Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aw, he's almost charming like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man his face is all dented, his arm is totally mutilated, and he seems thin. Dude got obliterated by something.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Zimmy packs a hell of a punch for such a tiny frame.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So I guess this is where we find out how this guy ever got friends in the first place huh?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Itzena posted:

I've got this faint sense that this might just end with Tony breaking down and begging Donnie to help with Antimony because he has absolutely no idea how to reach the real her - something like he's waiting for her to start acting like Surma Jr. (because he remember how to manage that) without figuring out that there's a fair old chunk of Carver stoicism in there as well.

I mean, from the reports he's gotten she's certainly been acting a lot like her mother - medium-in-training, spending time in the woods, paying as little attention as possible to the rules so he comes in expecting that to continue but she suddenly clams up and becomes...well, what she's become in the last few chapters.

That's how I see this going as well. As far as Tony goes, taking care of Annie has always been someone else's problem. When he was working on a cure for Surma, she was looking after Annie and when she died, Annie became Tony's problem, but he solved that by foisting her off onto the court. Now he's back, and Annie is once again his to care for and as we've seen, he's got absolutely no idea.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
i'm actually having a bit of trouble putting a voice to this guy now that he's all Smile McJerkyjerk. What accent does Tony speak in?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

i'm actually having a bit of trouble putting a voice to this guy now that he's all Smile McJerkyjerk. What accent does Tony speak in?
I'd guess he worked for years at developing an extremely unremarkable BBC announcer-esque Received Pronunciation accent.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yes I'm definitely hearing the voice of a man who could read the shipping forecast.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Tender Child Loins posted:

This is so creepy. I'm going to have to block whoever gets his face as an avatar.

You know, I almost didn't make an av of this...but then suddenly got inspired to all of a sudden.

Sit, sit.
Stay awhile...
stay forever.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 1, 2016

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
"Hah, no"

"I came back to kick the little poo poo that did this to me's teeth in."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sniper4625 posted:

He's...smiling. :stare:

It's a good look for him, really. Better than his usual stoicism, at least.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wonder if Annie is watching yet. These few pages are really great and I cannot wait for Friday's.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:stonk:

drat Tony

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So just to make sure I'm not confused - this is taking place some time after the failed dinner, yeah?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Since Annie is in her school uniform and she hadn't worn it at the dinner, it must at least be the next day - presumably late afternoon or evening since neither Annie, Tony nor Don are busy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that gets me about this page is how natural the smile looks on Antony's face.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm a bit disappointed he doesn't have the same problem as Jones, to be honest.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Podima posted:

So just to make sure I'm not confused - this is taking place some time after the failed dinner, yeah?

I'm not sure, but I don't get the impression that Anthony was really phased by the dinner and needed time to cool off. Just cause he doesn't seem comfortable expressing himself in front of people (with the exception of Donnie and presumably Surma) doesn't mean that he took personal offense to anything that was going on. He simply might have wanted to end an awkward situation as fast as possible, just as he'll use work as an excuse to do the same. Tony and Donnie seem to have a close enough relationship where they are free to be frank and not take offense. Though he probably didn't want to have that talk in front of the kids, and Donnie picked up on that. If anyone is pissed right now, it might be Donnie cause he has yet to smile or anything here.

Maybe one day Annie will get to have smiling jokester tony in her life, but the fact that he treats her so probably indicates that he has no idea how to interact with her. Possibly due to resentment about Surma's death, but it could just be he has no idea about how to be a father and so he just emotionally walls himself off and runs away because that's his response to every difficult interpersonal problem so far that we've seen. That's my random speculation anyways.

Great updates and I love that Tom manages to make this stuff even more compelling than all the etheric and magic stuff.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm a bit disappointed he doesn't have the same problem as Jones, to be honest.

Now I'm just waiting for the shop of Anthony's smiling face on Jones' head.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

This page is having the opposite effect on me and making me more angry that he didn't even attempt to show an ounce of affection for his daughter.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

a bloody icon posted:

This page is having the opposite effect on me and making me more angry that he didn't even attempt to show an ounce of affection for his daughter.
Maybe he did.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah like how he shamed her for the makeup, and didn't let her know he was coming back until their paths crossed.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

^^ haha, drat

Knockout drug in the whiskey, knockout drug in the whiskey, knockout drug in the whiskey....
:pray:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Chard posted:

Knockout drug in the whiskey, knockout drug in the whiskey, knockout drug in the whiskey....
Man use your head a little. Why would you want to silence the forthcoming answers?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Jackard posted:

Man use your head a little. Why would you want to silence the forthcoming answers?

Tony is full of lies, but if we could ransack his apartment (e: for more than like 30 seconds) I bet we'd find cool evil stuff.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chard posted:

Tony is full of lies, but if we could ransack his apartment I bet we'd find cool evil stuff.

A Sonny and Cher poster and matching costumes

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

... Huh.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe Annie is a poo poo tier daughter and he just plain doesn't like her :shrug:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

IUG posted:

Yeah like how he shamed her for the makeup, and didn't let her know he was coming back until their paths crossed.
My point was that Tony is a huge fuckup whose callous and hurtful behavior is unrelated to his inner self and intentions.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

a bloody icon posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, he is a horrible dad. He withholds affection, ignores her for years, humiliates her in public and cuts her off from most of her friends and her support network she had built up. Renard, the dude who tried to kill her once, is 10x the father figure he is which is really saying something. (Though Donnie is best dad of course)

But that said, hes a very complicated character and it'll be interesting to see what happens, if Annie is able to better understand him and either reject him or try to rebuild their relationship into something healthier for the both of them. It's doubtful Anthony is going to be the person to make that happen so it's going to be Annie who gets to make that call most likely.

^^^ I know that's a joke but if Annie has problems relating to people, that's probably her dad's fault too. She started the comic very reserved and emotionally distant and has only now been able to get to a better place. Her father returns and all that isolation comes back and it's likely not a coincidence. How much was she suffering at the start of the comic, before she had friends or people to really talk to and get her? Right after her mother died, her dad just ups and leaves her in a strange place and then never tries to contact her or reassure her or anything.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think it is a bit early to say he is withholding affection. Being unable to show or showing affection in very bizarre ways is very different to withholding it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maybe Tony thinks negging Antimony will make her like him more.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Surma already told us he loves her. Man why you gotta doubt good ol' dead Surma.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

EmmyOk posted:

I think it is a bit early to say he is withholding affection. Being unable to show or showing affection in very bizarre ways is very different to withholding it.
It was early, until Tony started showing affection in a fairly normal way for Donnie.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

It was early, until Tony started showing affection in a fairly normal way for Donnie.

That does not mean he has affection for Annie. I think he does personally but not necessarily. Also a relationship with an old pal is very different to one with your estranged daughter whom you abandoned. Withholding affection means he likes Annie and is purposefully being cruel which I don't think is the case.

I like your Netero icon.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Blackheart posted:

Maybe Annie is a poo poo tier daughter and he just plain doesn't like her :shrug:

Or she looks remarkably similar to the wife who he loved dearly. You know, the one that died because Antimony exists.

He's an rear end in a top hat but I can certainly understand some of the "why" he acts the way he does.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Of course the "why" is understandable.

It doesn't make it excusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
We've been told that Tony worries about relationships to the point where he acts emotionless and hurts people he cares about.

quote:

The more he beat himself up over Brinnie, the quieter he became when we were in a group. Frankly, Brinnie was starting to get offended
From page 1012. The story about Tony starts on page 1010.

eta: A familiar, emotionless expression

eta2: This got mentioned a couple days ago :(

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 29, 2015