. the eastern europeans have you handily beat on the nudity precedent tho

:nws: http://www.dj3jd.eu/home/digibild/sstv3.jpg :nws:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

nothing if i'm on the CB

most likely you would get no response if you called that on a ham band

again, remember, ham radio is not the internet and trolling on it is exceeeeeeedingly stupid because a: nobody will bite and b: if they track you down it is a five digit fine and they pull your license if you have one

Fined for what?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
failure to ID most likely. tahts what they always attach the money to

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
well broadcast stations have the same requirement and they manage to ID every 10 mins just fine

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

what happens if you say "breaker breaker one niner whats your 20, over"

It just so happens my very drunk buddy did exactly that with my ht in the car the other night at ~2am, multiple HAMs responded and tried to kindly inform us what he was doing was frowned upon. Pretty disappointed nobody got mad.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

semon demon posted:

It just so happens my very drunk buddy did exactly that with my ht in the car the other night at ~2am, multiple HAMs responded and tried to kindly inform us what he was doing was frowned upon. Pretty disappointed nobody got mad.

were you on like a repeater or something lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

semon demon posted:

lmao

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

Sniep posted:

were you on like a repeater or something lol

Yeah local 2m club repeater

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

semon demon posted:

Yeah local 2m club repeater

ouch embarrassing

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

Oh well, wasnt me. Not like they'll be able to identify my radio if/when I bother to get a license and start actually transmitting :ssh:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

semon demon posted:

Oh well, wasnt me. Not like they'll be able to identify my radio if/when I bother to get a license and start actually transmitting :ssh:

lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
did you like, reflash the unique radio UUID afterwards that gets transmitted on PTT ?

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i got this icom r75 in march for helping clean out a deceased man's house. it worked at first and then stopped producing audio shortly afterwards. i opened it up and looked at the circuit boards and didn't see anything wrong, so i gave up and resigned myself to a complicated testing procedure, or to paying someone to repair it

today i looked at the circuit diagram and realized that the DSP unit, a separate PCB, was in the audio path.

so i opened it up. and flipped it over this time. and

:cripes:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

semon demon posted:

you're doooooomed http://kb9mwr.blogspot.com/2008/04/transmitter-fingerprinting.html

jk its not widespread. neat hack tho

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i left a laptop running with the r75 tuned to the jt65 freq on 40m

jt65 is pretty fuckin cool

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
yeah I wanna try that and psk31 real bad. the reddit crew seems to have a huge boner for jt65 though.

did you see there's a big bug in windows w/ clipping on a bunch of USB rigs and signalink? big post about it made last night over there.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i'm a big fan of the slow speed super high error correction codecs, especially if the AF sounds cool.
but then i don't really care about DX contests and talking around the globe if literally the planets align just right, it's more interesting to figure out how to make a more reasonable distance super reliable

of course the CQ CONTEST 59 THANK YOU 73 crew aren't gonna be sitting for 2 minutes while their CQ transmits so you're not gonna get that noise with JT65 or Olivia

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i heard part of a qso and sounds like the yaesu fusion repeater is up. we've been working off of an old fire dept repeater that didnt even ID. lol. but the antenna is Really High Up on a "mountain" fire tower so its all good.

it appears the sheriffs office has a group ID on the statewide p25. heard a guy come in digital the other day. I'm not sold on p25, he was having problems. and I just don't see how having one analog fm repeater on that same tower we're on is worse than this clunky and super expensive p25 linked system. idk.

so the repeater ID'd and the weird hum is still there. wonder what that's about.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

i heard part of a qso and sounds like the yaesu fusion repeater is up. we've been working off of an old fire dept repeater that didnt even ID. lol. but the antenna is Really High Up on a "mountain" fire tower so its all good.

it appears the sheriffs office has a group ID on the statewide p25. heard a guy come in digital the other day. I'm not sold on p25, he was having problems. and I just don't see how having one analog fm repeater on that same tower we're on is worse than this clunky and super expensive p25 linked system. idk.

so the repeater ID'd and the weird hum is still there. wonder what that's about.

post a vine or youtube or somethin

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

thanks, 'I only want my ht for emergencies now' coworker!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh hell yeah!

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
this cute UHF antenna showed up in the mail

not hard to see why it's so broad band, the center conductor is massive

but the mounting bracket i ordered with it is all wrong, the hole in the bottom of the pipe section is barely large enough for a BNC, let alone the 20mm needed for an N connector.

gonna have to either wait for the mechanic at work to get back so i can ask what tools are appropriate (mill or cone drill) or the carbide hole saw set and conical drill set i ordered from china to get here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nice. i think i'm pickig up a couple of discones for vhf+ scanning - the tram 1410. think i'm going to order two and just cut all the elements in half on one, so it's more of a uhf/800 'cone

generic wideband preamps in front of both, rg6 quad down to the shack

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
my "royale discone" is pretty broken, made a decent christmas tree at least

thinking about ordering the new Icom discone for 100-3000 ish coverage, i like the idea of having my own sigint outpost in here
eham reviews say the icom AH-8000 is built like a big pointy brick

but if you're even near a city you're gonna struggle with wideband preamps and a broad band antenna unless you have a drat fine receiver to plug it into

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well i'm planning to hang 4 way distribution boxes off the ends of the runs but yeah i'm pretty aware of the intermod/overload issues

might just run preamp on the uhf+ one and leave the other one as is

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

longview posted:

but the mounting bracket i ordered with it is all wrong, the hole in the bottom of the pipe section is barely large enough for a BNC, let alone the 20mm needed for an N connector.

gonna have to either wait for the mechanic at work to get back so i can ask what tools are appropriate (mill or cone drill) or the carbide hole saw set and conical drill set i ordered from china to get here

that looks really neat

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

spankmeister posted:

that looks really neat

yeah it's just a GP, but it just looks to cool not to buy.
it'd make a very nice UHF scanner antenna since it's so broad band but i'm gonna use it as my DV repeater transmit antenna (still high gain omni on receive though)

Jonny 290 posted:

well i'm planning to hang 4 way distribution boxes off the ends of the runs but yeah i'm pretty aware of the intermod/overload issues

might just run preamp on the uhf+ one and leave the other one as is

yeah i really struggled with my SDR dongle and the PSA4-5043+ preamp, too much variation between the noise floor between VHF/UHF for example so i couldn't turn up the gain properly on quiet bands

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

yeah I wanna try that and psk31 real bad. the reddit crew seems to have a huge boner for jt65 though.

it's because JT65 removes any possibility of actually having to talk with people other than "THANKS" or "73" :v:

e: jt9 is pretty cool too

it's basically just really, REALLY narrow 2-tone FSK; it has much smaller bandwidth and was designed for general HF use (unlike JT65, which was designed for EME). it can be decoded much quieter, and if you set up your radio and WSJT-X right, you can decode the JT65 and JT9 parts of the band simultaneously.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 29, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jt's ok if you want paper (awards). its super boring if you want to chat and you will be developing a coffee habit

if i ever go that way i want to gently caress with FSK441, minutes 0-15 you just blast your CQ out continuously several times a second with high power on vhf and hope that enough of it bounces off an ionized meteor trail that somebody copied it. then you listen minutes 16-30 or whatever

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

jt's ok if you want paper (awards).

a certificate hangs on the wall: "My Computer Worked All States"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

longview posted:

Nice chodetenna. What is it about thicker conductors that gives the antenna a wider bandwidth anyways?

• Locked thread