Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just glad my main plays almost exactly the same as before. I just replaced Ruin with Broil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Is there a 'best' GC for pvp on excal? I'm twin adders and we win frontlines maybe one out of five times.

Win rates vary like crazy depending on the day, especially in Seal Luck. Given that there are three sides competing, the "ideal" win rate is about 33%. I have a 34% win rate on Adders, which is within the expected variance, but it really highlights what a bad loving idea a 3-side PVP match is (because, psychologically speaking, I don't want to lose goddamn 66% of the time!).

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Do pre made pvp groups go up against other premade pvp groups?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Holyshoot posted:

Do pre made pvp groups go up against other premade pvp groups?

Only in Wolves Den.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MohShuvuu posted:

Only in Wolves Den.

So you could go into the new pvp map with a premade and destroy pubbies?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Holyshoot posted:

So you could go into the new pvp map with a premade and destroy pubbies?
In as much as 8 people out of 24 can win against 48.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Potato Jones posted:

In as much as 8 people out of 24 can win against 48.

Sometimes it feels like 8v64.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Having 8 organized people who know how to spread out to capture nodes and not get suckered into full-scale brawls over nodes with 10% remaining can help a lot, but so can having three nodes or an S-rank spawn right next to your base. The new map is just a gigantic hot mess.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Vermain posted:

Having 8 organized people who know how to spread out to capture nodes and not get suckered into full-scale brawls over nodes with 10% remaining can help a lot, but so can having three nodes or an S-rank spawn right next to your base. The new map is just a gigantic hot mess.

is it a good hot mess like modern warfare 2 or a bad hot mess like battlefield 4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rei_ posted:

is it a good hot mess like modern warfare 2 or a bad hot mess like battlefield 4

There are lots of cliffs to punt people off, so the former.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kirbysuperstar posted:

There are lots of cliffs to punt people off, so the former.

Ive never really pvped so I genuinely don't know. Can a warrior use holmgang while in the air? If so could you jump off a cliff near a target and grab them before you drop? Cause that seems like it would be a fun thing to do.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rei_ posted:

The luck-based component is absolutely terrible. I had a game last night where the Adders spawned in the caves, with three nodes appearing on the first wave right next to us. During the entire game, a total of about 3-4 nodes spawned outside of the caves, whereas we just got spawn after spawn inside the cave (including several A-ranks). We were handed the game on a silver platter, and it required zero effort on our parts.

They also have really got to move away from the 24v24v24 model. Any nuance in play goes out the window when you've got 9-12 potential targets with spell effects getting barfed up everywhere you turn. There's simply too many variables at once to process properly, and it diminishes the enjoyment of actually fighting people significantly. My sole game plan as Paladin is to find a vulnerable target, move in with my main damage combo, and hope to kill them in a small window before they either get Recouperate off or someone else heals them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vermain posted:

The luck-based component is absolutely terrible. I had a game last night where the Adders spawned in the caves, with three nodes appearing on the first wave right next to us. During the entire game, a total of about 3-4 nodes spawned outside of the caves, whereas we just got spawn after spawn inside the cave (including several A-ranks). We were handed the game on a silver platter, and it required zero effort on our parts.

They also have really got to move away from the 24v24v24 model. Any nuance in play goes out the window when you've got 9-12 potential targets with spell effects getting barfed up everywhere you turn. There's simply too many variables at once to process properly, and it diminishes the enjoyment of actually fighting people significantly. My sole game plan as Paladin is to find a vulnerable target, move in with my main damage combo, and hope to kill them in a small window before they either get Recouperate off or someone else heals them.

Better idea: Don't solo queue Frontlines as a Paladin.

They're great if you're in a premade with voice chat but dead weight otherwise

Edit: Tbh the primary problem with Seal Rock right now is the western spawn. The RNG favors no side like that side. The terrain and tomeliths are so much in its favor it's nuts.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Better idea: Don't solo queue Frontlines as a Paladin.

They're great if you're in a premade with voice chat but dead weight otherwise

This doesn't address the main point of my complaint: the huge number of variables at play in an average Frontlines battle means that anything beyond the most rudimentary of combat tactics (kill someone with burst damage) goes out the window. This changes in small skirmishes, but those are so infrequent as to be nonexistent.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
One of the main flaws of Frontlines is that it highlights how terrible the targeting system is. There's no enmity list, so you can either click on the person you want to attack (and accidentally click one of the three people stacked on top of him in the clusterfuck megabrawl you're loving around in) or you can tab target, and mash tab for ten seconds as you switch between people on the other end of the map while the guy you want to kill gets away.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ive never really pvped so I genuinely don't know. Can a warrior use holmgang while in the air? If so could you jump off a cliff near a target and grab them before you drop? Cause that seems like it would be a fun thing to do.

My friend tested this out. The timing is tight but you can holmgang while jumping off and it will drag your target to their death but (and this is the part I'm not sure of) you also died in the process. I think he tested it in PVE and he didn't die but every time he tried in PVP he died.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Freak Futanari posted:

One of the main flaws of Frontlines is that it highlights how terrible the targeting system is. There's no enmity list, so you can either click on the person you want to attack (and accidentally click one of the three people stacked on top of him in the clusterfuck megabrawl you're loving around in) or you can tab target, and mash tab for ten seconds as you switch between people on the other end of the map while the guy you want to kill gets away.

this is why you learn to manipulate the camera to use tab targeting

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Doublestep posted:

That's fidgety enough in PvE content, and practically impossible when you've got a team of enemies all running around your field of view randomly and you just want to target the healer you just ran up to.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
It's definitely impossible thats why people have been doing it since frontlines launch

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Doublestep posted:

It's definitely impossible thats why people have been doing it since frontlines launch

I'm glad that people are putting their autism spectrum disorders to good use by creating a complex system of ropes and pulleys that enables an elaborate camera management system where you move the camera 3.4cm up and 6cm to the left so you can tab-click exactly twice to get to the proper target.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Hey if you cant use your camera properly there's some baby pve you can do thats more your speed

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

I'm glad that people are putting their autism spectrum disorders to good use by creating a complex system of ropes and pulleys that enables an elaborate camera management system where you move the camera 3.4cm up and 6cm to the left so you can tab-click exactly twice to get to the proper target.

Please don't automatically assume people who are better than you at video games are autistic.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Doublestep posted:

Or just set shift+tab to target nearest enemy because the closest person to you if you're a tank/melee should be the healer you're pressuring/killing since you should be all over their face until they die or give up on healing anyone but themselves

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Doublestep posted:

Hey if you cant use your camera properly there's some baby pve you can do thats more your speed

How about you use your savant camera skills to locate and promptly fuckin' kiss my rear end, pal

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Freak Futanari posted:

lmao this is some unreal projection

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
:yikes:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

How about you use your savant camera skills to locate and promptly fuckin' kiss my rear end, pal
:iceburn:

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
This game's targeting system is easily one of its worst 'features' and if you try to defend it then lol. Pretty much every game has done tab targeting better.

But Yoship plz fix! "server limitations sorry"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The targeting system in this game is kind of balls, but I also solely use Butcher's Block combo while tanking, so it's not like I was doing a great job to begin with.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I really like the image of doublestep having an elaborate rope and pulley system around his desk attached to his mouse though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Freak Futanari posted:

Same poo poo, Different Day.
:gitgud:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I told you guys people getting platinum mad about pvp is the best part of pvp.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It's possible to overcome the bad tab targeting, but it's still bad.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Touchfuzzy posted:

If by that, you mean "if I wanted cast times attached to my skills, I would be a loving BLM" then I don't get it because you can turn Minuet off?

This isn't a valid argument, because aside from it feeling better, there are no positive qualities to playing Bard without Minuet. If you try to do progression content as a Bard without WM, you are actively holding back your entire raid group in hopes they can compensate for your dogshit DPS.

I would assume people play DPS in order to do the most damage per second they possibly can. Refusing to use an ability that allows you do more numbers because you don't like how it feels means one of two things: You need to get over it, or you need find a new Job.

WM being a stance you can turn on and off is at best a way to throw out a few more GCDs during heavy movement, and at worst it's an illusion of choice.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Targeting is balls, sure, but YoshiP mistreats all men equally with PS3 limitations. Telling someone to gitgud with a bad system that isn't going to change that literally everyone else is also forced to use is hardly unreasonable.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've learned to play it finally but I still don't enjoy it. I maintain my "if I wanted to be a BLM I would have been a loving BLM stance."

Speaking of salt, this stance has always bugged me as a Black Mage. I get that having cast times is kinda wonky for people who got very used to being bards in 2.x, but man. They're 1.5s casts and once you actually practice it, slide casting lets you move for approximately .5s of that. You have the majority of your GCD free to move and if you suddenly find yourself inside a bigass Orange circle of doom, you can dip out of WM for a couple GCDs and barely feel the DPS loss.

Contrast that to being the least mobile class in the entire game with cast times frequently longer than our GCD meaning any oGCD usage will clip slightly.

It's kinda lame that WM can be awkward at times (trying to find the GCD space for all your oGCDs without clipping, etc) but seriously bards still have top tier mobility in the ranged dps department and great versatility, and they're still a great pick for handling mechanics without a huge dps loss. The bard role has not changed.

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 29, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

as someone who rides the gobwalker in Alexander 2 Savage let me tell you about tab targeting and the targeting bar not having enough entries to show the bomb at certain points

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Vermain posted:

Win rates vary like crazy depending on the day, especially in Seal Luck. Given that there are three sides competing, the "ideal" win rate is about 33%. I have a 34% win rate on Adders, which is within the expected variance, but it really highlights what a bad loving idea a 3-side PVP match is (because, psychologically speaking, I don't want to lose goddamn 66% of the time!).

FWIW, my Seal Rock lifetime record (as an Aether Flame, mind), is like 38-14-6. Good calls and good healing will win you the majority of your matches if you're evenly matched or the better pvp GC.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If I could make one change to BLM right now, it'd be for thundercloud procs to cast during Enochian to either be completely OGCD or for them to add 3 seconds to the duration of astral fire, umbral ice, and enochian itself. Otherwise I think the class is very well put together, and the fact that F4/B4 don't refresh astral/umbral is an important part of making sure that you still have a reason to cast the lower-level spells.

I am sad that there's no Lvl60 flare-equivalent megaspell you're always thinking about building up to or sneaking into your rotation, though. I wish Flare had equal or higher potency to Fire 4 so that there'd be some incentive to throw one out besides happening to fall into the ~1000 mana with at least 8 or 9 seconds left on Enochian sweet spot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ferrinus posted:

If I could make one change to BLM right now, it'd be for thundercloud procs to cast during Enochian to either be completely OGCD or for them to add 3 seconds to the duration of astral fire, umbral ice, and enochian itself. Otherwise I think the class is very well put together, and the fact that F4/B4 don't refresh astral/umbral is an important part of making sure that you still have a reason to cast the lower-level spells.

I am sad that there's no Lvl60 flare-equivalent megaspell you're always thinking about building up to or sneaking into your rotation, though. I wish Flare had equal or higher potency to Fire 4 so that there'd be some incentive to throw one out besides happening to fall into the ~1000 mana with at least 8 or 9 seconds left on Enochian sweet spot.

I keep trying to sneak in lightning and thundercloud procs, but any time its not during umbral ice it just messes everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tenzarin posted:

I keep trying to sneak in lightning and thundercloud procs, but any time its not during umbral ice it just messes everything up.

Yeah, it feels awful and it's really hard to figure out if it actually helps. Like, thunderclouded T3 is 390 on hit and then 320 more if it runs its full duration, right? An AF3 Fire IV hits for 504 potency straight up (Astral Fire III is 180% damage, right? I've seen it listed as like 187.5% in places). So, uh, as long as your target has 15 seconds or fewer left on an already-existing Thunder DoT, hitting them with thunderclouded T3 rather than F4 is technically a damage gain...?

It's just not as smooth as the level 50 rotation - you're not actually excited to get Thundercloud procs because half the time they're newbie traps.

• Locked thread