Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Can you imagine using your cellphone to pay for things? madness

Hmmm, yes, my weed dispensary is having problems getting a bank account, better switch to Bitcoin and make sure that I'll never be able to get a bank account under any circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
*makes higher education mandatory for poo poo jobs that pay barely above minimum wage while raising the non-dischargable debt level required to attend college to astronomical levels*

"we live in a meritocracy :downs:"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cold on a Cob posted:

*makes higher education mandatory for poo poo jobs that pay barely above minimum wage while raising the non-dischargable debt level required to attend college to astronomical levels*

"we live in a meritocracy :downs:"

who is the person in this post

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Tanith posted:

is there any fiction out there where this is the case

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

theflyingorc posted:

who is the person in this post

nobody specific i'm just loling at how hosed university is but seriously student loans should be dischargeable or college fees capped

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
- student loan debt can't be discharged by bankruptcy bc all new college grads are basically bankrupt and have very little to lose by declaring it to save a few hundred thousand dollars down the line

- student loan interest rates are low compared to normal interest rates. you are typically advised to pay off all other debt before student loan debt bc of this

that being said, there should be a time limit at which point bankruptcy discharges student loan debts. if applicable, at least part of that cost should be eaten by the school that happily sold a teenager a $300,000 degree in something useless/unmarketable

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if applicable, at least part of that cost should be eaten by the school that happily sold a teenager a $300,000 degree in something useless/unmarketable

iirc after the 2008 economic crash, some graduates filed a class action against their school because of this (mostly leveraging their advertisements claiming 95% job placement rates and the like)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
my other favorite part (to continue this derail), is how schools market, or at the very least tacitly allow students to believe, that you get a diploma to get a job.

then, when you find out that your women's studies degree is worthless, they tell you that the purpose of college is to make you a well rounded individual (as if that is worth $100k+)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
ya in the uk you don't start repaying your loan until you're earning £21k+ (depending on when you started uni, it's different for older loans), at which point it comes out of your pretax salary. it gets written off after 25 years no matter what, and you're unlikely to have more than about £40k student debt in the first place

even so it's a lovely system and the government's own figures predict that fully half of the loan money will never be repaid. make education free to all imo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

- student loan debt can't be discharged by bankruptcy bc all new college grads are basically bankrupt and have very little to lose by declaring it to save a few hundred thousand dollars down the line

My favorite part is the intense marketing and social pressure to make people believe that the "few hundred thousand dollars" even for an ultra-specialized degree isn't completely abhorrent (and that's coming from someone who avoided the trap altogether)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
yea im all for holding schools accountable for their poo poo. the availability of student loan money and the naivete of teenagers means schools have very little incentive to keep costs reasonable, and they compete with each other based on fancy expensive campuses. not to mention the for-profit schools whose degrees are worthless to begin with. poo poo's hosed.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
my kid watches cartoon network and the ads are hilariously bimodal. half are selling toys to children and half are selling life-improvement to man-children. lots of ads for earning college degrees over teh internet (also, baldness treatments lol)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

in germany tutition is like 250 euros per semester

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

in germany tutition is like 250 euros per semester

you don't even have to go that far, glorious quebec is in the $1250CAD range if you want to stick with the eastern time zone. i think you have to be a citizen to get that rate but canadian citizenship is probably cheaper than u.s. post-secondary education

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

univbee posted:

you don't even have to go that far, glorious quebec is in the $1250CAD range if you want to stick with the eastern time zone. i think you have to be a citizen to get that rate but canadian citizenship is probably cheaper than u.s. post-secondary education

im eu anyway, but the germany price is for both domestic and international students. its basically free and what you do pay is admin costs. obviously u sitll need to pay for ur living etc but it helps make it possible to self fund rather than need loans.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

im eu anyway, but the germany price is for both domestic and international students. its basically free and what you do pay is admin costs. obviously u sitll need to pay for ur living etc but it helps make it possible to self fund rather than need loans.

oh right, you're out of the uk

and yeah, some of my classmates were working minimum wage part-time jobs (full time during the summer) and completely self-funded their university education here in quebec (as well as their living expenses) and came out of it debt-free

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

theflyingorc posted:

lol what

there are many parts of the college machine that are dumb, but the people who loaned you money to get one are basically just regular lenders

they're knowingly profiting off what amounts to extortion, so, gently caress 'em

also, even "regular" lenders are also typically a blight on society but in most cases an individual has various effective means of recourse. in this case, the only option is to try to cheat their system

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Stux posted:

im eu anyway, but the germany price is for both domestic and international students.

this is loving insane. why don't - I have to tell my younger cousins this asap

I could have studied abroad in Germany for about the same as it cost me to go to uni 15 minutes from my house?

and I had a 75% scholarship

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

indigi posted:

I could have studied abroad in Germany for about the same as it cost me to go to uni 15 minutes from my house?

if you move straight onto a masters at the same university its the same pricing scheme. PHDs are also the same price for the first 6 semesters at least iirc.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do any other EU countries do that? I'm racist against Germans tbh and would rather recommend my family study somewhere else

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sounds like the debt should be bankruptable and the lenders need to make sure they're making good loans imho

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

indigi posted:

do any other EU countries do that? I'm racist against Germans tbh and would rather recommend my family study somewhere else

idk probably but also u suck

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

based on my personal belief? hmm sounds like something a Nazi might say

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Krinkle posted:

yeah asimov wrote it
all the troubles of the world

http://www.mcguiremarks.com/uploads/3/9/7/9/39793909/isaac_asimov-all_the_troubles_of_the_world_(1).pdf

it owns

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 29, 2015

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
thradium:toot:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

indigi posted:

yeah lots although not all of them teach in english http://www.studyineurope.eu/tuition-fees

Stux posted:

also u suck

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

indigi posted:

There was an article on the BBC website about this back in June.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32821678

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Mr. Apollo posted:

There was an article on the BBC website about this back in June.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32821678

they made that picture look all dirty and it's covered in artifacts, impressive

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

i got a free uni education and i work in an international company among people that are in debt because of their degrees from some high-brow universities which turned out to be meaningless because portfolio is all that matters in the architectural industry and nobody cares what you finished as long as you worked on good projects.

poo poo is hosed, these people should have been told this before they started their harvard programs, somebody is laughing on his way to the bank at this one

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

univbee posted:

American community colleges and profession schools have comparable rates to that, but there is a huge propoganda campaign at every high school trying to convince you that they're worthless.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

yeah lots although not all of them teach in english http://www.studyineurope.eu/tuition-fees

holy gently caress, France. what a deal. I might go back to school

qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Palpek posted:

i got a free uni education and i work in an international company among people that are in debt because of their degrees from some high-brow universities which turned out to be meaningless because portfolio is all that matters in the architectural industry and nobody cares what you finished as long as you worked on good projects.

poo poo is hosed, these people should have been told this before they started their harvard programs, somebody is laughing on his way to the bank at this one

I think this is true of most industries: as long as you can foot-in-the-door a single good job (even if it's temporary) and have that as past work experience, your diploma means pretty much gently caress-all

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
so does that mean that bitcoiner who gambled away his sister's college fund was doing her a favour?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Stux posted:

if you move straight onto a masters at the same university its the same pricing scheme. PHDs are also the same price for the first 6 semesters at least iirc.

who pays for masters and phds anyway though? i guess if you're getting like an mba or something, but otherwise you have to teach classes or do research or both so it's free

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

e^^^ really? I know you get a stipend for that stuff but nobody I know actually makes enough off that to cover their expenses

jony ive aces posted:

so does that mean that bitcoiner who gambled away his sister's college fund was doing her a favour?

no because if he made any money off it she would never know

indigi fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 29, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fermun posted:

who pays for masters and phds anyway though? i guess if you're getting like an mba or something, but otherwise you have to teach classes or do research or both so it's free

ppl in germany dont.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

fermun posted:

indigi posted:

e^^^ really? I know you get a stipend for that stuff but nobody I know actually makes enough off that to cover their expenses

in the sciences you generally don't pay tuition past the undergraduate degree (if you are willing to teach and/or are doing active research) and you get a stipend that is basically a modest salary. I am sure there are variations and exceptions, but my stipends have always been more than enough to live on.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

DNova posted:

in the sciences you generally don't pay tuition past the undergraduate degree (if you are willing to teach and/or are doing active research) and you get a stipend that is basically a modest salary. I am sure there are variations and exceptions, but my stipends have always been more than enough to live on.

mine too for chemistry, gf got free tuition and enough stipend to live on in slavic literature too so i know it's not just science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
paying for a masters is not uncommon in the uk, but yeah if you have to pay for your own phd you probably shouldn't be doing a phd in the first place

• Locked thread